Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

From the front page of the Q2 2016 newsletter.

Further to some queries we have received recently we would like to confirm that the full scheme, including the Tuam Bypass, will open at the same time in early 2018. There is no phased opening and the works throughout the project are scheduled out accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

Brockagh corofin 08/07/16

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

m17 wrote: »
    Brockagh corofin 08/07/16

I guess that section is safe from the jack hammer - going by Robert Lally's latest video, there's no sign of either tarmac laying or breaking along the M17 - some fairly fresh tarmac though on the southbound side around the general Corofin area. We should know the situation fairly soon I'd imagine...

Middle Man wrote: »
    I guess that section is safe from the jack hammer - going by Robert Lally's latest video, there's no sign of either tarmac laying or breaking along the M17 - some fairly fresh tarmac though on the southbound side around the general Corofin area. We should know the situation fairly soon I'd imagine...

Sorry guys but I been fed false information about the tarmac been pulled up it's all systems go they have now layed 2kms of the jersey barrier, yours m17

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Are any of ye familiar with the road that is just before Kiltiernan national school? It's on the right if you're going Galway to Gort direction.

Will you have to come off the motorway at the roundabout and go back on yourself to get to it? That's the way we always went to get to our granny but it might just be quicker to stay on the motorway now and go to Labane instead.

• Advertisement

The townland of castlelambert pic 1 looking towards rathmorrisy pic2 looking towards tuam pic3 top of the flyover 08/07/16

The tuam bypass 09/07/16 pic1 weir road pic2,3,4 ballygaddy road started work on the flyover pic5 top of the flyover at kilcloghans

More pics of the jersey barrier at brockagh corofin 09/07/16

• Registered Users Posts: 18,111 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

From the front page of the Q2 2016 newsletter.

Further to some queries we have received recently we would like to confirm that the full scheme, including the Tuam Bypass, will open at the same time in early 2018. There is no phased opening and the works throughout the project are scheduled out accordingly.

Should this challenge to this here gospel not be punished?

The m17 at annagh hill 10/07/16 pic1 looking towards rathmorrisy pic2 looking towards tuam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Gaffs89

Of course they will keep saying there will be no phased opening, but in a years time when one half is finished and ready to go, try telling the local politicians that it's going to be another year etc. The pressure will come on to open it that's when you'll see the change in policy.

Gaffs89 wrote: »
    Of course they will keep saying there will be no phased opening, but in a years time when one half is finished and ready to go, try telling the local politicians that it's going to be another year etc. The pressure will come on to open it that's when you'll see the change in policy.

Just have a look at the drone video posted recently. There's plenty of sections of the M17 and Tuam bypass months behind the the rest. Once the structures are finished on the M18 section the road can be laid very quickly as seen by the pics of the M17.

Just have a look at the drone video posted recently. There's plenty of sections of the M17 and Tuam bypass months behind the the rest. Once the structures are finished on the M18 section the road can be laid very quickly as seen by the pics of the M17.

Take a look form kilternan to gort, it's miles behind the rest of the project,it's like a war zone also there's a big difference between roadbridge and langans

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

If they had planned so at the beginning, the best element of this scheme to open early would be the Tuam bypass, seeing as it's standalone, but it's as far away from opening as the rest of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Take a look form kilternan to gort, it's miles behind the rest of the project,it's like a war zone also there's a big difference between roadbridge and langans

They still have all of 2017 left ta Finnish ya swear they are behind schedule and Roadbridge in such a rush and now nowhere for them to keep there plant moving .

Strange, considering it will probably be the most utilised section of the route.

busyatwork wrote: »
    They still have all of 2017 left ta Finnish ya swear they are behind schedule and Roadbridge in such a rush and now nowhere for them to keep there plant moving .

Someone's spent too Much time commenting on FB!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭busyatwork

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Someone's spent too Much time commenting on FB!

I don't get what ur on about ???Did you understand my post or is it not clearly written

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

The flyover at kiltiernan is now open but there is only a roundabout on the Galway side.

I take it there will be a roundabout on the side, it is a very bendy bit of road that side

Bauilphuil corofin pic1 12/06/15 pic2 12/07/16

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

marno21 wrote: »
    If they had planned so at the beginning, the best element of this scheme to open early would be the Tuam bypass, seeing as it's standalone, but it's as far away from opening as the rest of the scheme.
    You could actually open 4 sections:

1. Tuam Bypass.
    2. Gort to Kiltiernan.
    3. Kiltiernan to Rathmorrissey.
    4. Annagh Hill to Rathmorrissey.

The section around Corofin is so far ahead of the rest of the scheme it gives an unrealistic picture of the state of completeness of the whole scheme - or even of any possible standalone sections.

For now, I still think that a phased opening is unlikely.

The 2nd flyover over the m18 at rinn will open Friday 15/07/16

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

serfboard wrote: »
    You could actually open 4 sections:

1. Tuam Bypass.
    2. Gort to Kiltiernan.
    3. Kiltiernan to Rathmorrissey.
    4. Annagh Hill to Rathmorrissey.

The section around Corofin is so far ahead of the rest of the scheme it gives an unrealistic picture of the state of completeness of the whole scheme - or even of any possible standalone sections.

For now, I still think that a phased opening is unlikely.

True, a phased opening is probably out of the question now. On the other hand though, we are now halfway through the project so a full opening isn't actually too far away.

It's a pity Roadbridge aren't a much bigger entity who could do the whole project. We'd be driving on it next week if so

There 18 months in this project here's a look so farhttp://goo.gl/photos/GcmPtgMDZnxU4LrW9

Tuam bypass one year ahead of schedulehttp://connachttribune.ie/tuam-bypass-one-year-ahead-of-schedule-766/now for ya, it will open in sections,tuam bypass june 17

Tuam bypass one year ahead of schedulehttp://connachttribune.ie/tuam-bypass-one-year-ahead-of-schedule-766/now for ya, it will open in sections,tuam bypass june 17

I'll believe the main contractor before I believe any local councillor.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

Corofin section well advanced, bog sections nearer Tuam still sinking, it will be next Jan/Feb. before work on the final surfaces can commence

f2 wrote: »
    Corofin section well advanced, bog sections nearer Tuam still sinking, it will be next Jan/Feb. before work on the final surfaces can commence

Don't underestimate bogs they can't be trusted

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I have to make a trip to Mayo, from Dublin, in a few weeks and I thought of this planned road. I wonder when it opens (obviously not in time for my trip) will it be faster for me to reach Castlebar via the M6/M17/N60 rather than the N5? The N17 between Tuam and Claremorris looks to be a very good quality single carriageway route, better than many N primary roads around the country. Or is the N60 terrible? could any of you locals estimate the journey time difference?

• Advertisement

cgcsb wrote: »
    I have to make a trip to Mayo, from Dublin, in a few weeks and I thought of this planned road. I wonder when it opens (obviously not in time for my trip) will it be faster for me to reach Castlebar via the M6/M17/N60 rather than the N5? The N17 between Tuam and Claremorris looks to be a very good quality single carriageway route, better than many N primary roads around the country. Or is the N60 terrible? could any of you locals estimate the journey time difference?

You'll save 20 mins by going the m17,the n60 is like the n17,it will take you 2 hrs 35 mins

Advertisement