Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

SirAuronDX wrote: »
    [Air Raging Demon]: Modified so that it will only hit airborne opponents, and can be used in combos. Damage has been reduced from 370->320. Normal [Raging Demon] is still a throw.

So does this mean you could light punch shoryu anti air into it? if so that would be BOSS

I hope so. I have missed so many flashy wins cause they get hit with the jab input of the demon and flip out. It says that ground demon still counts as a throw so I think they changed it so it ain't an air throw but rather an animation that always triggers on contact with airborne opponents, if that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Surely sweep puts you in a better position to mix up than Tatsu does?

Maybe..kens ex tatsu or hk tatsu on hit puts you at a great frame advantage.Even on block I think its even.
    Also puts you right in front of opponent to apply pressure with a load of possibilities..another combo,kara throw,block string,dash back,do nothing,neutral jump,cross over or mix any of the above.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

Ken's ex.tatsu ia -1 on hit. Anyone with a 3 frame move will be able to interrupt Ken's next normal or throw attempt if they are fast enough. Thats why a sweep gives a better mix up. However its still an excellent tool for mix ups and does good damage.

Ken's hard kick was made better, faster start up, less recovery on whiff, may set up combo's off a counterhit, and its probably going be fairly safe in most circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

A lot of Ken players delay cr.tech after an ex tatsu so DPs usually get blocked (from my exp anyway)

But yeah sweep gives better mixup potential for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Red350

Ken's ex tatsu is +1 on hit, hk is -1 on hit.

After ex you get a great mixup against anyone without a fast command grab, but sweep is still significantly better due to his ambiguous crossup lk air hurricane kick, which you can combo back in to sweep to keep the mixup going.

Ken's going to drop back to mid tier with this nerf, it's what brought him up to high tier in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Adon's getting nerfed.

FFS
    [Jaguar Kick]: Hittable area of light and medium versions has been enlarged. Hittable area of heavy version remains the same, but damage has been reduced from 140->130.

[close MK]: Properties have been changed back to what it is in existing SSFIV AE.
    So they made his one good special move WORSE, and removed a buff which would've made cl.MK useful.

Fvck this, I'm learning Rufus 3rd Strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Adon's getting nerfed.

Have to say i'm very dissapointed with that aswell. I would say the damage nerf depends on how much the hitbox on the LK and MK JK's was increased but i get the distinct feeling they added like a pixel onto the hitbox so they can claim it all balances out or something. Removing the cl.MK buff is very wtf, when it was posted in the Alpha changelist most Adon players i saw talking about it had the opinion that 'yea that's nice, not very useful but nice' so i can't see how it was so game changing that they knew it had to go after only 2 weeks...there are some very simple things that they could do to make him a very solid character like making his HK RJ invinsible, giving him a useful kara throw or making it so his TK JK was easier to execute (not saying all of those, just one would be plenty, all would give him several 7:3 matches)

Well guess it just goes to show that whining will get you. The amount of hatemail i get about JK being a broken move or that it's a spam move is funny. It's a shame that the voices heard on nerfs and buffs is often the voice of someone who never plays the character in question and don't have a clue about the challeneges they have to overcome and how certain moves are required to do well with a character.

Very dissapointed overall with what they done to a lot of chars, Rose being the worst, Balrog, Guile, Rufus, Fuerte, Guy, Cammy all getting terrible treatment. Fingers crossed for more useful changes in the final version but i'm already resigning myself to the game being dominated by 5 or 6 chars instead of 2 or 3...which is an improvment i guess :P

aeonfusion wrote:
    Very dissapointed overall with what they done to a lot of chars, Rose being the worst, Balrog, Guile, Rufus, Fuerte, Guy, Cammy all getting terrible treatment. Fingers crossed for more useful changes in the final version but i'm already resigning myself to the game being dominated by 5 or 6 chars instead of 2 or 3...which is an improvment i guess

Balrog will be good in 2012. He's pretty much back to his super level. Don't see how you can be dissapointed with that.

Which 5-6 character you see dominating in 2012?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I dunno, I'm thinking Guile is at least looking reasonable in SSFIVAE2012 (best acronym ever)

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭aeonfusion

Azza wrote: »
    Which 5-6 character you see dominating in 2012?

I suppose it's hard to judge at the moment without a full list of changes and a few big tournaments but i think it's safe to say Akuma, Fei Long and Viper will be in that list. I'm swinging a wild guess at Cody, Yun and Zangief though as i say, everything's pretty much up in the air right now. I can't see Gouken making it up there even with all his buffs. Wouldn't mind hearing what you guys have to say about "the new top tier" seeing as everyone who reads this is more than likely going to have a much more informed opinion than me.
    best acronym ever

Rolls off the tongue alright :D The 2012 part will get dropped after release (i hope anyway)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭The Hound

Dam Capcom. Give Ryu back his cr mk frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Id just like to praise capcom for they're great work on this patch

Generally I'm quite happy with the balance changes.

