Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I can definitely see myself down there often.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Huntthe

Looks lovely and sandy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

A jug of wine, a sandy beach, and thou...

We can now vote on the three different proposals for opening the harbour to the public. The link to vote is here: http://greystonesharbour.org/vote-now-in-our-poll-of-harbour-proposals

BTW, GUBOH has a custom domain for its website now: http://greystonesharbour.org

It is indeed interesting that the Mayor wants the harbourmasters job. Picture the scene folks.....It is the 14th of June 2012 and a little out of town boy with his out of town mum and dad have just alighted from the 84 bus at Greystones Harbour. The little boy, full of excitment, runs as fast as his little legs will carry him down to play on the harbour beach with his bucket and spade. Suddenly the loud angry voice of the Harbourmaster is heard above the sound of the waves breaking softly on the harbour beach. "Little boy, get out of the water! You are not allowed here! This is a Boating Beach for Boating People we don't want any trouble here!"

Let's organise a Harbour Literary Festival, with Blanch as writer-in-residence!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Opinel

On the aforementioned mayor's website is a link to Sispar's latest newsletter ... http://ciaranhayden.com/media/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Greystones-Harbour-June-11.pdf

In it it states ... "When phase 2 is complete we will be in a position to remove most of the hoardings and open what will be a wonderful facility to the people of the Greystones area".

I think this needs clarification as "Phase 2 consists of a Primary Care Centre, 11 apartments, club buildings and the public square".

Doubt all this is going to be done by August???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

We can now vote on the three different proposals for opening the harbour to the public. The link to vote is here: http://greystonesharbour.org/vote-now-in-our-poll-of-harbour-proposals

BTW, GUBOH has a custom domain for its website now: http://greystonesharbour.org
    Ok, I have to say it. AS much as I do agree with GUBOH and commend their actions, that poll is one of the most biased I've ever seen and I think that could be belittled when they present the results of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Opinel wrote: »
    On the aforementioned mayor's website is a link to Sispar's latest newsletter ... http://ciaranhayden.com/media/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Greystones-Harbour-June-11.pdf

In it it states ... "When phase 2 is complete we will be in a position to remove most of the hoardings and open what will be a wonderful facility to the people of the Greystones area".

I think this needs clarification as "Phase 2 consists of a Primary Care Centre, 11 apartments, club buildings and the public square".

Doubt all this is going to be done by August???
    The mayor's website is a strange mixture of fact and fantasy. You would think from reading it that Sispar are forging ahead to finish Phase 2 ASAP. Maybe the quote from the Sispar spokesman is a few years old, pre Nama. Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Opinel

recedite wrote: »
    The mayor's website is a strange mixture of fact and fantasy. You would think from reading it that Sispar are forging ahead to finish Phase 2 ASAP. Maybe the quote from the Sispar spokesman is a few years old, pre Nama. Who knows.

I'm afraid that was quoted directly from Sispar's newsletter, June 2011.

Well thats it then, the GUBOH plan has no chance. That involves landscaping the north end of the harbour in September, but Sispar would not have installed the heavy duty steel palisade with concrete foundations there unless they expected to close most of the harbour site off for a long time.
    "Our interests and those of the people of Greystones are the same and we ask them to bear with us as we await these decisions on planning and funding and work to make some immediate improvements to the situation."

Looks like the "immediate improvements" will be the decorative railings at the south end, a temporary car park and a few boat pens. Better than just the slipway on its own though, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

The old harbour was awful in a way,but yet it was lovely.
    Had the same criteria of demolition and replacement been applied on land, we would have knocked down every castle in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

loobylou wrote: »
    Had the same criteria of demolition and replacement been applied on land, we would have knocked down every castle in the country.

Castles aren't a working structure, the old harbour was. Chalk and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Bit of a stretch to describe the old harbour as a "working" structure.
    Greystones effectively ceased to be a working harbour with the demise of the fishing industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

loobylou wrote: »
    Bit of a stretch to describe the old harbour as a "working" structure.
    Greystones effectively ceased to be a working harbour with the demise of the fishing industry.

There were boats moored in there. It was a working harbour. (by working, I don't mean labour/business, I mean in use)

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Alan_P

There were boats moored in there. It was a working harbour. (by working, I don't mean labour/business, I mean in use)

Indeed it was. Does anyone know where "Scarab" is wintering these days ?

5848446154_32a3445a25_z.jpg
    DSC_0201 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Alan_P wrote: »
    Indeed it was. Does anyone know where "Scarab" is wintering these days ?

I take it you meant 'Scarba', Alan_P? As in the photo form PBJ? That's Jimmy Kearon's boat and he keeps her at Wicklow Harbour since his mooring was taken. Jimmy is 92 now and still sailing.

http://bit.ly/kOWoec

Well thats it then, the GUBOH plan has no chance. That involves landscaping the north end of the harbour in September, but Sispar would not have installed the heavy duty steel palisade with concrete foundations there unless they expected to close most of the harbour site off for a long time.
    "Our interests and those of the people of Greystones are the same and we ask them to bear with us as we await these decisions on planning and funding and work to make some immediate improvements to the situation."

Looks like the "immediate improvements" will be the decorative railings at the south end, a temporary car park and a few boat pens. Better than just the slipway on its own though, I suppose.

That's not at all certain, Recedite. GUBOH got a good response to its plan, and to its insistence that any interim measures would have to restore and enhance the attractiveness of the immediate area, otherwise visitors and tourists would not return in numbers. Also, agreement on measures way beyond those in the Newsletter.

It's possible the Newsletter was already drafted before Sispar met GUBOH, and tweaked only a little afterwards. Some PR companies are often wonky on the more complex and subtle aspects of a situation, and not great at ensuring that a publication fits together coherently if it has to be re-drafted and amended. But we'll see next week.

Edited to remove email addresses - It's not appropriate to be putting email addresses in this discusssion - JMG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Floats are being lowered into harbour this morning. Wonder what their purpose is. They look like possibly floats for marina, but can't believe that this could be true!! Any ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

vinpaul wrote: »
    Floats are being lowered into harbour this morning. Wonder what their purpose is. They look like possibly floats for marina, but can't believe that this could be true!! Any ideas.

they look too heavy duty for a marina, comparing the to Dun Laoghaire's which I'm familiar enough with...

I think the floating platform will be used to carry a digger which will be doing some work on the seabed inside the harbour.
    5877561612_0a087b3652_z.jpg
    27/06/2011 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

5876993727_e8e4171db8_z.jpg
    27/06/2011 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭vinpaul

Pixbyjohn is correct. I spoke to one of the workers last evening and he confirmed that the float will be used to carry an excavator around the harbour to remove some obstructions on the seabed.

^^^ It was a great place to bring toddlers to; they would run around there for hours with buckets and spade. Happy days.

^^^ It was a great place to bring toddlers to; they would run around there for hours with buckets and spade. Happy days.
    Once the tide was out :D

5882068094_b479590007_z.jpg
    DSC_6428 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

• Advertisement

5882076958_25def462ce_z.jpg
    DSC_6435 by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Advertisement