Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

marno21 wrote: »
    Less than 100, I think the N4 approach to Sligo is ok for now ;)

Claremorris - Knock will be a cheap upgrade, the other 80/85km will be the major stumbling block.

The Limerick-Sligo trip has seen some change since this time 20 years ago. Limerick itself, Shannon, Newmarket on Fergus, Clarecastle, Ennis, Barefield, Crusheen, Gort, Ardrahan, Labane, Kilcolgan, Clarinbridge, Oranmore, Claregalway, Tuam, Claremorris, Knock, Collooney, Ballisodare and Sligo itself all bypassed.
    Certainly has. And from Cork don't forget Patrickswell and though a nice little place Croom. HGVs must have loved that right angle turn though Croom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

flazio wrote: »
    The sensible thing to do in my opinion is signpost exit 19 as the route to Parkmore and work the light sequences at Carnmore cross and the top of road into Parkmore in favour of traffic coming from that direction.

The problem here is you have a lot of traffic coming out of Parkmore too with the change of night/day shifts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

m17 wrote: »
    After 2 and half years of hard work a man is entitled to a morning off,I just hope that future road forums will be as good as this one

You've set a gold standard so that will be quite an achievement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Annagh hillIMAG4866_zpsuf0asrc1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Fantastic news!! It will be open just in time for the All-Ireland Hurling/Football final replay on September 30th!!

@M17: you never told us this opening - you're slipping up!! biggrin.png I'm joking!!
    After 2 and half years of hard work a man is entitled to a morning off,I just hope that future road forums will be as good as this one

biggrin.png I'm joking!!

• Advertisement

The m17 1km form tuam 29/02/162017-08-29_03-52-14_zps28307olj.jpg29/08/17IMAG1831_zpso6aenz0f.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭paul2013

Got GOOD News for you all and BAD news as well. Will inform you all later on this evening when I'm off duty.

paul2013 wrote: »
    Got GOOD News for you all and BAD news as well. Will inform you all later on this evening when I'm off duty.

Iet me guess,motorway opening 27th of September,ennis to athenry railway line closing

Benbecul97 wrote: »
    Couldn't be having cloverleaf interchanges here - we like out roundabouts too much!:D
    Give me roundabouts over traffic lights on light to moderately used junctions any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Iet me guess,motorway opening 27th of September,ennis to athenry railway line closing

Thats the good news, whats the bad??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

September 27th is a Wednesday - isn't it the case that they usually open motorways on a Friday (i.e. the 29th)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

flazio wrote: »
    The sensible thing to do in my opinion is signpost exit 19 as the route to Parkmore and work the light sequences at Carnmore cross and the top of road into Parkmore in favour of traffic coming from that direction.
    This will definitely not happen due to the large numbers of cars coming into Galway along the Monivea road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭youngblood

Is that going into gort? Hurray!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

serfboard wrote: »
    September 27th is a Wednesday - isn't it the case that they usually open motorways on a Friday (i.e. the 29th)?

It'd be more beneficial to open it on a Wednesday rather than having the Friday rush - would be my take on it anyway.
    serfboard wrote: »
    This will definitely not happen due to the large numbers of cars coming into Galway along the Monivea road.

Even without altering the signal sequence, it may still be an option for traffic rather than getting stuck at the Coolagh roundabout and the Briarhill junction.
    youngblood wrote: »
    Is that going into gort? Hurray!

No, thankfully it's going around Gort so N18 & (what was the) N66 traffic can now use the M18 and M6 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭barry181091

Will this road have any benefit for driving from Cork to Galway and visa-versa? I can't figure it out really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Jaysus the suspense is killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

Will this road have any benefit for driving from Cork to Galway and visa-versa? I can't figure it out really!

Yup at the moment going to Cork to Galway you get as far as Gort and then have to travel back roads for about a half hour if i remember rightly. Now we will have motorway the whole way. We will tie in with the Dublin road and then travel into Galway from there

** by the whole way I mean whole way from Patrickswell to Galway. We still have the gaping hole between patrickswell and Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

rounders wrote: »
    Yup at the moment going to Cork to Galway you get as far as Gort and then have to travel back roads for about a half hour if i remember rightly. Now we will have motorway the whole way. We will tie in with the Dublin road and then travel into Galway from there

** by the whole way I mean whole way from Patrickswell to Galway. We still have the gaping hole between patrickswell and Cork

They really need to hurry up and build a motorway from Limerick to Cork. Two of the country's major cities and no proper road linking the two is scandalous.

