Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

islanderre wrote: »
    Fair enough Spongebob; was hoping against hope that they were setting up shop and getting this project moving. Ah well, hopefully soon it will kick off in the near future
    Not till April 2013 I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭flazio

maps.osi.ie
    How long has it looked like this?
    Must say I'm a bit surprised that there doesn't appear to be any exit onto the old N6.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

OSI maps, digital and paper, have had the M18 down as finished but not much if any of the M17 in at all for about two years.

It has serious problems with how its put in, look at how local road realingments around that stretch are in in blue!

http://www.galwaynews.ie/27742-consortium-refuses-rule-out-legal-action-over-motorway-contract
    The building consortium originally awarded the contract to build the Gort to Tuam motorway has refused to rule out legal action over the project being given to another company.

There is intense speculation that legal proceedings will be issued against the National Roads Authority which could delay the construction of the M17/M18 motorway for several years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

pg633 wrote: »
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/27742-consortium-refuses-rule-out-legal-action-over-motorway-contract
    The building consortium originally awarded the contract to build the Gort to Tuam motorway has refused to rule out legal action over the project being given to another company.

There is intense speculation that legal proceedings will be issued against the National Roads Authority which could delay the construction of the M17/M18 motorway for several years.

Sure that's like a builder suing a homeowner who gives an extension job to someone else because the original builder didn't turn up - and after many a start date at that IMO. Surely the state as a consumer has rights - did the original consortium sign the contract? - I don't think so AFAIK. If there is a court case and the state wins, the original consortium should IMO be sued for loss of revenue (from economic spinoff) caused by the delay in providing the road.

Regards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

FFS. I hope to God this is only sabre rattling. We've waited long enough. BAM had their chance. Tried to play it smart and got thrown out. Drive on Direct Route.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Sure that's like a builder suing a homeowner who gives an extension job to someone else because the original builder didn't turn up - and after many a start date at that IMO. Surely the state as a consumer has rights - did the original consortium sign the contract? - I don't think so AFAIK. If there is a court case and the state wins, the original consortium should IMO be sued for loss of revenue (from economic spinoff) caused by the delay in providing the road.

Regards!

I thought the same, that the contract was never signed as they had funding issues. Surely there has to be a period of time when after this the contract offer is withdrawn.

Lets hope this is a non story!!

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

islanderre wrote: »
    Noticed about 2 miles Galway side of Abbeyknockmoy that what looks like a site office is been constructed by WILLS BROS. Perhaps this is connected with the M17-M18 new Road?????

Nothing to do with the M17/M18. The compound is for the realignment of the N63 at Abbeyknockmoy (1.5km) which Wills are starting ATM.

As for the Tender Process for the M17/18 it finished up as follows:
    1. BAM and friends
    2. Roadbridge and friends
    3. Wills and friends
    4. SIAC and friends

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I hope wills and siac sue the bam consortium for the money they wasted in tendering if bam do decide to try one on.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Has anyone heard any news on this project, talking to people on the ground it seems dead in the water?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,973 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

f2 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard any news on this project, talking to people on the ground it seems dead in the water?
    It can't be dead, but for undisclosed reasons it seems to be delayed.
    Funding was assured so it must be some legal or practicality tangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

f2 wrote: »

It's not supposed to start until sometime in 2013.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

antoobrien wrote: »
    It's not supposed to start until sometime in 2013.

A major raid on the Capital Budget to pay for over runs by the HSE has seemingly resulted in some 2012 Roads spending being pushed back to 2013 and this will quite likely result in Gort - Tuam being pushed back to a 2014 start I hear...and the Galway Outer Bypass to a 2017 start earlies EVEN if it clears the European Court.

If anyone knows a TD prepared to question Varadkar on his 'Capital Expenditure Profile (ie Intended) and The actual month to month outcomes for 2012 (to end september) they will find the data.

Start Here ( he was a tad ahead of profile at the end of June)

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/exchequerstatements/2012/analspendjune2012.pdf

Continue Here ( about on profile)

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/exchequerstatements/2012/analseptspend.pdf €431m in 9 months.

Then ask how he can explain being given €1,231m in December and making a song and dance about it here.

http://www.dttas.ie/pressRelease.aspx?Id=464

And then we find he seemingly only got €590m in 2012 ( NOT €1,231m) which is about where his profile points to. See below.

http://www.finance.gov.ie/documents/exchequerstatements/2012/analnotesep.pdf

And can he explain where the other €630m went to/is going to, ta! Some or indeed may be the '"existing level of financial commitments" payments referred to here but that is normally inside the profile and while we are at it ask for a breakdown of the €605.4m he was "precommitted" to spending in 2012 and what was spent where to end September....seeing as it is a large amount and all....and as to whether any savings were made there and what they were.

