Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why did people jump from the world trade towers?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

antodeco wrote: »
    Were they in seine?

/gets coat

Intelligent jokes are not allowed in afterhours.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

"Actually there is a video of a fella who tries to climb out of the North tower, gets a blast of wind or something and falls to his certain death. I can link to it if people wanna see it, ya dont see the landin or anything, but to try to put yourself in his shoes is just impossible. It must have been the most horrible feeling ever."

Hey Coyle could you please post link for this. Dreadfully sad but strangely facinating

I have to agree, something draws me too it alright. I suppose its the human side of an otherwise faceless tragedy (and by that i mean that most pictures and videos ya see are just of the buildings collapsing)

Here's the link...not for the very sensitive, but it doesnt have any of the landing or anything of a gory nature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmNCslvCFA

I agree with those who say you wouldnt die during the fall, sure itd freak ya out but its only ten seconds or thereabouts. I really dont think there was much left either, they identified the falling man with dna and dental, not from anything physical.

Regarding the family of Norberto Hernandes, who was first thought to be "the falling man", it really sickened me the way they were goin on in the documentary...jaysus christ be burned alive, or jump out a 100 storey building...does the very fact that people jumped not tell them something about the conditions on the inside? Religious claptrap at its very worst.

I must say, i really see jumping as the heroic thing to do, its either sit there and burn alive, or pluck up the courage (and fcuk knows itd take a lot of courage to jump from a 90+ story building) to die on your own terms and give one final two fingers to whoever perpetrated the attack.

Not much cowardly about that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

To make one final choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

"Why did people jump from the world trade towers?"

To get to the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

SWANTON BOMB!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

SWANTON BOMB!

<_<

>_>

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

mattfender wrote: »
    apparently they were forbidden to land or something

Apparently they couldn't land even if they wanted to as the smoke made it impossible to see anything..
    I've always wondered about this. I mean 10 seconds to hit the ground. Imagine what it'd feel like while falling. :eek:

Hard to know - but one things for sure it'd be far better than burning.
    nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    would hitting the ground from that height be sore?

I wondered about that one too, i'd hope for their sake no, but the pain if any wouldn't last for more than a split second. dead on impact.

coyle wrote: »

Here's the link...not for the very sensitive, but it doesnt have any of the landing or anything of a gory nature:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFmNCslvCFA

Holy F**k, man i just watched your link, Imagine this poor fella, so badly wanting to survive that he tries to climb down the building.. a few seconds going through his mind... 'yes, yes i might just make it', imagine how the poor chap felt when he slipped..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mattfender

"Why did people jump from the world trade towers?"

To get to the other side?

how many ppl have said this now...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Not meaning to be crude or trivialise the whole thing but I'd think that in that situation I'd jump. Bit of a buzz (like a skydive) and instant death rather than slow, agonising death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Even though to us it was onlt 10 seconds and a split second of pain, do you think maybe time sort of slowed for them and in those 10 seconds they had time to both understand and fear the impending death? Did the pain feel like minutes as about to a split second?

This thread is so horrible I had a dream about a person on fire last night :(

people who are in car accidents and stuff get a feeling like time slows down.

Its just best not to think about it that stuff just messes up your head

Piste wrote: »
    Even though to us it was onlt 10 seconds and a split second of pain, do you think maybe time sort of slowed for them and in those 10 seconds they had time to both understand and fear the impending death? Did the pain feel like minutes as about to a split second?

This thread is so horrible I had a dream about a person on fire last night :(

I'm sure it felt like an eternity for them - but nobody really knows. I'd hope for their sake it was quick and painless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

They knew they wouldn't survive so basically to put them out of their misery I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

See what i always thought was that the primal human instinct is to cling onto life at any cost and by any means possible. To jump out the windows means certain death but if they stayed inside the buliding they might have some chance, no matter how small, of surviving.

No, human instinct is to have the least amount of pain. This is how the mechanism for survival works. Courage is the act of conciously facing pain despite your bodys' objections to doing so.

Anyway, you have it the wrong way round. The tiny chance of surviving the fall was way better than the chances of survivng the fire or the wait to be rescued. IMO these people did take the option to cling to life. How desparate their situation must have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Piste wrote: »
    Even though to us it was onlt 10 seconds and a split second of pain, do you think maybe time sort of slowed for them and in those 10 seconds they had time to both understand and fear the impending death? Did the pain feel like minutes as about to a split second?(

With my first skydive I have almost no memory of the free fall at all. My mind was just completely over whelmed, I did what I was trained to do but outside of that I wasn't functioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

My fear of heights is not falling but giving in to the will to jump, it just feels so tempting.

DamoDLK wrote: »
    Holy F**k, man i just watched your link, Imagine this poor fella, so badly wanting to survive that he tries to climb down the building.. a few seconds going through his mind... 'yes, yes i might just make it', imagine how the poor chap felt when he slipped..

I know yeah, it must have been absolutely awful, but i cant even comprehend it. To make one last stab at life and have it taken away in such a cruel way. Horrendous.

No, human instinct is to have the least amount of pain. This is how the mechanism for survival works. Courage is the act of conciously facing pain despite your bodys' objections to doing so.

Anyway, you have it the wrong way round. The tiny chance of surviving the fall was way better than the chances of survivng the fire or the wait to be rescued. IMO these people did take the option to cling to life. How desparate their situation must have been.

I totally agree, regardless of whether they know the building would collapse (doubtful), burning alive must have been a certainty if they resorted to jumping.

