Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What your child did/said that made you smile today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

It's actually a clever way to do the math. Much more useful with bigger numbers though. There's lots of little tricks for doing math more easily. A 12 year old cousin showed me how to quickly calculate the squared value of any number ending in 5 (ie, 25 squared = 625).

I'm dreading when my young lad asks me for help with maths...I'm useless:eek::o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I promised myself I'd learn Vedic maths so I could help my kids 'cheat' but I could never motivate my brain enough to do it.

OT: My daughter has this endearing/annoying habit of singing herself to sleep at the top of her voice, much to the chagrin of her brother. I asked her nicely if she wouldn't mind stopping to let her brother get to sleep last night. She stopped for a second but when I got to the door she started up whisper-singing. It's not hilarious in and of itself but it reminded me of this:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

The eldest has started to use her calculator on her phone ;)
    Done the kids room up and they are really pleased with their new(ish) bunks and new coloured walls I'm officially the best mummy ever ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

My little girl learned to say Pizza last week. Hilarious! I reckon she should guest star on south park :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOJmOiN9NB8&context=C3c22e5aADOEgsToPDskJLdqa-wK1r0rx3GGveyXjz

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

My little man (almost 3) got out of the car this morning at creche. I was about to close the car door when he said "WAIT - i want to go back in there (pointing at driver's seat) and have cuddles".. So we did, and he said "i love cuddles". It made me smile but it going to work a lot more difficult! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

It's my birthday today :D and as my 9yr old sang happy birthday to me when I woke up, he reminded of my birthday a few years ago..he was 5 or 6.

He was singing Happy Birthday to me at the top of his voice, but the kids version...'Happy birthday to you...You look like a monkey..and you smell like one too!'

And then he piped up..'Mam, what does 'one-too' smell like:confused:'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Fittle wrote: »
    It's my birthday today :D and as my 9yr old sang happy birthday to me when I woke up, he reminded of my birthday a few years ago..he was 5 or 6.

He was singing Happy Birthday to me at the top of his voice, but the kids version...'Happy birthday to you...You look like a monkey..and you smell like one too!'

And then he piped up..'Mam, what does 'one-too' smell like:confused:'

Awh bless him :pac:

happy birthday Fittle :)

HAPPY_bIRTHDAY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

HI

This thread is the nicest part of my day.:)

WAs putting a race track together for my 4.5 year old son. One thing was not making sense, so I said wait one minute while I read instructions.
    He face-palmed and said 'Oh No, do we need to get an adult to help'!!?
    Im 34. at least he did not say a man I suppose:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

gcgirl wrote: »
    The eldest has started to use her calculator on her phone ;)
    Done the kids room up and they are really pleased with their new(ish) bunks and new coloured walls I'm officially the best mummy ever ;)

My lads bunk came yesterday, they loved the top bunk and i thought there would be war over who got to sleep there.

Went in at 9 and the youngest was on the bottom bunk and eldest on top bunk, went in at 9.30 and both were in the bottom bunk. Eldest lad was getting a bit scared. with a little enouragement he then went in to the top bunk. This morning he came into me and said ' MOM i had the best sleep ever!'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

A friend of mine told me that two days after walking in on her in the shower, herself and her 4 year old son went shopping..

He's in the why phase, cute as a button.. In the middle of the queue in Lidl, he turns around to his mother and starts quizzing her about why she has no Willy..

Scarlet for her!

• Advertisement

At dinner time last night, my husband was teasing the 5 year old. the 5 year old was getting annoyed an said ' i'll kill you ' paused, waited and then added ' i'm not lying '

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Was recently driving in the car with my 13 year old daughter and 3 of her similarly aged friends in the back. They were discussing endangered species and my daughter told the others about some endangered animal she had seen recently on TV. She told them that the reason there are so few of these animals is because they only breed every 5 years.

"How does it hold it's breath for so long?" asked one of the friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Pistachio

Just one of many questions we field every day;

4yr old son: How did the Egypt people get around without cars?
    Me (confidently!): They had camels
    4yr old son: (even more confidently) No, the camels were gone because of the meteor
    Me: I thought that was the dinosaurs??
    4yr old son: Yea, and the camels.
    Me: I'll have to look it up.
    4yr old son: OK

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Pistachio wrote: »
    Just one of many questions we field every day;

4yr old son: How did the Egypt people get around without cars?
    Me (confidently!): They had camels
    4yr old son: (even more confidently) No, the camels were gone because of the meteor
    Me: I thought that was the dinosaurs??
    4yr old son: Yea, and the camels.
    Me: I'll have to look it up.
    4yr old son: OK

Bright kid you have there,:):) My 4.5 year old thinks extinct is the name of the country where the dragons and dinosaurs live..... It will be a long time before he hears about a meteor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My 7 yro is a picky eater and eats the same stuff for days and then goes off it for months. The fad was fish fingers, however, he has now gone of them which sparked the following conversation:

*Did you like fish fingers when you were a kid?*

*No, fish had no fingers when I was a child.*

Followed by a long silence... and his eyes rolled and he said:

*You are WEIRD!*

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

The same 5 year old, who said he wants to be "big and strong like you dad" whilst bench pressing a ruler a few weeks ago, told me yesterday he wants to get tattoos when he's ten. I asked how many he wants, he said he wants "twenteen" LOL. I asked what he wants done and he wants Optimus Prime, Predator, Alien and Hellraiser! :rolleyes: Monkey see, monkey do, eh?? :pac:

I was cleaning my 5 year olds ears and pulled out the ear bud and he looked at it and said 'HONEY', i said 'no pet, its ear wax' so he started pointing at everyone telling them they had ear wax....

I tried to reach up and get a toy couldn't reach it so used my sons sword and he exclaimed ' i wasnt expecting that' .

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

My friends all thought I was mental/disgusting, but we bought a pumpkin at halloween, and it only started to go soft yesterday. My friends kept telling me throw it out before it rotted, but I couldn't as my almost 2 year old adored it. She literally hugged it and kissed it everyday and told all her secrets to it!

So yesterday, I checked the pumpkin and it was soft, so bye bye pumkin....bin time!

She was inconsolable "Noooooo!!! PUMPKIN!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!" Sobbing for ages.

Today I was sitting down with my morning coffee and I hear the little pipsqueak saying "Pumkin! Pumpkin?" Looking behind doors and in all the cupboards! Bless her :rolleyes:

Awwwwwwwwwww..... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

My 10 y.o. grandson observing a man wearing a jewish sculcap "Hey grandad look at the man from Jesus country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

My five year old daughter arrived home from school on Friday afternoon with two beautiful cards that she had made herself.

"Mammy, I made these cards especially for you and Daddy, this one is for St. Patrick's Day and the other one is for St. Mother's Day".

"St Mother's Day" :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

My 4 year old daughter told me Friday that "I was her hero". Came out of the blue and I was so touched by it.

I'll remind her when she 14 and wants to go to the disco in a little skirt...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

my 6yr old son listening to the radio in the car and singing "I'm sexxaay, I'm sexxaaay" to LMFAO's "I'm sexy and I know it"
    Thank god he doesn't get it!!

• Administrators Posts: 13,861 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

Yesterday my 4 year old brought me breakfast in bed for Mother's Day... a cup of water "with a lid on it so you won't spill it".

Bless her, her face was lit up with the thrill of it!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

My 2.5 y.o. decided to do a puppet show from behind the bed. Up pops the little red lion and, in a freaky deep voice goes "I want to kill the children!"

I laughed, nervously.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

MrsD007 wrote: »
    "St Mother's Day" :D:D:D

Damn Hallmark Mother's Day, anyway.

In spite of being sick (of all bloody weekends to be sick), but still getting a card from the kids (signed by them), a card from me, a bunch of flowers from the kids, a bunch of flowers from me, efforts have been deemed inadequate, so at best I'll be getting the picture-but-no-sound treatment for at least another week.

:mad:

Edit: And a rather large box of Milk Tray. And I was the one who was sick, not her, but she won't accept anything less than major arterial bleeding as qualifying as 'sick'.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

My 2 year old made my heart melt today when she offered her soother to the baby in my tummy & was kissing the bump/baby :)

It makes a nice difference from her trying to bounce on my tum or like she was doing at the weekend shouting at my tum 'Out baby, Out!' :D

My 2 year old made my heart melt today when she offered her soother to the baby in my tummy & was kissing the bump/baby :)

It makes a nice difference from her trying to bounce on my tum or like she was doing at the weekend shouting at my tum 'Out baby, Out!' :D

Brilliant!

smiley-laughing025.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭stoneill

My son decided that he would tidy up, vacuum and dust his room without being forced, coerced or bribed!
    He's 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,365 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Must be asking a girl to visit :D

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement