Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE Results 2009

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ma.long25

prinz wrote: »
    [/size]

Easy to say tbh. Like I said record numbers of complaints. I suppose they were all just bitching.

I go to every lecture I can.

No offence but get your finger out of your hole... seems like your realy lazy person man... I would relly get things together.

If things are harder u work ahrder.... that as simple as that ....
    I think its your lazy and apathetic attidude that has casued you to fail your exams,

Everyone on baords it getting sick if your ravings, its the worlds of michale greco.. u either do it right or get anhilaited!!!

And from the posts u seem to be headed for anhilation!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

ma.long25 wrote: »
    And from the posts u seem to be headed for anhilation!

Any chance you could post that in legible English?

There is no need to be disrespectful on this forum!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭PB1982

I second that.

There is no need to be disrespectful on this forum!!

I would proberly shoot myself to be honest that go in!!
    I would of like to take a dump on terenece o rourke face for liying to me!!

*ahem* :rolleyes: Not being disrespectful, but I actually can't follow your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭viconia

Ignore Malong, he's a troll

viconia wrote: »
    Ignore Malong, he's a troll

Excuse me Viconia i feel i ahve a right mind to report you for name calling.

This forum is about opions and mutual respect. I hope you can respect my posts on this forum without resorting to childless name calling!

This forum is about opions and mutual respect. I hope you can respect my posts on this forum without resorting to childless name calling!
    ... seems like your realy lazy person man...

:rolleyes:

........you are melting my head trying to decipher every post...man.

Excuse me Viconia i feel i ahve a right mind to report you for name calling.

It's okay, I've reported you already for being a troll. Report away, I don't mind! Also you're taking the thread off topic. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

So. For some reason, You're annoyed at the institute, and are bitching at those people who did the exams earlier?

Perhaps, make a thread about your annoyance about this but last time I checked, this was a thread for people who did the exams in 2009, who were happy for passing or discussing how to appeal.

If we get away with 48% and 52%, then take it up with the institute. I don't understand what you're trying to achieve. Are you trying to feel some kind of justice by telling us how "easy" we had it.

We studied for 3 months, in libraries, at home, with books. Everyone has hard exams and everyone deals with them. Yours will be hard and be the "hardest", like ours were the "hardest" and seemed impossible at the start of June.

If you're here waiting for all of us to say, "Oh, my god, I am so sorry for you to be sitting the new course, it's so unfair on you!". I'm not going to say it, I'm glad I had compensation, and I'm glad I had 10 years of exam papers. and hey, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes, but I had a new course when I was in University, so I know it's hard when you don't have old papers, or some previous stuff to go by.

Viconia,

This thread is not exclusive to those who sat their FAE's this year. It is a public forum and I have as much of a right as you have to post here as you do.

The subject is the FAE results and everyone is giving their opinion on them. Well I also am giving my opinion on the results. I feel that it is grossly unfair to have such a high pass rate one year and a low one the year after. I feel the need to question the integrity of the whole system and whether it is equitable. This is a reaction to the high pass rate from THIS YEARS FAE RESULTS, i.e. the topic of the thread.

Also it is very frustrating to hear people who passed their FAE's this year say "well study harder and for longer"! Easy for people to say that when they dont have to deal with it. Nobody on the old course knows the amount of crap we had to deal with this year.

Finally, as I have said before, well done to all that passed. I'm not blaming any individual who sat last years FAE's for this. Its not your fault. But my immediate reaction to the high pass rate is one of unfairness and so I feel that I have every right to post on such a thread which discusses the results.

• Advertisement

Alright, then I have one comment since this is a public forum.

HAH! I did the old course, you didn't! Hah! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I never have to do Management Accounting again. Aaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha!

That is all.

p.s suck it up, and go complain to the ICAI. Peace y'all!

HAH! I did the old course, you didn't! Hah! Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I never have to do Management Accounting again. Aaaaaaahahahahahahahahahaha!

That is all.

Your reporting my for trolling!!

This stuff that you wrote is both immature and offensive . It is also very very childish. This accountancy forum does not welcome post like that.

While at time i admit i maybe discouraging i am a realist.

My friends currently tell me that therea are about 50 CA applying for a financial accountant role....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

Your reporting my for trolling!!

