Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Do you wish to lead the way?

Not the right question, PBJ. I think a collective decision is needed on such a step. Maybe GUBOH, as the rather amorphous collective which succeeded in having the hoardings removed and part of the harbour opened, could firm itself up, conduct soundings, and come up with a slate of candidates.

I'm not the first to wonder here why GUBOH has never called a public meeting to assess people's wishes and strategise. I think now is the time to do it and include a decision on the local elections in there. Fifteen months is not a long time to prepare an election campaign and conduct it...

Taltos wrote: »
    Maybe a giant notice board there with all of the pass commitments - who supported them and status might be good - name and shame...

Great idea!! But how long would it last? Remember how certain people ripped down/stole some of the GUBOH banners?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

@PBJ, any recent pics?

I've heard there is machinery and people on site in connection with the opening of the Marina (a whole brand new marina to be opened in 6 weeks!).

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Last week I spotted a flock of geese in the compound just accross from the sailing club. Wondered were they Brent Geese. A bit too far for me to make out the colouring. Did anybody else see these visitors? Did'nt have camera with me either to take pics. Will be back down again to see if they are still about.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

vinpaul wrote: »
    Last week I spotted a flock of geese in the compound just accross from the sailing club. Wondered were they Brent Geese. A bit too far for me to make out the colouring. Did anybody else see these visitors? Did'nt have camera with me either to take pics. Will be back down again to see if they are still about.

Yes they were Brent geese.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Great shots again John. Really like the first one - wishing I still had my kayak :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

For some reason, the geese and various other birds seem to like hanging out at the far end of the golf driving range, just out of golf ball range. I suppose it has food, and is free of dogs and foxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

I see work has finally commenced on the marina. A welcome development. Now perhpas we can pursusade WCC to help the operator run his business by cleaning up the surroundings and making it an attractive place to leave a boat as opposed to a derelict building site.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

^^^ I forget, is it supposed to be a harbour or a dump?

Clearly you have not been reading the literture distributed by some of our local public represntatives. If you did you would know that this area has been "landscaped"

Really, some people. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

^^^ I forget, is it supposed to be a harbour or a dump?

It's a building site.

It's a building site.

And it will be until all the work is finished

Well a "building site" does imply that something is being "built" There has been no construction work on this site for 3 years. Notwithstanding the assertions over the last two years that a medical center is starting next week/next month/in the next few months/soon, etc it is reasonable to conclude that there will not be any construction work anytime in the forseeable future.
    Various pieces of rusty metal and building materials have been left (dumped?) by WCC on the site. Therefore I think the term "dump" is equally accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Well a "building site" does imply that something is being "built" There has been no construction work on this site for 3 years. Notwithstanding the assertions over the last two years that a medical center is starting next week/next month/in the next few months/soon, etc it is reasonable to conclude that there will not be any construction work anytime in the forseeable future.
    Various pieces of rusty metal and building materials have been left (dumped?) by WCC on the site. Therefore I think the term "dump" is equally accurate.

So the crane in the photos on March 1st is doing what exactly?

So the crane in the photos on March 1st is doing what exactly?

The part which causes offence to so many and is described as a dump is the land side of the harbour where nothing is happpening nor will happen. I dont think anyone has a problem with the water side-where they are building a marina. Indeed it would be nice if we could see it without having to climb over a fence.

I did the 'walk of shame' just this weekend, from the harbour to the Gap Bridge mark and back. I notice that Sisk have, in fact, been using their derelict site precisely as a dump.

Lots more old junk, pieces of fencing, lumps of concrete, scaffolding, and piping have been added to the pile they left when they decamped the scene back in 2010. It's all easily visible as you head for the Cliff Walk. There seems also to be a rather old demolition machine abandoned on the site.

Surely this is unauthorised waste disposal? Do Sisk have a licence to dump here?

• Advertisement

All this talk about a dump at the harbour area brings back so many childhood memories. When Wicklow County Council had a dump there and guys like Ritchie Cox and Jack Keddy and others made a living by emptying ashpits on the Burnaby and bringing their loaded dreys to the dump. And later on when Wicklow Co. Council started a household rubbish colllection in the Greystones area, the 2 Sutton brothers took the rubbish they collected in their purpose built tractor trailer to the Greystones dump. At that time the Cliff Walk was a famous place for hundreds of walkers who didn't think that the sight of a dump on the approach to Greystones was anything to worry about or put them off using the walk. So why worry now?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭clocha_liatha

I am looking forward to a new modern harbour compared to what it is replacing.
    4038302328_f11a443faf.jpg

Still looking forward pixbyjohn? , i would have the old harbour back in place of whats there now in the blink of an eye. this whole development was foisted on greystones against a lot of public support at the time for a much smaller development. the area north of the harbour towards bray is a disgrace and terming it a dump is not far off the truth.
    Btw really enjoy your local pics

Still looking forward pixbyjohn? , i would have the old harbour back in place of whats there now in the blink of an eye. this whole development was foisted on greystones against a lot of public support at the time for a much smaller development. the area north of the harbour towards bray is a disgrace and terming it a dump is not far off the truth.
    Btw really enjoy your local pics

Hi, yes I am still looking forward to it, it will be a long time coming I know. The joy is in the expectation.
    part of that area has been a dump for more years than you or I remember.
    Thanks for your comments on my photos, I enjoy capturing and sharing them.

All this talk about a dump at the harbour area brings back so many childhood memories. When Wicklow County Council had a dump there and guys like Ritchie Cox and Jack Keddy and others made a living by emptying ashpits on the Burnaby and bringing their loaded dreys to the dump. And later on when Wicklow Co. Council started a household rubbish colllection in the Greystones area, the 2 Sutton brothers took the rubbish they collected in their purpose built tractor trailer to the Greystones dump. At that time the Cliff Walk was a famous place for hundreds of walkers who didn't think that the sight of a dump on the approach to Greystones was anything to worry about or put them off using the walk. So why worry now?

In fairness John the old dump was awful and a disgrace to the town. There was a lot less people on the cliff walk back then. The dump was probably at least a part of the cause.
    In addition the "town Dump" was a feature of many Irish towns back in the 60's. The fact that we had very poor refuse treatment facilities in the past doesnt mean we should tolerate it now nor ideed willfully create such a mess.

The fact that we had very poor refuse treatment facilities in the past doesnt mean we should tolerate it now nor ideed willfully create such a mess.

But it is being tolerated!

But it is being tolerated!

Not by me and those involved in GUBOH. We have been working for two years now to improve the area with limited success.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

Not by me and those involved in GUBOH. We have been working for two years now to improve the area with limited success.

its nearly three now, Fiachra

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

F3 wrote: »
    just saw this..................my God, talk about conceited

That thread was closed for a reason, please don't bring it up here.

• Advertisement

A timely reminder: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69501381&postcount=409

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dyflin
    Care to take a wager on that? Rumour mill in full flow that the marina is opening for next summer.
    [summer 2011, TDC]

Quote:
    A marina is a harbour with wharfs keeping boats and yachts and with services for recreational boating. A marina may have refueling, washing and repair facilities, ship chandlers, stores and restaurants. A marina may include ground facilities such as parking lots for vehicles and boat trailers. Slipways (or boat ramps) transfer a trailered boat into the water. A marina may have a boat hoist well (a traveling crane) operated by service personnel. A marina may have out-of-water-storage (drystack) — particularly useful out-of-season, and important where water freezes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marina

Advertisement