Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

Sell the 'thrown out' signs to us on this thread. I'd pay €20 for one of them.
    when they replaced the N6 signs between Athlone and Kinnegad with motorway signs, I saw some of the old ones at Hammond lane in Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

They really need to hurry up and build a motorway from Limerick to Cork. Two of the country's major cities and no proper road linking the two is scandalous.
    Amen to that

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

After catching a European citizen doing 140km/h on the Athlone Bypass, Why is the Athlone Bypass not a Motorway?:cool:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

For anyone who took paul2013's post with a pinch of salt, the M18 northbound will be closed from J15 Crusheen to J16 Gort from 12:01am on Monday 18th to 6am on Friday 22nd. Diversions in place via R458/old N18.

https://www.clarecoco.ie/roads-and-transport/news/proposed-temporary-closing-of-road-m18-northbound-carriageway-junction-15-to-junction-16-18-09-2017-22-09-2017.html

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

paul2013 wrote: »
    After catching a European citizen doing 140km/h on the Athlone Bypass, Why is the Athlone Bypass not a Motorway?:cool:

The corners at both ends are too sharp, the hard shoulder isn't wide enough and there are too many junctions.

It was opened as far back as 1991, and wasn't designed as anything other than a (fairly cheap) HQDC.

The best solution would be to reroute the M6 south of Athlone, shaving a couple of KMs off the joueney at the same time.
    The existing bypass would be retained as a distributor road for the town.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Sorry if that's off-topic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The corners at both ends are too sharp, the hard shoulder isn't wide enough and there are too many junctions.

It was opened as far back as 1991, and wasn't designed as anything other than a (fairly cheap) HQDC.

The best solution would be to reroute the M6 south of Athlone, shaving a couple of KMs off the joueney at the same time.
    The existing bypass would be retained as a distributor road for the town.

paul2013, there's your explanation, thanks BelfastVanMan.

Please, no further discussion of the Athlone bypass or the M6 bar the relevant parts to this scheme on thread. /MOD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

Bye bye Tuam, it was fun knowing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

gally74 wrote: »
    Bye bye Tuam, it was fun knowing you.

Good riddance indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

The turn back signs now in place at annagh hill 31/08/17IMAG2236_zpsjennngwo.jpgshouldn't that sign have a blue background

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

m17 wrote: »
    The turn back signs now in place at annagh hill 31/08/17IMAG2236_zpsjennngwo.jpgshouldn't that sign have a blue background

I think that if you are reading that sign, the colour is the least of your problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Markiemarkso

m17 wrote: »

I wouldn't have though so, but surely those no entry signs should be a red circle with a white line through it. Those ones were discontinued a few years ago and replaced with what they use in UK and mainland Europe as no entry signs.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

I think that if you are reading that sign, the colour is the least of your problems.

:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

I wouldn't have though so, but surely those no entry signs should be a red circle with a white line through it. Those ones were discontinued a few years ago and replaced with what they use in UK and mainland Europe as no entry signs.
    Good point, as I wonder if it is foreign visitors who are the most likely to be in that situation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

plodder wrote: »
    Good point, as I wonder if it is foreign visitors who are the most likely to be in that situation.

Given that to be reading that sign, you have already travelled many Kms on the motorway. I think it is unlikely many will be in that position, but even one is a horror situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭serfboard

plodder wrote: »
    Given what happened on the Ennis bypass, the answer to your question is no. Cases of wrong-way driving were exclusively domestic IIRC.

The m18 at kiltartan/raheen looking towards gort 31/08/17IMAG2259_zpsbincbmne.jpgkiltartan/raheen looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2260_zpslbiru6p8.jpgthey have one weeks work left the m18 lagans have 2 kms of line painting left also a few cats eyes and put up that gantry sign at junction 16 southbound lane and that's it roll on the 27th of September

The m17 at kileelaun looking towards tuam 06/06/17IMAG3699_zpsmeqgzlnn.jpg

The m18 at owenbristy looking towards rathmorrissy 31/08/17IMAG2266_zpsjglby2ed.jpgowenbristy looking towards gortIMAG2265_zpsrxf7mzns.jpgballymaquiff looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2264_zps05lifpgj.jpgballymaquiff looking towards gortIMAG2263_zpsudevgqdh.jpgraheen/kilkelly looking towards rathmorrissyIMAG2262_zps8eo5qsop.jpgraheen/kilkelly looking towards gortIMAG2261_zpsesdnyiyl.jpg

More signs for Hammond lane, I suppose, clearly someone forgot to upgrade the specifications when the signs were revamped a few years ago, same with some of the lighting not being LED.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Those turn back signs are all sorts of wrong.

Should be Neon Yellow to attract attention.
    Should be the universal (except Ireland) No Entry symbol.
    Gailege should come first.

Someone was asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

sdanseo wrote: »
    Those turn back signs are all sorts of wrong.

Should be Neon Yellow to attract attention.
    Should be the universal (except Ireland) No Entry symbol.
    Gailege should come first.

Someone was asleep.

Only Advance Warning Signs are yellow, this is a Regulatory Sign.

The red circle with white line (RUS 050) was not a replacement for the no entry (RUS 011) as both signs are still in the Traffic Signs Manual. A regulatory sign comes into effect at the exact spot it is located at, so if you are as far as the above signs, you have already passed the no entry point, so no straight ahead is correct. The newer no entry would be incorrect as it is located halfway down the on ramp.
    As for Irish first, that only applies to Directional Signs, the top of the sign is the first place most people see, so English there is better.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Only Advance Warning Signs are yellow, this is a Regulatory Sign.

The red circle with white line (RUS 050) was not a replacement for the no entry (RUS 011) as both signs are still in the Traffic Signs Manual. A regulatory sign comes into effect at the exact spot it is located at, so if you are as far as the above signs, you have already passed the no entry point, so no straight ahead is correct. The newer no entry would be incorrect as it is located halfway down the on ramp.
    As for Irish first, that only applies to Directional Signs, the top of the sign is the first place most people see, so English there is better.
    If a driver doesn’t recognise a No Entry sign, they shouldn't be driving!

If a driver doesn’t recognise a No Entry sign, they shouldn't be driving!

They shouldn't be driving at all if they need a sign to tell them not to enter, but that's the reality of the standard of drivers out there.

Perhaps m17 might have a photo, but at the top of that on ramp past the No Straight Ahead sign, there will be 2 Yield signs. On the back of those Yields, there should be the new No Entry sign ie at the point of no entry.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    Perhaps m17 might have a photo, but at the top of that on ramp past the No Straight Ahead sign, there will be 2 Yield signs. On the back of those Yields, there should be the new No Entry sign ie at the point of no entry.
    Hopefully, that's the case and these signs are just a final warning before you meet vehicles approaching at high speed.

marno21 wrote: »
    For anyone who took paul2013's post with a pinch of salt, the M18 northbound will be closed from J15 Crusheen to J16 Gort from 12:01am on Monday 18th to 6am on Friday 22nd. Diversions in place via R458/old N18.

https://www.clarecoco.ie/roads-and-transport/news/proposed-temporary-closing-of-road-m18-northbound-carriageway-junction-15-to-junction-16-18-09-2017-22-09-2017.html

What's this supposed to mean? This is what we all got through our Email address that morning and I published it here to tell you all. It was from the TII. Clare Co Co , Limerick City and County Council and Galway Co Co have it all published too on their websites

paul2013 wrote: »
    What's this supposed to mean? This is what we all got through our Email address that morning and I published it here to tell you all. It was from the TII. Clare Co Co , Limerick City and County Council and Galway Co Co have it all published too on their websites
    When stuff is posted around here; we usually include a source to back it up. I was posting a source to the information to back it up.

marno21 wrote: »
    When stuff is posted around here; we usually include a source to back it up. I was posting a source to the information to back it up.

Apologies, I just was publishing an email I received as I'm a Garda and it was delivered to our email accounts, I didn't know I had to reference where I received my information

• Advertisement

The m17 1km form annagh hill 28/05/162017-08-13_06-40-01_zpsaljnz0zm.jpg01/09/17IMAG2242_zpsesyofnxp.jpg

Advertisement