Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2009 - 2010 NHL Season Thread

Options
  • 20-08-2009 12:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

SO here we go again.......
    I'll tell yas now-
    East
    1.Philidelphia - Good signings always a good team
    2.Washington - In the cup shake-up if Ovie stays fit
    3.Boston - Not as good a season, but lessons learned
    4.Pittsburgh - Cup winners not enough depth to win division
    5.New Jersey - Never far away, rarely miss playoffs but weakened
    6.New York Rangers - Decent signings
    7.Montreal - Finally might get it together
    8.???? Toronto/buffalo/florida (ill make my mind up closer to season start)
    Dark Horse for Cup- NYR

West
    1.Detroit - Always top
    2.San José - Solid group but need to keep Thornton fit
    3.Calgary - Iginla leads the way
    4.Chicago - Won't top detroit in Central young and aspiring team
    5.Vancouver - Nice to resign Sedins, decent season with Luongo again
    6.Anaheim - Decent team with Getzlaf - Perry - Ryan
    7.Dallas - Get Turco over last year and should have decent run
    8. ????? Columbus/L.A./Edmonton (same as east)
    Dark Horse for Cup - Vancouver

Last 4 [Detroit vs Chicago] and [Philidelphia and Pittsburgh]
    After that its who wants it more (and whos got better goalkeeping)

All in all I dont see teams like Tampa and colorado improving much.
    Interesting to see how the Islanders can turn things around...also Minnesota might spring a surprise.

Ottawa and Atlanta are going nowhere
    Colorado and Phenoix are in the same boat (unless Pheonix is no more of course)

What does everyone else think will happen?
    NJD fan here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Detroit has definitely gotten weaker in the offseason.

San Jose is going to be shaken up in the very near future. Their roster is in no way settled at this particular time. Doug Wilson is really looking to make an impact before the season starts. Stay tuned to see what happens with the Sharks.

Calgary has improved in the coaching department with the addition of Brent Sutter. They will definitely be more defensive minded. Too many question marks with the offense at the moment for me. They also need some help between the pipes to back up Kipper.

Chicago needs to shake off a nightmarish summer in the media. The RFA signing fiasco that cost the team valuable salary cap room. The firing of Tallon and promotion of Scotty Bowman's son Stan to GM turned the fans against Team President John McDonough this offseason. Marian Hossa's shoulder injury/surgery didn't do anything to calm the situation. Patrick Kane being indicted in Buffalo was the icing on the cake. The Hawks are also suspect between the pipes with Huet who was suspect at times last season. The Hawks also do not have a viable backup to Huet at the moment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

some big changes in montreal... i took my eyes off for a couple of weeks and come back to find kovalev and koivu gone... kovi i can handle.. but i honestly thought koivu would finish his career in montreal.. i'm excited about the new season though, anxious to see what the habs line up can do this time around.

some big changes in montreal... i took my eyes off for a couple of weeks and come back to find kovalev and koivu gone... kovi i can handle.. but i honestly thought koivu would finish his career in montreal.. i'm excited about the new season though, anxious to see what the habs line up can do this time around.

Trading for Gomez was ridiculous.

All of that money for a second line centre at best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 scottyccfc

Its just not the same or as good as the 90s :D

scottyccfc wrote: »

What isn't ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

The leaves are changing colour and there appears to be a twinge of snow on the Rockies.

That can only mean one thing: NHL Season is soon to be upon us. :)

Could this be the year of the Flames?

New coach, new defensemen? Only time will tell.

The leaves are changing colour and there appears to be a twinge of snow on the Rockies.

That can only mean one thing: NHL Season is soon to be upon us. :)

Could this be the year of the Flames?

New coach, new defensemen? Only time will tell.

I like alot of what Darryl did in the offseason. He is building from the nets out. He is going to need to get Kipper some back-up help (especially in an Olympic year). Adding Brent as the coach was a great move.

I would be worried about who is going to score this season for the Flames though.

It's going to be interesting to see if Chicago or Calgary can unseat Detroit at the top of the Conference this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

I've started playing hockey again, im going after number 77 (ray bourke!)

I know the av's havnt really been up to par, but for some reason they hold a very special place for me. Ill be routing for them regardless of strength. Something im not used to as i follow manchester united in footy!

go avs!

<edit>
    scottyccfc wrote: »

no way, although those are the names that i grew up with. 2001 was the pinnicle of hockey imo. Obviously me being an av's fan.. cmon like...

roy, forsberg, hejduk, foote, tanguay, sakic and bourke to name but a few. Insane Hockey played that season. sakic was the best player to step foot on ice. Forget your howe, orr and goretzki - super joe was the best!

</edit>

San Jose is going to be shaken up in the very near future. Their roster is in no way settled at this particular time. Doug Wilson is really looking to make an impact before the season starts. Stay tuned to see what happens with the Sharks.

Doug Wilson shook up his lineup by trading for Dany Heatley

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=290808

Disgruntled forward Dany Heatley has gotten his wish.

Heatley and a fifth round draft pick have been traded to the San Jose Sharks in exchange for Milan Michalek, Jonathan Cheechoo and a second round pick.

I know the av's havnt really been up to par, but for some reason they hold a very special place for me. Ill be routing for them regardless of strength.

go avs!

the connection i hold with avs is that its the same franchise that was once owned by Québec Nordiques.. I've been watchin some youtube clips of classic encounters between them and habs.. there were some epic battles.. as well as a few bench clearing brawls.. most notable being the good friday brawl of 1984..
    the rivalry between montreal and quebec at that time was quite fierce

• Advertisement

red_ice wrote: »
    . Forget your howe, orr and goretzki - super joe was the best!

Joe Sakic was a great player, better yet, a classy player, but he can't be mentioned in the same breath as, Orr and Gretzky. Arguably, #1 and 1A (take your pick) in the history of the game

Take a deep breath and maybe you can mention him the second or third go around.

Joe was great, but nowhere near the greatest.

Fleury steps on theice for the Flames tonight. I don't think he'll be aorund for too long, but stranger things have happened.

I think the Flames are definitely stronger and will vie for Lord Stanley's mug.

to red_ice: forget Howe, Orr and Gretzky? You are mad. I got to watch Orr and Gretzky in their primes and Joe Sakic was definitely not as good. I watched Joe play in Swift Current and you knew he was going to be special.

Orr and Gretzky are in a class all themselves. I only saw Gordie toward the tail end of his career but my Dad's generation spoke very, very highly of him, and those who witnessed his play put him in with Gretzky and Orr.

Fleury scores the winning goal in a shoot-out. The fans went mad. :)

My son was at the game and he said that the fans were really pulling for him.

Great story.....but he'll never make it in the NHL at his age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Linus67

As a Leafs fan I am delighted with the signing of Phil Kessel from the Boston Bruins. Though the signing was costly as Boston will receive the Maple Leafs’ first-round draft picks in 2010 and 2011 and their second-round draft pick in 2010.
    http://mapleleafs.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=499059

The team that has impressed me so far with their signings has to be the Montreal Canadiens.

Scuttlebut around town has Theo playing in Abbotsford and then coming up after Christmas to see how he has fared.

Theo and the Flames then have a sit down, they shake hands have a beer and a retirment party were the number 14 gets retired.

We'll see though. He scored again last night and grabbed a couple of assists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Allison attempting the same thing in Hogtown; has played well in pre-season games.

Hope at last in LeafsNation :D - playoffs? Distinct possibility; Cup? Not this year, but we're on the right road. Onwards and upwards.

Raptors completely rebuilt too. And TFC on the brink of post-season play. Shame about the Jays. Aw well - 3/4 ain't bad. :D

I have a ticket to the Flames home opener next Thursday night vs Vancouver.

Fleury still around. hhmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

to red_ice: forget Howe, Orr and Gretzky? You are mad. I got to watch Orr and Gretzky in their primes and Joe Sakic was definitely not as good. I watched Joe play in Swift Current and you knew he was going to be special.

Orr and Gretzky are in a class all themselves. I only saw Gordie toward the tail end of his career but my Dad's generation spoke very, very highly of him, and those who witnessed his play put him in with Gretzky and Orr.

