Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 - 2010 NHL Season Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭StevoTG

If Backstrom and Ovechkin are in form in the play-offs then I fancy the Caps for the cup.

Was reading a bit about Jaromir Jagr, who is apparently interested in returning to the NHL for the the 2010-11 season.. he'll be 38 by then, but as long as his wage demands aren't big then there would have to be teams who'd be happy to have him!

My fondest memories from starting to watch the NHL revolve around Jagr and Shanahan so I'd absolutely love to see Jagr back!

Saw Montreal @ Boston the other night, a shootout loss for the Bruins after a 2-2 draw. Boston were 2-0 up and conceeded twice in 39 seconds. They're just the perfect example of a team in freefall, everything goes wrong!
    Toronto is four or five seasons away from competing if everything goes right with this plan.

Do you think they'll stick with Burke for four more years without the play-offs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

StevoTG wrote: »

Saw Montreal @ Boston the other night, a shootout loss for the Bruins after a 2-2 draw. Boston were 2-0 up and conceeded twice in 39 seconds. They're just the perfect example of a team in freefall, everything goes wrong!

After Buffalo's loss at home to Carolina last night, I'd be worried they are going the same direction as the Bruins. The last 3 games they have somehow managed to find a way to lose!

Senators 0-5 Leafs :eek: Great team performance! (extra credit to Giguere though)
    Wouldn't begrudge them the win after Burke lost his son Brendan in a car accident on Friday. The win is likely of little significance to him today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Do you think they'll stick with Burke for four more years without the play-offs?

Four more years without the playoffs .....no.

They are going to have to show an improvement every season going forward.

I would expect them to make the playoffs at some point as a lower seed, but wouldn't expect them to go far in the playoffs.

They are a long way from becoming contenders.

Headshots are the post-Olympics buzz word.

Wisniewski just bout himself eight games for his blatant intent to injure Brent Seabrook on a boarding, charging, roughing, interference headshot the other night.

• Advertisement

I've only seen two games since the olympics. I did see Ovechkin's boarding hit/shove that got him a ban though. Caught Vancouver's OT loss to the Red Wings. Was rooting for Vancouver but I'd like to see both teams in the playoffs.

I've only seen two games since the olympics. I did see Ovechkin's boarding hit/shove that got him a ban though. Caught Vancouver's OT loss to the Red Wings. Was rooting for Vancouver but I'd like to see both teams in the playoffs.

Ovechkin got two games and Campbell may not play another game this year.

It's time the NHL added on the suspension after the injured player returns to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 elprez

Hi Guys
    Does anyone out there know where I could get my hands on a washington caps jersey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

Junior #8 wrote: »
    SO here we go again.......
    I'll tell yas now-
    East
    1.Philidelphia - Good signings always a good team
    2.Washington - In the cup shake-up if Ovie stays fit
    3.Boston - Not as good a season, but lessons learned
    4.Pittsburgh - Cup winners not enough depth to win division
    5.New Jersey - Never far away, rarely miss playoffs but weakened
    6.New York Rangers - Decent signings
    7.Montreal - Finally might get it together
    8.???? Toronto/buffalo/florida (ill make my mind up closer to season start)
    Dark Horse for Cup- NYR

West
    1.Detroit - Always top
    2.San José - Solid group but need to keep Thornton fit
    3.Calgary - Iginla leads the way
    4.Chicago - Won't top detroit in Central young and aspiring team
    5.Vancouver - Nice to resign Sedins, decent season with Luongo again
    6.Anaheim - Decent team with Getzlaf - Perry - Ryan
    7.Dallas - Get Turco over last year and should have decent run
    8. ????? Columbus/L.A./Edmonton (same as east)
    Dark Horse for Cup - Vancouver

A long time ago I guessed these results in the NHL Reg season, I know they pretty much decide themselves by common sense...but ive done fairly well.
    My two mistakes were anaheim and NYR, the ducks cant get solid goaltending, and the rags just plain suck....

Caps
    Pens
    Sabres
    Devils
    Sens
    Flyers
    Habs
    Bruins
    (ATL)-2
    (NYR)-4

Sharks
    Hawks
    Nuks
    Coyotes
    Preds
    Wings
    Kings
    Avs
    (CGY)-4

Anyone any idea where nashville came from?

