Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movie Identification (Post here if you're looking for the name of a movie)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Chinese/Hong Kong martial arts movie that I saw the first ten minutes or so of in a friends house in the 80's. The opening titles sequence had the two main actors doing kung fu moves in front of a backdrop, one of them might have been Jackie Chan or at least someone who looked like him. It was not a Bruce Lee film. The start of the film had an old man in sterotypical Chinese coolie outfit including one of those big conical hats asleep outdoors. There was a swarm of flies around him and in his sleep he shoots out his hand very fast and catches a load of the flies. Think next bit had him fighting a load of guys. He might have been a younger guy disguised as an old man.
    Could it be Bulletproof Monk with Chow Yun Fat and Stiffler?
    One scene has Stiffler copying moves from a kung fu film on a cinema screen.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Could it be Bulletproof Monk with Chow Yun Fat and Stiffler?
    One scene has Stiffler copying moves from a kung fu film on a cinema screen.

No that's 2003 so too recent. The one I'm talking about I saw circa 1989 and it looked a good bit older, probably late 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Maybe this? It's an oft-forgotten classic:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remo_Williams:_The_Adventure_Begins

Aglomerado wrote: »

No wasn't that. The credits were in Chinese in the opening sequence and the copy I saw (pirated video possibly) was dubbed.The setting was certainly China/Hong Kong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

No wasn't that. The credits were in Chinese in the opening sequence and the copy I saw (pirated video possibly) was dubbed.The setting was certainly China/Hong Kong.

Have a look at this trailer; Chopstick action :)

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Advertisement

Have a look at this trailer; Chopstick action :)

Not the one I saw but the closest suggestion yet. Certainly from the same era (late 70's?) and very similar style and look.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,271 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Not the one I saw but the closest suggestion yet. Certainly from the same era (late 70's?) and very similar style and look.

Try this one :)

5 mins in to the old guy and the flies :D

Hadn't seen this one for a long time, I'll enjoy watching it again

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Try this one :)

5 mins in to the old guy and the flies :D

Hadn't seen this one for a long time, I'll enjoy watching it again

Yes, thats it. I had a feeling it might have been a Jackie Chan film. Must watch it properly now, nice one.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭NedLowry

Anyone know a film in which Denzil Washington has to find a way to stop a runaway train and save the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

NedLowry wrote: »
    Anyone know a film in which Denzil Washington has to find a way to stop a runaway train and save the day?

Unstoppable (2010).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭NedLowry

Unstoppable (2010).

You got it!

This is a tricky one. There is a film I saw years ago, maybe back in the late nineties, that pops in to my head now and then. My memories of it are pretty hazy. A girl travels back through time and finds herself in some kind of tavern type place. There are I think prostitutes there. A horrible man arrives and makes her feel uncomfortable. She's wearing a blue dress. I thought it might be a wild west kind of setting but now I'm not sure. Victorian era maybe.

If anyone has a clue as to what the name is please help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ella29

I want to find the names of the film about monsters in the desert who lived underground and reacted to noise and electrical appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Ella29 wrote: »
    I want to find the names of the film about monsters in the desert who lived underground and reacted to noise and electrical appliances.

Tremors.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Tremors.

Very funny movie, and Kevin Bacon, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,311 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

has 5 sequels, a one season TV show in the early noughties and is now coming back to TV with Kevin Bacon on board

Very funny movie, and Kevin Bacon, too!
    Fred Ward acts rings around him but.

I'm trying to find an Irish film that was reviewed on the Blizzard of Odd so it would be about 15 years old or so.
    It was a very low budget affair, sort of like a student film. A homage or take off on old Humphrey Bogart type private eye films played for laughs (not sure if the comedy was intentional).
    The main actor in it was in his twenties of thirties, had longish hair and was quite scruffy like a stoner looking guy, I think he had a trilby hat. He also had a bit of a speech impediment and a rural type accent-midlands maybe. He was a very bad actor but also very funny and Colin Murphy said this is what made it so enjoyable. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

I'm trying to remember a TV film from about 10 years ago on BBC. Maybe split into 2 parts over the course of 2 weekends.

