Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Maybe I shouldn't give up on Honda!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

hahaahahahahha LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

Yeah. Longer Ultras. Wooo.

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭randomchild

Cannot wait till someone gives cammy hakan's ass cannon ultra...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Placebo wrote: »
    They changed HONDAS ultra !

Dude, don't do that to me, I was excited for a while there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Cannot wait till someone gives cammy hakan's ass cannon ultra...

Only if she's doing it on Chunners.

EDIT: and holds on for longer. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Huh, Seth Killian uses his right hand on the stick and left on the buttons, that looks really uncomfortable.

Is that the standard Ciotog set-up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Huh, Seth Killian uses his right hand on the stick and left on the buttons, that looks really uncomfortable.

Thats the standard freak setup

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

From what I understand, when the arcades hit all the south american countries in the 80's and 90's, alot of the people used that technique. Some people called it the "mexican" or something. There are a few lads at evo every year that still use it but it has mostly died out.....due to being a bit odd looking I would wager. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Kirby wrote: »
    it has mostly died out.....due to being a bit odd looking I would wager. :p

I dunno, I'd play with my feet if it helped me win matches; but it just looks really uncomfortable.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Nope, I'm a lefty and believe it or not the standard set up is optimised for lefties.

If you reverse the buttons and put them to the left of the stick, we have to use the cross over (there's a few really old arcade cabs I used to have to do this on). Weird how the reverse is not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Generic_name01

Just watched that seth killian demo on hakan. Probably hasnt been explained yet but when seth said Hakan's EX oil up passes through hadoukens, does anyone know if he means it has invincibility frames during oiling up or can you walk through them for the next 10 or so seconds?

Looking to be a very interesting and fun character though it makes others look ignored or forgotten considering how many command normals etc he has!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

it has invincibility frames during oiling up

This, from what I understand. Think zangief.

Indeed. They seem to have gone overboard on the new characters and neglected half the cast. Dhalsim and blanka have virtually no changes at all which is a bit ridiculous. I'm sure there are others who have been ignored too. :(

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

You don't know if Dhalsim have recieved no changes. We won't know until the full game is released.

We know Blanka has got an improved c.hp and faster movement/jump speed. His super/ultra one have had there chip damage reduced.

Dhalsim we have heard nothing about bar his new ultra. Doesn't mean he has not got anything else.

Even pro players are going to hard notice slight adjustments to moves have adjusted frames in short play tests of the game.

You have to bare in mind that tweaks to other character effect how competitive certain characters will be. It might not make them any more fun to play but it might mean better balance.

For example apparantly ultra's have been nerfed across the board, while supers have been buffed. Since Sim has one of the best supers in the game thats a reasonable buff for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

I like how supers have been buffed and ultras nerfed a bit, however if we're gonna be dealing with hour long ultra animations for feck all damage , I would really rather they just increased the amount of hits you'd have to take before you can ultra. I don't wanna be seeing 2 ultras a round.... from the same character.... either ...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

They've been keeping very quiet about any changes to the old cast so far. In fact, everything we know is from what we've seen in videos, or heard from people who have playtested it. The only official thing I can remember hearing from capcom, is when seth said ages ago that ken would be getting a new move, and we've yet to see anything on that.

My guess is that they have an internal build with all the changes to old characters, that they're going to keep secret up until it's released, or very shortly before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

discovering things for yourself is IMO one of the best parts about these games.

Thank you Seth Killian

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/22637961/Seth._Whats_up_with_Gen...&post_num=25#399425585

Azza wrote: »
    You don't know if Dhalsim have recieved no changes. We won't know until the full game is released.

We know Blanka has got an improved c.hp and faster movement/jump speed. His super/ultra one have had there chip damage reduced.

Dhalsim we have heard nothing about bar his new ultra. Doesn't mean he has not got anything else.

Even pro players are going to hard notice slight adjustments to moves have adjusted frames in short play tests of the game.

You have to bare in mind that tweaks to other character effect how competitive certain characters will be. It might not make them any more fun to play but it might mean better balance.

For example apparantly ultra's have been nerfed across the board, while supers have been buffed. Since seem has one of the best supers in the game thats a reasonable buff for him.

All the american heads got a day with the final build.....so anything big like new moves that we haven't already heard about isn't going to happen. I had a listen to the 2 and a half hour podcast that was posted. It really does seem that some characters got shafted with regards to changes. When you see how much work went into Hakkan and Juri etc. you can see how it happened....but its still unsatisfactory.

I mean, take Guile. He had serious issues implementing his ultra in Vanilla. So what did they do? Give him a new ultra thats even less useful. :rolleyes:

And Blanka isn't faster. He is the same speed he always was. It's just the overall speed of the game engine that has been increased. You watch a video and at first you are thinking " that dash is faster, that move is faster" but its the fact that everything is faster. The moves properties are the same for nearly every move. It's a trick of the mind.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to get Super. And I'll still play dhalsim, regardless of his tier placement.......which will be bottom btw. But I can still lament the lack of changes. Its just disappointing.

I mean, take Guile. He had serious issues implementing his ultra in Vanilla. So what did they do? Give him a new ultra thats even less useful. :rolleyes:

Everything they said about Guile ran completely contrary to everything Capcom have said about him, this included. They pretty much said not being able to combo into his ultra will be dealt with.

None of the PR people of capcom america has anything to do with the balacing of the game, s-kill included.

I would trust the players who play the game, more than the PR people who know very little about the game. Every source has claimed that his new ultra is truly horrendous.

None of the PR people of capcom america has anything to do with the balacing of the game, s-kill included.

I would trust the players who play the game, more than the PR people who know very little about the game. Every source has claimed that his new ultra is truly horrendous.

Ono said they were fixing Guile's ultra. Nothing to do with America.

Well, we shall see. In a months time when you are moaning about how you still can't reliably use guiles ultra, I'll direct you to this thread. :D

Well, we shall see. In a months time when you are moaning about how you still can't reliably use guiles ultra, I'll direct you to this thread. :D

I won't argue that i wait with must trepidation.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Kirby wrote:
    All the american heads got a day with the final build.....so anything big like new moves that we haven't already heard about isn't going to happen. I had a listen to the 2 and a half hour podcast that was posted. It really does seem that some characters got shafted with regards to changes. When you see how much work went into Hakkan and Juri etc. you can see how it happened....but its still unsatisfactory.

A day is not enough (and a days testing means a few hours tops). Look at the original tier listings for SF IV and how much they changed. Everyone tought Zangief and Bison where top tier but they dropped off massively, after a while, they though Guile was better than he was and Honda and Viper where worse. Even now there is slight change's in match ups.

Kirby wrote:
    I mean, take Guile. He had serious issues implementing his ultra in Vanilla. So what did they do? Give him a new ultra thats even less
    useful.

You don't know its going to be less useful.

Seth Killian was talking about Guiles new ultra the Sonic Hurriance over on the Capcom forum.

http://www.capcom-unity.com/ask_capcom/go/thread/view/7371/22637961/Seth._Whats_up_with_Gen...?pg=4

He was saying its only current set up is a combo off Super like his current ultra. But he was saying it was designed more a counter poke for close and mid range and to assist Guile with his footsies.

Guile is suppose to have improved normals and a better flash kick.

As for Blanka not being faster several sources have reported his movement and jump speed are faster. However no one has said anything about a speed increase for any other character, how come they only made a mistake about Blanka?. One would assume they would factor in a speed increase when they reported that.

His c.hp is suppose to do more damage and have more range that can't be attributed to a speed increase in the game.

His new ultra looks useful.

As for Dhalsim being bottom tier I somehow doubt it. But then again go to shoryuken forum and watch how ever says there current character will be crap in SSF IV, (except the Chun and Rose players).

Obviously, everybody see's things from their own point of view. But my take on dhalsim is based on logic, not some fanboyish wish for "buffs".

At the moment he is middle of the road, at best. Ryu, Sagat, Akuma, etc have hundreds of quality players maining them in America, europe and Japan. Dhalsim has two. That should tell you alot about his current incarnation.

If the reports are to be believed, and he is the exact same, he is going to struggle even more.

Makoto, Juri, Hakkan, Dudley....these new guys are going to absolutely destroy him. Thats a given due to their moveset and playstyles. Most of the cast have been given new options and mixups and dhalsim's has the same old same old.

Seth mentioned a new teleport combo, but half the cast just jab him out of teleport anyway so that wont change anything.

Hopefully I'm wrong and there as some nice, subtle changes that make him better. I hope so. But everything I've seen and read makes that unlikely.

I'll just have to play harder and get better. Winning with a subpar character tastes sweeter anyway. Just ask Doom. :D

• Advertisement

Kirby though seriously unless someone like modinside or deiminion or Dagger G said they didn't notice any differences in Guile i'd take it with a pinch of salt. We're talking about buffs to hitboxes mainly with him. Not the type of thing you'd notice off the bat.

Ultra set up- I have no idea and neither do the guys playing I guess. It COULD be anything.

Advertisement