Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ultra Street Fighter 4 Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

We'll all still play though right?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Ramza wrote: »
    We'll all still play though right?

no man, because we know our characters best, not capcom/
    lol etc

Was being critical, people will still play even though there character is changed? is what I meant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Was being critical, people will still play even though there character is changed? is what I meant

No way am I playing another version of Super SFIV.

I'm going back to Vanilla SFIV, quitting my job, boarding up the windows and doors of my house and will live off a diet ramen noodles and lidl beer in protest. I don't ever want to hear of a new SFIV game ever again, so will also be exploding my laptop as the only use I'll have for the internet is championship mode on Vanilla SFIV

A-Trak wrote: »

I'm going back to Vanilla SFIV, quitting my job, boarding up the windows and doors of my house and will live off a diet ramen noodles and lidl beer in protest. I don't ever want to hear of a new SFIV game ever again, so will also be exploding my laptop as the only use I'll have for the internet is championship mode on Vanilla SFIV

Lol. I was basically saying this. I'm agreeing with ye like. I haven't looked into the character changes but apparently some characters suck now. Lame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

A-Trak wrote: »

AE should bring back Championship Mode. Way better than all the modes in SSFIV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah champ mode was by far the best mode.It better be in AE. Knowing Capcom they will create some other stupid mode...like that crappy tournament mode they tried.
    GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I don't like Championship mode cause it made some players unable to play each other. Was basically useless on PC cause of the relatively few players, half of which weren't able to play each other in Champ mode.

Plus it was just a crazy grind with very little way of losing points - I'd prefer a straight up ELO system like chess or Starcraft 2 (along the lines of PP but that doesn't seem to work quite as well as an ELO system).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Championship mode was crap, its separated people too much. I prefer ranked and endless.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lol. I was basically saying this. I'm agreeing with ye like. I haven't looked into the character changes but apparently some characters suck now. Lame.

I wasn't having a pop at you myself man, I am just a little bit disappointed that most of the characters I feel an affinity for now suck. :) Of course I will still be playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭unky chop chop

Yeah but i liked the satisfaction you got from getting to the final.
    Plus when you progressed in levels you fought people that were of much higher caliber.
    Maybe i just have fond memories because it was when i was learning the game and you could see your progress/
    I remember my first fight in G1..it wasn't pretty

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Why is everyone talking about their characters being nerfed, Ono said AE was made unbalanced intentionally.I can guarantee AE console will be completely different to normal AE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Ono said AE was made unbalanced intentionally.
    God I hate you, Ono. You damn loveable troll you.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭stev0knev022

liamnojo92 wrote: »
    Why is everyone talking about their characters being nerfed, Ono said AE was made unbalanced intentionally.I can guarantee AE console will be completely different to normal AE.

They tried to balance the game in such way as to encourage aggressive play, so characters who could win by just relying on strong defense were hit with the nerf bat. (though apparently Dhalsim didn't need to be changed at all, FFS capcom)

Characters like Guile, Honda, Blanka in their super iterations just didn't fit with what capcom was trying to achieve with AE.

They tried to balance the game in such way as to encourage aggressive play, so characters who could win by just relying on strong defense were hit with the nerf bat. (though apparently Dhalsim didn't need to be changed at all, FFS capcom)

Err, except for Chun, Sagat, Rose (apart from losing her free U2 activation), and Deejay, who all seem very strong in AE? And that's just characters I'm considering "purely" defensive, there are others who can play offense too but also have great defense and are still solid in AE.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    Err, except for Chun, Sagat, Rose (apart from losing her free U2 activation), and Deejay, who all seem very strong in AE? And that's just characters I'm considering "purely" defensive, there are others who can play offense too but also have great defense and are still solid in AE.

what's your point.

what's your point.

That not all characters who can win purely by strong defence were hit by the nerf bat.

Honestly I feel like Capcom's balance decisions are made based on what people moan about online... MVC3 is confirming my suspicions. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I'm entirely NOT surprised by this move. Anyway, I said I'd preferred if it was disc release so thats leave me happy. I'll be getting it regardless. That and I always said we'd be waiting at least 3 months after the release of MvC3 for this to drop so I was only a month off.

I just think that if you look at the balance changes they made to the game. Whether it be fly-away Ryu, no jab Hb AA, punishable blanka balls, Ibuki air kunai, seth Jump HP, chun df Lk, guile in general etc.

The majority of nerfs characters were given in AE was to to their defensive options imo.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

(though apparently Dhalsim didn't need to be changed at all, FFS capcom)

Sim did get nerfed. Got a few damage nerfs on Yoga Flame and his super and possible 1 or 2 normals as well.

What changes do you guys dislike the most?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

My balls got destroyed

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

My character now being on the godlike tier :(

Azza wrote: »
    Sim did get nerfed. Got a few damage nerfs on Yoga Flame and his super and possible 1 or 2 normals as well.

What changes do you guys dislike the most?

They nerfed my jump Mp it makes me sad all day :(:(:(. That was my whole strategy vs Chun li and Guile.

Sagat06 wrote:
    My balls got destroyed
    Your balls where destroyed along time ago!
    liamnojo92 wrote:
    My character now being on the godlike tier

Poor thing!

I just think that if you look at the balance changes they made to the game. Whether it be fly-away Ryu, no jab Hb AA, punishable blanka balls, Ibuki air kunai, seth Jump HP, chun df Lk, guile in general etc.

The majority of nerfs characters were given in AE was to to their defensive options imo.

Blanka balls and air kunai I'd both consider offensive nerfs, not defensive? Not sure what you mean by those two, I agree the others are obviously nerfs to defensive options.

Then again you also have stuff like Bison u2 motion change (makes defensive fireballs stronger vs. him), Zangief's EX hand not knocking down on hit (gives him a much weaker mixup game - lot harder to get a knockdown now, though the jab SPD range buff might compensate for that), and Cammy no longer being able to tiger knee cannon strike (absolutely gigantic offensive nerf).

There are two sides to the coin, it wasn't just defensive stuff that got nerfed bad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    That not all characters who can win purely by strong defence were hit by the nerf bat.

Honestly I feel like Capcom's balance decisions are made based on what people moan about online... MVC3 is confirming my suspicions. :pac:

It really does seem this way.

Of course, these people will just move on to moan about the next thing they get beaten with.

Ex.Green hand not knocking down is a massive nerf. His buffs half way compensate for it though. Jab SPD range is a big buff, and the tiny bit extra damage on LP/HP SPD. Normal green hands knocking down on counterhit is tiny buff. Ultra 2 looks a good bit more useful too. Think his S.HP does more damage too.

Factoring in the nerfs to other characters, do you think Gief's bad match ups got any better Dreddy? Or any good match ups gone bad. Looks like Gief has Yun and Yang covered at least.

Appears to me Sagat and Akuma are as bad as ever.

But Ryu loosing escape tatsu. Guile (not sure if the nerfs he got matter in that match up) and Honda got a lot of nerfs. Seth loosing J.HP, Blanka balls easier to punish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Ken B

D4RK ONION wrote: »
    Thank you Google Translate!

a9490.jpg
    I have a degree in Japanese and this actually translates as:
    'Likes: Strong man to hit on.....'

Also I really liked Champ mode as italways gave you the feeling you were working towards something and gave you the opportunity to fight soem top players in a semblance of competitive play, where else could I have fought Alioune, Starnab, EMP Sabin, Monira king, Cobelcog, Skatanmilla, unky chop chop and ermmm...Imstilldadaddy.

It was the mutt's nuts, I reckon...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Good point, it's amazing the internet didn't go mad it wasn't offered as a DLC for 1000 MS points.

It should be a DLC. Yung/Yang, Evil Ryu and Oni Akuma aren't enough to validate a new disc release. They should put more characters in.

• Advertisement

Dunno if I've ever intentionally pressed s.hp... :pac:

I'm not sure about his bad matchups really, Guile should definitely be easier but I think it'd still be well in his favour. Honda I'm not sure about, he can probably turtle just as effectively vs. Gief though the damage output nerfs should help a lot.

Blanka is definitely easier with being able to punish balls consistently, though his normals will still be a bitch to deal with. No idea how that match is gonna go.

Seth seems like it'll be an easy enough matchup in AE.

Didn't Akuma lose escape tatsu too? Not that it really matters much, I think him, Ryu, and Sagat will still be pretty much just as hard for Gief as in Super (Sagat probably harder with his DP damage buffed again).

I'll probably still play him occasionally, maybe just as a counterpick to the twins if he really destroys them that badly.

edit: And the game has enough characters ffs, who wants more matchups to learn?

Advertisement