Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

misstiggie wrote: »
    And do you feel those at home would be considered before those who are abroad?[/FONT]

I don't know who'd be involved or what processes they'll use but I'd imagine to that anybody who can get to an interview and convince them they are good enough for the role will get a job.
    misstiggie wrote: »
    so he wishes to come home knowing he'll be taking a bigpay cut.

I'd advise your partner not to mention money at all or it could be counted against him as someone coming from a higher pay scale might be seen as a potential problem - i.e. start looking for more money etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Is this of any significance; or just auld spin. It's getting bloody hard to know with this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Is this of any significance; or just auld spin. It's getting bloody hard to know with this project.

What exactly?

Nope, there's €170m promised from the EIB for years. It's been mentioned more than a couple of dozen times in the thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

antoobrien wrote: »
    Nope, there's €170m promised from the EIB for years. It's been mentioned more than a couple of dozen times in the thread.

Well then it makes you wonder why/who in galwaynews.ie reckons its a news worthy announcement:confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Well then it makes you wonder why/who in galwaynews.ie reckons its a news worthy announcement:confused::confused:

Not just Galwaynews.ie - it was reported on Today FM news on Monday as if it a brand new pot of money that was being made available to fund our infastructure. I actually got excited until I checked what exactly they were referring to when I got home.

Somebody asked a question of one of the senior EIB officials, they parroted it, same as it was parroted last year coming up to the referendum.

It's in the connacht tribune group's interest to keep reporting these comments because if they don't they'll get stick for not keeping the people updated on the "news" - despite the fact that there is very little "new" in what was reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

So still no start date for this then?

So still no start date for this then?

No, but at a guess we'll see a contract within the next 3-4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Somebody asked a question of one of the senior EIB officials, they parroted it, same as it was parroted last year coming up to the referendum.
    Do you know for sure that someone asked a question?

I'm just asking because I'd guess it's more likely a (local(?) Fine Gael) press release. The same type Ryanair use to announce umpteen times how many planes they're buying ...

As in, this "A" debate we're currently having is knocking us a bit in the polls. But you know, we "fixshed the roads" (or are going to fix them).

• Advertisement

serfboard wrote: »

I'm just asking because I'd guess it's more likely a (local(?) Fine Gael) press release. The same type Ryanair use to announce umpteen times how many planes they're buying ...

That's the way I heard it reported on GBFM.
    As in, this "A" debate we're currently having is knocking us a bit in the polls. But you know, we "fixshed the roads" (or are going to fix them).

My take on why this got mentioned is that it's related to the fact that the NX/M11 project contract was due to be signed this week and they're keen to show a beginning to the end of cuts to the capital budget, which is already as bare as it can get. Take the set of announcements we have had this year:
    Seed capital for this project (€20m)
    N25 tender process start
    NX/N11 contract signed
    Reaffirmation of EIB funding for this.

The next concern (fairly valid) is that we have a limited pool of money and people will be wondering where the cash is coming from. Many people will be thinking "ah crap the that project starting means this one is not going to get started anytime soon." Hence, alongside the other announcement, we get this reminder that there is already a large portion of the funding available to the project (not forgetting that the land is bought and paid for).

I wouldn't put too much credence to the the debate theory because for every capital project announced they're going to get pilloried for wanting CPA2, or not employing more <insert hobby horse(s) of choice>. Or they're going to get asked why spend money on motorways when potholes .... If anything the announcement of 2 major capital projects starting in the same year runs the risk of getting them considerable flak because of the lack of local maintenance despite the high levels of motor tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Well they've proven they can raise PPP money for N7/11, so I think the chances of this getting off the ground just went up.

I found an article on the EIB website that specifically mentions this project (way down at the bottom).
    The EIB added that it has agreed in principle to fund the N17-18 Gort-Tuam link road. President Hoyer confirmed that it will now be considering applications for funding the N25 New Ross bypass and the M11 Gorey-Enniscorthy roads. These three projects are part of the Government’s stimulus package announced last year.

There's also an edited version of the press conference that the comments were made at and some statements available.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I found an article on the EIB website that specifically mentions this project (way down at the bottom).
    Thanks for that. I didn't doubt you, by the way ;)

I was wondering why this was getting announced again. From the article you quote:
    Minister Varadkar and President Hoyer reviewed the EIB’s involvement in transport infrastructure over recent years and today discussed the potential for EIB funding to assist with suitable future transport infrastructure projects.
    So it seems it was just the EIB touching base with us, and we trying to extract more money from them to fund the Luas Cross City.

As far as Gort-Tuam goes it was not new. And not newsworthy IMO, so GBFM shouldn't have broadcast something we already knew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Quickelles

As far as Gort-Tuam goes it was not new. And not newsworthy IMO, so GBFM shouldn't have broadcast something we already knew.

It is practice these days to announce every project numerous times over several years before they actually start one.

How often was NX/N11 announced? I lost count.

The N17 realignment at this bend

http://goo.gl/maps/dTmxy

Is complete and open. Can someone update OSM? I was going to but I don't know the classification of the old road. GPS trace is there.

The N17 realignment at this bend

http://goo.gl/maps/dTmxy

Is complete and open. Can someone update OSM? I was going to but I don't know the classification of the old road. GPS trace is there.

Odd..as you zoom in and out on OSM the new road variously appears, disappears or appears as "under construction"....it all depends on the way you look at it!

Ah... thats because the OSM maps render at different zoom levels at different times. Someone has switched it to open, and it has yet to render on certain levels.

Chris, where is that GPS trace? Its not showing when I download traces for that area. Did you upload it to OSM?

Looks like someone else has already updated it anyway based on the imagery showing the likely route

Quickelles, your browser could also be caching some of the older tiles. Try ctrl+f5 or shift+f5 to force refresh. Also, as Chris pointed out, different zoom levels have a different refresh rate. For example, level 18, the highest zoom, is rendered with up

Hmm... I presumed a trace was there because my GPS trace followed the 'under construction' bit perfectly! I'll try to remember to upload a trace tonight.

• Advertisement

Still the same; tried everything. Does the L6460 really intersect the new road like that?

It would have been better to leave the N17 as it was!

I was wondering why this was getting announced again.

It's an effort to remind us that the project is not being forgotten. You've seen the amount of times people come on here asking any news on....

Let's put it this way: although it's (very) old news to some of us, would you rather not hear anything at all or would you rather hear indications that thing are progressing?

Personally I'd like a bit more information, but this is better than having to write to the local TDs about it.

Quickelles wrote: »
    Still the same; tried everything. Does the L6460 really intersect the new road like that?

It would have been better to leave the N17 as it was!

I took a spin up that way today to get traces of the new roads and all the new junctions on to it. I'll update osm tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Any news regarding construction of this motorway? Even gossips would be welcome.
    After Newland Cross/M11 this is logically the next PPP to start. It would be nice if they start this year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Geogregor wrote: »
    Any news regarding construction of this motorway? Even gossips would be welcome.
    After Newland Cross/M11 this is logically the next PPP to start. It would be nice if they start this year.
    It is due to start by the end of the year, but start dates are unreliable in Ireland these days due to austerity.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Knowing several landowners affected by the project they are hearing nothing, talking to a friend who works for a company thats part of Roadbridge , he says that they are not interested, council website say they are in negoations with Roadbridge, gossip around Tuam hoping a start date towards end of this year, one of the above is true take your pick........

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

f2 wrote: »
    Knowing several landowners affected by the project they are hearing nothing, talking to a friend who works for a company thats part of Roadbridge , he says that they are not interested, council website say they are in negoations with Roadbridge, gossip around Tuam hoping a start date towards end of this year, one of the above is true take your pick........

Thanks, however it is frustrating lack of progress and clarity.

Geogregor wrote: »
    Thanks, however it is frustrating lack of progress and clarity.

Indeed, very.

We should ask that these negotiations be put on live webcam for exclusive viewing by the roads forum :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7 j123galway

Now looks like this project will not even have contracts signed until next year and will be subject to debt funding being arranged.

So nothing happening fast...and sounds like it could still fall through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

j123galway wrote: »
    Now looks like this project will not even have contracts signed until next year and will be subject to debt funding being arranged.

So nothing happening fast...and sounds like it could still fall through

Can you quote a reference/link to this news you seem to have?

Advertisement