Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

If you looking for something closer to ST Bison's mantra of high risk, high reward then Viper, Akuma and Seth are pretty much that. But its more to do with there low health and high level of executions that makes them difficult characters to use rather than having no defensive options (although Vipers wake up options are pretty poor). They are not footsies orientated characters either.

Dee Jay seems dry enough to be mistaken for a desert in SF4.
    His just hasn't got anything remotely interesting in his arsenal. The pseudo vortex is just an extension of the dryness. Dry fireballs, dry anti airs, dry ultra's. I think what I'm trying to say is thats he's dry. Dry to play as, dry to play against, dry to post about. He's really f**king dry. If Honda had a fireball his name would be Dee Jay!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

The psuedo vortex usually goes like this. Deejay scores a knock down. He jumps in a position where he can cross up with j mk. If he does cross up, he combos into a mk sweep.

However he can knee shot ( j d lk) which cuts his jump arc short and lands in front. So it's a 50- 50 kinda. From the front they either go into the cr mk or a throw, also resetting the "vortex".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Freejay

That's good to know, I should play around with it more.

Yeah it's a nice cancel if you have meter. Here's a link to a vid of it chipping a turtling boxer player to a KO. The video is a decent overall view of deejay's 2012 changes actually, worth a watch. Check out the chip damage, it's nuts given the range and speed he can launch the move at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhaffL-CosA#t=12m36s
    FYI you can do the Ultra pretty much immediately once the super comes out, and it will auto-cancel into the Ultra at the appropriate time. It looks quite bizarre, as you can have your hands off your controller for a good 2 seconds and the Ultra will still come out

Yeah, it's wierd that it buffers so much. I noticed that several times as i was playing around with the timing for the cancel to see if i could vary the number of hits i was getting on the super first for max damage, it was pretty much doing it by itself after a couple of seconds if i input early. If you knew you were going to use that combo cheese someone to a KO by chipping them with it you could get dead cheeky and walk away from the game halfway through the super and still win.:D

A vortex is where a character knocks you down, then on your wake-up forces you to make a guess from a wide range of options, and if you guess wrong they reset the situation and do it again.

Ah, ok. It WAS something i already knew how to do. Wakeup mixup pressure and guessing games, except there's a specific name for it now. Thanks for that!! :D
    The psuedo vortex usually goes like this. Deejay scores a knock down. He jumps in a position where he can cross up with j mk. If he does cross up, he combos into a mk sweep.

However he can knee shot ( j d lk) which cuts his jump arc short and lands in front. So it's a 50- 50 kinda...

Cool, so you're forcing your opponent to guess, and if they guess wrong, they take damage and the situation is reset. Check. Thanks!

I'm just used to calling that "forcing your opponent to guess, and if they guess wrong, they're screwed and you can do it again".

I'll adjust my terminology....
    Azza wrote: »
    If you looking for something closer to ST Bison's mantra of high risk, high reward then Viper, Akuma and Seth are pretty much that. But its more to do with there low health and high level of executions that makes them difficult characters to use rather than having no defensive options

Yeah, i love akuma, his playstyle is great, so versatile and mobile, but i find that his crappy health means that as soon as you go behind you've got a mountain to climb to get back in. It's so easy to play defensively in 4 that akuma needs to stay in front at all times, and there's a big execution barrier there. You can't afford mistakes, and trust me, that's not how i do things :D

Seth is a cheesy b**tard, am not picking him up, but i'll take a look at viper. Cheers!
    Dee Jay seems dry enough to be mistaken for a desert in SF4.
    His just hasn't got anything remotely interesting in his arsenal. The pseudo vortex is just an extension of the dryness. Dry fireballs, dry anti airs, dry ultra's. I think what I'm trying to say is thats he's dry. Dry to play as, dry to play against, dry to post about. He's really f**king dry....

Wait, hold on, I'm not really getting what you mean...are you saying he's dry?...?? ;)

Wait, hold on, I'm not really getting what you mean...are you saying he's dry?...?? ;)

Azza is the local expert on playstyles resembling a ryvita in the sahara.

