Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

What time was this at? Was there several times yesterday and specifically checking out the yacht that moored there last night. Seems to be no one stopping boats coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Near disaster yesterday involving a vessel cracking its hull on launching from the slip and subsequently capsizing outside the harbour, the rescue boat was engaged in untangling a vessel caught up in the recently moved Herris fence and the coast guard helicopter had to be dispatched to the capsize by a 999 call. Nobody hurt thank God, but the entire spectacle was observed by a group of anglers fishing off the east pier — probably your friends, Vinpaul.

We need rapid action from Sispar to make the area safe and open it to safe public use with by-laws and supervision. The site is totally porous, there is no live security, only NetWatch, and to ensure safety, insofar as a working harbour can be safe, it needs to be finished, have a harbour aithority, Harbour Master, by-laws and enforcement. That Herris fence has to go — they moved it a little, but as yesterday showed it is still a menace, and a junior sailing training course has just begun -- lasts for two weeks.

Don't understand remark "proably your friends, Vinpaul". Was just stating what I observed last week. I am not an angler nor do I have any fishermen among my friends. Snide remarks do not have a place on this forum. I am among many people from Greystones who would welcome the opening to the public of at least some of the completed harbour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

vinpaul wrote: »
    Don't understand remark "proably your friends, Vinpaul". Was just stating what I observed last week. I am not an angler nor do I have any fishermen among my friends. Snide remarks do not have a place on this forum. I am among many people from Greystones who would welcome the opening to the public of at least some of the completed harbour.

Not a snide remark — just referring to the guys you saw jocosely. Or is humour not allowed on the boards? Jesus!

What time was this at? Was there several times yesterday and specifically checking out the yacht that moored there last night. Seems to be no one stopping boats coming in.

Sorry, getting my days mixed up due to the long weekend. Keep thinking today is Sunday Sunday was Saturday, you know that feeling. I should have said the incident happened on Saturday, while GSC were launching from the slip. The two crew of the capsized boat actually managed to swim ashore -- the tide was taking them & the boat south and a passerby on shore called it in. Afternoon.

And yes, someone entered the inner harbour despite the 'cheeswire' cables and moored overnight. The harbour is open!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

vinpaul wrote: »
    Not a snide remark — just referring to the guys you saw jocosely. Or is humour not allowed on the boards? Jesus!

Please finish this off via pm.

• Advertisement

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Please finish this off via pm.

It's finished — OBVIOUSLY

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

5809098104_809256861b_z.jpg
    DSC_5844 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

5809091684_f1cb0a8a28_z.jpg
    DSC_5843 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

I see the offending fence in the sea has been altered away from the jetty. I suppose this makes it "safe" then or does it?

This evening
    5809491626_7cebbcc6ea_z.jpg
    DSC_5859 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

I see the offending fence in the sea has been altered away from the jetty. I suppose this makes it "safe" then or does it?

No its still a hazard. However the fact that it has been moved shows a willingness on the part of SISPAR to respond to pressure from the community. They are now coming under pressure to make some major changes so lets hope this willingness continues!

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

I note that the Facebook group "give us back our harbour" has just reached the 700 mark in members!! And I note that they have a couple of thousand names in their petition books already!!! That group was 'born' right here on page..........I gotta check, hang on.....

F3 wrote: »
    I note that the Facebook group "give us back our harbour" has just reached the 700 mark in members!! And I note that they have a couple of thousand names in their petition books already!!! That group was 'born' right here on page..........I gotta check, hang on.....

Page 41 post 612.............

The Greystones Harbour development company Sispar and the community activist group GUBOH met on 8 June, at the harbour site offices to discuss GUBOH's proposals for implementing an interim landscaping and furnishing plan which will restore full public access to the harbour and the beach to the community, and provide accommodation for boats to harbour users in the local clubs.

The overall tone of the meeting was positive, with Sispar making it clear that they share the concerns of GUBOH and the Greystones community. The company said it would do all it could to implement a plan which would meet those concerns in the shortest possible time. The GUBOH representatives made it clear that further delay on account of economic or financial circumstances, or waiting on a decision by NAMA, is unacceptable to the community, and Sispar acknowledged this.

Both Sispar and GUBOH agreed that 30 June is the deadline by which an action plan will be formulated, and that action would then take place irrespective of whether or not NAMA had made a decision by then. This will be the first step in a wider plan and will cover access to the southern end of the harbour.

The company agreed to take on board the specific proposals contained in the GUBOH document, as well as other proposals it has received, and to return with its own proposals by a target date of 27 June.

GUBOH will make a full statement later.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Langerland

Here's hoping.....And lets hope for an Indian Summer to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Mr Posh

Thanks very much GUBOH

Al least someone is working on behalf of the people…………I can't wait for the local elections

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭toitle

Well done and thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Really well done guboh, it's amazing what you have achieved so far, compared to months of 'Talk and no action' from our councilors, let's hope they keep their promise.

"Sispar accepted that the need to open up the south end of the harbour to the community is a “given”. The company accepted that a plan to do this must be finalised as quickly as possible, and implemented immediately thereafter.

Directors Paraic Keogh and Paddy O’Rourke agreed a target date of 27 June by which they would return to the community with proposals which would take into account the proposals submitted by GUBOH and other parties
    Sispar agreed that immediate action would be essential if access was to be available in time for the August Bank Holiday."

If the above work actually happens and the harbour areas mentioned are open to the public for August 2011 it will be a great boost for the people of Greystones.
    Sispar seem to be extremely cooperative. Well done to everyone involved in all the negotiations to have the harbour and surrounding areas opened to the public again.

Below is the full text of the GUBOH press release.

