Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's from the co co website, there's stuff there I' don't remember seeing before the summer.

Regardless, it shows the current view of the co co, which is more that can be said for some of the rumourmongering that is going on for the past few pages.

I would be hoping that what they put up actually has some merit in it and isnt far off the mark. Fingers crossed!!!

Great news.

All going to plan it will improve my future no end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

There's unlikly to be any work on the ground until early 2014 I'm hearing regardless of contract signings.

Contractor doesn't seem keen on starting work until after winter - strange, I wouldn't have thought they were swamped with work.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭trg

Contractor doesn't seem keen on starting work until after winter - strange, I wouldn't have thought they were swamped with work.

Not much point in a contractor mobilising a crew at start of winter & taking the risk of terrible weather & the delays & costs for same.

Safer to wait I imagine is the idea of delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

There's unlikly to be any work on the ground until early 2014 I'm hearing regardless of contract signings.

Roadbridge have a lot of guys working on projects that won't be available until christmas. They won't start until they come free.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Not sure if this helps but the Comptroller and Auditor General's annual report came out today.

Under PPP section, pg 47 it lists Gort-Tuam
    http://www.audgen.gov.ie/documents/annualreports/2012/report/en/Report2012.pdf

Preferred bidder announced October 2011. The National Roads Authority aims to sign this contract by the end of 2013.

The final stage of the CPO process was initiated over the last few weeks, the notice for the M18 section was in the city tribune at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

The final stage of the CPO process was initiated over the last few weeks, the notice for the M18 section was in the city tribune at the weekend.

Have all the CPOs been completed for the N17 section so?

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Have all the CPOs been completed for the N17 section so?

Didn't see that order, it could have been in the country version or (more likely) the Tuam Herald. AFAIK both sets of orders were due to expire yesterday, so it's a fairly safe assumption to make that they have been completed (as they would have required legislation to extend like GCOB did a few years back).

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

There was nothing in the Tuam Herald, as far as I know CPO for the m17 are complete, I have heard that the council are talking to one or two landowners for extra ground where the CPO line seems tight. Would they CPO this ground?

• Advertisement

Was down the Weir Road on Saturday (first time in a few months I think) and seen fencing on the Galway side of the road. I walked a bit of it and think it goes all the way to the N17 (West Wing)

It looks new, not weathered.

f2 wrote: »
    There was nothing in the Tuam Herald, as far as I know CPO for the m17 are complete, I have heard that the council are talking to one or two landowners for extra ground where the CPO line seems tight. Would they CPO this ground?

It'd depend on whether the landowner agrees to the price offered, if there is disagreement it would take a CPO, otherwise it'd be a "normal" land purchase transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

http://www.galwaybayfm.ie/component/k2/item/2875-taoiseach-says-gort-to-tuam-motorway-to-begin-next-year

Getting a bit tiring now.... Still, I bet early 2014 local election boost is on the cards!

I was talking to a guy who works for the ESB, he told me the ESB are being put under pressure to move two lines around Mother Hubbards on the Craughwell road by the council. Is the M17 crossing around there up there? I know around Tuam, ESB have already moved 110kv lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

the lines down by mother hubbards were moved 8 years ago.The motorway will cross just south of there .The ESB spent huge money upgrading 10-20 kv lines down there.I doubth it needs to be done again.

must have got wrong info, he was over a new 38kv line going up from Headford

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

it would be nice if this road could be built now before the price starts to climb again.It would be a huge lift to this side of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

jenningso wrote: »
    Still, I bet early 2014 local election boost is on the cards!
    Dead right. As well as being an important piece of national infrastructure, it's also locally politically important as well, so I would definitely expect work to have started by then.

serfboard wrote: »
    Dead right. As well as being an important piece of national infrastructure, it's also locally politically important as well, so I would definitely expect work to have started by then.

The contract is being held up because the foremen Roadbridge need to get started are all (still) working on the Ballaghaderreen Bypass. Also we're getting into the very short days - sunrise is 8am, sunset 6.43 pm today - meaning less usable time (hence less overtime) and it's hard to do much in the way of setting up compounds & earthmoving in the dark.

Builders are loathe to start working this time of the year because of these kinds of issues.

It'll have to start in spring as there may be issues with birds nesting.

I'd imagine that the locals will also remember the government promised us that the road would be underway by now in the elections next year.

The contract is being held up because the foremen Roadbridge need to get started are all (still) working on the Ballaghaderreen Bypass. Also we're getting into the very short days - sunrise is 8am, sunset 6.43 pm today - meaning less usable time (hence less overtime) and it's hard to do much in the way of setting up compounds & earthmoving in the dark.

Builders are loathe to start working this time of the year because of these kinds of issues.

I'd imagine that the locals will also remember the government promised us that the road would be underway by now in the elections next year.

Any idea when the Ballaghaderreen Bypass is due for completion?

• Advertisement

glineli wrote: »
    Any idea when the Ballaghaderreen Bypass is due for completion?

The earthmoving and baselayers are due to be done soon (if they aren't already done), which should free up those people. After that it will be the road dressing.

I was talking to one of the guys who drives a dump truck on the N5 scheme over the summer, he told me at the time about the foremen not being available until christmas back then. I don't like writing stuff that can't be confirmed (after all this is my mate said), but since then I've heard it from two other sources that work on the N5 project was well.

From todays budget speech

"Five of the nine PPP projects have already issued to market and the flagship Grangegorman DIT project - valued at over €200m - is due to issue by the end of this month."

Are we one of the 5 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭nct tester

Its Wills Bros. that are doing the balla by pass tho, no??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The sooner this project starts the better.

I just wish that the M6/M18/M17 interchange at Rathmorrissey was a whirlpool type and not a gammy three level stacked roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Barry23

Roadbridge are not involved in that job and most definitely have all the required staff to start ASAP

LFC Murphy wrote: »
    Are we one of the 5 :)

Yeah, this & NX/N11 were issued years ago.
    nct tester wrote: »
    Its Wills Bros. that are doing the balla by pass tho, no??

There are a lot of roadbridge foremen working the project.
    Barry23 wrote: »
    Roadbridge are not involved in that job and most definitely have all the required staff to start ASAP

For what I'm hearing from the guys working the N5, no they don't.

Ciaran Cannon had a tweet about the new Shannon Ryanair flights. i asked him about M18 and he said hopefully started mid next year with contracts signed before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

glineli wrote: »
    i asked him about M18 and he said hopefully started mid before the local elections next year with contracts signed before Christmas.
    FYP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

hearing contract to be signed before christmas, but no intention to start work until 2015

• Advertisement

Theres no way contracts will be signed before Christmas and work not start for 14 months plus, I understand work commences shortly after contract signing!

Advertisement