I think the Fei and Viper changes are perfect. They didn't go overboard with them. Just toned down there damage a little.

Fei will probably be up at the top.

Zangief will be strong. But his really bad match are pretty much as bad as ever. Since vanilla, Seth, Sagat, Akuma and Blanka have owned his soul. Blanka's going get worse for him. Top 10 for him.

Blanka could finally be a contender. They gave him exactly what he needed, a reversal with a knockdown. Top 10

Makoto got away relatively unscathed. She's going be still top 10.

Sagat will be top 5 now.

Seth will also be top 5.

Undecided on Akuma's position. Twins may still give him trouble. Cammy will still beat him. I'm not sure how much the nerfs will affect him.

Balrog will be borderline top 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

The Hound wrote: »
    Dam Capcom. Give Ryu back his cr mk frown.gif

Repost, retweet re-everything so they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Neeknak

Toronto Fighting Game Championship XII is on now (http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/sep/24/toronto-fighting-game-championships-xii/ ). AE teams are not long started. Combofiend just scored an OCV with Oni. It's great seeing lesser used characters doing well at tournament level. Hopefully with the 2012 update this will be a more regular occurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭spacenugget

Looks like Balrog/Honda and Guys Ultra 2's are now qcbx2

Guys Ultra 2 qcbx2?!?!
    This news makes me happy in my man pants.

:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

This rebalance can't come quick enough for me. Counter hit nerf is nearly completely draining this game of fun for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

I think the changes to codys bad spray and ESPECIALLY the change to his overhead having a combo after it may actually shove him up a tier or two. Overhead hook (F+HP) was always risky because it usually had some bad frames on it. now they've allowed us to combo with c.lk into ruffian? man thats sick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Looks like Balrog/Honda and Guys Ultra 2's are now qcbx2

Guys Ultra 2 qcbx2?!?!
    This news makes me happy in my man pants.

:pac:

It was already easy to do as half circles and the command change doesn't matter if they can just jump out of it.

U1 will still be his best Ultra.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Doyler01

It was already easy to do as half circles and the command change doesn't matter if they can just jump out of it.

It will be much easier to buffer now and option select.
    Wake up ex run u2 will be easier too. It's a good buff.

Best Ultra depends on the match up surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

I got a patch today, any word on what this was about?

It's been a while since i played SSFIV so i might be behind the times...

But buffering it into ex run stop, doing it on reaction to slow overheads etc etc will be 10x easier. Command change can make a difference to an Ultra, remember all the guys who flocked to bison for Ultra 2.
    It now being qcbx2 means its quicker to come out, buffer and there is less chance of messing up the imput when under pressure
    (which is why I use ultra1 :o). Im excited about it to be honest. (Im like a kid a christmas)

It also got a buff to the grab range.
    If the other chap is jumping out of it your using it wrong. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

It was already easy to do as half circles

Actually the motion has to be done pretty much perfectly, if you dont hit forward both times on the HCB's you'll get Hozonto (elbow) instead or in some rare cases something totally different.

Look at NOX2's inputs at 1:46, he clearly did the motion for U2 but what comes out ?, a Hurricane kick :confused:

Doing it in the middle of block strings or after EX run stop, while possible, was a pain in the arse and as shown above, even pros drop it once in a blue moon.
    and the command change doesn't matter if they can just jump out of it.

True, but against people who like to press buttons, its a different story. Theres a couple of different setups where Guy players will go for a throw during run stop pressure, I had 30 games with Hound the other night and kept going for one of the easier of these setups (I was auto piloting a bit), I caught him the first time but every single time I tried it after he teched the throw. Now what happens if I go U2 instead of throw ?, if he trys to tech it he eats U2, if he thinks Im going for U2 he could jump but I could also just do nothing and punish him on the way down (course if I go for the Ultra and he neutral Jumps he can punish me). Having U1 means all he has to do is tech my throws, if I have U2 he has to guess if Im gonna throw, U2 or do nothing to bait him.

It just opens up a lot more options.

Check out this video of me at 4:17, U1's damage scaling it horrendous and Capcom have not addressed this (yet) in the patch, and you can only combo into it in the corner. Capcom are changing its range, right now if you do FF Chain -> FADC -> U1 full screen only the first 2 kicks will connect, the change may make it so the first 4 kicks land but you don't get the cinematic at the end which is better then nothing.