While great progress has been made, continuous pressure is required to try and make it happen on time. There is still a great reluctance among some of those involved to make this happen. I would encourage everyone to join our facebook group (which now has nearly 750 members) and show your support.

THE ‘Give Us Back Our Harbour’ group and directors of harbour development company Sispar held a first meeting on Wednesday 8 June and agreed several steps aimed at opening the fenced-off harbour to the public this summer.

Sispar accepted that the need to open up the south end of the harbour to the community is a “given”. The company accepted that a plan to do this must be finalised as quickly as possible, and implemented immediately thereafter.

Directors Paraic Keogh and Paddy O’Rourke agreed a target date of 27 June by which they would return to the community with proposals which would take into account the proposals submitted by GUBOH and other parties.

GUBOH handed over copies of the group’s latest proposals, updated in the light of earlier discussions and subsequent advice. Given that whatever interim works are carried out now could be in place for some years to come, the proposals stress the need for a quality approach and high standards in implementing them.

The group was represented by spokesman Basil Miller, John Byrne, Fiachra Etchingham and John FFF O’Brien. The group strongly put the case that plans to open the entire site need to be considered in the light of the economic and banking collapse and the subsequent funding shortage.

GUBOH suggested landscaping and opening up the north side of the development (apart from the area needed for the Primary Care Centre (PCC)) including the north harbour wall. Sispar agreed to consider this and engage in further consultations.

They also suggested placing fixed moorings in both inner and outer basins as a means of providing a revenue stream and opening the area to public use. The company agreed to consider this.

The GUBOH plan emphasises the need that any temporary works be of good quality and should restore the general attractiveness of the harbour area as a visitor destination, as well as giving back the amenity to the public.

“Greystones harbour has always been at the heart of the town,” Miller told the Sispar representatives. “It has been essential to tourism in the immediate area and is the termination of the Bray to Greystones Cliff Walk. It is also a hinge point in plans for a continuous coastal walk stretching from Bray to Wicklow

Because of the importance to tourism of restoring the visual attractiveness of the area, GUBOH stressed that any work must be take this wider context into account.
    “Whatever is done to ensure this must be done to quality standards. It must be acceptable both aesthetically and functionally. It must preserve the attractiveness of the spot and, in fact, it must add to and enhance the attractiveness of the area in its quality and aesthetics,” said Miller.

The GUBOH representatives emphasised the need for speedy action. Fiachra Etchingham pointed out that work on a plan submitted by 27 June would have to start on-site that same week in order to ensure the beach and other amenities would be available to the public for any substantial part of the summer.

Sispar agreed that immediate action would be essential if access was to be available in time for the August Bank Holiday.

GUBOH suggested that the area of the proposed public park be landscaped to a basic standard of quality as a second step in the process and opened as a temporary park before the end of this year.

GUBOH accepted that further consultations between Sispar and the local community would be via the meetings recommended unanimously by Town Councillors at their meeting on 31 May, where GUBOH will be represented.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Fantastic example of people power making things happen. Congrats and sincere thanks to Fiachra, Basil and the two Johns for your tireless efforts on behalf of the community.

Well done to you lads! But watch out, it's not over til the fat lady sings........contractors, banks & politicians, what a cocktail for disaster, keep a vigilant eye on progress! But I agree GUBOH have achieved more in 6 weeks than any civil movement I can remember! You lads just don't give in

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Well done indeed all - nice to see some progress.
    Wonder though when our local pols will jump in and claim a victory on this.

Will be great to see it opened up at long last.

Now any chance they will dredge the mens, install the diving board and the old raft that used to be out there :):):)

Don't worry lads who claims victory, we know the truth! Anyway from the way you guys have run the operation, the real victory will be for the people of Greystones, that (correct me if I'm wrong) was your consistent approach from the start. It fills me with great pride that there are selfless Irish people with strong morals and clear vision you really are the genuine concerned people of Greystones, who really have their priorites right, when GUBOH said enough is enough, I now know you really meant it. I'm sure it's taken alot of time and alot of diplomacy! Fair play to Grainne for listening to you and taking it forward, fair play to all other TC's for rowing in behind, you got the TC's the TD's and the WCC's all singing from the same hymn sheet in only 5 weeks?!! A real total community effort, power to the people!! Well well done. Final furlong now, don't let them trip up! We are relying on you to finish the game, nevervgive up, never give in, GREYSTONES will support it GUBOH sons all the way!!

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭youknowwho

Well done lads its great to see the community speaking as one and not letting politicians avoid their responsibilites or developers walk over us and destroy our town.

Next up the La Touch hotel................

youknowwho wrote: »
    Well done lads its great to see the community speaking as one and not letting politicians avoid their responsibilites or developers walk over us and destroy our town.

Yeah, and we won't even have to change the initials: GUBOHotel...

As F3 says, it's not over until, and there are several hurdles still to leap. Can we also ask all of you to sign up on Facebook and support the effort?

It's at http://on.fb.me/greystones

See also: Causes -- http://bit.ly/harbour-back

Thanks all for the support so far....

youknowwho wrote: »

Different circumstances altogether, don't lose the run of yourselves.

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Different circumstances altogether, don't lose the run of yourselves.

Oh, we have very ambitious plans....

(just kidding)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

The restoration of the hulk of the La Touche Hotel would indeed be a noble cause but not for anyone of sane mind and body. The outer appearance of this once famous hotel and indeed her insides show her to be way past her best. You would need more than a lick of paint here and there to spruce her up and restore her to her former beauty. The receiver was seeking €15 million a couple of years ago for her and her site. She should now be CPO’ed and taken over by the County Council and demolished and in her place a world class hotel and event centre could be built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KODXiz2jBfg

Advertisement