So really the question related to finding out how he spent/will spend the €1,231m seeing as the profile indicates he won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Thought this would be appropriate, dunno why....

8054814320_4664f9c3ce.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭veryangryman

yer man! wrote: »
    Thought this would be appropriate, dunno why....
    8054814320_4664f9c3ce.jpg
    Went by tuam yesterday and spotted some activity lights etc north of town. This part of the project

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

I could safely say you'd hear about it in the local news if the construction started, the connaught tribune of the sentinel will have it well covered.

yer man! wrote: »
    I could safely say you'd hear about it in the local news if the construction started, the connaught tribune of the sentinel will have it well covered.
    Thanks for reply. I am not from tuam so don't read their local press. Just went through it on a road trip and wondered what the road works really are. It really looks like the makings of a dual carriageway. Maybe the bypass itself is a seperately scheme? Can anyone confirm

Thanks for reply. I am not from tuam so don't read their local press. Just went through it on a road trip and wondered what the road works really are. It really looks like the makings of a dual carriageway. Maybe the bypass itself is a seperately scheme? Can anyone confirm

This if the Mayo side of tuam is just the removal of a bad bend by Wills, its about 1km long. Should be open soon if not already.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Pete2k

Ya most of the new stretch is now open. Just the bit nearest tuam from the old mill onwards left to go for the most part

When it's completed is there anyone out that way that could get a trace of the new alignment and update OSM. Even send me on the trace and I will do it

• Advertisement

It's being reported in the local press that a local quarry has been given planning permission to build and operate a temporary ashphalt batching plant for the shorter of 5 years/the lifetime of the M17/18 project.

Hopefully this means that the preparatory works are about to begin and the project will commence sometime early next year.
    Coshla Quarries have been given the green light to build a temporary ashphalt batching plant at its site in Athenry

County planners have granted permission for a period of five years or until the completion of the M17/M18 road projects or whichever comes first

The extent of the site within Coshla Quarries is .24 hectares in the townland of Barretspark, Cashla

General question. Was driving north to gort today. After motorway ends there is like 100m of more road complete with barrier. Why do contractors build these. Surely its unnecessary extra work... Certainly before the new section being built

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

General question. Was driving north to gort today. After motorway ends there is like 100m of more road complete with barrier. Why do contractors build these. Surely its unnecessary extra work... Certainly before the new section being built

Likely in their contract to do so. Similar stubs were built on M9 sections and older schemes before that (N4 DC in Sligo I think).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

MYOB wrote: »

Likely in their contract to do so. Similar stubs were built on M9 sections and older schemes before that (N4 DC in Sligo I think).

This is quite common with motorway projects. The M1 in Northern Ireland at Dungannon continued for a full mile west of its terminus before it was extended as the A4 Dungannon bypass 14 years later.

Many motorways in the UK have half built flyovers and stubs for extensions that were never built.

It's part of the contract or they builders won't get paid - they're not (supposed to be) charities.

I suspect that the reason that they are built is to have enough of the next portion built so that any disruption at the tie-in is minimised if/when construction of the next planned section happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Originally they were supposed to build only one roundabout at Gort (half of the junction) and it would have been an apalling mess of a tie-in when Gort - Tuam gets done. I'm delighted they built the full junction and a bit of extra road because now there will be near zero disruption. They even put up proper signs at the northern end of the Gort scheme that will just have to be uncovered when Gort - Tuam opens. Very rare you get forward planning like this here so its great!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 galway 4 sam

Anyone any update on when the M17 is starting. Last i heard was that it was due to start in Spring 2013. Thats unlikely know i would imagine?

Anyone any update on when the M17 is starting. Last i heard was that it was due to start in Spring 2013. Thats unlikely know i would imagine?
    Why is it unlikely?

Road from tuam to galway... Is that to be downgraded to regional once this road gets finished? With M17 tuam to oranmore the other road would need to be reassigned I guess

• Advertisement

Road from tuam to galway... Is that to be downgraded to regional once this road gets finished? With M17 tuam to oranmore the other road would need to be reassigned I guess

N17 & N18 will be redesignated as regional roads as they are being replaced as national routes.

Advertisement