Ahh of course they were great. Sure Gretzky was in fairness the greatest player to step on the ice and all that. However sakic just had the whole package for me, stuff i dont see in other hockey players. I dont know, he was an idol for me 9 years ago and to this day actually, Gretzky was never one for me. If you put howe or orr in their prime on the ice with sakic in his, id bet sakic hands down. Sure cmon, howe and orr played in an era where people could smoke on the bench :p Its a different caliber of athlete.

Joe Sakic was a great player, better yet, a classy player, but he can't be mentioned in the same breath as, Orr and Gretzky. Arguably, #1 and 1A (take your pick) in the history of the game

Yep, he was classy. Again, the whole package, he didnt have other people fighting his fights either (as far as i remember). The pecking order in my eyes if i was to be a straight shooter would by gretzky then sakic.. however, in my eyes sakic was the greatest

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

On my original post, I'm goin to throw St. Louis on that list, the team looks like they are in good shape

red_ice wrote: »
    Ahh of course they were great. Sure Gretzky was in fairness the greatest player to step on the ice and all that. However sakic just had the whole package for me, stuff i dont see in other hockey players. I dont know, he was an idol for me 9 years ago and to this day actually, Gretzky was never one for me. If you put howe or orr in their prime on the ice with sakic in his, id bet sakic hands down. Sure cmon, howe and orr played in an era where people could smoke on the bench :p Its a different caliber of athlete.

Yep, he was classy. Again, the whole package, he didnt have other people fighting his fights either (as far as i remember). The pecking order in my eyes if i was to be a straight shooter would by gretzky then sakic.. however, in my eyes sakic was the greatest

Sakic couldn't take and control a game like Gretzky and Orr could. They could control the speed of a game. They had the ability to raise teammates, or get them to slow down if need be.

Joe never had that ability. Dont get me wrong I thought Sakic was great and loved watching him, but he could not control a game like Gretazky or Orr.

Too bad about Theo, we were all cheering for him, but now he got: reinstatement by the league and a chance to retire with honour and dignity.

Good on teh Flames orgnisation.

It starts TONIGHT!!!! can't wait to see how the new habs work out this season...

It starts TONIGHT!!!! can't wait to see how the new habs work out this season...

Bettman has four teams in Europe to 'kick off the NHL season' and then he starts the season in Canada the night before.

No one screws up like this and keeps their job. You would swear he was on the FF payroll.

Bettman has got to go, he has no understanding of the mind of the hockey fan. No better placce to start the season than Canada, we care more about it than the American team fans of the teams over there and teh Europeans.

Well, the Saddledome was cooking last night, retro jerseys, the hated cry-baby Canucks (complete with Sedin sisters) and we beat'em. :)

Flames 2-3 on the power play, a vast improvement over last year, Kipper rock solid. I was concerned with the forwards and their lack of attention to intelligent defensive play in the third.

Kipper rock solid.

I wouldn't worry about Kipper in the regular season. If they don't find a suitable backup, then I would begin to worry about him getting worn out in the post season.
    I was concerned with the forwards and their lack of attention to intelligent defensive play in the third.

That's the one thing that I wouldn't worry about with a team coached by Brent Sutter. This is the one are that he is going to concentrate on as the season progresses. It's in his nature.

I wouldn't worry about Kipper in the regular season. If they don't find a suitable backup, then I would begin to worry about him getting worn out in the post season.

That's the one thing that I wouldn't worry about with a team coached by Brent Sutter. This is the one are that he is going to concentrate on as the season progresses. It's in his nature.

Wise words. The Flames got a gift from Khabibulin on Saturday night v the Oilers.

It's about time that boy did us a favour. :)

Have you been able to watch the Chicago games in Europe?

Wise words. The Flames got a gift from Khabibulin on Saturday night v the Oilers.

It's about time that boy did us a favour. :)

Have you been able to watch the Chicago games in Europe?

I had the North American Sports Network (now ESPN America) for years. I relocated back to Chicago in August and will be at the home opener against Colorado tonight.

Looking forward to hearing the Anthem at the UC again. There is honestly nothing else like it in sports.

BLACKHAWKS RALLY FROM 5-0 DOWN TO STUN FLAMES IN OVERTIME

HOLY **** !!!!

I still can talk from this game !!

This ties the NHL record for the greatest comeback in NHL history !!

• Advertisement

That road trip didn't end so good... hopefully a nice break before the home stretch will do us good...

Advertisement