This stuff that you wrote is both immature and offensive . It is also very very childish. This accountancy forum does not welcome post like that.
    Since when did you become a mod?????

I for one am very glad that Viconia is on this forum and without her support during the exams I would have cracked up.

On the other hand, I dont recall even one helpful post that you have made!

I think you post things to get a reaction and annoy people and as far as I am concerned that makes you a troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

That is all.

quality viconia! i second the above... ha ha ha ha!!!! :D

but in all seriousness. what you guys on the new course need to get your heads around is that you are not comparing apples with apples when you compare the new syllabus with the old. the new one is fundamentally different in terms of its structure and content. its an orange, not an apple. you may as well be comparing cima or acca exams as they have no more or less relevance. for whatever reason the institute have radically overhauled the process to becoming a chartered accountant and as part of that seem to have set a more rigorous and tough standard for the two exams that replaced PROF 2 and 3.

It is clear that certain aspects have made the new papers more challenging such as the withdrawal of compensation, but there are other features such as carrying in continuous assessment marks and the fact CAP 2 is now almost entirely an open book affair (whereas prof 3 was totally from memory) that should have gone some way to mitigating the fact you can no longer compensate. In the new FAE, if you fail one exam you have to repeat most of your exams again which undoubtedly has made things tougher. But mitigating this is the fact you can specialize and choose to be examined on your strongest area. I know there are plenty of people on the old syllabus that would have sat any other paper (or papers) to avoid MABF (not me tho, aced it!)

I admit that on balance, the CAP 1 & 2 seem to be tougher and students certainly seem to be having more problems with them than students had with the old course, but that may change in a couple of years when the new format becomes more established and lecturers and students get to grips with it more. and i feel sorry for the unfortunate people who are struggling to get through these exams.

perhaps you can take some degree of comfort though from the fact that if the institute (as you claim) are now setting a higher academic standard you guys should be better qualified and more competent once you complete the new syllabus than those who qualified under the old one which could well benefit you in your future careers.

getting hung up on the pass rate is a futile exercise. it really is a waste of time. hard as it is, you must look on it positively... a majority of people still pass. the only pass mark that really counts is 50% in each paper and getting that is what you should be directing your energy towards. not griping and moaning over how tough you have it, or how easy others have it. you will never know how you would have got on under the old syllabus. in all liklihood, some of you would have failed that as well so this is a convenient scapegoat.

to conclude i'd also like to point out the following

1) several people have used the FAE passrate of 74% as a benchmark to compare against this years CAP 2's and as evidence as to how they are getting 'screwed' by the institute. This is not a valid comparison. Under the old syllabus, the FAE pass rate was always significantly higher than that for PROF 3 which was always in and around 66-67%. That is the rate the CAP 2 should be compared to, not the FAE. So what you are talking about really is a drop of about 10% in the pass rate. It's not exactly seismic!! and I think all of you are overplaying its significance to a degree.

For instance, two or three years ago the FAE pass rate was 84%. Your complaints regarding the reduced CAP 2 pass rate are therefore really no more legitimate than people who failed the FAE this year just because the pass rate dropped to 74%.

2) Finally it is ridiculous that you are complaining about a low passrate for the 2010 FAE before the exam has even occured. Speculating like that just makes you guys look silly. the lectures for that course have barely started for gods sake and if the pattern of the old syllabus is anything to go by the new FAE pass rate is likely to be around 10% higher than that of CAP 2. Which would mean a passrate of around 65% which isnt particularly unfair in my view.
    You never, they may have frontloaded the difficulty of CAP 1 & 2 and FAE could be more straightforward than you think.

Comisserations to those who failed CAP 2 today. One of my good mates in work failed financial which seems to have caught an awful lot of people out. i really hope he and the rest of you dont lose your jobs. I know its easy for someone who is now qualified to say but perseverance will have its rewards. it might be a struggle but hopefully you'll get there in the end. Life it $hit sometimes. You just have to get on with it

ofjames wrote: »

but in all seriousness. what you guys on the new course need to get your heads around is that you are not comparing apples with apples when you compare the new syllabus with the old. the new one is fundamentally different in terms of its structure and content. its an orange, not an apple. you may as well be comparing cima or acca exams as they have no more or less relevance. for whatever reason the institute have radically overhauled the process to becoming a chartered accountant and as part of that seem to have set a more rigorous and tough standard for the two exams that replaced PROF 2 and 3.

