Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Does the same apply in Ireland and to commercial developments?

Yes, it is usually a condition of permission being granted
    As in>>>>7. All surface water run-off from roofs shall be collected and disposed of within the site to soakpits, drains or adjacent watercourses. In particular, no such surface water run-off shall be allowed to flow onto the public roadway or adjoining properties, nor to discharge to the effluent disposal system.

REASON: In the interests of traffic safety and residential amenity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Maudi wrote: »
    all very good.i like number seven although its a shame on those responsible that we Dont have any fishing industry at the harbour at all..the amount of potential in our seas for employment yet its hardly looked at..and a fishing villiage like greystones lying unused..shameful

Just look at the GUBOH Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/greystones/) to see how furious the local commercial fishers are about all the broken promises — they have basically been dispossessed of their berths and have to operate from elsewhere.

Amy Caviston gets locally caught fish — but the fishing boat starts from Dun Laoghaire, motors south to fish, can't land the catch at Greystones as before Sispar, so it's back to Dun Laoghaire, land the fish, stash it in the van, and drive it to Greystones so we can eat it.

How mad is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Just look at the GUBOH Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/greystones/) to see how furious the local commercial fishers are about all the broken promises — they have basically been dispossessed of their berths and have to operate from elsewhere.

Amy Caviston gets locally caught fish — but the fishing boat starts from Dun Laoghaire, motors south to fish, can't land the catch at Greystones as before Sispar, so it's back to Dun Laoghaire, land the fish, stash it in the van, and drive it to Greystones so we can eat it.

How mad is that?

I thought GUBOH had disbanded??? Are they still active?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    wow..you never realise what you had til its gone...

I thought GUBOH had disbanded??? Are they still active?

Just some politician spreading rumours, I think. GUBOH seems to be still alive and planning plotting a new Spring campaign.

Just some politician spreading rumours, I think. GUBOH seems to be still alive and planning plotting a new Spring campaign.

Fine weather campaigners :D

Fine weather campaigners :D

Good one, PBJ.

But no. GUBOH has been quiet, I am told, only because of the promise by Sisk of a final deadline for construction of the medical centre of January 2013, after Bord Pleanala approved it some months back.

My understanding is that if, with full planning, Sisk fail to start on it as promised, the new GUBOH campaign to remediate the derelict site will make their previous campaign to get rid of the hoardings look like a Sunday afternoon walk on the beach.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My understanding is that if, with full planning, Sisk fail to start on it as promised, the new GUBOH campaign to remediate the derelict site will make their previous campaign to get rid of the hoardings look like a Sunday afternoon walk on the beach.

:D

one can only hope, I look forward to the 1st Feb :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

On Monday, TV3's morning show are showing a piece about Wicklow County Council's plans to remove protection from the LaTouche hotel (paving the way for its demolition). The piece also covers the efforts of the community to rectify the dereliction of the harbour and other related topics. Show goes out at 11am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Loads of kids there who can neither remember the old harbour or vote any time soon... Mission accomplished?

Loads of kids there who can neither remember the old harbour or vote any time soon... Mission accomplished?
    this photo is so old these kids probably can vote now..when was this taken?green fields/t.shirts and the buckets n spades obviously (stickers should be removed from bulk buy sisk) very 'staged' photo..laughable and desperate.

this photo is so old these kids probably can vote now..when was this taken?green fields/t.shirts and the buckets n spades obviously (stickers should be removed from bulk buy sisk) very 'staged' photo..laughable and desperate.

This photo was taken on July 1, 2011 using a Nikon D700 by me. At a GUBOH arranged/staged bucket & spade morning at the Harbour for a photocall by Cyril Byrne of the Irish Times

This photo was taken on July 1, 2011 using a Nikon D700 by me. At a GUBOH arranged/staged bucket & spade morning at the Harbour for a photocall by Cyril Byrne of the Irish Times
    note..remove stickers .and its wrong to use kids in promos.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

very 'staged' photo..laughable and desperate.

It was very effective actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

D Day today (I might be a bit ahead of you guys though :)) any sign of construction?

• Advertisement

I can't find the press release
    Apologies, maybe it was an old article, I will look back through my email link.
    FOUND IT
    Greystones Harbour Development

From www.greystonesguide.ie

Press Release from Mayor Kathleen Kelleher

We had good news at our Greystones Town Council meeting

on Tuesday night.

It was confirmed that the required agreements and funding for the

proposed Primary Care Centre are now in place to allow the

construction to proceed.

Work will also begin on the installation of pontoon piling next month.

35 piles will be installed.

Other construction work will also take place.

It is expected that 100 berths will be available in April.

During the last year, we have been using and enjoying our harbour.

It has proved to be a welcome amenity for all in the town.

This further development will only add to our enjoyment.

I welcome Greystones’ development as a maritime community.

31/01/2013

http://www.greystonesguide.ie/greystones-harbout-development/

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Great shot John - guessing you let the gales blow you all the way back down there :)

Taltos wrote: »
    Great shot John - guessing you let the gales blow you all the way back down there :)
    I was up there (Kindlestown Woods) for a walk with my 2 daughters and grand daughter at 12.30 and it was a lovely fresh day. Weather changed at approx 2.30.
    8444578891_b93668b832_n.jpg
    A walk in the woods 4th. Feb. 2013 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

Harbour almost looks nice - but only from 3K's away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Nice photo. All that farmland in the foreground is up for rezoning at the moment. It would be interesting to take a series of them from the same spot over the next few years. (I suppose pixbyjohn has already thought of that)

Is this the fifth, sixth or seventh deadline for a start on the Med Centre that has passed without anything stirring? I've lost count.

When will our local pols wake up to what Sisk are at here? When will they think it possible to hold them to account?

I suggest NEVER. I'm thinking of a Harbour slate of candidates for next year to get rid of these layabouts and get some action on this disastrous mess. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

there was work going on this morning as I passed on the Dart - a truck was driving along the south pier (precarious, good luck reversing back off it lads...) and a digger was working on the wasteground.

I'm thinking of a Harbour slate of candidates for next year to get rid of these layabouts and get some action on this disastrous mess. Anyone?
    Do you wish to lead the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Is this the fifth, sixth or seventh deadline for a start on the Med Centre that has passed without anything stirring? I've lost count.

When will our local pols wake up to what Sisk are at here? When will they think it possible to hold them to account?

I suggest NEVER. I'm thinking of a Harbour slate of candidates for next year to get rid of these layabouts and get some action on this disastrous mess. Anyone?

Maybe a giant notice board there with all of the pass commitments - who supported them and status might be good - name and shame...

Advertisement