Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Fred Barry, CEO of National Roads Authority, is in front of Oireachtas Committee this morning.

A further comment on that and the use of the word "could" wrt timeline of signing and contract length.

He clarified that the project could be signed next year is caution, he hopes to have it signed asap.

He further stated that the reported expected build time of 3.5 years is the total time that the contract will be entitled to take to build the road. The M6 which is a similar length took 2-2.5 years to build, so this is probably a more realistic timeframe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

antoobrien wrote: »
    He further stated that the reported expected build time of 3.5 years is the total time that the contract will be entitled to take to build the road. The M6 which is a similar length took 2-2.5 years to build, so this is probably a more realistic timeframe.

It seems clear to me that these projects are being deliberately stretched out to save money.

Quickelles wrote: »
    It seems clear to me that these projects are being deliberately stretched out to save money.

Well your prediction radar has been hilariously wrong in the past, so your negativity gives me great hope.

There are rumours going around that Roadbridge won't be able to get their personnel preferred together before christmas as they are working on other projects and that's the real reason for the delay.

Well your prediction radar has been hilariously wrong in the past, so your negativity gives me great hope.

There are rumours going around that Roadbridge won't be able to get their personnel preferred together before christmas as they are working on other projects and that's the real reason for the delay.

Judging by the Luas and N11/Newlands and R132 plus the N3/N2 connector I'd say my reckoning is correct.

As for my jocose remark attacking the current Regime don't take too much comfort from that.

Leisurely is the new urgent post-crash.

Judging by the Luas and N11/Newlands and R132 plus the N3/N2 connector I'd say my reckoning is correct.

Predicting something is going to fail 2 days before it goes ahead?

Ah ->

• Advertisement

Predicting something is going to fail 2 days before it goes ahead?

Ah ->

Spotting a new policy, actually. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

So, a "contract [might] be signed next year" and construction might start the year after based on that completion date and construction time.

Or, of course, maybe it will take longer if the economy keeps shrinking...

The Chinese built a trans-continental rail system quicker than that!

Tenders have gone out for N18 - Oranmore to Gort.

The good news of this is that both schemes appear to be starting next year. Kinda ironic considering that I made that "Which interurban will win" thread - now theres a chance that the N18 will win.

Was thinking also, wouldnt it be interesting if Oranmore - Gort was open before Gort - Crusheen. Can you imagine what a chaotic nightmare Gort would turn into???

The first post on this thread; date 20 July 2007. :cool:

In the unlikely event that it happens by 2018 that will be eleven years later!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

haha the amount of irony in my first post now is quite hilarious :D

• Advertisement

jenningso wrote: »

He's assuming the contract will be signed "in the next year" and taking the 3 1/2 year maximum time allotted for construction.

Obviously that "completion date" will change depending on when the contract is signed and other factors like how much work the contractors have going on, e.g. if they have another contract lined up they might finish quicker than they otherwise could, or completion bonuses which were supposedly part of the boom time contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Yes, some sarcasm on my side! I hate it when these guys play politics with the facts though. The Kitt from a few years ago would be today proclaiming the motorway to be completed by 2016! Seriously though, local elections on their way in summer 2014, so contract WILL be signed and sung from the hills around Galway by Government party Councillors during the lead in to the campaign, I guess early 2014. And I can also guess that this project would be wrapped in 2.5 years easily. Unless they discover some unknown caves north of Gort! Oh, don't forget possible general election by 2016!
    He's assuming the contract will be signed "in the next year" and taking the 3 1/2 year maximum time allotted for construction.

Obviously that "completion date" will change depending on when the contract is signed and other factors like how much work the contractors have going on, e.g. if they have another contract lined up they might finish quicker than they otherwise could, or completion bonuses which were supposedly part of the boom time contracts.

Seriously though, local elections on their way in summer 2014, so contract WILL be signed and sung from the hills around Galway by Government party Councillors during the lead in to the campaign, I guess early 2014.

So, they'll delay signing the contract till just before the local elections?

Sounds about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

So, they'll delay signing the contract till just before the local elections?

Sounds about right.

Foreign banks aren't interested in this project at the moment. This isn't a complicated thing.

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    Foreign banks aren't interested in this project at the moment. This isn't a complicated thing.

I don't think foreign banks are the problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Cleahaigh

I don't think foreign banks are the problem!

They're the ones with money.

Cleahaigh wrote: »
    They're the ones with money.

That is the problem; not the foreign banks!

The project will be no more interesting next year; it's all about Government commitment - or lack of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Ive said this before Roadbridge are not interested in starting this project at the moment, thats their stumbling block. The local elections look like an announcement date

Are roadbridge busy :confused:

Im led to believe Roadbridge have work on, but what of Bam they were the preferred tender

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭trg

f2 wrote: »
    Im led to believe Roadbridge have work on, but what of Bam they were the preferred tender
    Sisk/Roadbridge/Lagan are preferred bidder I am sure

trg wrote: »
    Sisk/Roadbridge/Lagan are preferred bidder I am sure

It's not clear who is the current preferred bidder is, but BAM won the tender. There's been no official announcement of any change yet, but all questions in the press have referred to Roadbridge as being the contractor that will work on the project.

Confused? Good, in the absence of anything official so are the rest of us.:(

Confused? Good, in the absence of anything official so are the rest of us.:(

Yes indeed confused.

If BAM won the tender how can somebody else be the preferred bidder?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Yes indeed confused.

If BAM won the tender how can somebody else be the preferred bidder?!

My understanding is that BAM came first in the tender bid but were unable to secure financing and were disqualified as a result. Roadbridge/Sisk/Lagan came second in the tender bid and by default have become the preferred bidder. I'm open to correction on that though.

tonc76 wrote: »
    My understanding is that BAM came first in the tender bid but were unable to secure financing and were disqualified as a result. Roadbridge/Sisk/Lagan came second in the tender bid and by default have become the preferred bidder. I'm open to correction on that though.

you're right in that BAM appear to have been disqualified, however that has not been officially announced by anyone.

Up to recently it was reported that they were in final commerical negoiatons with BAM, did anybody hear the job spot on Galway Bay today, a company is looking for shuttering carpenters with knowledge of motorway bridges what company is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galway 4 sam

Mr varadkar was at the opening of oranmore train station yesterday. Apparently he said he expects to be turning the sod on the m17 before the end of the year. Did anyone hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Mr varadkar was at the opening of oranmore train station yesterday. Apparently he said he expects to be turning the sod on the m17 before the end of the year. Did anyone hear this?

Yes. December 2013 was the month he mentioned.

Fits with the following report from Galway Independent on the 25-07-2013.
    http://galwayindependent.com/20130724/news/four-year-wait-for-gort-tuam-motorway-S21627.html

• Advertisement

Yes. December 2013 was the month he mentioned.

Fits with the following report from Galway Independent on the 25-07-2013.
    http://galwayindependent.com/20130724/news/four-year-wait-for-gort-tuam-motorway-S21627.html

Funny, that's more in line with previous statements than what the NRA chairman told the dail committee a couple of weeks ago.

I'm kinda amused about the anger/confusion over time-frame being mentioned in the various press reports of this. If these guys had been paying attention they'd know that the M6 was started in April 2007, with an expected end date of late 2010 (can't remember if it was Q3 or Q4). It was opened just before Christmas 2009, even with the delays caused by having to open it for over a week to facilitate repair work to the old N6 where the bridge in Craughwell was severely damaged.

2018 is a latest date of delivery, not necessarily an actual delivery date.

Advertisement