Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Packers 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,755 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Thats a great win, it was always going to be a close game, there is too much history there and the Bears have a lot of pride at home. That shows true quality to grind out a win there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

No way it should have been as close, 38-14 would not have flattered the 'pack

'D' saved them.... need to put teams to the sword when they have the chance.

Not punching it in from the 20 on a full set of downs as often as they should.

still good win and sets them up for a wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Packers are close now. 10 wins is usually the bar for the playoffs, win against Pittsburgh and they're in (far from easy).

I think the Packers will be able to beat the Seahawks and the Cardinals anyway.

10-6, 11-5 record is a job well done on the season if they can manage it.

ooooh...... 'Pack fans not happy with Mason Crosby... could Matt Stover be kicking in Lambeau soon??

ooooh...... 'Pack fans not happy with Mason Crosby... could Matt Stover be kicking in Lambeau soon??

Crosby has been unreliable since arriving. He's let us down in late game situations time after time. There's only so much faith you can put in a kicker.

Stover could do a job, just try a couple of guys out for it.

• Advertisement

Just heard Stover is tied to the Colts.

Ok let's hope Mason gets his head on for the big ones.

Gotta get rid of that slice.;)

Red Zone conversion is an issue.

Red Zone conversion is an issue.

It wasn't too impressive today at all. For the season we aren't that bad, but there's been times we've looked flat there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Very nice result although a pretty average performance but the fact we can get a win away to our biggest rivals despite this is pretty big.

Dallas losing is a great result. It's a near lock that we have a wild card now. If Dallas lose to the Saints then we just need 1 victory out of 3 to mathematically guarantee it.

Hopefully we keep momentum and wrap it up at Heinz field. Nobody will want to play us at the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

cooker3 wrote: »
    If Dallas lose to the Saints then we just need 1 victory out of 3 to mathematically guarantee it.
    After watching Saturday's Charger v Cowboy game, Dallas is not ready to beat the undefeated Saints on their own turf.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

eagles and Giants are gonna battle it out with the packeres schedule we'll easily wrap up the wildcard slot :-D

• Advertisement

jaysus.... great game against the Steelers, should have won it .

penalties and kicker lost it for the Pack'.

jaysus Steelers pinned back on their own 13 ,one time out 6 pts down and they make it.!!!!!!

Big Ben had faaaaaar too much time on the last series and in fairness receivers made some great plays.

A Crosby FG from 34 would have iced it for the pack.

"My Goodness."... "WOW" as the announcers kept saying.

"FCUK" the auld Flutther was saying!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Heartbreaking result really.

I checked on the NFL wap site before I went to sleep

36 GB - PT 30 4th Q 00:03

3 seconds left..... no problem........ how little I know!

Keeps the steelers season alive (for now)

Pass coverage was horrific at times especially from Bush and Bell. It was a game we didn't "have to" win, so it's not an issue.

Mason Crosby - get a new job for christ sake!

On the last series it wasn't the pass coverage was the problem,Big Ben had all fcuking day to wind up and make the play.

Giving up big big plays in pressure situations is a Packer failing.....

4th and 26 in Philly..... don't forget that one......:mad:

4th and 26 in Philly..... don't forget that one......:mad:
    Ugh, don't remind me of that. (Reasonable chance we can go for revenge and get Phili in wildcard round)

Anyway pretty gutted obviously. You could just sense how that last drive went, converting 4th down, 3rd and 19 that it was going to happen but losing is not the end of the world. If we are lose then I'd rather it to an AFC team for the tie-break and we still have control of our own destiny. Next week at home to the Seahawks, couldn't have a more ideal game.

We need to sort out the kicking situation, Crosby is nearly as bad as folk at the moment. It cost us this this game ultimately. I wasn't too impressed with the punting either.

Looking at the play-off picture. If we assume that we beat the Seahawks next week and lose to Arizona and Dallas and the Giants win out then I think we would lose out to Giants on strength of victory if my rough calculations are correct. Now a lot of if and buts in that equation but we just need to be careful. Alternatively just hope the Redskins, Carolina or ironically Minnesota in week 17 do us a favour.

The Packers are going to the Playoffs! It should be an interesting final week of the regular season against the Cardinals, both will be looking ahead to the same fixture the next week. Bizarre situation.

Get in.
    That couldn't have worked out any better. We are likely to be fifth seed now.
    I have no real preference. I think both Arizona or Phili are going to be tough but I am not scared of anyone. I think we have what it takes to do a Pittsburgh or Giantsesque run to the Superbowl.
    Bring on January :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Interesting that the Packers could end the season ranked #2 for D and #1 against the run! At the start of the year, I was expecting an offensive firestorm and, to be fair, they haven't been half bad, but the big improvement has been on defence, especially the front 7.

They are a match for anyone left, and I'm really optimistic about the play-offs and the future.

I hold up may hand and say that around week 6, I was not happy with the OL.

Is it a coincidence that as soon as Mark Tauscher plugged into RT that things stabilised.That and Chad Clifton getting bact to full fitness.

D line is a no name set up but Jolly Pickett Jenkins and BJ Raji have come on great in the second half of the season... linebackers are top class as is the secondary. Good team all round.

Hope Sundays game doesnt rest on a 43 yarder from the left hash:eek::D

Well done Pack.

It was a great display last night alright.

Shame about the Steelers & Buccs games blemishing our record this season a bit.

beware the Pack whoever gets us in the Playoffs!

• Advertisement

Well it's nearly time. With the cowboys winning it means we are playing the Saints in divisional round and can't host the NFC championship game :pac:

I think this could be a shoot-out and for the neutral should be an excellent match to watch.

Interestingly, we are slight favorites on Betfair and a lot of pundits are backing us to win.

I am confident we could do the job, but Arizona are tough and if they turn it on like they did last post-season then it will be very tough.

This is what it's about. Go pack Go!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭aCA

I feel sick, that was cruel.

Was sure Packers win was in the bank once that field goal was missed.

Reminds me of Favre throwing the interception v Giants a few seasons back. Playing catchup all night, scraping into ot. But that defence didn't really have a superbowl look about it tonight.

I don't know whether it was an unstoppable Arizona offense or a shocking packers defense, but its a shame that all the progress made in the 2nd half of the season didn't follow through to last night.

I'm still proud of our packers though.
    They never stopped fighting.

Shame there is such a long post-season!

Terrific game.....Pack D? where was it last night.. Nobody even laid a glove on Warner. Some fantastic plays and even the end was bizzarre.

Colledge penalty bunched us, got backed into a hole and put the pressure on Rodgers to get a first down as to turn the ball over seemed a certain score.

jaysus...... frustrating:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Heartbroken!!!

What a fantastic game was wild!!!

The helmet to helmet call would have offset the holding call and...... blah blah.. no point moaning about it..

Really thought Jennings was gonna make that catch, would have been 7secs into OT I thought Rodgers might go for it with the first throw of OT to catch AZ off guard again... Clever calling with the onside kick cnt believe AZ didnt see it coming.

All in all great prospects for the future should be excitign few years.

I just watched the highlights on NFL.com. It's amazing how many plays were made in the game. I forgot half of them as I was so into it live.

So proud of the boys on that comeback. So much heart, the offence was unbelievable in the 2nd half. I literally never once doubted that we would score on every drive.

Unfortunately I thought the same of Arizona. It has to be said the defence let us down. So so many missed tackles and blown coverages. It felt like we replaced our normal defence with last years version. Such a shame considering how well they have played throughout. Hell, even Mason and the special teams made a play with the onside kick.

A few other disappointments is of course our start. I guess our youth and inexperience showed there as we didn't handle the surge at all. You just can't give up 14 points on the road in a play-off game like that and expect to win. I also question our clock management. We got that 1st and goal on the 1 yard line but because we let the clock run so much couldn't take advantage of it. That was 4 points we left on the field.

I also think we need to look back at the start of the season. I don't think there is any reason we couldn't have been number 1 or 2 seed, had a bye week, or even just a home game this weekend. I think our good pre-season almost hindered us as we expected to win and Aaron kept throwing the hero passes down the field way too much and it didn't work.

Still, I don't want to be totally negative and in fact I think our future is really positive. If we can keep the current crop of players we are in very good shape. We have the youngest team in the league. We managed to do something so few teams do and that is replace a legendary HOF QB straightaway. Dom Capers will be in his 2nd season and the defence will be much more settled as we will be used to the 3-4. One positive about losing here is we are able to acquire plays through free agency; we would have been unable to do that without trading 1 of our current players if we got to the divisional round.

So long term is great but it is going to take a while to recover from that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

think i had a sex dream about Aaron Rodgers last night because of that perfomance

still gutted with the result and im not even a packers fan

great game of ball, great advert for the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Gerty

So disappointing, but still terrific match. In the first half i felt like every time AZ got the ball they were going to score. Defense was non-existent asides woodson getting the hand in.

2nd half they both looked as likely to score. I practically didn't celebrate with our TD at the end of the fourth because it was very obvious they were at least going to get a chance to kick for the win anyway.

Great match.

• Advertisement

OK another Packer season finishes, what have we got to look back on.

Good season, some great games and something to anticipate next season.

Offense

Qb is solid... will benefit from the experience.... needs to close out a tight game or two.
    O/Line.. question marks on the RT and LT due age injury.. otherwise not bad.
    RB.. not bad
    FB need a break out guy. Kuhn may be good in the future
    TE.. fcuking awesome dude in Jermichael Finley... in the Chmura mould
    Wrs Driver getting on but some other good ones there.

Defense

Good front three... Raji will benefit from the season... Johnny Jolly excellent.

Good linebackers...Campman may be surplus next season.

Good secondary if aging.

Special teams

Kicker... a bit flaky,but I would give him time

Punter.. average.

Returners seems a bit below the average production,and very few stand out returns.

biggest problem this season was giving up big plays and not pressurising the opp QB enough.

Kurt Warner was never even touched in that play off game.

Likewise Ben R of the Steelers was untouched in that game.

Let's hear your opinions:D

Advertisement