U2 does 500 damage, because it a command grab ultra the only possible combo is after a focus crumple, where it scales to 499 but I think 1 point of damage is worth 200 stun :)

For high level players like Kiryu and Nox its matchup dependent, for mid to above average level players most go with U1 purely because of the input issues U2 has, which in my book means it has issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

reaction to slow overheads etc etc will be 10x easier

It's not possible to do this imo, for example if I did f+mk with Yang good luck react ultraing it Any other overhead while under pressure for the same reasons.... :pac:

Not feasible

Ramza wrote: »
    It's not possible to do this imo, for example if I did f+mk with Yang good luck react ultraing it Any other overhead while under pressure for the same reasons.... :pac:

Not feasible

*removes long winded post trying to explain himself.
    Ramza wrote: »
    good luck react ultraing it

Im sure as hell going to try.

Edit: Only thing Ill ad is that yang is impossible to counter with Ultra 2 because he is airbourne when he does his overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

The change to U2's input is useful, i cudnt do HCBx2 reliably at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Snip

I know, but the most common way Guy can combo into that Ultra is after his final fight chain, which is 4 hits. Trust me, any Guy player will tell you the Ultra scales really badly compared to other Ultras in the game. Plus you can only combo into it in the corner, Ive just had 30 games with Araforn and I only landed that Ultra once, unless you get a dizzy or focus crumple full screen its a complete waste.

As for Rog, I dont play Rog but doesn't every 2nd or 3rd punch whiff when you do headbutt Ultra 1?, and wasnt the damage nerfed in AE ?.

Again I totally agree with you, I just think Capcom need to change Guys U1 so it either A) doesn't scale as badly, or B) remains the same but can combo from full screen. I think they should buff the damage on the first 4 hits but nerf it on the cinematic part at the end so the damage output is the same when you land it raw, but it still does decent damage if you combo into it full screen except you don't get the cinematic bit at the end (like Yangs U2).

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

At least you have a usable ultra.

J0hnick wrote: »
    I know, but the most common way Guy can combo into that Ultra is after his final fight chain, which is 4 hits. Trust me, any Guy player will tell you the Ultra scales really badly compared to other Ultras in the game. Plus you can only combo into it in the corner, Ive just had 30 games with Araforn and I only landed that Ultra once, unless you get a dizzy or focus crumple full screen its a complete waste.
    .... Snip....

Yeah the FF chain kills the Ultra. It does 460 naked. Probably the most reliable way to land the ultra is to hit confirm into the FF chain, so that 2 (crouching lp/lk) then the FF chain means your looking at 6 hits before you even FADC (unless right in the corner) Im pretty sure you get something like 330ish damage. But yeah it scales to hell and is pretty hard to land outside what you mentioned and focus attack crumple.

Rog:
    Jump in HP, 2x cr. lp, cr.lk, HP headbut, Juggle lk Ultra : 340ish damage. No meter needed. Thats meterless 5 hits and not full ultra yet doing similar damage.

260ish from just cr.lp x2 cr.lk, Hp headbutt juggle Ultra which is a bit ****e but easy to land. But if your doing that wouldnt you do lp dash punch into full ultra instead for 341 odd?

I dont play rog so I dont know why you would do which version but i do know Rog can land that Ultra juggle easy as hell once he lands those jabs, guy has a horrible time trying to get that Ultra landed. Also I realise the jump in HP would be adding a bit to that Ultra damage so I apologise for that.
    I'd rather a 260ish damage meterless Ultra setup from a 2 hit crouching hit confirm anywhere on screen to Guys Ultra 1. But after messing around they do similar damage, just Guy has a fecking nightmare trying to land his compared to some of the cast. It kinda has the same problems Feis Ultra had in Vanilla, cept it can be combo'd fully in the corner.

It does a job, but its fecking hard to get good damage and to land it often enough to warrant it being comboable. I suppose its fast enough at 12 frames to punish a few things and the buffs to it in ae12 could change it completely.
    Also I forgot to mention, Guys Ultra 1 also looks kickass compared to Rogs, so it wins in that respect. :D
    At least you have a usable ultra.

Dont worry man, your going to be Arse slamming everyone that gets in range with the new command motion :D

:pac: man that was a lot of typing

• Advertisement

RopeDrink wrote: »
    snip.... In terms of Guy, he'll need to have setups looked into but not a damage increase......

This :), its the fact every setup Guy has to land the Ultra has a silly amount of hits OR uses a lot of meter (then scales badly anyway). I'm honestly hoping that the changes in AE12 will make both Ultras more usefull.

Advertisement