There is a young couple. They are having their first baby. The girl is stunning and I'm sure the fella is good looking too. They escape the rat race of London to move to his parents house in the country. His mother anyway takes a dislike to her. She doesn't really care about our hero (the girl) but only about her grandson who hasn't been born yet.

I think the grannie ends up turning the son against his wife and when she has the baby she can't see it and the granny looks after it. I'm nearly sure the hero kills the granny or granddad. Set in a lovely country house sort of like Midsomer!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

breadbin wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember a TV film from about 10 years ago on BBC. Maybe split into 2 parts over the course of 2 weekends.

There is a young couple. They are having their first baby. The girl is stunning and I'm sure the fella is good looking too. They escape the rat race of London to move to his parents house in the country. His mother anyway takes a dislike to her. She doesn't really care about our hero (the girl) but only about her grandson who hasn't been born yet.

I think the grannie ends up turning the son against his wife and when she has the baby she can't see it and the granny looks after it. I'm nearly sure the hero kills the granny or granddad. Set in a lovely country house sort of like Midsomer!

Sounds like Hush with Jessica Lange & Gwyneth Paltrow.

• Advertisement

I'm trying to find an Irish film that was reviewed on the Blizzard of Odd so it would be about 15 years old or so.
    It was a very low budget affair, sort of like a student film. A homage or take off on old Humphrey Bogart type private eye films played for laughs (not sure if the comedy was intentional).
    The main actor in it was in his twenties of thirties, had longish hair and was quite scruffy like a stoner looking guy, I think he had a trilby hat. He also had a bit of a speech impediment and a rural type accent-midlands maybe. He was a very bad actor but also very funny and Colin Murphy said this is what made it so enjoyable. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Sounds kind of like this. The main actor fits the description and though the beginning is set in modern times it later switches to B & W old gangster movie pastiche.

jh79 wrote: »
    Sounds like Hush with Jessica Lange & Gwyneth Paltrow.

Sounds like the BBC probably just went with the same plot from that movie it's not it unfortunately:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

darkdubh wrote: »
    Movie from I think late 60s set in the American deep south.A black man goes to kill a racist elderly white man who mistreated him when he was young.The black man has a gun in a shoebox that he carries around with him.At the end of the movie he catches up with the white man who is working on his farm with a combine harvester or some kind of machine like that.The black man confronts him and is going to shoot him but then pushes him into the machine and hes killed.

Bumping this again. Some more vague details I remember from it. The black guy arrives in the town by riding a freight train. As he jumps off the carriage he drops the shoebox with the gun. Two white policemen question him and look into the shoebox but the gun has fallen out and is out of sight of the cops. The cops let him go and he waits for them to go off before picking up the gun.

Sounds kind of like this. The main actor fits the description and though the beginning is set in modern times it later switches to B & W old gangster movie pastiche.

That's not it. Very enjoyable though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭BoroMan32

breadbin wrote: »

Sounds very much like this; though it was ITV.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1743899/

BoroMan32 wrote: »
    Sounds very much like this; though it was ITV.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1743899/

Thanks for the reply but it's not it. It could have been itv. I read through 2 huge lists on Wikipedia of every TV show and film that BBC and ITV did but didn't jump out at me. The girl had long straight blonde hair and the grannie was messing with her head. Like manipulating her and making her out to be dangerous and unfit.

I remember she wasn't a once off actress. I had seen her in something else. If I could only get a name for her I'd know the film. I'm trying to think if the grannie was famous or the husband. It's a head wrecker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

The movie is a recent foreign language flick in Spanish which I think is based in rural Argentina.

A man who’s brother and mother have been murdered by the patriach of the family returns back to identity the bodies and then gets involved in an insurance scam with a seemingly benevolent executor of the estate.

The movie is slow moving and involves a lot of kidnapping, deal making, barking dogs and selling hoarded materials to a scrap dealer.

It cumulates in a forced bank withdrawal and a shootout. The signature song of the movie plays frequently throughout.

Watched it on a long haul flight and missed the title. Might have “son” & “brother” in the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Indeed. Good work. Ok flick.

• Advertisement

Holy ****..the amount of spoilers in that trailer

Advertisement