Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭funnyname

Will they stick with the original route or will this be redrawn once it goes to retender?

Looking at the original route a junction between Gort and Ardarhan would be very useful and also one with the old Dublin road (r446)

I know these are short distances but there are precedents for these across the motorway network, see the M18 and M6

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

4. Restart the PPP roads programme by commencing work on the N7 (Newlands Cross), N11 (Rathnew) and N17/18 (Gort-Tuam) projects;

Item 4 on list.

Hope to God that Varadkar will push it on to construction this year

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

black47 wrote: »
    4. Restart the PPP roads programme by commencing work on the N7 (Newlands Cross), N11 (Rathnew) and N17/18 (Gort-Tuam) projects;

Item 4 on list.

Hope to God that Varadkar will push it on to construction this year

Link here

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Could go either way. It will experience difficulty getting funding but on the other hand Varadkar has a habit of deliberately setting low expectations.

Doubt it'll be rerouted, I think design and possibly even land acquisition has already been completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

spacetweek wrote: »
    Could go either way. It will experience difficulty getting funding but on the other hand Varadkar has a habit of deliberately setting low expectations.

Doubt it'll be rerouted, I think design and possibly even land acquisition has already been completed.

Well it's fenced off for quite a while now and full archaeological investigation is complete afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

yer man! wrote: »
    Well it's fenced off for quite a while now and full archaeological investigation is complete afaik.

Is all the route fenced?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Jack breen wrote: »
    Is all the route fenced?

Well I only know the Oranmore - Gort section is mostly fenced from what I can see from the roads in the area. You can see from some aerial maps on google, apple and osi that archaeological digs and land surveyed have been conducted, you can see trenches along parts of the proposed route.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

That was all fenced when this was still known as "N18 Oranmore (ha) to Gort". It was CPOed and fenced as the same time as the Crusheen to Gort scheme. Not sure about north of the M6/18/17 junction though.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Fencing is slower on the northern section. In fact, it's ongoing; I saw fencing being done at Annagh Hill (N63/R347) Junction just before xmas. It's sporadic from what I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

jenningso wrote: »
    Fencing is slower on the northern section. In fact, it's ongoing; I saw fencing being done at Annagh Hill (N63/R347) Junction just before xmas. It's sporadic from what I've seen.

That's being done a while here was a archaeological survey done about 18 months ago, they have also taken core sample in this area, about the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I hear there was traffic drama in Claregalway today with the pipe-laying roadworks having commenced. Reports of journeys between East of the City to Tuam taking up to 1 hour 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Fencing on the Athenry to Tuam section is only being done at the landowners request and then slowly, all the land has been bought and mostly paid for, there is no real activity on the scheme at the moment, even the landowners have no idea whats happening, I believe Roadbridge have got tired of waiting will it be retendered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Its approaching 13 years(this coming spring) since adjacent residents to the proposed M18 were furnished with a glossy handout promoting the preferred route!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Bit of a non story here but said i would post it up anyway

http://www.clare.fm/news/new-doubts-over-ennis-galway-motorway-plan

Fresh Doubts are being cast about progress on the next stage of the Ennis to Galway Motorway this year, despite commitments from government.

The Transport Minister has said he'll be restarting the Public Private Partnership Roads Porgramme this year by commencing works including the N17/N18 Gort to Tuam Motorway and the project is also part of the government's action plan on job creation.

But Gort Councillor Gerry Finnerty says locals aren't so sure the long awaited project will get started in 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭irishgeo

glineli wrote: »
    Bit of a non story here but said i would post it up anyway

http://www.clare.fm/news/new-doubts-over-ennis-galway-motorway-plan

Fresh Doubts are being cast about progress on the next stage of the Ennis to Galway Motorway this year, despite commitments from government.

The Transport Minister has said he'll be restarting the Public Private Partnership Roads Porgramme this year by commencing works including the N17/N18 Gort to Tuam Motorway and the project is also part of the government's action plan on job creation.

But Gort Councillor Gerry Finnerty says locals aren't so sure the long awaited project will get started in 2013

what do the locals know?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

irishgeo wrote: »
    what do the locals know?

The locals doubt it's going to go ahead because they're a skeptical bunch due to the amount of times ministers have said things will happen but nothing does.

I said it earlier in the thread (at the time of the announcement of "funding" last year) that I'll hold off on my enthusiasm until I see the project start.

Seed capital of €4.5m is due to be announced (today) to facilitate the construction of this road as part of the 2013 roads allocations to Galway.

link: http://www.galwaynews.ie/29921-18million-euro-galway-county-roads

I'll keep an eye on the DTTAS website for the full announcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack breen

antoobrien wrote: »
    Seed capital of €4.5m is due to be announced (today) to facilitate the construction of this road as part of the 2013 roads allocations to Galway.

