Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

News and views on Greystones harbour and marina [SEE MODERATOR WARNING POST 1187]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Some off topic posts have been moved to the politics forum

www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056257090#

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭F3

Johnny, this is highly political and you should not break the thread so easily, the resolution to the harbour will will unavoidably be with political intervention.

F3 wrote: »
    Johnny, this is highly political and you should not break the thread so easily, the resolution to the harbour will will unavoidably be with political intervention.

Its perfectly within the forum charter remit
    Back Seat Modding: Moderators and moderators only may give on thread warnings and decide how a thread is flowing.

Off-topic posting: Please try to focus on the subject of the thread when posting. Of course there's nothing wrong with light-hearted banter but do try to keep the flow of the thread related to the topic being discussed.

Any questions or comments, please feel free to send Johnnymcg or myself a private message, don't put comments on moderation into threads, it only serves to further de-rail discussions. Please don't post messages on our profile pages.

I'm aware this is political but those posts were completely offtopic - having a discussion about whether local politicians can be recalled is not on topic - If anyone has any more problems send me or damo9090 a pm rather than further derailing the thread to discuss moderation (as per the forum charter)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

Whats great is that yesterday this thread passed the 50K mark in numbers of views making it (if I'm not mistaken) the 3rd most poular topic. I think over 700 people viewed it in the last 24 hours which shows the level of interest in the community.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    Whats great is that yesterday this thread passed the 50K mark in numbers of views making it (if I'm not mistaken) the 3rd most poular topic. I think over 700 people viewed it in the last 24 hours which shows the level of interest in the community.

Quite so Fiachra. Not only is it the most popular thread — both by number of posts and number of views — in the Greystones/Charlesland sub-group, it is the most popular in the Wicklow region. The two next deal with, ironically enough, house prices and the (recent) general election.

Six hundred and sixty-six posts, counting this one, and a high level of interest peaking now as the question of taking down the hoardings goes live in the community — that's a sign the politicians must take account of. Add to that the fact that 375 people in two weeks have joined the Facebook group organising the upcoming protests demanding that they come down, and there is clearly a groundswell beginning to build.

Now that the schools are back for their very short summer term, parents will be thinking about this too — and the unbelievable lack of amenities for young people in the area. Landscaping and paving the proposed public space at the harbour would cost very little — less than 0.25% of what has been spent to date, Blandpebbles — and would create a focus for hanging out and enjoying the holidays much better than the far, cider-can reaches of the south beach.

And that can be done as an interim measure, not a permanent one. Nobody will object to a return of fences to the area around the proposed club-houses, for example — we all want those too, as we want to see good facilities for angling, boat fishing, sailing, kayaking and all the rest, and a well-used harbour giving pleasure to its users.

It's time the powers that be woke up and realised that the present impasse is in fact an opportunity, and they should seize it with both hands and do something for the community while Sisk, Park, WCC, NAMA, AIB and ABP sort out what happens next — which will take a long time.

http://on.fb.me/greystones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Perhaps you guys are being a bit naive about the posts count and the number of views - no offence, but its the same two to three people posting in the last number of months. Just because it 'appears' to be popular on boards.ie Wicklow region, it doesn't mean anything. Don't forget, this thread is active since Oct 2009. If this topic was so popular, wouldn't there have been more people than just 6 people at the Council Offices providing true support? As Vinpaul said - its neglible!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Folks can we please keep on topic ie discussing the harbour development not thread numbers or Facebook or council protest numbers etc. It's fine to discuss those things in context but please try not to veer off the main topic too much. Also as per the forum charter send me a pm if you have any issues/comments/problems/feedback

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

0C13157CC20047A88CFD1BA76B67017D-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

A6D9DAEF6D384339BEF8642740A3931D-800.jpg

astrofluff wrote: »
    Perhaps you guys are being a bit naive about the posts count and the number of views - no offence, but its the same two to three people posting in the last number of months. Just because it 'appears' to be popular on boards.ie Wicklow region, it doesn't mean anything. Don't forget, this thread is active since Oct 2009. If this topic was so popular, wouldn't there have been more people than just 6 people at the Council Offices providing true support? As Vinpaul said - its neglible!

We will see how negligible this matter really is......everyone has views on this issue

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Whats left to talk about? This thread has gone full circle more times than Micheal Schumacher to win his many world titles!

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Whats left to talk about? This thread has gone full circle more times than Micheal Schumacher to win his many world titles!

