Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did people jump from the world trade towers?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I'd jump. You never know, there could be a truck load of marshmallows parked right where you were about to land.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

If you are ever locked in a room on fire you will understand. The burning sensation in your troat. You eyes in pain. Your lungs getting tighter. The worst feeling in the world. Try holding your breath for 20 seconds after exhailing and you will understand a little

They say it took an adverage of 10 seconds for a body to reach the ground. The condition of the body on the ground ment the only clean up method was a fire hose and shoval.

Its very sad. In fact its fcuked up and beyond comprehension in a way.

Hope to god I never have to face it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Panic and fear.

They might of thought they might be able to somehow climb down and fell as some people did. Some people would of jumped out to avoid being burned alive and some people were just so scared they just ran and jumped. Strange to think that not one of those who perished knew what the hell was happening, all they know is a plane hit their building and they died.

Strange and terrible way to die.

Some of them might not have even known that much.
    It's all about control. Choosing to die was the last piece of control these people had in their lives. Take your death into your own hands or choose to die a horrific death at the hands of others.

yep, very few people get to choose how they will die (pre-meditated suicide and euthanasia aside). It must be a horrific decision to have to take, knowing there is no way out, having to choose your death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

A few photo's I took at Ground Zero - WTC.

I find the first photo, the graffiti pretty moving.

The third photo is just people reading the names of the WTC victims posted on the parimeter fence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I can't comprehend such a situation to force a sane man to jump over 80+ stories. Surely most of them knew they'd die.
    I think if I was in the same situation, I'd have been too chicken. I'm not the best with the ole heights, I'd probably have a panic attack just going out on the window sill.
    Both not nice ways to die...suffocating to death in smoke, burning to death in fire, or jumping to your death from 90+ stories up. Then again, is there many nice ways...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Panic and fear.

They might of thought they might be able to somehow climb down and fell as some people did. Some people would of jumped out to avoid being burned alive and some people were just so scared they just ran and jumped. Strange to think that not one of those who perished knew what the hell was happening, all they know is a plane hit their building and they died.

Strange and terrible way to die.

Absolutely, to think that jumpin from a 100story window was the better option is just incomprehensible.

Actually there is a video of a fella who tries to climb out of the North tower, gets a blast of wind or something and falls to his certain death. I can link to it if people wanna see it, ya dont see the landin or anything, but to try to put yourself in his shoes is just impossible. It must have been the most horrible feeling ever.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I always wondered why any amount, even a fraction of people weren't helped off by helicopters.

I visited the tower with the Restaurant and viewing platform.. and you could get access to the roof.

Ironically, we had to make our way to the lifts around a huge clump of temporary air conditioning equipment, due to the effects of the car park bombing.

I believe the roofs were locked for some reason, definitely the North tower one was anyway, dont know why though.

Actually in general this subject has really interested me, and its something ive done a fair bit of research into, and some of it is just heartbreaking (and i can assure that im not one to care about world tragedies like this very much at all) There's even a picture of what looks like a couple holding hands and falling to their demise.

The iconic falling man picture in the documentary posted above was first thought to be a fella called Norberto Hernandez, and seemingly when the family heard this they hated the thought as he was considered to have committed a mortal sin by committing suicide...incidentally the biggest piece of Christian/Catholic bullsh1t ive ever heard, which really annoyed me.

a) Facing certain death by suffocation/incineration/crushing or
    b) Flying, hoping for a 1 in a billion chance of surviving the fall by some fluke and the feeling of breathing free for one last time, not to mention escaping the fire and flames....mortal sin or no mortal sin, i know which one id pick, though how the people plucked up the courage to throw themselves out a 100-storey building ill never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

See what i always thought was that the primal human instinct is to cling onto life at any cost and by any means possible. To jump out the windows means certain death but if they stayed inside the buliding they might have some chance, no matter how small, of surviving.

I don't know, maybe these people knew for certain that it was the end for them. But imagine how scary it would be looking out those windows, 90+ stories from the ground, such a long way down, seconds away from death. I don't know if I'd be able to jump.

Whatever the story is anyway, i always thought the images of these people jumping to their death were the most horrific ones of this tragedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I remember watching a documentary about 9/11 (think it was the one that the two French brothers made) and in it they said that the first firefighter to die that day was killed by one of the 'jumpers' falling on him!

