Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Postcodes to be introduced

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

T12 seems tt be another cork one, looks like theres only 2, limerick city has V94, galway has H91, Waterford has X91.

All a bit random so far but sure what else should I have expected! Has anyone ggo a better leaked set of codes, its painful to get them this way

The Cush wrote: »
    Found this one for Limerick, Castletroy V94 WNY2. None for my local area yet

21ufpz.jpg

Tried to search this in google maps, no luck, hopefully they are waiting for the official date tt turn on the search

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Trouwe Ier

The Cush wrote: »
    Found this one for Limerick, None for my local area yet

That is interesting.

"T" for "trouble"? (only kidding!)

They did assign "T56" to the ficticious Macroom address in their business guide so I suppose they were not too far off the mark.

With reference to one of my recent posts, I can't see why they would need to assign "V94" to 86,000 Limerick addresses.

Why 2 "91"s to two cities?

Checked to see if they expanded the dublin codes outside the traditional areas, looks like all of county Dublin now gets a 'K' prefix instead (K78, K67, K32)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

ukoda wrote: »
    It's the standard link you get on the google maps app for phones, drop a pin, click on the info bar at the bottom and click Share, no matter what option you choose to use to share it, it uses the short URL link
    OK thanks, I was trying to find it on a PC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's no logic to these!

Cork City seems to be T12 and T23
    Glanmire T45
    Carrigaline, a close commuter town of Cork City is P43
    Ballincollig P31
    Cobh P24

Blackrock in Dublin is A94

Pretty stupid looking system.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,166 ✭✭✭plodder

This was in the IT yesterday:

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/retail-and-services/eircode-chief-defends-use-of-seven-digit-code-system-1.2274211
    Mr Duggan said he has met members of the transport association and listened to their complaints.

“A system that would suit their purposes would not suit everybody else. We were not designing a system for just one body or just one company,” he said.

“Different people divide up the country in different ways: the HSE into treatment areas, for instance; and the Garda divides into divisions. If you came up with a system to suit one body it would not suit everybody else,” he added.
    By that reasoning, they designed a system that suits nobody :)

In fact though, small areas were designed to be "atomic" meaning it doesn't make sense to split them any further, but you combine them in different ways for different purposes (eg as electoral divisions, treatment areas, garda divisions) etc.

The real reasons they went this way are:

1) to keep the system proprietary and of limited use without paying for it

2) as an attempt to avoid postcode snobbery.

Ah sure why so something the logical way when you can do to the most convoluted way possible!?

Also just wait until someone challenges the use of D for Baile Atha Cliath under the official languages act which, being Ireland, will inevitably happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Your MPRN number is on your electricity bill - you can also search using that. Just found out my eircode :D

moyners wrote: »
    Your MPRN number is on your electricity bill - you can also search using that. Just found out my eircode :D

Only if your property has an energy rating.
    Most existing buildings that haven't been sold in the last 5 years or so wouldn't have a BER cert.

• Advertisement

SpaceTime wrote: »
    Only if your property has an energy rating.
    Most existing buildings that haven't been sold in the last 5 years or so wouldn't have a BER cert.

That's true, good point. Not that knowing mine is any use to me until they're officially launched. Interesting to know what it is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

recedite wrote: »
    If your house has a BER Certificate, you should be able to see your eircode here. It seems they have been busy cross-referencing all the certs and the MPRN numbers with the new eircodes.

That should be quite useful to the property tax people too, as there is quite a bit of information there including the floor area, the year it was built etc.. which combined with location, would give a good estimate of its actual value.

Just tried using my MPRN No here, it draws a blank.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

So my house has a BER, and a couple of neighbours have sold their houses in the last year or two. I managed to find the BER cert for the neighhbour 10 houses away from me, and their postcode (the last 4 characters, after first three characters which are the same) is quite different to mine - pretty annonymised

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

I just checked the BERs of a couple of houses in Roscommon, and some have Eircodes listed, and some don't.

I wonder what the hit-and-miss nature of Eircodes in that database implies about the reliability of eircode allocation.

Bayberry wrote: »
    I just checked the BERs of a couple of houses in Roscommon, and some have Eircodes listed, and some don't.

I wonder what the hit-and-miss nature of Eircodes in that database implies about the reliability of eircode allocation.

It's pre-release, so maybe the script is still running in their DB?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Bayberry

Dardania wrote: »
    It's pre-release, so maybe the script is still running in their DB?

The Eircodes were allocated months ago, and the various consultants have been upgrading databases for months now - I doubt that they're leaving things to the last minute to actually populate the databases - it's not as if the eircodes would be changing.

What's the launch date?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

The Eircodes were allocated months ago, and the various consultants have been upgrading databases for months now - I doubt that they're leaving things to the last minute to actually populate the databases - it's not as if the eircodes would be changing.

I just went back and checked mine on the BER website again and this time the code isn't coming up with the address so it looks like they've fixed the leak :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

moyners wrote: »
    I just went back and checked mine on the BER website again and this time the code isn't coming up with the address so it looks like they've fixed the leak :pac:

Someone snitched on us :p I managed to get my eircode anyway tho.

I actually already have it memorised, so i wouldn't see anyone having issues remembering it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

larchill wrote: »

Another cut and paste from a press release - or is it just paste.

If every house with a non-unique address was assigned a house name, much of the non-unique element would be solved. It works with email addresses - so why not house addresses?

Why all the secrecy? Surely they could be published.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭ukoda

Another cut and paste from a press release - or is it just paste.

If every house with a non-unique address was assigned a house name, much of the non-unique element would be solved. It works with email addresses - so why not house addresses?

Why all the secrecy? Surely they could be published.

Because decades of "use what ever the ***k address you want" syndrome has made that into a huge task to take on.

Email started as unique from day one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

Have the ones that don't got non-unique addresses? You would expect 4 out of every 10 to not have an Eircode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭a65b2cd

Dardania wrote: »
    I managed to find the BER cert for the neighhbour 10 houses away from me

How did you manage to find it? From an auctioneers site or did they give it to you?

What was the routing key letter for that part of the world? By the time I got home, the "leak" had been discovered and I was unable to find out my own code. Ah well!

Here's what we seem to have gleaned during the unexpected window of opportunity.

A - South East Dublin (probably the most affluent part of the Republic and it gets "A")
    D - Dublin
    H - Galway
    K - Co. Dublin (part)
    P - Deep South Cork
    T - Cork City and East Hinterland
    V - Limerick
    X - Waterford

I think that leaves C, E, F, N, R, W, Y.

Trouwe Ier wrote: »
    What was the routing key letter for that part of the world? By the time I got home, the "leak" had been discovered and I was unable to find out my own code. Ah well!

Here's what we seem to have gleaned during the unexpected window of opportunity.

A - South East Dublin (probably the most affluent part of the Republic and it gets "A")
    D - Dublin
    H - Galway
    K - Co. Dublin (part)
    P - Deep South Cork
    V - Limerick
    X - Waterford

Blackrock in Dublin is A94 anyway.
    Ballincollig which is just immediately West of Cork City seems to be P31

I'd guess they'd probably just disable the Eircode field until launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭medoc

Trouwe Ier wrote: »

D - Dublin
    H - Galway
    K - Co. Dublin (part)
    P - Deep South Cork
    V - Limerick
    X - Waterford

Laois and Offaly are R from what I could find
    Portlaoise R32 and Tullamore R35

Westmeath and Longford are N
    Athlone n37 Mullingar n91 and Longford town N39

a65b2cd wrote: »
    How did you manage to find it? From an auctioneers site or did they give it to you?

searching on myhome.ie basically

• Advertisement

medoc wrote: »
    Laois and Offaly are R from what I could find
    Portlaoise R32 and Tullamore R35

Westmeath and Longford are N
    Athlone n37 Mullingar n91 and Longford town N39

So to date, we know the following:

C -
    D - Dublin
    E -
    F -
    H - Galway
    K - Co. Dublin (part)
    N - Longford and Westmeath
    P - Deep South Cork
    R - Laois and Offaly
    V - Limerick
    W -
    X - Waterford
    Y -

C,. E, F, W and Y are left.

Does anyone have any information on the north-west, north east, south-east, Clare, Tipperary or Kerry?

I'll say it again, Blackrock and presumably Dún Laoghaire, Foxrock etc get "A": now that does sound suspicious to me. It would probably have been better if they hadn't used that letter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement