Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Its not done and covered but all the bridges are wide enough and its generally wide median.

Edit: That one does look tight, is that east or west of Rathmorrisey?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Its not done and covered but all the bridges are wide enough and its generally wide median.

Edit: That one does look tight, is that east or west of Rathmorrisey?

That's the central bridge carrying the M18/M17.

sdanseo wrote: »
    That's the central bridge carrying the M18/M17.
    If the M6 west was widened, it wouldn't affect that bridge as the third lanes would end at the junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

If the M6 west was widened, it wouldn't affect that bridge as the third lanes would end at the junction.

In the near future - but the road will be there in 50 years and Galway could be twice the size or more by then.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The widened M6 would begin with a lane gain at the westbound on ramps at Rathmorrissey. It would remain 2 lanes under the Rathmorrissey junction itself.

I'm not sure if the 3 lane reservation continues all the way to the Coolagh roundabout as the plan at the time was for the Galway bypass to split off before then (hence why the motorway restrictions end at J19)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

RATHMORRISSY 01/03/16IMAG2788_zpstqh0jp6l.jpg01/09/17IMAG4699_zpsyj8co0te.jpg

The marker signs on the tuam bypass 03/09/17IMAG2125_zpssfmdttch.jpg2IMAG2118_zpsmyahrins.jpg3IMAG2276_zpsivntovex.jpgif the guys form rennicks are following this forum you might went swap signs 2 and 3

The m18 at coldwood 03/06/162017-09-03_11-23-18_zpssst4bgfa.jpg03/09/17IMAG2103_zpsx2zbfj9m.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Was out for a cycle on the old Dublin road from Galway this morning and passed over the motorway before Craughwell. Great looking job, surface looks great - looking forward to cycling the length of it next Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

What time is the cycle next Sunday the 10th of September?

Question for you all: is Junction 20 and all the other junctions above Junction 20 Grade separated?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

No replay so date of opening not relevant from that point of view!!

paul2013 wrote: »
    What time is the cycle next Sunday the 10th of September?

The cycle will roll out from Tuam at 09:30.

https://www.iregister.ie/v2/events/great-western-motorway-cycle/

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

I'm in Galway city now for the homecoming, but I'd like to point out that they should really have opened the Gort to Tuam bypass this evening to ease congestion in Galway city and this would be just for this day only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭muddle84

paul2013 wrote: »
    I'm in Galway city now for the homecoming, but I'd like to point out that they should really have opened the Gort to Tuam bypass this evening to ease congestion in Galway city and this would be just for this day only.
    Would the bypass be any help to congestion in the city today though considering everybody will be heading for Pearse stadium. Would the by pass be any help to that traffic?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Looking forward to travelling the new road on my next trip to Galway.

From my reading of it though, to leave the motorway at the new junction north of Ardrahan and continue along the old road at 80km/h, you'd make Galway at the same time as staying on the motorway doing 120km/h.

Certainly would be a temptation off-peak anyway to save fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Quackster wrote: »
    Looking forward to travelling the new road on my next trip to Galway.

From my reading of it though, to leave the motorway at the new junction north of Ardrahan and continue along the old road at 80km/h, you'd make Galway at the same time as staying on the motorway doing 120km/h.

Certainly would be a temptation off-peak anyway to save fuel.

I fear that a lot of people will do this during busy periods as well, and that the existing Ardrahan to Galway road will remain busy....especially given the delays that may happen when all the southern and eastern traffic enter Galway via that silly round-around

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

muddle84 wrote: »
    Would the bypass be any help to congestion in the city today though considering everybody will be heading for Pearse stadium. Would the by pass be any help to that traffic?

Nope. Too far away. Its hardly a bypass anyway. More a long distance route

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's not a bypass for anywhere in the city whatsoever, people using the N6, Headford road, R338, they won't be affected by the road whatsoever. If anything it'll push more traffic onto the N6.

The tuam bypass 04/09/17IMAG2224_zpszlwerrv3.jpg2IMAG2062_zpsjlxvecro.jpg3IMAG2152_zpsbvplmsc4.jpg4IMAG2220_zpsz44z89wm.jpg23 days left to opening it's getting close now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Came across this. Hopefully our bridges were built to a better standard.

427056.jpg

• Advertisement

Nothing wrong with that, there's space for a third beam for a future extra lane (or two) on the deck later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Nothing wrong with that, there's space for a third beam for a future extra lane (or two) on the deck later.

That's what I was thinking - the Russians also tend to build oversized bridge abutments for future expansion on certain new highways.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Charlie Charolais

what speed limit is on the "roundabout" at rathmorrissey?

What is the speed limit on the Tuam bypass?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭muddle84

J o e wrote: »
    What is the speed limit on the Tuam bypass?
    Its a dual carriage way so it will be 100km/hr

muddle84 wrote: »
    Its a dual carriage way so it will be 100km/hr

There are dual carriageways around Galway City that are 50km/hr, that's why I was checking.

Sorted - found a 100km/hr sign in these photos...
    m17 wrote: »
    A few pics of the tuam bypass 20/08/17https://goo.gl/photos/jjYZL7kFQ8cJkjkf9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

J o e wrote: »
    There are dual carriageways around Galway City that are 50km/hr, that's why I was checking.

Because of pedestrian footpaths on each side.

what speed limit is on the "roundabout" at rathmorrissey?

2017-08-25_01-58-52_zps0uic1ckc.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

FatherTed wrote: »
    Why is Baile Chlair only as gaeilge and not english as well?
    cocoman wrote: »
    Officially Claregalway is in the Gaeltacht so must be in Irish only.

And why does it not include "Gaillimh" in its name?
    Baile Chlair = Clare Town!

Advertisement