It is clear that certain aspects have made the new papers more challenging such as the withdrawal of compensation, but there are other features such as carrying in continuous assessment marks and the fact CAP 2 is now almost entirely an open book affair (whereas prof 3 was totally from memory) that should have gone some way to mitigating the fact you can no longer compensate. In the new FAE, if you fail one exam you have to repeat most of your exams again which undoubtedly has made things tougher. But mitigating this is the fact you can specialize and choose to be examined on your strongest area. I know there are plenty of people on the old syllabus that would have sat any other paper (or papers) to avoid MABF (not me tho, aced it!)

I admit that on balance, the CAP 1 & 2 seem to be tougher and students certainly seem to be having more problems with them than students had with the old course, but that may change in a couple of years when the new format becomes more established and lecturers and students get to grips with it more. and i feel sorry for the unfortunate people who are struggling to get through these exams.

perhaps you can take some degree of comfort though from the fact that if the institute (as you claim) are now setting a higher academic standard you guys should be better qualified and more competent once you complete the new syllabus than those who qualified under the old one which could well benefit you in your future careers.

getting hung up on the pass rate is a futile exercise. it really is a waste of time. hard as it is, you must look on it positively... a majority of people still pass. the only pass mark that really counts is 50% in each paper and getting that is what you should be directing your energy towards. not griping and moaning over how tough you have it, or how easy others have it. you will never know how you would have got on under the old syllabus. in all liklihood, some of you would have failed that as well so this is a convenient scapegoat.

1) several people have used the FAE passrate of 74% as a benchmark to compare against this years CAP 2's and as evidence as to how they are getting 'screwed' by the institute. This is not a valid comparison. Under the old syllabus, the FAE pass rate was always significantly higher than that for PROF 3 which was always in and around 66-67%. That is the rate the CAP 2 should be compared to, not the FAE. So what you are talking about really is a drop of about 10% in the pass rate. It's not exactly seismic!! and I think all of you are overplaying its significance to a degree.

For instance, two or three years ago the FAE pass rate was 84%. Your complaints regarding the reduced CAP 2 pass rate are therefore really no more legitimate than people who failed the FAE this year just because the pass rate dropped to 74%.

2) Finally it is ridiculous that you are complaining about a low passrate for the 2010 FAE before the exam has even occured. Speculating like that just makes you guys look silly. the lectures for that course have barely started for gods sake and if the pattern of the old syllabus is anything to go by the new FAE pass rate is likely to be around 10% higher than that of CAP 2. Which would mean a passrate of around 65% which isnt particularly unfair in my view.
    You never, they may have frontloaded the difficulty of CAP 1 & 2 and FAE could be more straightforward than you think.

Comisserations to those who failed CAP 2 today. One of my good mates in work failed financial which seems to have caught an awful lot of people out. i really hope he and the rest of you dont lose your jobs. I know its easy for someone who is now qualified to say but perseverance will have its rewards. it might be a struggle but hopefully you'll get there in the end. Life it $hit sometimes. You just have to get on with it

A very well written and thought out post, that explains the situation clearly and concisely...

Well said

That is all.

There was absolutely no need for that.

No see, it's okay. It's a public forum and we're all allowed to voice our opinions in whichever way we see fit, so long as there is no racism, or anything of that sort.

I didn't say anything wrong, I just voiced my opinion.

No see, it's okay. It's a public forum and we're all allowed to voice our opinions in whichever way we see fit, so long as there is no racism, or anything of that sort.

I didn't say anything wrong, I just voiced my opinion.

I wasn't trying to offend any other boards users in my posts. Was just discussing the high pass rate. You on the other hand have offended anybody who has to sit the new FAE course next year with your immature reaction. Grow up.

A good post, and while I dont agree with it all, there are some good points and I can at least respect your point of view, something which I cant say for that child Viconia.

04072511 wrote: »
    A good post, and while I dont agree with it all, there are some good points and I can at least respect your point of view, something which I cant say for that child Viconia.

