Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you do the ACA if you knew then what you knew now?

Options
  • 14-11-2009 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Just wondering reading a lot of the threads over the past few weeks, whether people would go into accounting now if they new before they started what they know now?

Would you do the ACA if you knew before you started what you know now? 17 votes

YES
    0% 0 votes
    NO WAY!
    100% 17 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

NOT A CHANCE!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭ma.long25

I would proberly shoot myself to be honest that go in!!

I would of like to take a dump on terenece o rourke face for liying to me!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 biggerard

Not a chance, I'd definitely stay away from the big 4. I'm warning everyone I see to stay away from the big 4, they are lying assholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

ma.long25 wrote: »

I was going to make a comment on the fact that the HR people in your firm could probably trace you through this ... but I'm guessing that's not actually a problem for you! :rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055561287

You must have a lot of time on your hands ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I was going to make a comment on the fact that the HR people in your firm could probably trace you through this ... but I'm guessing that's not actually a problem for you! :rolleyes:

http://m.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055561287

Well said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭pepp

ma.long25 wrote: »

So are you an accounting student or a polish builder?

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055561287

Way to make it even easier for them to get identified.

Good on you Sherlock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Hackysack wrote: »
    Way to make it even easier for them to get identified.

:confused:

Did you read the link?! My point was that I seriously, seriously doubt that this guy works for KPMG or any other accountancy firm for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

The institute are the most incompetent shower of money grabbing prats that currently exists in the country. Things like books not arriving until half way through the year, results appeals taking so long you actually have to sit the repeats anyway, wrong address down for students, to top it off anytime you try to talk to anyone you're immediately brickwalled, or fobbed off with some rubbish clichés which I honestly believe have been typed up, photocopied and taped to every phone in the place. If you remove going forward, procedural reviews, reevaluation etc etc they'd be speechless. Nothing against the big 4 students here but I do believe the bad treatment is compounded if you are in a small firm.

:confused:

Did you read the link?! My point was that I seriously, seriously doubt that this guy works for KPMG or any other accountancy firm for that matter.

Or maybe he does work for them, and the builder thread was set up as a joke! Perhaps this person isnt joking about everything!

• Advertisement

Ah. Brain no workie.

Sorry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 jessup

04072511 wrote: »
    Or maybe he does work for them, and the builder thread was set up as a joke! Perhaps this person isnt joking about everything!

KPMG and the ICAI are better off without an empty head like this who makes racist posts and whinges about having to do a bit of hard work. Good riddance!

jessup wrote: »
    KPMG and the ICAI are better off without an empty head like this who makes racist posts and whinges about having to do a bit of hard work. Good riddance!

Give the guy a break. He admitted in a previous post way back to trolling, was banned and since then has only posted on the Accountancy forum. If you were a troller surely there would be far more interesting places to post than Accountancy!

However he shouldnt mention the name of the firm (or indicate the name of the firm) he works for. As much as I hate Auditing it is unacceptable and quite risky to do what he did!

prinz wrote: »
    The institute are the most incompetent shower of money grabbing prats that currently exists in the country.

No competition, that's the problem. They can set and correct the exams etc. but they shouldn't be the tuition provider too. Friends that are ACCAs had a choice of tuition providers. As a result, the standard was much higher and you could vote with your feet to a competitor if not happy. What about those that went to CGS this year? Streets ahead of most of those in the Institute. Added to Liam and Dave etc. most of those that are any good in the Institute are lecturers in ACCA colleges anyway!

However he shouldnt mention the name of the firm (or indicate the name of the firm) he works for. As much as I hate Auditing it is unacceptable and quite risky to do what he did!

He was the one that mentioned the name of the Managing Partner, not me. Most here would be able to connect that person with the firm.

He was the one that mentioned the name of the Managing Partner, not me. Most here would be able to connect that person with the firm.

Yeh I know that! Never said it was you now did I?:D

Fair enough, misinterpreted your post.

Seriously though, how short sighted is this crap. You're not going to be at the bottom of the food chain forever. The hours might be the same but no one is going to tell me that a manager reviewing work by trainees and seniors is anyway as soul destroying as being a trainee or senior preparing that work.

It's a right of passage. Everyone else has been through it too. The wedge is still very good at Manager level. Get some of them with their guard down and they'll admit that a lot of the 'savage workload' is optics and that if you play the game you can have a good work life balance. What do people expect? Earn €60k a year for scratching your a*se?

Seriously though, how short sighted is this crap. You're not going to be at the bottom of the food chain forever.

I'm not going to be on the accountancy chain at all. Screw 'em. I'm just too stubborn to quit now but I am not going to do this crap one day longer than I have to. It's one thing working your way up and seeing some rewards for it, it's another when with 3 years work experience, salary wise I am worse off than I was in Jan 2008, the Institute really doesn't seem to give a crap about the students until it comes time to pay up, I am still on <€22k per year and next week will have to pay another €3k to the institute from my own pocket for the privilege of returning to the rubbish lectures, ridiculous exams etc... I am 25 years old and I'm still renting a room digs style, my holidays went for study leave, I can't afford a car, at a small firm where overtime is expected but not paid for or even time in lieu etc etc.
    It's a right of passage. Everyone else has been through it too..

In fairness I think the introduction of CAP1 and CAP2 has had a major impact on people who have just done CAP2, those in the years before and after at least have an indication of what's going on/expected. We're the lab mice and we're getting screwed by the system, I wouldn't mind so much if after putting the work in you were fairly sure of getting the exams and progressing onto the next level. We're not. Looks like CAP2 again for me, an extra year of being badly treated as nothing more than a cash machine for the institute.

prinz wrote: »
    to pay another €3k to the institute from my own pocket for the privilege of returning to the rubbish lectures, ridiculous exams etc...

****!!! It's not that much is it!?!?!?!? :eek:

Hackysack wrote: »
    ****!!! It's not that much is it!?!?!?!? :eek:

I found the CAP2 enrolment form on the website it only had two options on it all of CAP2 for €3060 or two subjects for €1530. to be honest I am not sure what the story is if you only have to do one subject or if there are different rates for repeaters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭censuspro

The ICAI post on this forum, you should put your concerns to them directly. Their profile is ICAI.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,432 ✭✭✭✭cson

To be honest, making a reference like he did above deserves to be found and sacked. There's a certain professional attitude one should have tbh. You can find a lot out on the net too so I'm sure that if the HR department did a little digging they'd find what they wanted.

cson wrote: »
    To be honest, making a reference like he did above deserves to be found and sacked. There's a certain professional attitude one should have tbh. You can find a lot out on the net too so I'm sure that if the HR department did a little digging they'd find what they wanted.

Why do people have so much of an issue understanding my post? I agree with you! I never said anything defending his decision to name the managing partner!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭dustyrip

The ICAI are robbing ****s alright. I failed Man Acc at Cap 1 and was let go last year. I now have sat four UK tax exams (ATT) by myself. To sit the four exams and have them corrected was £340. Books and legislation came to around £300, so in total it only cost me £640. Typical Ireland, over - inflated prices etc.. Hopefully I get these exams and get out of this rip off country asap.

Advertisement