When i first started lookin into all this, i was really lookin for any sort of miraculous survival of the fall, as opposed to people who stayed in the building, cos i thought anyone who stayed in was a gonner, and that a 1 in a billion freak could have saved someone who jumped. Sadly not, or ive not found anything to indicate that anyone survived it, but check out this lady:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vesna_Vulović

Another link, its a 999 call from inside the tower, and the ending is definitely not for the faint of heart:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUhGVpP8hCw

Goddamn it, if i was in that position, id like to think id take the jump, burning alive, or in his case being crushed to death is just too horrible a way to die, and they really must have been on the verge of being overcome with the fire if jumping was the better option.

To feel cold air on your face, and take one last breath of fresh air must have been paradise after being trapped inside that inferno, even knowing how it would all end up.

All in all, an absolute nightmare scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

This thread is making me feel sick. How many people have posted the same crap "to get to the other side?" joke by now? Now, I know ''it's AH'' and as such you have irrefutable justification for posting insensitive jokes :rolleyes: but at least have a read through the thread so you might realise you're not as original and witty as you think.

Anyway, I have a feeling I would jump if I was in that postion too. I've always been afraid/ wary of fire, and I imagine I'd take jumping to my death over burning alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Acacia wrote: »
    This thread is making me feel sick. How many people have posted the same crap "to get to the other side?" joke by now? Now, I know ''it's AH'' and as such you have irrefutable justification for posting insensitive jokes :rolleyes: but at least have a read through the thread so you might realise you're not as original and witty as you think.

Anyway, I have a feeling I would jump if I was in that postion too. I've always been afraid/ wary of fire, and I imagine I'd take jumping to my death over burning alive.

Ehh, dont read it/Unsubscribe from it! You cannot legislate for the sick personalities that exist in the world. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Ehh, dont read it/Unsubscribe from it! You cannot legislate for the sick personalities that exist in the world. :)

No need to not read the thread or unsubscribe. I admit I have a morbid interest in 9/11 and other such tragic events, which is why I read the thread in the first place.

It's not really the sick jokes that are the problem* as much as how the same one was repeated three times. Which seems to me like the posters just saw the thread title, didn't read through the thread and just typed out the first 'shocking' joke that came to mind. Which reeks of thanks-whoring to me.

Just something that irked me somewhat.:)

* and you can't ever argue against those who use "but this is AH!" to defend sick jokes, because, y'know, it's AH and that makes it okay.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Tenth page and no one has stated the obvious.
    The lifts were broke.

Another link, its a 999 call from inside the tower, and the ending is definitely not for the faint of heart:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUhGVpP8hCw

Goddamn it, if i was in that position, id like to think id take the jump, burning alive, or in his case being crushed to death is just too horrible a way to die, and they really must have been on the verge of being overcome with the fire if jumping was the better option.

All in all, an absolute nightmare scenario.

Theres another documentary on youtube where some guys actually survived the collapse inside

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭gerk86

you would pass out from smoke inhalation before the flames got to you. Personally I think I would have gone inside and taken several lungfuls of that black toxic smoke. It would be lights out in seconds...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Shoop

gerk86 wrote: »
    you would pass out from smoke inhalation before the flames got to you. Personally I think I would have gone inside and taken several lungfuls of that black toxic smoke. It would be lights out in seconds...

Eh.....thats easier said than done. I'm sure the stuff would have burned and stung your face/mouth/lungs SO much that it's really impossible to comprehend while just sitting here.

mattfender wrote: »
    Theres another documentary on youtube where some guys actually survived the collapse inside

Yeah the firemen was it? Unbelievable story, half a billion tonnes of burning building came down on top of them and somehow they managed to survive. Mad stuff altogether.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Yeah the firemen was it? Unbelievable story, half a billion tonnes of burning building came down on top of them and somehow they managed to survive. Mad stuff altogether.

Amazing. Do you have a link? I always wondered did anyone survive the buildings falling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

That Oliver Stone film was based on two Port Authority officers who survived

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Trade_Center_(film)

The film World Trade Center retells the story of McLoughlin (played by Nicolas Cage) and William Jimeno. The two Port Authority police officers were rescued after being trapped in the rubble at Ground Zero. Jimeno was pulled out after 13 hours; McLoughlin came out after 22 hours.

McLoughlin led a team of officers, including Jimeno, who were in between the two towers on the main concourse when the South Tower collapsed. The five ran toward a nearby freight elevator, and were buried in the ensuing collapse of the concourse. Officers Antonio Rodrigues and Chris Amoroso were killed immediately. McLoughlin, Jimeno and a third officer, Dominick Pezzulo, were trapped but alive. The freight elevator withstood the devastation, creating breathing room that saved their lives. Pezzulo, who was the only one not pinned, immediately managed to free himself and tried to free Jimeno, but the subsequent collapse of the North Tower caused shifting and additional debris falling through, and he was mortally wounded and eventually died minutes after the collapse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

There was a group of people who survived in a section of the JW Marriott hotel as well and both towers collapsed on top of the hotel. They just happened to be in the part of the hotel that had been reinforced after a bomb went off a few years previously in the WTC carpark I think?? They had a documentary on about it there a few weeks ago on Discovery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Saw the Oliver Stone film the other week, was gripping.

Anyone see the documentary last year I think (might have been repeated this year) about a stairwell of people that survived? They were right in the middle of one of the towers. Amazing stuff

Advertisement