"For those who jumped, the fall lasted 10 seconds. They struck the ground at just less than 150 miles per hour — not fast enough to cause unconsciousness while falling, but fast enough to ensure instant death on impact. People jumped from all four sides of the north tower. They jumped alone, in pairs and in groups."

"Victims who jumped had a profound influence on the evacuation. Firefighters moved their command post away from the building to avoid them. A falling body killed a firefighter. Fire Commissioner Thomas Van Essen, rushing out of the north tower to meet Mayor Rudy Giuliani, was nearly killed when a body landed 15 feet away."

http://www.usatoday.com/news/sept11/2002-09-02-jumper_x.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

See what i always thought was that the primal human instinct is to cling onto life at any cost and by any means possible. To jump out the windows means certain death but if they stayed inside the buliding they might have some chance, no matter how small, of surviving.

Not true. I read the book called "The Perfect Storm" (which was far better than the movie, BTW) and one guy who came close to drowning said something like

"People always think that you'll always go for life but it's not true. Sometimes, you can just quit"

If you're skin is blistering and cracking from the heat, and the same things are happening to your lungs and your eyes, you can just quit by jumping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Trying to figure our if this thread makes me feel worse than the feature on the Estonia last night. Grim.

Once you personalise a person in an event, thanks in part to the power of the internet.. your heart sinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

See what i always thought was that the primal human instinct is to cling onto life at any cost and by any means possible. To jump out the windows means certain death but if they stayed inside the buliding they might have some chance, no matter how small, of surviving.''

that's pretty naive, pal. have you ever been faced with a blazing inferno?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

that's pretty naive, pal. have you ever been faced with a blazing inferno?

Ehh no. Have you?

As i said in my first post no one could know what it was like inside that building except the people that were there.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

That must tell ya how bad it was inside, if they made the "choice" to jump.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I remember watching that French documentary and the eeriest thing was the sounds of the people landing. The cameras were following the fire crews into the building and from outside you could hear this thump noise every ten seconds or so.

When the towers collapsed I remember looking at the footage wondering if someone had been on the roof if they could somehow 'surf' the collapsing building. I think there was a myth going around for a while that someone actually had. Fairly outlandish thought though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Latchy wrote: »
    The heat, smoke and pure fear , reasons people have mentioned in the thread but also I imagine, quite a few would have being dead with heart attack / shock before they hit the ground

Not likely. I'd expect most of them would have been conscious throughout the fall, it was only 10 seconds or so.

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    come on you mean you don't know - there were actually very few who jumped

It's believed about 200 either jumped or fell.

Kersh wrote: »
    Very moving documentary here on the jumpers, and 1 man's quest to name one of them.

Well worth watching,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnA9FjvLSU&feature=related

That was on tv last week. A very well made documentary.
    I always wondered why any amount, even a fraction of people weren't helped off by helicopters.

The helicopters couldn't get through the thick smoke.

A guy who worked on one of the lower down floors said that he looked out the window and saw people falling, and saw them hit the ground. Apparently the bodies were in a pretty gruesome state after impact, he said they didn't even look human, so not sure how much better off the families would have been in terms of having a 'body' to bury.

We can only assume that conditions inside the building were unbearable if people were making the decision to jump. It must have been an absolutely surreal situation to be in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

magicianz wrote: »
    using the lift.....'hey look an open window!'

I think we should make parachutes mandatory in all high rise building :pac:

What's with the smiley?

Seems a good idea to me. Was my backup plan for living at high rise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

the_syco wrote: »
    IMO, , if you saw them continuing to run, they probably think that they are still running on ground.

A-La Bugs Bunny?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

I suppose because they wanted to avoid the agony of being incinerated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Trying to figure our if this thread makes me feel worse than the feature on the Estonia last night. Grim.

Once you personalise a person in an event, thanks in part to the power of the internet.. your heart sinks.

What was that about? or what TV station was it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

I'd like to think that I would jump... If I'd had time I'd have written a note to my loved ones... Improvised some sort of desperate parachute... And made the leap... If only so that one last "I love you" could make it home. (duct tape two whiteboards together with my message on them and try to glide maybe the message would survive at least) It wouldn't work of course but you have to try something.

