Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭MfMan

I remember years ago seeing this British film that looked like it was from the late 70's/early 80's. It was set in a rough London school and it had a kind of had a Ken Loach feel or maybe like the prison movie Scum. One of the pupils was a guy with long hair and a moustache and there was a scene where he stole glass beakers from the science lab with what I presume was acid in them and threw them from an upstairs window at a couple of the teachers as they passed below. Didn't see the whole film so its kind of hazy but that scene sticks in my mind.

If? To Sir with love?

An appropriate one for the time that’s in it. Horror Film /TVM from 70s/80s. A group of treasure seekers or holiday makers aboard a boat in tropical waters. A valuable artifact, an idol, is discovered and taken on. However it has demonical properties and soon terrible things start happening, including a few horrible deaths. The horror only abates when it’s thrown overboard. As the credits roll we see it lying face up at the bottom of the sea. The fact that it’s midsummer seems relevant to the plot. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There's a film I watched on TV what feels like 10-12 years ago, but it was probably made a few years earlier than that. I was almost certain the title was "Miracle at Santa Anna", but the only film with a similar title was "Miracle at St. Anna" and it doesn't seem to match what I remember about it. Both were set in Italy during or just after the War, but the one I saw has a scene where films were projected on bedsheets hanging from a line, there was a local beauty, and there was a priest (who was originally from the area but went away as a young man and returned there as a priest) whose church had been bombed, I remember that the roof had caved in. When the middle-aged priest was about to die (I think it was because of the collapsed ceiling), he admitted to his best friend that his greatest regret was not to have told the truth to his congregation, namely that he had never actually been ordained, that he had dropped out of the seminary, that all his christenings, marriages, etc. were not valid at all, so his friend convinced him that saying something now would harm his congregation more, then the priest died.

Can anyone help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

MfMan wrote: »
    An appropriate one for the time that’s in it. Horror Film /TVM from 70s/80s. A group of treasure seekers or holiday makers aboard a boat in tropical waters. A valuable artifact, an idol, is discovered and taken on. However it has demonical properties and soon terrible things start happening, including a few horrible deaths. The horror only abates when it’s thrown overboard. As the credits roll we see it lying face up at the bottom of the sea. The fact that it’s midsummer seems relevant to the plot. Any ideas?

Cruise Into Terror?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077382/?ref_=tt_urv

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

MfMan wrote: »
    If? To Sir with love?

No, would have been later than those and it had that kind of neo realist Ken Loach feel to it. I thought it might have been by him but doesn't match any of his films.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I remember years ago seeing this British film that looked like it was from the late 70's/early 80's. It was set in a rough London school and it had a kind of had a Ken Loach feel or maybe like the prison movie Scum. One of the pupils was a guy with long hair and a moustache and there was a scene where he stole glass beakers from the science lab with what I presume was acid in them and threw them from an upstairs window at a couple of the teachers as they passed below. Didn't see the whole film so its kind of hazy but that scene sticks in my mind.

Is it one of the Tales Out of School dramas broadcast on BBC?

http://www.britishtelevisiondrama.org.uk/?p=1627

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

An Irish film about the IRA.

A group of youngsters get caught up with the IRA, most of the friends get kneecapped in one scene, one gets away, the end scene is of the last boy in a church where the priest turns out to be an IRA supporter who leads them to him, says something along the lines of "why didn't you just take the bullet".

The end then is the boy writing a letter to his mother before being killed, this is to make her think he just left and isn't dead, the IRA agree to post it outside Belfast in order to make it look authentic.

I can't think of the name or find it anywhere.

An Irish film about the IRA.

A group of youngsters get caught up with the IRA, most of the friends get kneecapped in one scene, one gets away, the end scene is of the last boy in a church where the priest turns out to be an IRA supporter who leads them to him, says something along the lines of "why didn't you just take the bullet".

The end then is the boy writing a letter to his mother before being killed, this is to make her think he just left and isn't dead, the IRA agree to post it outside Belfast in order to make it look authentic.

I can't think of the name or find it anywhere.

You, me and Marley

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105878/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

• Advertisement

I actually found it, a film called peacefire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peacefire_(film)

haha whaaaat!

I was so sure i got it based on your description, all but the ending (although there is a priest at the end also)

:D

Is it one of the Tales Out of School dramas broadcast on BBC?

http://www.britishtelevisiondrama.org.uk/?p=1627

Yes nice one. Its Birth Of A Nation, the first film featured here. Didn't know Jim Broadbent was in it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    There's a film I watched on TV what feels like 10-12 years ago, but it was probably made a few years earlier than that. I was almost certain the title was "Miracle at Santa Anna", but the only film with a similar title was "Miracle at St. Anna" and it doesn't seem to match what I remember about it. Both were set in Italy during or just after the War, but the one I saw has a scene where films were projected on bedsheets hanging from a line, there was a local beauty, and there was a priest (who was originally from the area but went away as a young man and returned there as a priest) whose church had been bombed, I remember that the roof had caved in. When the middle-aged priest was about to die (I think it was because of the collapsed ceiling), he admitted to his best friend that his greatest regret was not to have told the truth to his congregation, namely that he had never actually been ordained, that he had dropped out of the seminary, that all his christenings, marriages, etc. were not valid at all, so his friend convinced him that saying something now would harm his congregation more, then the priest died.