Who do you think will surprise us in the first rd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

elprez wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Does anyone out there know where I could get my hands on a washington caps jersey?
    Oh and im pretty sure you can get them at the ice dome, if they have any left, ill find out tomorrow for ya

• Advertisement

Saw NYR beat the Islanders 4-3 last night. It was great seeing them play without Avery, I could actually will them to win without feeling conflicted!

I'd like to see the Rangers and the Bruins in the play-offs but it's probably one or the other. The Rangers have a decent enough run-in but the Bruins are in position.

Montreal (7th - 82 pts) host Carolina next while the Flyers (6th - 82pts) go to the Islanders, you'd fancy both of them to win. Boston host Florida (8th - 82 pts) host Florida tonight. New York have a night off, and are 4 points off the playoffs.

Anyone fancy Rangers' chances at all? I don't really but I guess they'll be hoping one of the three teams will slip up.

Who do you think will surprise us in the first rd?

I guess the Red Wings are dangerous, and will be one of the lower ranked teams.

Anyone any idea where nashville came from?

Nashville is probably the best coached team in the NHL. Barry Trotz does not get enough credit for the job that he does in Musictown.

Strong overall physical team D with excellent goaltending. Pekka Rinne has really come into his own. They are strong 5 on 5 but have really poor special teams play.

With Calgary eliminating themselves last night with a loss to San Jose, all of the Western Conference teams have been decided. The seeds are still open with teams jockeying for postion with 2-3 games left in the season.

The Eastern Conference is in a similar situation with only Washington locked into the #1 seed as winners of the President's Trophy.

The seeds will not be set in stone until late Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Dublinproud

Awesome game last night with the Rangers/Flyers game going down to the wire!

Cruel though that one team got THAT close and ended up going home

Roll on the playoffs...Go Canucks and Sens! :)

Yeah, I was pretty sick when the Rangers lost the shootout but well done to the Flyers, they deserve to be in the playoffs.

Can't wait for the playoffs to get underway! Go Canucks and Bruins... and when they get knocked out, Caps and Red Wings :D

My Blackhawks missed out on securing the #1 seed in the Western Conference with an OT loss to the ERM on Sunday.

The Hawks now have the #2 seed and will open up against #7 Nashville.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

first blood to canadiens.. sweeeeeet! one extra day on the playoff beard!

first blood to canadiens.. sweeeeeet! one extra day on the playoff beard!

Tomas Plekanec put his money where his mouth is and Jaroslav Halak helped him deliver.

Great opening rounds so far, although I hated seeing Philadelphia and Vancouver win.

My Blackhawks open at home in a little over two hours against Nashville. I got off of work in 35 minutes and then it is a 40 mile race to find a seat at the bar to watch the game.

series level, but all's not lost.. that game went down to the wire

• Advertisement

My Blackhawks came through pitching a shutout against Nashville last night to level the series at 1-1. Now it is off to Musictown to try and pick up two more games.

Another shutout for Niemi as the Blackhawks tie the series with Nashville 2-2.
    Philadelphia puts away New Jersey ending Kovalchuk's short lived career with the Devils.

Flyers, Sharks and Penguins are all at home waiting to see who they will play in the next round.

The Blackhakws absolutely STOLE that game from the Predators yesterday.

The Coyotes just forced a game seven with a 5-2 victory in Detroit.

The Coyotes just forced a game seven with a 5-2 victory in Detroit.

The 'yotes just got their asses handed to them by the ERM.

San Jose v Detroit
    Chicago v Vancouver

The Eastern Conference is still waiting for the Washington v Montreal series to finish up this evening as Game Seven i slooming in DC.

my heart's in my mouth for the series decider this evening.. finally found a good stream to watch it online.. go habs go

Towards the end of the second period at the moment and the Habs are 1-0 up and on a powerplay. The Habs have frustrated the hell out of Washington and are looking in control at this stage.

Incredible 3rd period!! Habs win 2-1. Made it 2-0 with 4 mins to go but conceded about 90 seconds later and survived a 6 on 4 for the last 1:44. Both teams also had a goal chalked off in the 3rd period. I was rooting for the Caps but fair play to the Canadiens, they deserve the win. Shanannigan may have had a heart attack!

WOW.

The President's Trophy winning Caps just became the first #1 seed to ever lose a series after being up 3-1.

• Advertisement

Advertisement