Good news I suppose allthough 4.5 million wont do a lot. Why is there over a million allocated to the Gort bypasses when its built also for Ballinasloe and Loughrea?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I think those are retention payments, part of the contract. I dont think they are for any new work or anything.

Jack breen wrote: »
    Good news I suppose allthough 4.5 million wont do a lot. Why is there over a million allocated to the Gort bypasses when its built also for Ballinasloe and Loughrea?

Maintenance grants, outstanding capital payments etc, even the maintenance of the PPPs are part funded by local government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Maintenance grants, outstanding capital payments etc, even the maintenance of the PPPs are part funded by local government.

A silly question I know but €4.5 million amount to enough for the government's part of the PPP payment for 2013 to enable construction to begin?

black47 wrote: »
    A silly question I know but €4.5 million amount to enough for the government's part of the PPP payment for 2013 to enable construction to begin?

It is likely an allocation for accommodation works that have to be performed by Galway Co Co. They had allocations for that in the roads budgets in previous years.

There's been no further information on either the DTTAS or Galway CO Co websites. The gawlayindependent have a longer article with some more information on the projects being funded but nothing really substantive.

There is a comment from Ciaran Cannon that the speculation saying it will not go ahead is "not well founded".
    Commenting on the Gort-Tuam announcement, Minister of State Ciaran Cannon said the construction of the motorway remains a priority for the Government, and that rumours that the development might not go ahead are “not well founded”.

He added that the investment this year will allow the NRA to carry out certain preparatory works in anticipation of the final contract being awarded later this year or early next year.

He also said the funding announcement is a major milestone in the development and sends out a “very strong signal of intent” from the Government that the project will shortly become a reality.

“At this point in time, the NRA's energies are focused on furthering a project at Newlands Cross. Once that is underway I am confident that we will see things happening quite quickly on the western front,” he said.

Not strictly relevant to the thread but the the other projects mentioned are:
    N17 Carrownurlaur Realignment Scheme (between Milltown & Ballindine) has gotten 2.4m in funding
    Castletown Realignment Scheme got €1,020,000 (not sure but I think this is it)
    Clidfen-Oughterard scheme €1m
    Abbeyknockmoy €750k
    Gort-Crusheen bypass €1,119,455
    Galway - Ballinasloe €1,275,000 (says N6 so it could be motorway or the old road - god knows there are spots that need it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

Castletown Realignment Scheme got €1,020,000 (not sure but I think this is it)
    No - it's on the N17 just north of Tuam. It's finished and open now. In fairness, it got rid of a bad stretch of road, so it's quite good now between Tuam and Milltown. (Leaving aside the fact that just before Milltown you have to take care at certain times as there is a national school right beside the road :eek: )
    the final contract being awarded later this year or early next year.
    Yep. Can't see anything happening before then meself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

whats this bit here mentioned in the quoted article:
    "Gort-Crusheen bypass €1,119,455"

That part of the M18 is already built so is this repairs of the old road, the new road, a new junction or an improvement of the tie in at Gort at the end of the Crusheen-Gort road?

whats this bit here mentioned in the quoted article:
    "Gort-Crusheen bypass €1,119,455"

That part of the M18 is already built so is this repairs of the old road, the new road, a new junction or an improvement of the tie in at Gort at the end of the Crusheen-Gort road?

I refer you to post #1250 & 1251.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭buzz_E

I didn"t read the forum complete pages but Does any1 knows when is the construction starting? which company did got the job to do?

buzz_E wrote: »
    I didn"t read the forum complete pages but Does any1 knows when is the construction starting?

Looks like you didn't even read this page either because the answer to your first question is bloodly obvious - no we don't know when it will be starting.

There's a start dates thread in the roads forum proper - it'd be in there if there was a date announced to save trawling through threads again.
    which company did got the job to do?

BAM won the tender, but it's there have been newspaper articles indicating that because they haven't been able to raise funds that it's been given to Roadbridge (2nd preferred bidder) but I don't think that has ever been confirmed by the NRA/department.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭buzz_E

Looks like you didn't even read this page

as i said on my first post, I DID NOT read all the post. dont be cranky

• Advertisement

as i said on my first post, I DID NOT read all the post. dont be cranky

If you don't want to get your head bitten off in future I suggest that you read at least the contents of the page you are posting to (default page is 15 posts).

We're not exactly tolerant of such laziness here - especially when the answer has been bolded the the third last post of the page.

Advertisement