Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

caseyann wrote: »
    Lmao :D No you buy stamps for tv licence in post office they give you a book and stick them in it.When you have them all you can buy your tv licence with them;)

Ah right, that was news to me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,941 ✭✭✭caseyann

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Ah right, that was news to me :p

Lmao :D Yeah i never get them always panic at last minute and kill myself with 160 euro pay out instead of doing that smart thing and buying the stamps over the year :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Go onto the An Post website. You can download the form there to pay by Direct Debit. €14 or so a month, about 3 pints. We don't have to pay the BBC licence so it works out ok overall.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

Does anyone know if your renting a place but its not for a year can you pay for like half a year??
    Or can you keep buying stamps until your moving out and then stop or are you obligated to pay it all??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

In Ireland yes see this thread although if your moving house (to another address within the Republic of Ireland which doesnt already have a licence) you can get your licence transferred

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

This is the reason i'd never pay

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Paigne

Hahaha the reason I want to pay is the fines :(

Degsy wrote: »
    This is the reason i'd never pay

This is yet another good reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Doesn't the licence fee pay for regulation of radio signals and the like? So the ability of the emergency services to communicate is part of it! It certainly doesn't all go to RTE. It obviously is more expensive because people aren't paying. We aren't only country to have ads on state funded TV and radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

I moved into a house in March this year. From the first week I moved in I was getting letters saying the licence was due. Didn't pay much attention to them, I wasn't planning on staying there too long. I had been in the process of moving out for the last month or so and went down to move the last of my stuff out last weekend. I opened the door and along with the 6 million chinese takeaway menu's behind it, there was a letter from the TV licence inspector saying that he had called but no one was home, also said he had seen a TV set in the house, which means the fucker had been peering in through my windows. Now screw him and his TV licence I successfully evaded paying. Mickos 1 - RTE, An Post and the peeping tom 0. UH yeah baby:D

• Advertisement

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Doesn't the licence fee pay for regulation of radio signals and the like? So the ability of the emergency services to communicate is part of it! .

No
    mickos wrote: »
    there was a letter from the TV licence inspector saying that he had called but no one was home, also said he had seen a TV set in the house, which means the fucker had been peering in through my windows.
    Assuming hes not bluffing RE: seeing the set. He hasnt established who (im assuming here youre not the only person resident at the address in question) is in possession of said TV set (assuming he was able to identify it a a TV set as opposed to some knd of computer monitor) He hasnt specified either if he has any photographs taken to support his claim but even then he would be on shaky ground as to the legality of the manner in which the "evidence" was obtained.

However Its very likely he will be back so I would make a point of being careful about who you open the door to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

"We've heard all the excuses"

However if you come up with a new one we haven't heard before then we'll give you a walk-on part for our tv ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Worst mistake I ever made(well almost the worst!)was getting a licence. I didn't have one for years,first sniff of an inspector and now have to have it every year. I honestly resent paying it,only for my kids I would do away with the tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭jif

get someone down the road on lookout for them when they're coming (they drive around in fluerescent orange coloured vans) and then quickly get all your TV's and chuck them in the front garden so they see them on their way in and say "see I dont have any TV's in the house"

- then when they go put them back - problem solved.

bonus points for sticking out your tongue a them and blowing raspberries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Its been mentioned already. Tv license to pay RTE who also get income from advertising.?? Disgrace. I defy anyone to give me a good reason they are even asking us to pay a license. They are a commercial station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

still waiting on the tv licence man...

seems a bluff?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Eh it's called a tv license, not a license to watch rte. They don't give a shoite what you watch, if you have a tv you legally have to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Tea_Bag wrote: »

seems a bluff?

He came round to my house a few weeks back.

I told him I didn't speak English.

He totally bought it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

not really sure what forum to post this on, but ill try here...

Got a letter in the post this morning informing me that my house hasnt got a TV license on record and that an inspector will be in the area in the near future. it also goes on to say that its €160 or something for the license.

Now, i'm a pretty broke student, but some of my housemates are even more broke than me, so getting 40 euro from each of them isnt gonna be easy. i can barely get bills paid because they take soo long to come up with the cash.

My question is, should i get a license, or is the letter just some bluff and no inspector is really coming.

i wouldnt mind paying if it wasnt so expensive, and if i ever watched rte, but the channel is crap whenever i turn it on and it just seems a little rich to be paying for something i dont use..

Fecking bill dodging students, its people like you that means poor ol' pat kenny doesn't make more than a million euro a year anymore, having to settle for 950,000 instead :p

MYOB wrote: »
    You realise this is boards.ie and its relatively safe to assume a UK website doesn't have much bearing on the actual law here?

Someone really ought to set up an Irish version of those anti-TV licence websites with legal advice written by someone who actually knows what theyre talking about
    I don't believe someone who says they watch no RTE at all.

How the bloody hell would you know what other people do or dont watch :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,080 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Someone really ought to set up an Irish version of those anti-TV licence websites with legal advice written by someone who actually knows what were talking about

Pretty much everyone who's pretended to know what they're taking about on this thread, err, hasn't

Er exactly why...............

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

seems a bluff?

They called to my house 3 times in the one month looking for it, I wasn't home on any occassion but always got a letter in the door even though I already have one. Just rang them up and read out the code and everything was fine then. So don't be suprised if they do return.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

Had one yesterday on the door

Inspector: Can I see your TV license?
    Me: I don't have a TV (lying obviously)
    Inspector: Can I come in to check so?
    Me: come inn its cold today wanna a cuppa thee
    Inspector: Oh nice first time in my life someone invites me
    Me: thats the livingroom see no tv and come to the kitchen i make a cup
    Well even in here no tv and he stays in for almost a hour talking about his job and so on
    He left saying no tv in the house happy christmas

Hihi he would know what i have on the attic a complete home cinema
    Will see him never again

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭crossmolinalad

And truely no irish tv stations in the house only free to air english ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Someone really ought to set up an Irish version of those anti-TV licence websites with legal advice written by someone who actually knows what theyre talking about

How the bloody hell would you know what other people do or dont watch :rolleyes:

someone living in/from ireland who has NEVER watched rte, yeah fcuking right :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Tv licence :pac: I thought it was an urban myth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Doesn't the licence fee pay for regulation of radio signals and the like? So the ability of the emergency services to communicate is part of it! It certainly doesn't all go to RTE. It obviously is more expensive because people aren't paying. We aren't only country to have ads on state funded TV and radio.
    Hi gerry, want some more of my money!
    Iolar wrote: »
    Fcuk you TV license Laptop FTW!
    you still have to pay, you can receive rte's internet stream!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement