Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did people jump from the world trade towers?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,309 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

mikemac wrote: »
    That Oliver Stone film was based on two Port Authority officers who survived

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_(film)

Awful film

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Awful film

That the one with Nic Cage? 'Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Was a dire film, I agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

mattfender wrote: »
    how many ppl have said this now...?

I didnt read the whole thread, but as I posted it I thought someone prob got there before me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

brummytom wrote: »
    Saw the Oliver Stone film the other week, was gripping.

Anyone see the documentary last year I think (might have been repeated this year) about a stairwell of people that survived? They were right in the middle of one of the towers. Amazing stuff

I think you're referring to what I just posted a few mins ago - the people in the stairwell were in a stairwell in the JW Marriott hotel and they survived, unless some survived in one of the towers' stairwells also?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I think you're referring to what I just posted a few mins ago - the people in the stairwell were in a stairwell in the JW Marriott hotel and they survived, unless some survived in one of the towers' stairwells also?

Yeah it might have been that one alright. It's a while since I saw the documentary.

EDIT: Nope, just had a bit of a google. It was Stairwell B of the North Tower I was on about. The Documentary was The Miracle of Stairwell B

Acacia wrote: »
    but at least have a read through the thread so you might realise you're not as original and witty as you think.

it is witty, just because more than one person said it, doesnt mean its not original.

have a look at video footage of victims in Palestine with gapping holes all over there bodies from white phosphorus weapons used on them by Israel recently.
    they didnt have the option of jumping anywhere

it is witty, just because more than one person said it, doesnt mean its not original.

have a look at video footage of victims in Palestine with gapping holes all over there bodies from white phosphorus weapons used on them by Israel recently.
    they didnt have the option of jumping anywhere

The joke's not really witty, though, or original since I suspect, like most 'offensive' jokes, it was probably doing the rounds in pubs and what not over the years before it cropped up on this thread. Humor's subjective though, I s'pose.

The treatment of Palestinians by Israel sure is disgusting, I agree. So was the US nuking innocent people in Hiroshima, Hitler gassing millions of Jews, genocides in Africa, Bloody Sunday in Derry. I could go on. History is littered with horrible , violent acts. The cruelty of one act does not lessen the horror of another.

Or, a person who lost a relative on 9/11 has my sympathy as much as a Palestinian person who lost their loved one.

And I wouldn't call jumping from 1400 feet to escape a toxic inferno much of an 'option' anyway. I certainly don't envy the jumpers and the difficult decision they had to make that day.

Acacia wrote: »
    The joke's not really witty, though, or original since I suspect, like most 'offensive' jokes, it was probably doing the rounds in pubs and what not over the years before it cropped up on this thread. Humor's subjective though, I s'pose.

I never heard it before.

I have to take meds every day. nearly every day u will see on tv someone making a joke "did you forget to take your pills today?", as if the person is crazy, which to do them is funny. because crazy people are funny even if its not their fault that they are suffering from a mental illness.

Ive learned to accept this humor even tho its directed at something personal to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

didnt someone mention parachutes in high rise buildings? but there considered a joke,,, but no ladder can reach people up that high,so why are they not fesible? i can imangine the people in the towers were praying to have one,, u put on u jump u pull a cord,, u break ur arms n legs u live,,,,,is that not better than been burned to death or jumping to ur death/ if i was working in a high rise, i would buy my own parachute and have it at my desk 24/7!

• Advertisement

argosy2006 wrote: »
    didnt someone mention parachutes in high rise buildings? but there considered a joke,,, but no ladder can reach people up that high,so why are they not fesible? i can imangine the people in the towers were praying to have one,, u put on u jump u pull a cord,, u break ur arms n legs u live,,,,,is that not better than been burned to death or jumping to ur death/ if i was working in a high rise, i would buy my own parachute and have it at my desk 24/7!

that gadget batman has would be better

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

Base jumpers jump from high rises all the time and live,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dbXvF8lgm0&feature=related scary but given the other options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Base jumpers jump from high rises all the time and live,
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dbXvF8lgm0&feature=related scary but given the other options

I'm guessing its the technique that is the problem or else they just won't let it happen because then people will use it as an argument for why base jumping should be allowed all the time without restictions.

At the moment in many places its illegal I think.

Anyway I think they should have parachutes, why the hell not? Even if someone still dies on impact at least they'll have thought the parachute would save them :-/

I never heard it before.

I have to take meds every day. nearly every day u will see on tv someone making a joke "did you forget to take your pills today?", as if the person is crazy, which to do them is funny. because crazy people are funny even if its not their fault that they are suffering from a mental illness.

Ive learned to accept this humor even tho its directed at something personal to me.

It's nothing to do with me not 'accepting' the humor. I can accept that people find different things funny, but also, people will find different things offensive, including jokes.

That's what I meant by humor being subjective.

In any case, this is going off-topic somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Amazing. Do you have a link? I always wondered did anyone survive the buildings falling
    Anyone see the documentary last year I think (might have been repeated this year) about a stairwell of people that survived? They were right in the middle of one of the towers. Amazing stuff
    Nope, just had a bit of a google. It was Stairwell B of the North Tower I was on about. The Documentary was The Miracle of Stairwell B

Thats the one i was on about as well me_right_one. Though i did hear a thin sliver of the marriott survived as well, in a similar fashion. Crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

thebman wrote: »
    I'm guessing its the technique that is the problem or else they just won't let it happen because then people will use it as an argument for why base jumping should be allowed all the time without restictions.

At the moment in many places its illegal I think.

Anyway I think they should have parachutes, why the hell not? Even if someone still dies on impact at least they'll have thought the parachute would save them :-/

you can or at least you could buy a parachute system specifically desigend for high rises i saw a documentary were they were talking to the manufacturers about it but this was a few years ago dont know if they ever sold one. edit i remember thinking when i was watching it that it was almost identical to a pilots emergency rig so if you really are paranoid about getting stuck above a fire in a building more than a couple of hundred feet up you could probably just buy one of them instead

there is no reason it cant work accept for having the ability to land the thing in a highly populated area would reqcuire alot of skill without breaking anything.........still better than dieing though and if i ever got a job in a skyscraper i would probably consider bringing my rig with me to work

base jumping is not illegal in itself(accept i think in new york) but to base jump you usually have to trespass which is what they do you for. as i said i think new york is the only place that has an actual law against it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

KilOit wrote: »
    Bit of a difference jumping with a parachute and jumping to your death.

Not really in that context. On a parachute jump you're freefalling for some time (anything from 10 secs to a minute or more) before you open the parachute, and skydiving does not normally cause people to pass out and certainly doesn't kill anyone unless the parachute fails. So this idea that people jumping from the twin towers would have passed out or somehow died before they hit the ground is a myth. There's no substance to it at all. (though of course a few might have passed out from pure shock, but I suspect most wouldn't have).

coyle wrote: »
    Yeah the firemen was it? Unbelievable story, half a billion tonnes of burning building came down on top of them and somehow they managed to survive. Mad stuff altogether.

There was a bunch of people (11 I think) who survived the collapse of one of the towers when the section they were in remained intact. That's just outrageous good luck though.

I don't think burning to death was the issue. The thick acrid smoke would have overcome you pretty quickly, so asphyxiation would be the most likely problem. Still not a pleasant way to go.

And jumping from that height with a parachute I'd say you have a good chance. If it opened straight away it would certainly break your fall enough to survive I would think, maybe even with no more than minor injuries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭sherdydan

anyone know what that documentary by the two french brothers is called?

sherdydan wrote: »

man on wire?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

sherdydan wrote: »

I dont know the name, but their surname is Naudet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

As this is the afterhours thread,
    the most offensive thing I can think of is that America has a large population of creationists who disregard scientific fact such as evolution and gravity.

Advertisement