Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV licence

Options
  • 24-10-2009 3:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

not really sure what forum to post this on, but ill try here...

Got a letter in the post this morning informing me that my house hasnt got a TV license on record and that an inspector will be in the area in the near future. it also goes on to say that its €160 or something for the license.

Now, i'm a pretty broke student, but some of my housemates are even more broke than me, so getting 40 euro from each of them isnt gonna be easy. i can barely get bills paid because they take soo long to come up with the cash.

My question is, should i get a license, or is the letter just some bluff and no inspector is really coming.

i wouldnt mind paying if it wasnt so expensive, and if i ever watched rte, but the channel is crap whenever i turn it on and it just seems a little rich to be paying for something i dont use..
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Question is, can YOU live with the shame? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Ruu wrote: »
    of not having a TV license for channels i dont watch?

pffffft

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

He's being serious, Ruu had to move to America because he couldn't live it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Got something in the post a few weeks ago saying they would be back to check to see if I had a TV licence - threw letter in the bin and no one called back.

But that is not to say they won't call back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭A Doozer

Got the letter when all we had was an xbox going into it, no ariel on the premises. Then got the visit. She had to push me away from the door due to the verbal abuse I was hurling.

Now because of my blood pressure I just pay it every year, along with car tax, toll fees, stamp duties, ridiculous amounts of income tax and various other money making scams. Ooooh like the Nct. And I do nothing about it. Why is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/detectionandpenalties.jsp

I'd get one if only to prevent having to pay the fine.

/The amount of crap on tv at the moment would put you off.

There should be some sort of hierarchy that tv stations have to answer to though.

As in, they must show quality tv programmes if they expect a high licience fee from the viewer.

/In other words, no repeats time and time again just to fill a schedule.

After all if they expect us to pay for a licience shouldn't we in return expect a decent run of programmes?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Saibh wrote: »
    Got something in the post a few weeks ago saying they would be back to check to see if I had a TV licence - threw letter in the bin and no one called back.

But that is not to say they won't call back to you.
    thats what i was hoping to hear with this thread.

Hear hear to Irish tv being absolutely, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst pile of **** ever! I've decided on qvc over rte. Was pleasantly surprised by the lingerie. Then the comic hour came on and I kissed the rotting pile of garbage that is Irish telly goodbye.

Tea_Bag wrote: »

Tis a gamble. I lost mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,431 ✭✭✭✭Saibh

Forgot to mention I have a TV licence - so I don't have to worry if they did call back :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Got sky/NTL? Your on their system.

buy a damm tv licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

There is a thing called a computer these days, that can do every task of a TV and you can even block out RTE.

Technology moves so fast, and RTE are not going to keep up. As shown by there programmes.

I don't have any TV channels on my LCD screen, its for my computer, bring me too court and I'll rattle any judge with the facts.

1. Its not possible to receive any channel without

1, A tuner card

2, An antenna

Too which both were not supplied with my LCD screen.

And see them bringing in a broadband license or a computer license, ye sorry my computer is on a VLAN belonging to the UK.

Goon's putting there foot in where its not wanted.

Got sky/NTL? Your on their system.

buy a damm tv licence.

What has that got too do with anything ?

Both can be received threw your computer ?

There is no required fixed payment in law for a license for a set top box or satellite receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

A Doozer wrote: »
    Got the letter when all we had was an xbox going into it, no ariel on the premises. Then got the visit. She had to push me away from the door due to the verbal abuse I was hurling.

Now because of my blood pressure I just pay it every year, along with car tax, toll fees, stamp duties, ridiculous amounts of income tax and various other money making scams. Ooooh like the Nct. And I do nothing about it. Why is that?

She pushed you?
    Kick her in the face.

you need a tv licence for having a piece of equiptment that can recieve television signals.

The "i dont watch irish tv" argument doesnt stand up.

you need a tv licence for having a piece of equiptment that can recieve television signals.

The "i dont watch irish tv" argument doesnt stand up.

Only if you want it too, watching on-line programmes is conducted threw the TCP/IP layer of protocols.

If RTE put them up threw TCP/IP they can be watched freely threw any computer.

It is not viable to say you computer is a receiving device in this case.

It is not also viable to say the routers, switches & protocols are viable too.

If this is the case RTE should be making a visual viewing license, threw the use of our eyes.

msg11 wrote: »
    Only if you want it too, watching on-line programmes is conducted threw the TCP/IP layer of protocols.

Exactly, and thats why you dont have to have to buy a tv licence to watch videos on the rte site.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/detectionandpenalties.jsp

I'd get one if only to prevent having to pay the fine.

You realise this is boards.ie and its relatively safe to assume a UK website doesn't have much bearing on the actual law here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

msg11 wrote: »

It is not also viable to say the routers, switches & protocols are viable too.

If this is the case RTE should be making a visual viewing license, threw the use of our eyes.

RTE don't levy the licence fee, the state does. And computers are intended to be included as "televisions" in the next few years anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

when i was in college we didnt have a licence either.

we didnt give a **** if an inspector turned up coz we never answered the door anyway. if our mates were comin over we'd always know in advance so we just didnt answer the door. simple as that.

we got a couple of letters and all that but sure they can hardly barge in the door to "inspect" you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

A Doozer wrote: »

So wait... She forced her way in to your private accomodation?
    There's laws against that kind of ****, and TV license inspectors are most definitely not above the law!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

€160 to watch Dunphy make a fool of himself on RTE after the Champions League matches for the year is well worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Theres a TV licence thread over on R&R at the moment with some interesting legal stuff.

Unless a TV licence inspector produces a search warrant you dont have to let them in. You dont have to give them your name and in fact you dont even have to speak to them other than telling them to get the :mad::mad::mad::mad: off your property
    There's laws against that kind of ****, and TV license inspectors are most definitely not above the law!

They think they are though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I'd just tell them to get off my propertah, and come back when they have a search warrant. No judge will give them a warrant to check if there's a TV.

Actually in this country they probably would :(

Extra time bought can be used to hide the tv though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

I used to get these letters quite a bit when I was a student living in a Rathmines flat. Never paid and tv licence and never got a fine, simply because we never answered the door unless we knew it was friends of ours coming over.

Simple as that - don't open the door to them and then you don't need to bother making up excuses... or paying your licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭Bob_Harris

MYOB wrote: »
    RTE don't levy the licence fee, the state does. And computers are intended to be included as "televisions" in the next few years anyway.

If that actually goes through it's a joke.

What about laptops? They're portable and can be used anywhere so would I need a separate licence for that?

If you have no TV, but a PC/Laptop with analogue or DVB-T tuner then yeah, it's valid reason to have to pay for a licence.

If you have no TV, but a PC/Laptop with no tuner card, then it's completely nonsensical to be forced to pay the licence.

RTE Player is not a valid reason for computers to be included in the licence either. Technically it can be viewed by anyone anywhere in the world so technically they would have to enforce the licence on the whole planet.

If I have:
    an LCD TV/Monitor without tuner,
    a satellite dish,
    and a Freesat / FTA box or PC with DVB-S card

then I see no legal (apart from sheep saying "it's in the law" ) or moral obligation to pay for a TV licence if I cannot receive and decode the Public Broadcasting Stations which this TV licence funds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Mayoegian

That's not the TV license ad, that's the drink driving ad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

not really sure what forum to post this on, but ill try here...

Got a letter in the post this morning informing me that my house hasnt got a TV license on record and that an inspector will be in the area in the near future. it also goes on to say that its €160 or something for the license.

Now, i'm a pretty broke student, but some of my housemates are even more broke than me, so getting 40 euro from each of them isnt gonna be easy. i can barely get bills paid because they take soo long to come up with the cash.

My question is, should i get a license, or is the letter just some bluff and no inspector is really coming.

i wouldnt mind paying if it wasnt so expensive, and if i ever watched rte, but the channel is crap whenever i turn it on and it just seems a little rich to be paying for something i dont use..

If you don't watch TV well get rid of the TV, no need for a licence then.
    I don't believe someone who says they watch no RTE at all.
    I mean it isn't that expensive, 77cent each a week. If you can't afford to pay it all up front use the direct debit feature of paying monthly or weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

If you don't watch TV well get rid of the TV, no need for a licence then.
    I don't believe someone who says they watch no RTE at all.
    I mean it isn't that expensive, 77cent each a week. If you can't afford to pay it all up front use the direct debit feature of paying monthly or weekly.

You can use a TV for more than watching broadcasts. I have no arial connected to my tv as I only use it for playing games consoles. If RTE got rid of advertisements, had some cop on with the wages they pay, and started making good shows, I'd happily hook up my TV, pay the fee, and watch. Until then, I'm not paying for a service I dont want, like, or use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Ah, the ould drippin' tap.

Advertisement