Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

ninja900 wrote: »
    Damn Hallmark Mother's Day, anyway.

In spite of being sick (of all bloody weekends to be sick), but still getting a card from the kids (signed by them), a card from me, a bunch of flowers from the kids, a bunch of flowers from me, efforts have been deemed inadequate, so at best I'll be getting the picture-but-no-sound treatment for at least another week.

:mad:

Edit: And a rather large box of Milk Tray. And I was the one who was sick, not her, but she won't accept anything less than major arterial bleeding as qualifying as 'sick'.

Is this about your mother or your wife?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

ninja900 wrote: »
    Damn Hallmark Mother's Day, anyway.

In spite of being sick (of all bloody weekends to be sick), but still getting a card from the kids (signed by them), a card from me, a bunch of flowers from the kids, a bunch of flowers from me, efforts have been deemed inadequate, so at best I'll be getting the picture-but-no-sound treatment for at least another week.

:mad:

Edit: And a rather large box of Milk Tray. And I was the one who was sick, not her, but she won't accept anything less than major arterial bleeding as qualifying as 'sick'.

Well at least you have a peaceful week ahead of you :D

TBH i was slightly annoyed my fella left it to the very last min to get me anything, Sunday morning he left the house to get something, leaving me to clean up :( he arrived back 2 hours later (i wasnt impressed) he did however get me a big bunch of flowers, chocolates, a book, and 100 euro to buy myself something nice :D and i did....

Kids gave me about 10 home made cards, they printed out photos from the pc and made cards with them. they also gave me lots of hugs & kissess telling me how much they loved me and that i was the best mommy in the world....

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭ladypip

We were driving home from playschool with our four year old a few weeks ago

and he said :"when people get really really old they die"

And I said :they do but its not something to worry about at your age.

Him: Will you die Mammy?

Me: I will but not for lots and lots and lots of years so dont worry about it.

Him: Will Daddy die?

Me: Yes but the same thing Honey not for lots and lots of years so you really should'nt worry about it.

Him : So he wont die tomorrow then?

Me: No

Him: Ok. Wooooowwww Look at that big Puddle on the road!!!!!!

I had to pull over I was laughing so much!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Pandora2

My 23 year old arrived home on Mother's Day (I was expecting that) too late to cook but just in time for lunch, and then informed me that the nicest Mother's Day Gift she could think of was to move back in and could we give her a hand emptying the car!! I am informed that it will be for 3/4 weeks, 6/7 at the longest:rolleyes:

I've just finished her washing and am making her favourite for tea but have spent all day practicing my "Not Impressed! face in the mirror!! Wouldn't do to let her know, she made my day!!!!

I got a lovely bouquet and some very expensive perfume too, just have to figure out where to hide the perfume from my daughters now!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is this about your mother or your wife?

My wife... Logically this makes no sense of course :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My five year old was feeling cold and a little sick today so I made a big pot of stew for dinner.

Her: Mammy, what are we having for dinner?
    Me: I've made a big pot of Irish Stew, you'll love it, it will really heat you up.
    Her: If I eat all my Irish Stew will I get an Irish voice like Sharon Ní Bellybutton*? :D

*That's my husband's name for a well known Newscaster

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Little girl woke up crying in the night, so I brought her into my bed for a while. She woke up after an hours and sighed sleepily, then broke out in a little smile. "Hiya Boobies!" She said to me (or not??!) happily.

:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Your kid is hilarious.

I find mine pretty funny but I would, yours however is a riot. How do you get anything done for laughing?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Went out for a walk yesterday evening with OH and the little fella (2yo), little fella have a great time, shouting at cows "Come here moo moo's... Come here"... and jabbing a stick, he had picked up along the way, anywhere he could... He got tired so of course had to go up on Daddys shoulders... As I was lifting him up, OH goes "Giddy up Daddy"... Little fella picks up on this and proceeds to whip me with the stick shouting "Giddy up Daddy, come on, Giddy up"... Little git wouldn't let me slow down either, anytime I stopped running, I got horse whipped :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Overheard :D my 7yro son and my OH two days before Mother's Day:

*Dad, you have to take me shopping, we need to buy a present for Mum!*

OH jokingly: *No, I wont take you because she's your Mum not mine!*

Silence and a minute later the comeback:

*But she cooks for you and makes your bed, now get the car keys and your wallet!*

:D

He made a card for me as well and drew the logo of the animal rescue I run on it, I nearly cried when I saw it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Well this is what someone else's kid did to make me smile but still! Yesterday I brought my one-month-old to his first pediatrician appointment. He was bathed and changed and fed and all but of course, in the waiting room, he started grunting, and I knew he was having a poo! There was another mother with a newborn, and a girl who was about 18 months/2 years old. The minute my little fella started grunting, she started saying "A big poo or a little poo?" on repeat! (tried not to laugh but it was funny!)

Also, my baby has started properly smiling at me, since yesterday. Makes me smile!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Your kid is hilarious.

I find mine pretty funny but I would, yours however is a riot. How do you get anything done for laughing?

I think that was aimed at me? Sorry if it wasnt. :P

She's a nutter! Don't know where I got her from. The house is always a mess if that helps! She keeps us all well entertained anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

My lads bunk came yesterday, they loved the top bunk and i thought there would be war over who got to sleep there.

Went in at 9 and the youngest was on the bottom bunk and eldest on top bunk, went in at 9.30 and both were in the bottom bunk. Eldest lad was getting a bit scared. with a little enouragement he then went in to the top bunk. This morning he came into me and said ' MOM i had the best sleep ever!'

This reminds me of my two youngest sisters.

One is nineteen, the other is ten, and they've always slept in the same room.