GOOD NEWS!!

Proposed temporary closing of road - M18 Northbound Carriageway (Junction 15 to Junction 16) 18/09/2017-22/09/2017

Date issued: 29/08/17
    Notice is hereby given in accordance with Section 75 of the Roads Act 1993 of Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) intention to temporarily close the following road to facilitate the completion of tie-in works including the removal of temporary vehicle restraint barrier and installation of permanent road markings and signage at Gort Interchange in preparation for the M17/M18 Gort to Tuam Motorway opening.
    Road to be closed:

M18 Northbound Carriageway from Junction 15 Crusheen to Junction 16 Gort
    Date and time of closure:

• Monday 18th September 2017 from 00.01 – Friday 22nd September 2017 at 06.00 24 hour closure

Alternative routes / diversion:

From Crusheen (M18 Junction 15) via the R458 to Gort (M18 Junction 16)
    Observations / representations may be made in writing before Friday 1st September 2017to the:

Administrative Officer,
    Roads and Transportation Department,
    Transport Infrastructure Ireland
    Parkgate Business Centre,
    Parkgate Street,
    Dublin 8,
    D08 DK10,
    Ireland,
    Tel: +353 1 6463600
    info@tii.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,134 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Well no that won't be happening

• Advertisement

BAD NEWS...

The TII have also started looking at the Mistakes they have made on the Marker Posts on all the M18/N18 Dual Carriageway. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

BAD NEWS...

The TII have also started looking at the Mistakes they have made on the Marker Posts on all the M18/N18 Dual Carriageway. :rolleyes:

The whole N18 down to Limerick? Do we have this on good authority? They have time to fix it before the end of September! ;^)

BAD NEWS...

They must be following this forum,this is the last sign on the m18 it should say 0.5 and the one at rossbrien in Limerick which is now saying 100 will be 91.52017-08-25_09-19-42_zpsxfekcdc6.jpgwhen they're finished with the m18 they might want to fix the marker sign on the tuam bypass the second sign should say 29IMAG2125_zpsp6rzmtrg.jpg2IMAG2118_zpsxupcuids.jpgthey tii must have money to burn

They must be following this forum,this is the last sign on the m18 it should say 0.5 and the one at rossbrien in Limerick which is now saying 100 will be 91.52017-08-25_09-19-42_zpsxfekcdc6.jpgwhen they're finished with the m18 they might want to fix the marker sign on the tuam bypass the second sign should say 29IMAG2125_zpsp6rzmtrg.jpg2IMAG2118_zpsxupcuids.jpgthey tii must have money to burn

Costs of incorrect signage along the route lies with DirectRoute who have responsibility for the signage

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Little Mc

marno21 wrote: »
    Costs of incorrect signage along the route lies with DirectRoute who have responsibility for the signage

Not necessarily, if there is a 100km sign in Limerick as stated a few posts above (and signs derived from that all along the existing route) when the actual distance (when the M18 opens) is only 90km then it would appear to be a systemic error outside the Contractor's control.

Little Mc wrote: »
    Not necessarily, if there is a 100km sign in Limerick as stated a few posts above (and signs derived from that all along the existing route) when the actual distance (when the M18 opens) is only 90km then it would appear to be a systemic error outside the Contractor's control.

I was on about the signs on the Tuam bypass m17 mentioned.

The signs on the N18 all the way to Limerick can be shifted 10km and 40 new ones got. The ones on the Limerick side will go to waste alright but that's just life.

RATHMORRISSY 20/06/162017-08-29_08-57-54_zpskhzsdlh7.jpg29/08/172017-08-25_02-03-59_zpsepg6fo67.jpg29/06/162017-08-29_08-56-44_zpsu9g5jydb.jpg29/08/17IMAG2175_zps0nfanezb.jpg

M18 junction17 kiltiernan 10/08/172017-08-30_03-15-24_zpsvxro5mpn.jpg

The slip road at annagh hill 30/06/172017-08-30_07-41-39_zpspoofaln4.jpg8 weeks later sign changed again 30/08/172017-08-30_07-42-12_zpsxm1go261.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Sell the 'thrown out' signs to us on this thread. I'd pay €20 for one of them.

Advertisement