I'd like to think that's what I'd have done... but you can't really know how you'd handle it till you're there... I may have just paniced and died, hid and cryed in a bathroom...
    And we have the whole 20:20 hind sight thing going on as well.
    I remember I had the day off ... Watching the second plane hit...F u c k... And then the collapse... If I was in the other tower after the first one went down... Trapped above the fire... I'd have jumped... If I was in the first one to go and thus having not seen the other one go down? I probably would have tried to survive till fire was 'contained'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Kersh wrote: »
    Very moving documentary here on the jumpers, and 1 man's quest to name one of them.

Well worth watching,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnA9FjvLSU&feature=related

interesting, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I couldn't possibly say for sure without having been in the situation,but I think if I was 100% certain I was going to burn to death,
    I would jump so that my family would find my body,and be able to grieve and have a funeral.
    I know that my mum would never be able to move on,if my body was never found.

Would you actually be thinking of this in that situation though? Seems like a very practical thought instead of "no dear god I'm going to die!"

It's a really, really horrible situation to imagine. I can only hope I'm never faced with anything like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

no1 will ever know but if i was faced by a wall of fire and a jump id probably take the jump

for someone who has no idea what freefall is like would be even more likely to take the jump as they assume it overwhelms you and you dont know what is going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id rather a moment of euphoria over 5 minutes of burning any time

yeh maybe im weak, but im damned if im going out in pain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Piste wrote: »
    Would you actually be thinking of this in that situation though? Seems like a very practical thought instead of "no dear god I'm going to die!"

It's a really, really horrible situation to imagine. I can only hope I'm never faced with anything like it.
    I don't know,that's why I said that I couldn't possibly say for sure without being in the situation. It's the first thing I thought of watching the news all them years ago. When I heard that people were jumping from the building I cried,but even though I was only 14, I thought that's what I would do too,and my main reason for thinking this was so that my family would have my body to bury.(of course I couldn't even begin to imagine how terrifying the smoke,flames and lack of oxygen would be.)

I know it seems like a very odd practical thing to think of,just the way my mind works.
    It may have something to with the fact that my mum's uncle died at sea,and his body was never found. He died before I was born,but I remember my mum often talking about him,and how awful it was. I think that would have come into my head.(Even though realistically,even some of the people who jumped sadly may still have never been found under debris/or identified)

That being said,there's every chance I could have completely frozen in terror,and gone down with the building,I have no way of knowing,and hopefully will never have to face that decision.

I find just thinking of the situation those poor people were put in,absolutely terrifying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

the mind is hardwired to do certain things i think

if faced with inevitable burning, or your endorphin filled flight to the ground (where you sufficate before you splat), your brain is gonna pick flying any day

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

If you are ever locked in a room on fire you will understand. The burning sensation in your troat. You eyes in pain. Your lungs getting tighter. The worst feeling in the world. Try holding your breath for 20 seconds after exhailing and you will understand a little

They say it took an adverage of 10 seconds for a body to reach the ground. The condition of the body on the ground ment the only clean up method was a fire hose and shoval.

Its very sad. In fact its fcuked up and beyond comprehension in a way.

Hope to god I never have to face it.
    I lived on the third floor of a building once and in the middle of the night we heard calls of FIRE FIRE and it turns out there is a fire in next doors maisonette.
    We called the fire brigade as I am sure did many other neighbours. Myself and the girlfriend went into the hallway to see if we could do anything.
    The front door was not locked or even latched (probably indicative of the residents but thats not important here). We nudged the door open a little and it was obvious that no one could enter without breathing apparatus. It was pitch black with acrid smoke. We realised that all we could do is wait and show the firemen the correct door. We did this and they told us to get back into our flat which we did. On this occasion everyone was okay.
    But if anyone thinks they can be super heroes in a fire situation forget it. Hopefully the fire brigade can make it on time.

With regard to the twin towers I believe the extreme heat and smoke would cause a person to seek whatever relief they can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

Liam Gallagher saw it all coming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnyMxcTk_UA

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Helix wrote: »
    (where you sufficate before you splat)

You wouldn't suffocate :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭pipeliner

right they say suicide is a mortal sin and you wont get into heaven if u do it. In this situation, where you were going to die anyway would it count as suicide if you jumped?

If it did i would be straight to the appeals commission and complain my way into heaven

Bear in mind that this is hypothetical and on this occasion there is such a thing as god/heaven/hell

Advertisement