With no butter, he used it all for psycho crushers

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Dee Jay (ディージェイ Dī Jei?) is a character from Capcom's Street Fighter series of fighting games. He is a Jamaican kickboxer who also works as a recording artist and breakdancer. He wears boxing pants with the word "MAXIMUM" emblazoned on the sides (originally "MANTIS"), a word which was chosen specifically because all of its letters are symmetrical, and thus would still look correct when the sprite was flipped between facing right and left. He was designed by James Goddard, and is the only character at the time to be designed by an American. He was based on kickboxer Billy Blanks. His most recent appearance was in Super Street Fighter IV. In it, he is voiced by Kenji Hamada in the Japanese version and Chris Cain in the English version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dee_Jay

28437-1.jpg

Best character 4eva!!11!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I hate DJ's stupid perma-grin.

And I play Adon, so that says a lot.

Mackdaddi wrote:
    Yeah, i love akuma, his playstyle is great, so versatile and mobile, but i find that his crappy health means that as soon as you go behind you've got a mountain to climb to get back in. It's so easy to play defensively in 4 that akuma needs to stay in front at all times, and there's a big execution barrier there. You can't afford mistakes, and trust me, that's not how i do things

Seth is a cheesy b**tard, am not picking him up, but i'll take a look at viper. Cheers!

Akuma has excellent comeback potential, possible the best comeback potential. Excellent damage output, excellent mix up options, if your struggling to make comebacks with him, your going struggle with any character.

Viper has a higher execution barrier than Akuma.

Akuma has excellent comeback potential, possible the best comeback potential. Excellent damage output, excellent mix up options, if your struggling to make comebacks with him, your going struggle with any character

Yes, possibly. I don't like chasing a lead in this game, full stop. I think the welfare combo system (ultra combos) encourages very defensive play after you've gotten into a good lead, as it rewards the other player with meter and a big easy combo for basically failing at playing the game properly, and that doesn't make for good gameplay.

But hey, that's a whole other discussion...

Yes, possibly. I don't like chasing a lead in this game, full stop. I think the welfare combo system (ultra combos) encourages very defensive play after you've gotten into a good lead, as it rewards the other player with meter and a big easy combo for basically failing at playing the game properly, and that doesn't make for good gameplay.

But hey, that's a whole other discussion...

It makes sense to play defensively on a big life lead, ultra or not. Why take a risk when you can let time force your opponent to take them instead?

And if you're at a massive life deficit chasing the lead, well, the other guy won't have an ultra :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Ultras haven't been a big deal for that reason since Vanilla.

It makes sense to play defensively on a big life lead, ultra or not. Why take a risk when you can let time force your opponent to take them instead?

Actually, I think that's a mentality unique to the streetfighter IV series. To me, at least in any other version of streetfighter, when you've been playing well and using strategies that have gotten you ahead in a round, the best way to play is to keep doing the same thing, and press your advantage.

In IV everything changes when you get ahead and the other player gets an ultra. The risk/reward balance gets totally skewed and the focus switches more to protecting your lead. With ultras, taking risks or pressing your advantage (which has always been a big part of play with a lot of characters in a lot of games) now carries a big penalty if it doesn't come off, and so it's natural to back off and defend or to play more cautiously.

I think that changes the dynamics of the gameplay in a way that's unique to this series.

Actually, I think that's a mentality unique to the streetfighter IV series. To me, at least in any other version of streetfighter, when you've been playing well and using strategies that have gotten you ahead in a round, the best way to play is to keep doing the same thing, and press your advantage.

You think defensive play is unique to sf4?!

You think defensive play is unique to sf4?!

No, of course not. Just the switch that happens when a player who might have been playing more offensively gets into a lead in IV and has an ultra to think about from the other side. It can change a game a lot in mid-round, and it's kind of unusual to this game as most other games don't reward TAKING damage rather than dealing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Just the switch that happens when a player who might have been playing more offensively gets into a lead in IV and has an ultra to think about from the other side. It can change a game a lot in mid-round, and it's kind of unusual to this game as most other games don't reward TAKING damage rather than dealing it.

K-Groove.

