Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did people jump from the world trade towers?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Why did people jump from the world trade towers?

To get to the other side.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

We had a friend who worked for cantor fitzgerald in the north tower, she along with all their staff died that day, think the figure was 654, apparently most of them died instantly when the plane hit.
    None of her remains were ever found.
    It must have been hell on earth to make people jump that day.
    May they rest in peace:(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Panic and fear.

They might of thought they might be able to somehow climb down and fell as some people did. Some people would of jumped out to avoid being burned alive and some people were just so scared they just ran and jumped. Strange to think that not one of those who perished knew what the hell was happening, all they know is a plane hit their building and they died.

Strange and terrible way to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭BornToKill

Gravity has alot to answer for

It's time for the long anticipated 'War on Gravity'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

Very moving documentary here on the jumpers, and 1 man's quest to name one of them.

Well worth watching,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXnA9FjvLSU&feature=related

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

The people who jumped were the real extreme sports junkies, can you imagine.......its your last day on the planet, you know your time is near, you look to your buddy........Dude, a window..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    come on you mean you don't know - there were actually very few who jumped - they were the ones who set off the explosions or made sure the explosions were ready to go once the go ahead was given to drop both buildings. go to www.jimcorr.com and look at the 9/11 video - its 1.5hrs long but makes a lot of sense

I hope you're ripping the piss...

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

'Strange to think that not one of those who perished knew what the hell was happening, all they know is a plane hit their building and they died.'

you know, i'm not being sarcastic - i never even considered that before...how ****ed up is that...

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

dlofnep wrote: »
    Deep toxic black smoke, unbearable heat, flames, scared shítless and full of adrenaline
    Thought comes into their head: I see light! A way out, a way out, a waaaaaaayyyyyyy ooooouuuuutttt.

Fire plus lack of oxygen to the head can make people do funny things.

That, and some of them may have always wanted to skydive.

IMO, , if you saw them continuing to run, they probably think that they are still running on ground. If you saw people with their arms out-stretched, they're skydiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

mrgaa1 wrote: »
    come on you mean you don't know - there were actually very few who jumped - they were the ones who set off the explosions or made sure the explosions were ready to go once the go ahead was given to drop both buildings. go to www.jimcorr.com and look at the 9/11 video - its 1.5hrs long but makes a lot of sense

lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

They forgot their bungee cords that day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

'Strange to think that not one of those who perished knew what the hell was happening, all they know is a plane hit their building and they died.'

you know, i'm not being sarcastic - i never even considered that before...how ****ed up is that...
    Yet the very thought that would have being going through their heads besides getting out of the buildings , would have being '' what the F has happened ? what's going on ? Many will have being to confused and in shock to even have time to think about anything but their familys ...god love them all

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I always wondered why any amount, even a fraction of people weren't helped off by helicopters.

I visited the tower with the Restaurant and viewing platform.. and you could get access to the roof.

Ironically, we had to make our way to the lifts around a huge clump of temporary air conditioning equipment, due to the effects of the car park bombing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

invisible bungee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 blipp

I read an excellent book about it a few years ago - excellent in terms of being well-written and researched not in terms of entertainment value.

I remember that the book either suggested or knew for a fact (useless aren't I - but it was a few years ago) that the jumping wasn't jumping at all. People were clambering for the windows for air and people were being pushed out by the crowds. Which is worse than jumping really. Either way, those pictures will stay with me for many years yet. RIP to them all.

Amalgam wrote: »
    I always wondered why any amount, even a fraction of people weren't helped off by helicopters.

I visited the tower with the Restaurant and viewing platform.. and you could get access to the roof.

Ironically, we had to make our way to the lifts around a huge clump of temporary air conditioning equipment, due to the effects of the car park bombing.

can't imagine it'd be two safe to fly near never mind land on two towering infernos.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭shampoosuicide

can't imagine it'd be two safe to fly near never mind land on two towering infernos.

no safer than sending firemen up staircases to certain death?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

Amalgam wrote: »

Read somewhere there was too much smoke to get helicopters to land. And imagine all the people trying to even scramble to get onto one if there was one!

What a horrible way to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

It's all about control. Choosing to die was the last piece of control these people had in their lives. Take your death into your own hands or choose to die a horrific death at the hands of others.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,301 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Because they were playing Westside over the intercom.

• Advertisement

no safer than sending firemen up staircases to certain death?

i'd say sending firemen into a burning building has a lot less risk than trying to fly a helicopter through billowing smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭Maddison

Ehmmmm Im going to go for the option that they jumped & opted for the quicker death rather than waiting to either be burned alive/crushed by the building falling on top of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Diairist

the crowds — I among them — looked up at the burning building, saw girl after girl appear at the reddened windows, pause for a terrified moment, and then leap to the pavement below, to land as mangled, bloody pulp. This went on for what seemed a ghastly eternity. Occasionally a girl who had hesitated too long was licked by pursuing flames and, screaming with clothing and hair ablaze, plunged like a living torch to the street. Life nets held by the firemen were torn by the impact of the falling bodies.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shirtwaist_Factory_fire

yuck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Soul Stretcher

Hellish scenario

I'd imagine/guess very few jumped to escape being burned... coz would they have not been overcome by smoke/fumes if the flames were that close ??

Also jumping equals certain death.... while staying inside the building gives a glimmer of hope of rescue - firemen on the way etc...

I think the idea about there being crowds at the window and people being pushed out accidentally is viable...

Just guessing tho... God rest them all...

To those taking the piss.... I don't know how you can make fun of innocent people (like you and me) who found themselves in that situation... I personally find your "jokes" sickening...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I couldn't possibly say for sure without having been in the situation,but I think if I was 100% certain I was going to burn to death,
    I would jump so that my family would find my body,and be able to grieve and have a funeral.
    I know that my mum would never be able to move on,if my body was never found.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Hellish scenario

I'd imagine/guess very few jumped to escape being burned... coz would they have not been overcome by smoke/fumes if the flames were that close ??

Also jumping equals certain death.... while staying inside the building gives a glimmer of hope of rescue - firemen on the way etc...

I think the idea about there being crowds at the window and people being pushed out accidentally is viable...

Just guessing tho... God rest them all...

To those taking the piss.... I don't know how you can make fun of innocent people (like you and me) who found themselves in that situation... I personally find your "jokes" sickening...
    Seems to be part and parcel in after hours. Some real sicko's out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 js1984

pure primal fear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Sorry if this is a little insensitive, but its something I've always wondered.
    Why did people jump out the windows of the world trade centres after they had been hit?

They surely knew they couldnt survive such a drop.
    Was it because they didn't want to be burned to death? Was it the panic and they just couldn't handle it?

It must take some courage to actually jump and face your death like that. I guess we could never know what was going through the minds of those people at the time. Its just something I've always wondered about.....

They probably thought the odds of surviving a fall like that were better than the odds of a plane crashing into a goddam building

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Diairist wrote: »
    the crowds — I among them — looked up at the burning building, saw girl after girl appear at the reddened windows, pause for a terrified moment, and then leap to the pavement below, to land as mangled, bloody pulp. This went on for what seemed a ghastly eternity. Occasionally a girl who had hesitated too long was licked by pursuing flames and, screaming with clothing and hair ablaze, plunged like a living torch to the street. Life nets held by the firemen were torn by the impact of the falling bodies.

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle_Shirtwaist_Factory_fire

yuck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Landing a helicopter would have been impossible,too much smoke and the doors to the roof where locked anyway.

I'am sure the people who jumped(around 100 I think) most likely tried to escape through the stairs but gave up.I wouldent fancy suffocating slowly.

Advertisement