We're from a large family, and I always had to share a room when I was young, which I absolutely hated. I recently convinced my mother to give them their own rooms - there are plenty of bedrooms in the house, and seeing as all of the older siblings have moved out by now, it made no sense for them to be stuck in the same room anymore!

So now they both have their lovely new rooms, all done up just as they want them. But they won't sleep in them! They switch between the two rooms, but don't want to sleep apart ... the older one says she can't sleep without the younger one snoring, the younger one says she can't sleep without the older one annoying her with pointless chitchat, she's too used to it by now. :o

It's just cute how they give out so much about each other, but they can't be apart at the same time!

Also, even though I only see them every few weeks, hardly a day goes by that I don't get an "I <3 you" e-mail (or similar) from one or both of them. They're wee sweethearts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

He laughed out loud today for the first time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my 13mth old has just started on a bottle of milk or 2 a day. so I gave him one after lunch and when he dropped it I asked him ' where's your milk, baba?' and he popped up with a big smile and kissed me on the boob. Little fella has his priorities right;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Pistachio

Must remember not to have the radio on in the car when my 4 and a half year old is with me after today!!

This is what he asked me at the grocery checkout;

Mom, (loudly and clearly) What's prostitution????

:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,583 ✭✭✭deisemum

lynski wrote: »
    my 13mth old has just started on a bottle of milk or 2 a day. so I gave him one after lunch and when he dropped it I asked him ' where's your milk, baba?' and he popped up with a big smile and kissed me on the boob. Little fella has his priorities right;-)

Wait until he's a bit older and sitting in a shopping trolley facing you and grabs your boobs and shouts boobies over and over. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Had to bring the small man (2) to the doctor yesterday because he's had a bout of conjunctivitis that wasn't clearing up. He's a big Doctor Who fan so when I told him that the Doctor was going to fix his eyes, he spent the day telling anyone who would listen that the Doctor was going to fix his eyes in the Tardis.

Imagine his surprise when he arrived into the surgery to find that the Doctor had regenerated into a balding ginger Irishman. All doubt was removed when the lollipops were produced though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Had to bring the small man (2) to the doctor yesterday because he's had a bout of conjunctivitis that wasn't clearing up. He's a big Doctor Who fan so when I told him that the Doctor was going to fix his eyes, he spent the day telling anyone who would listen that the Doctor was going to fix his eyes in the Tardis.

A truly epic child. :D

In other news Cillian enlightened his gran-dad with the statement:
    'Mammy and Daddy don't like the poor'
    The reason being that we don't have a Trocaire box. Direct debits to four charities apparently don't count...
    :D:D

my 3 yr old daughter said something today only an irish child could say:
    'mommy, the clouds are blue' me 'no sweetie there are no clouds, that is the sky' 'really mommy? wow'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Another gem from my 5 year old.

Last night during a protest over going to bed Cillian tearfully tells his Daddy;
    'You don't know what my childhood was like!'

:eek::D:D
    What do you say to that.

paperclip2 wrote: »
    Another gem from my 5 year old.

Last night during a protest over going to bed Cillian tearfully tells his Daddy;
    'You don't know what my childhood was like!'

:eek::D:D
    What do you say to that.

sounds like he would like my 5yr old; regular quote ' i dont like this planet. why do we have to live on this stupid planet?'

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Walked into the sitting room yesterday evening and saw the little fella (2) sitting there on the floor chewing something, I hadn't given him anything to eat so had to be something that he wasn't supposed to chew... Ran over and opened his mouth and put my finger in to get what was in there out, all the while saying "Whats in your mouth, whats in your mouth...." little responds... "Daddys finger"

Ask a stupid question I suppose...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

my almost 7 yr old son was looking at the moshi monster coupon in the sun newspaper today and asked if he could look at the rest of the paper, I told him no because it has a naked lady in it, to which he replies "but mommy I love boobies" what can you say to that!! btw he didn't get the paper:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

angeldaisy wrote: »
    my almost 7 yr old son was looking at the moshi monster coupon in the sun newspaper today and asked if he could look at the rest of the paper, I told him no because it has a naked lady in it, to which he replies "but mommy I love boobies" what can you say to that!! btw he didn't get the paper:D

Breastfeeding baby/toddler = ok to see 'boobies'
    Ages 3-13 = not ok to see 'boobies'
    Ages 13=16 = kinda, sorta ok to see 'boobies'
    Ages 16-60 = ok to see 'boobies'
    Ages 60+ = dirty old pervert.

It's a funny old world. No wonder the kid is confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Driving along main street in Gort, a town with a high Brazilian population, small man looks out of the window and piped up very matter of fact: "There are a lot of people from Brown Land here!".

:D

• Administrators Posts: 13,889 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

angeldaisy wrote: »

When my fella was about 4 there was a picture of a model in a very skimpy bikini standing beside a bus advertising Cheltenham. My lad told me, "we could go for a spin on that bus, and that lady could put on a jumper and be the driver"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

Getting the kids out the door for the school run, my 5yo puts his runners on, cadjoling them into the car and he says, 'hang on mammy, I just have to attach my rocket boosters' (??)... he clips two neon yellow plastic pegs to his socks and 'jets' to the car convinced he will be the coolest kid in the class!!

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

9 year old got a present in the post today. It was wrapped in bubble wrap. She took the present (small knitted easter chick) and put it to one side, then she carefully spread out the sheet of bubble wrap on the floor and proceeded to jump up and down on it with utter glee while my 5 month old sat on my knee and laughed her ass off.

I managed to get a video too, very happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

It seems that the humour of Kenneth Williams and Sid James is live and kicking in the house of Axle Rose.

My almost 4 yr old stuck a wad of toilet roll between the cheeks of his arse, wiggled his bum and shouted 'mammy look at my feathers!'.

Advertisement