Is there anyway the moderator can ban viconia from the accountancy forum.

While in the past she has helped people answer different queries on the FAE thread, she now has reverted to chilidsh behaviour such as name calling and offending others like myself and 040725 .

While opinons are always welcome on this forum , your childish antics are certainly not.

I really think viconia should learn to repect and consider the feelings of others before she post immature and irrational comments that may have lasting effects on other users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭ofjames

Is there anyway the moderator can ban viconia from the accountancy forum.

While in the past she has helped people answer different queries on the FAE thread, she now has reverted to chilidsh behaviour such as name calling and offending others like myself and 040725 .

While opinons are always welcome on this forum , your childish antics are certainly not.

I really think viconia should learn to repect and consider the feelings of others before she post immature and irrational comments that may have lasting effects on other users.

stop being so bloody sensitive the pair of you. for god's sake take viconia's comment with a light heart. you'd swear she denied the holocaust the way ye two are going on

stop being so bloody sensitive the pair of you. for god's sake take viconia's comment with a light heart. you'd swear she denied the holocaust the way ye two are going on

Well the whole exam thing is a sensitive issue for a lot of us doing the new course. Lots of people are losing their jobs due to failing exams. Theres a much higher failure rate now and so much more people are having to face the dole as a result. Only 39% of people repeating the CAP 2 passed. Many of the other 61% are going to be unemployed now. So I find Viconia's comment quite insulting, not just to me, but to anybody who is sitting the new course.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pepp

I think you are all being very childish, While the newly quailified are gratefull for the generousity of an easy course at least most of the ones still going through the course have a secured job for the next couple of years (as the economy continues to go down the pan)while most of you will be out of contract and out on your ear cause you're to expensive to employ.

We trainees on the new course will have a much superior qualification than you an the industry will know that!

Ma.Long 25 your are one to talk about banning anyone! check out the cap 2 results thread for the nonsence they have been spouting as a poilish builder!

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Can people please stop refering to the old fae course as easy, finding a small bit insulting. And espically since no one knows what the new course will be like

crapmanjoe wrote: »
    Can people please stop refering to the old fae course as easy, finding a small bit insulting. And espically since no one knows what the new course will be like

RELATIVELY easy. Still difficult exams, just "easy" when compared to the new course! The drop of 17% in the pass rate from Prof 3 to CAP 2 is a good indication that the same sort of drop awaits us next year.

That is all.

Ma Long once asked me why I don't intend on practising accountancy. Working with the likes of the above is exactly why, In case you hadn't realised Vic, CAI as it's now known ( good thing that didn't come up in your exam :rolleyes: ) has received record numbers of complaints this year, from students and I have heard from practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Folks,

I don't get to spend as much time around here as I would like, or in the case of this particular thread, as much as I should. I can assure you however, I've got better things to be doing than dealing with a personal e-mail inbox full of reported posts, most of which were warranted. Why people feel the need to post just for the purpose of antagonising others is beyond be. If you've got nothing constructive to add to a thread, don't bother. The behaviour on this thread and some others recently is almost an embarrassment to the profession we're suppose to represent. Please tone it down.

Carb wrote: »
    Folks,

I don't get to spend as much time around here as I would like, or in the case of this particular thread, as much as I should. I can assure you however, I've got better things to be doing than dealing with a personal e-mail inbox full of reported posts, most of which were warranted. Why people feel the need to post just for the purpose of antagonising others is beyond be. If you've got nothing constructive to add to a thread, don't bother. The behaviour on this thread and some others recently is almost an embarrassment to the profession we're suppose to represent. Please tone it down.

Well said, i agree totally with this comment and was hoping you might put a tempoary ban on victonia on this forum as i think she has offended a lot of individuals with her childish antics.

People as you say must learn not to antagnoise individuals and when it occurs must be punished as such!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭rocksteady36

I have a theory, that the new course is different not harder, its the same material.

I think that the pass rate reflects the current market and job opportunites and how the big four need employees.

If the economy was booming I would bet that the pass rate would be a lot higher.

So its passing the exams thats difficult, and the standard in relation to the answers being required is therefore higher....

Dont get caught wasting time on this like I am lol

• Advertisement
Advertisement