Can anyone help?

No ideas at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Film I saw (most of, I think) years ago and it stuck in my head for some reason.
    guy and his girlfriend are driving across America seems like the desert and the car breaks down but they make it to this tiny little town but the people are all creepy and when they give the car to the mechanic (classic deliverance vibe staring at the female lead, hillbilly kind of guy) he kind of makes excuses and actually disables the car more, so they cant leave and I think there was a kid who was important to the story for some reason. Its basically about them trying to escape this town back to civilisation, they're too polite in the beginning to do anything until they're stuck and I think I remember there was some psychedelic, hallucination scenes.

I doubt anyone can get this one it didn't look like a big budget production. I think it was one of those 3am movies on tv3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Breakdown with Kurt Russell?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

Ok guys, need help. I have been trying to find out the name of this movie/maybe tv show I once saw about 30 years ago when I was only a child.

Set in rural America with mountain roads.
    Features corrupt cops who drive the roads and force unsuspecting drivers off the edge and over the side of the mountain to their death.
    Our hero is a guy with a supped up car who drives similar roads while practicing various driving maneuvers and handbrake turns to try to avoid the cops.
    They target him and after a long chase, he forces them off the road to their deaths.

This movie has stayed with me my whole life and I have no idea what it is..

Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,667 ✭✭✭Worztron

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Film I saw (most of, I think) years ago and it stuck in my head for some reason.
    guy and his girlfriend are driving across America seems like the desert and the car breaks down but they make it to this tiny little town but the people are all creepy and when they give the car to the mechanic (classic deliverance vibe staring at the female lead, hillbilly kind of guy) he kind of makes excuses and actually disables the car more, so they cant leave and I think there was a kid who was important to the story for some reason. Its basically about them trying to escape this town back to civilisation, they're too polite in the beginning to do anything until they're stuck and I think I remember there was some psychedelic, hallucination scenes.

I doubt anyone can get this one it didn't look like a big budget production. I think it was one of those 3am movies on tv3.
    ILikeBoats wrote: »

Sounds like it alright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakdown_(1997_film)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

ILikeBoats wrote: »

Wow, fair play cheers, funny I couldn't remember it starred the Kurt
    Cant remember it being an action movie from what I remeber though, eeh I could be meshing two movies together in my head

• Registered Users Posts: 12,366 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Ok guys, need help. I have been trying to find out the name of this movie/maybe tv show I once saw about 30 years ago when I was only a child.

Set in rural America with mountain roads.
    Features corrupt cops who drive the roads and force unsuspecting drivers off the edge and over the side of the mountain to their death.
    Our hero is a guy with a supped up car who drives similar roads while practicing various driving maneuvers and handbrake turns to try to avoid the cops.
    They target him and after a long chase, he forces them off the road to their deaths.

This movie has stayed with me my whole life and I have no idea what it is..

Anyone?
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071268/?ref_=tt_urv
    The California Kid?

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

siblers wrote: »

Oh my God!!! Thats it :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Thanks so much!

• Advertisement

Can anyone help?

This is bugging me too

Is it a foreign film? Is it black and white? Does it feature any black soldiers and/or nazis?

It's in colour, IIRC it's either an Italy/UK production or an Italy/US one (or something like that). No black soldiers, but I can't remember if it had Nazi/Fascists in it or it it was set just after the war where their presence was still being felt.

It's in colour, IIRC it's either an Italy/UK production or an Italy/US one (or something like that). No black soldiers, but I can't remember if it had Nazi/Fascists in it or it it was set just after the war where their presence was still being felt.

And is the film from the 80s/90s ?

Either the very late '90s or the early 2000s, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭stormthecastle

Either the very late '90s or the early 2000s, I'd say.

Youre not thinking of something like Cinema Paradiso although I can't remember if there is a priest in that, its been so long since I've seen it so might be way off. Just the local beauty and showing movies on bed sheets sounds familiar.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095765/

Definitely not Cinema Paradiso, but thanks for trying.

Definitely not Cinema Paradiso, but thanks for trying.

Was it Il Postino?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Can anyone help?

Mediterraneo?

It's set in Greece, but there's Italian soldiers, a priest and a "local beauty" in it.

Can't remember much else about it, except I thought it was rubbish.

Neither of them, but thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Tony EH wrote: »
    Mediterraneo?

It's set in Greece, but there's Italian soldiers, a priest and a "local beauty" in it.

Can't remember much else about it, except I thought it was rubbish.

Cripes, I loved it.different strokes I suppose.

Advertisement