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_148849258516045&ap=1

Whats left to talk about????? Thats what [i.e. click on the above link] Mr. Moderator! 'News & Views on Greystones Harbour & Marina" has given birth to a facebook group that is thriving.................

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_148849258516045&ap=1

Whats left to talk about????? Thats what [i.e. click on the above link] Mr. Moderator! 'News & Views on Greystones Harbour & Marina" has given birth to a facebook group that is thriving.................

Fair enough but still don't know what will be achieved by doing the same argument over and over here or anywhere else.

PS cut the attitude.

Last mod warning still stands on off topic posting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Blanchflower

Damo9090 wrote: »
    Fair enough but still don't know what will be achieved by doing the same argument over and over here or anywhere else.

PS cut the attitude.

Last mod warning still stands on off topic posting.

There is still plenty to talk about regarding the stalled harbour development. It is more important that ever before that the people of Greystones stand united to ensure that the developers resolve the disgraceful mess at the harbour. Arising from the property crash the developers, the Council and certain politicians are now using every trick in the book to stall the development. We need to continue to drive the message home to our public represenatatives that we are outraged with the current state of affairs and that this matter needs resolution NOW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Blandpebbles

Agree with Damo, plus it's incorrect to state there are no amenities in Greystones or indeed at the harbour as another poster was saying.

Rowing club starts back tonight :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

the unbelievable lack of amenities for young people in the area.

I must take this point up as it serves to undermine any credibility. Greystones probably has the best amenities of any town of its size in Ireland imho.

The harbour is only one of the many and as we know the slip is available for use. What we're looking for is the hoarding to be removed and the area returned to the public.

I know it's an emotive topic, and I for one am in favour of the efforts to return the harbour to the people, but this kind of statement serves no useful purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

A petition book is being made avalable in a number of commercial premises around the town. The objective is to request action on removing the hoarding. Not to restate objection to what has been done and cannot now be undone. We do however hope to afford the community the opportunity to state their wish that the harbour be returned to the community immediately.
    Details of locations etc to follow.

Fiachra2 wrote: »
    A petition book is being made avalable in a number of commercial premises around the town. The objective is to request action on removing the hoarding. Not to restate objection to what has been done and cannot now be undone. We do however hope to afford the community the opportunity to state their wish that the harbour be returned to the community immediately.
    Details of locations etc to follow.

I can confirm the location of the first 3 books:

1. The Burnaby
    2. The Beach House
    3. Joe Sweeneys take away

I will keep you advise one the location of the three other petition books once I have confirmation.

I must take this point up as it serves to undermine any credibility. Greystones probably has the best amenities of any town of its size in Ireland imho.

If people want to discuss the amenities of perceived lack of them then maybe have a read of this first and then start a NEW discussion

Terry Pratchet

One of the planning conditions stipulated by An Bord Pleanala in relation to the harbour development at Greystones was that the Sea Kale on the site be relocated to a position to be agreed with the local authority.
    This was in the interest of maintaining the species as local to the area.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of the aforementioned Sea Kale?

sea-kale-0096.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

One of the planning conditions stipulated by An Bord Pleanala in relation to the harbour development at Greystones was that the Sea Kale on the site be relocated to a position to be agreed with the local authority.

sea-kale-0096.jpg

I remember talk of this in the papers during the time it was moved. If my memory serves correct it was moved to kilcoole. It was a long time ago though so am not 100% but am quite sure it was moved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I found it in Kilcoole. It was delicious; steamed it with a little butter and pepper.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I can confirm the location of the first 3 books:

1. The Burnaby
    2. The Beach House
    3. Joe Sweeneys take away

I will keep you advise one the location of the three other petition books once I have confirmation.

There is also a petition book in the Happy Pear

2011 wrote: »
    There is also a petition book in the Happy Pear

And there is one also now in Supervalue on the Church Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

How long will the petition books be open for?

(and well done)

How long will the petition books be open for?

(and well done)

Until we succeed cheeky, which won't be too long now

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Yes, it was moved to Kilcoole Beach, and supposedly some was to be re-planted in Greystones when the harbour development is complete. But when will that be? And is it still growing on Kilcoole beach?

campbellu wrote: »
    I haven't read all of the comments in this thread but some of you may like this.
    Not sure if link will work but worth a try.

I wonder did these hardy swimmers get the remote sinister loud speaking treatment that there were trespassing on a public beach?

• Advertisement

I wonder did these hardy swimmers get the remote sinister loud speaking treatment that there were trespassing?

Is there anyone left down there (security wise) as i pass twice a day on the Dart and it looks like there is very little left behind the hoardings.

Advertisement