The thing about K groove though was that you could wait out the rage boost, really I think it would have been much smarter for ultra meter to slowly drain over time, so that you couldn't sit on the tactical advantage forever.

Makes sense too, it was originally the "revenge" gauge, after a while you wouldn't be quite as pissed over that punch to the chops.

Not to mention as far back as fatal fury 2, you had things like unlimited meter under 25% health.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Yo tier list.

A セス、キャミイ、フェイロン、アドン
    B リュウ、ケン、本田、バイソン、バルログ、サガット、ベガ、ヴァイパー、
      ルーファス、豪鬼、さくら、いぶき、まこと、ジュリ
    C ブランカ、ザンギエフ、ガイル、ダルシム、アベル、ローズ、元、ガイ、
      コーディー、ダッドリー、ユン、ヤン、殺意リュウ、鬼
    D 春麗、フォルテ、剛拳、ダン、ホーク、DJ、ハカン

Aka

A seth cammy fei adon
    B ryu ken honda bison balrog sagat vega viper
    C rufus sakura Ibuki makoto

Couldn't get the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Couldn't get the rest.

Using my expert Japanese skills, I have deducted that DeeJay is D tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Yo tier list.

A セス、キャミイ、フェイロン、アドン
      ルーファス、豪鬼、さくら、いぶき、まこと、ジュリ
    C ブランカ、ザンギエフ、ガイル、ダルシム、アベル、ローズ、元、ガイ、

Aka

A seth cammy fei adon
    B ryu ken honda bison balrog sagat vega viper
    C rufus sakura Ibuki makoto

Couldn't get the rest.

I think I can decipher that second last one

EDIT
    Sairus wrote: »
    Using my expert Japanese skills, I have deducted that DeeJay is D tier.

Damn you Sai! :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Yo tier list.

A セス、キャミイ、フェイロン、アドン
      ルーファス、、さくら、いぶき、まこと、ジュリ
    C ブランカ、ザンギエフ、ガイル、ダルシム、アベル、ローズ、、ガイ、

Aka

Couldn't get the rest.

Yo Fergus, your Japanese skills be crap yo: Less go Katakana

A: Seth, Cammy, Fei Long, Adon
    B: Ryu, Ken, Honda, Bison (Possibly meaning Boxer), Balrog (possibly meaning claw), Sagat, Vega (possibly meaning Dicktakor), C.Viper, Rufus, Akuma, Sakura, Ibuki, Makoto, Juri
    C: Blanka, Zangief, Guile, Dhalsim, Abel, Rose, Gen. Guy, Cody, Dudely, Yun, Yang, Evil Ryu, Oni
    D: Chun Li, El Fuerte, Gouken, Dan (Not last!!), T.Hawk, Dee-Jay, Hakan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Vega (possibly meaning Dicktakor)

Is that a homophobic slur?!

• Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

No no that's exactly what it says. Translated word for word :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Why am I not winning tournaments with my E-Z A-tier character? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

jesus what happened to chunli, i knew it lads - ive been losing for a reason !;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Where's that tier list from? Just cause it's in Japanese doesn't make it the word of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

That Japanese tier list is the June tier list from Arcadia magazine which is normally regarded as the offical Jap tier list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Has anyone ever had an issue with Battle/Player Point randomly disappearing? I've hemorrhaged points twice now, even after winning. I was reading in regards to the same problem on SFXT, that it could be network issues, but my disconnect rate is still at zero. Any ideas, lads?

Not really.

I have heard reports that if you got really high pp/bp thats if you beat really low low ranked players you can actually loose points, but I thought that was just in SFxT.

Your connection disconnect rate goes down as well over time. So if you go to 1% and then don't have any more disconnections for a while it will drop back down to 0%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Your connection disconnect rate goes down as well over time. So if you go to 1% and then don't have any more disconnections for a while it will drop back down to 0%.

Aye, but this was in the space of about five-ish minutes, and my disconnection rate never shifted from zero. I lost 100PP, the won two games, just to drop 200 more PP. My rank was pretty dismal as it was, but this is rippin' the mick.

Advertisement