Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

My 6 year old son just lost a top tooth tonight and was hyper at the thoughts of the tooth fairy coming, he's sitting chatting away when suddenly he comes out with

'oh mam do you just remember the good auld days when I had my tooth?'

I burst out laughing, such a simple thing but at a time when his relationship with his dad is at an all time low it really warms my heart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

My 3 month old had his pediatrician appointment yesterday, and he was such a little charmer! He tried to grab the light when she was looking in his mouth, and he was doing everything to show the doctor how well he is developing (stuff that he hardly ever does at home! the little divil!)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not sure if this will translate, but anyway... Two kids were tidying up their toys and the little one (nearly 3) was skiving off a bit. Her brother (nearly 5), exasperated, shouted over at her "tu m'aides pas!" (you're not helping). She put down what she was doing, went over and gave him a big hug and said, all sincerely "mais si, je t'aime. Je t'aime beaucoup!" (of course I love you, I love you loads). Somewhat mollified, he grumbled that she'd misheard him but it was all right, he was nearly finished. And he loved her too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Not sure if this will translate, but anyway... Two kids were tidying up their toys and the little one (nearly 3) was skiving off a bit. Her brother (nearly 5), exasperated, shouted over at her "tu m'aides pas!" (you're not helping). She put down what she was doing, went over and gave him a big hug and said, all sincerely "mais si, je t'aime. Je t'aime beaucoup!" (of course I love you, I love you loads). Somewhat mollified, he grumbled that she'd misheard him but it was all right, he was nearly finished. And he loved her too.

Aw! So sweet.

You're almost making me want to make a big brother out of my fella. Almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

my 15mth old learned to open the living room door today, with great effort and massive stretches. so proud and scared - no way to contain him now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You still have the advantage of height, put internal door keys on a nail high up on the door frame...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

When we were in the butchers today my 5 year got all excited and asked me if we could have the 'lion' chops for dinner. I asked him where he saw them and he pointed to the 'loin' chops. The butcher had a great laugh from it. My lad couldn't work out what we were laughing at until I explained it!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Showing my 4yr old our new house today, he picked his room and then said we couldn't have a guest room because that was 'his brothers room', so playing on that I asked him where his brother was,
    'the one your going to get for me mammy',
    'and where do I get them? do I buy him in a baby shop?',
    'Don't be silly mammy! You have to lay one!'

I actually nearly fell over laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My six year old: Mammy, you don't have to do any cooking today, I'm going to take you for a meal.

She then hands me a takeaway menu for a local Thai place.

Me: That is really lovely "X" but do you have money to pay for the meal?

Her: That's no problem Mammy, I have loads of money.

She goes on to take wads of Junior Monopoly money from her Barbie purse :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭SmilingLurker

My daughter stopped crying when I sang to her, she was born Monday. Even changing nappies makes me smile at the moment.

• Advertisement

My 3.5 month old is in his bed right now, laughing his head off at his musical mobile. It's hilarious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭I am a friend

He slept!!! Poor pet was on wrong milk and med for reflux. Got a second opinion and he now slept for mOre than 3 hours for the first time in 6 months. He is in great form since :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

This has been a long time coming but my 7 year old can FINALLY ride his bike :) I'm as proud of the determination and effort that went into it over the past few days as I am of the fact that he can do it! Something that my eldest child got the hang of in a few seconds took him hours and hours of effort over the past few days (having decided himself to try again after over a year not getting on the bike!). I had started to think that the co-ordination and balance just weren't there :( With dark clouds looming I had just suggested maybe we go home and try again tomorrow but his sad little face told me to wait it out another while... and then it just seemed to click and all of a sudden he was pedalling away perfectly balanced ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

daughter got a summer job - busy place with long enough hours but she's good and will stick with it. she must have tried 100s of places but never gave up. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

littlebug wrote: »
    This has been a long time coming but my 7 year old can FINALLY ride his bike :) I'm as proud of the determination and effort that went into it over the past few days as I am of the fact that he can do it! Something that my eldest child got the hang of in a few seconds took him hours and hours of effort over the past few days (having decided himself to try again after over a year not getting on the bike!). I had started to think that the co-ordination and balance just weren't there :( With dark clouds looming I had just suggested maybe we go home and try again tomorrow but his sad little face told me to wait it out another while... and then it just seemed to click and all of a sudden he was pedalling away perfectly balanced ! :)

The Dutch have the perfect bikes for learning, no pedals or stabilizers.

My 3.5 month old is such a clown, in the last couple of days he has started doing "pretend" coughs to make us laugh! (and he roars laughing after doing it too!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

aujopimur wrote: »

That's how we did it in the end... pedals off and repeated downhills (small hill on grass) til it looked like there was some balance there then the pedals went back on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

aujopimur wrote: »

Saw those in italy, there was a toddler no older than 18 months flying along on one. I see halfords sell them, but they are too small for my 5 year old. Balance bikes!

Got my almost 7 year old a new bike he went from a 16 inch to a 20 inch and we had to re-learn him how to cycle it as his toes only just touch the floor, he mastered it in a week. His now flying around the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Saw those in italy, there was a toddler no older than 18 months flying along on one. I see halfords sell them, but they are too small for my 5 year old. Balance bikes!

Got my almost 7 year old a new bike he went from a 16 inch to a 20 inch and we had to re-learn him how to cycle it as his toes only just touch the floor, he mastered it in a week. His now flying around the place.

There's a place in Meath that sells balance bikes suitable from 18 months, we bought one from their website for our daughter, if anyone wants link PM me, can't praise them enough.

On topic, my 5-year-old set the breakfast table from himself and his sister, put cereal in the bowls, and explained he didn't put the orange juice out as he couldn't reach the glasses.
    Weekend mornings are looking better and better! (until no. 3 arrives...)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Imaginarium do balance bikes that can have peddles and chain attached when the child is old enough for them :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 what the heck

We were trying to distract our 15 month old last night and asked her to get us her monkey. She toddles off to her toys and stands there looking /thinking for a minute and then bends down to pick something up and brings it over. It was her "where's Spot" book... we were confused, until she sat down and opened the page where there is a monkey hiding in the wardrobe!!!

She's already learnt there's more than one way to skin a cat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Cillian (6) got up this morning and nipped in under the curtain. Nothing for a minute then;
    *Sigh,
    'Clouds again. Seriously, God!'

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I was getting ready to go and see Prometheus last night in the cinema. My eight year old asked if he could come.

"No," I said. "It's 15A rated."

"Yes, A," he said.

"Fifteen A."

"But it's A."

"Fifteen."

"A."

"Fifteen."

Anyway, he didn't come, which was just as well as it turned out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Last week, while I was lying exhausted on the sofa watching/listening to TOTP2, my four year old came into the room and suddenly became very interested..

Her: Is that a Lady singing?

Me: Yes, it is.

Her: Is it a Lady?!

Me: It's a Lady. You know it's a Lady because, look! She has boobs

Her: Yes, okay.. she has boobies.. and no beard.

:D

My daughter: "Why do babies poop so much?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Slightly non-PC!

"OMG mum, look that lady has not arm and is still alive" at full volume in Pennys....................hasty retreat

• Registered Users Posts: 34,481 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Obviously not a CBeebies viewer, then :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

ninja900 wrote: »
    Obviously not a CBeebies viewer, then :)

(I have a bit of a crush on Kerrie)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

20 mins into Ireland Spain game

My 6YO ( allowed to stay up to watch first half ) says in an exasperated voice

' Lads SERIOUSLY , you are representing my country !!! '

No idea where it came from .

cue ..... much laughter from me and my wife !

• Advertisement

My little fella (nearly 4 months) has started pulling himself up to sit (when he is lying on my lap and I hold his hands, he pulls himself up). It's so funny, like he is doing sit ups, he grunts with the effort, and after he does it four or five times, he is all puffed out! He'll be off to the gym next! :)

Advertisement