Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

m17 wrote: »
    The m17 outside corofin the most advanced section 02/07/16

IS it north or south of this section

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

f2 wrote: »
    IS it north or south of this section

It's to the north of this section,this is where roadbridge take over form sisk

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

I am very surprised to hear that they are planning to take out 6.2kms of Tarmac. That's over 120,000 metres squared per layer. Assuming there is base and binder down at this stage this is over 2 million euro worth of time and materials let alone the cost to the programme. Then factor in DBM and subsurface get layers. Central median barrier and slot drainage will also be affected at that rate of going. I really don't think they will have laid over 6kms without the error showing up at this stage. Daily level checks should have this found out long ago even if there was a serious error with a benchmark or PGM. Quality control would not allow you to lay that much surfacing without it being passed off.

Allowing for tolerances of the finished surface and to suit the horizontal and vertical design alignment to ensure its with design levels and in line with the DMRB a re-design of the road layout would be done to cater for the new levels.

Up in the Sisk section they are taking out CL 804 (south of the N63) and relaying it due to issues with the levels but serious and all as it is it's extremely minor compared to the talk of having to relay 6.2km. I personally don't believe that could be the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

Ascii wrote: »
    I am very surprised to hear that they are planning to take out 6.2kms of Tarmac. That's over 120,000 metres squared per layer. Assuming there is base and binder down at this stage this is over 2 million euro worth of time and materials let alone the cost to the programme. Then factor in DBM and subsurface get layers. Central median barrier and slot drainage will also be affected at that rate of going. I really don't think they will have laid over 6kms without the error showing up at this stage. Daily level checks should have this found out long ago even if there was a serious error with a benchmark or PGM. Quality control would not allow you to lay that much surfacing without it being passed off.

Allowing for tolerances of the finished surface and to suit the horizontal and vertical design alignment to ensure its with design levels and in line with the DMRB a re-design of the road layout would be done to cater for the new levels.

Up in the Sisk section they are taking out CL 804 (south of the N63) and relaying it due to issues with the levels but serious and all as it is it's extremely minor compared to the talk of having to relay 6.2km. I personally don't believe that could be the case.

Agreed...

I seriously can't understand how the tarmac laying would get so far without an error regarding levels being realised - we have GPS now, so such a mistake should be less likely to occur. Perhaps its 6.2km of machine laid tarmac strips - there appears to be 4 across the mainline width. Perhaps it's 6200sq.m being misinterpreted by the person that told M17. A couple of days after the revelation, photos uploaded by M17 appeared to show active tarmac laying in the Corofin area - perhaps the magnitude of the error is one of the above.

BTW, many thanks to M17 for all the photos - wonder if Robert Lally is planning any more drone footage of the RoadBrigde section - his videos were really enjoyable to watch. We'd surely be lost without M17 now...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭f2

It's to the north of this section,this is where roadbridge take over form sisk

Like the rest of you I also find it hard to believe 6.2 km of tarmac has to come uo, also I havent heard mention of it anywhere except this thread::

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

The kilternan flyover will open on Monday 04/07/16,the first on the m18

Not open yet after just passing through

glineli wrote: »
    Not open yet after just passing through

It's been delayed for a few days they have a small bit of tarmac to do on the galway side,I passed there hoping to get a few pics

The m17 in the townland of laraghmore 04/07/16 pic1 looking towards tuam with anngh hill in the background pic2 looking towards rathmorrisy

The flyover at rinn on the m18 will open on the15/07/16

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

AA Roadwatch now saying the flyover at Kiltiernan is now open.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »

Not yet passed there 10 mins ago,I emailed direct route this morning to see what was happening still waiting to hear back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Still have to finish tie in on Northern section and finish road markings

Pics at annagh hill 05/07/16 pic1 the flyover pic2 looking towards rathmorrisy pic3 looking towards tuam pic4 the slip road

Forget that site,This is the only site that keeps you updated on progress,it's now opening 7pm Thursday 07/07/16

• Registered Users Posts: 39 joedomvince

Pics at annagh hill 05/07/16 pic1 the flyover pic2 looking towards rathmorrisy pic3 looking towards tuam pic4 the slip road

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Is pic4 looking north or south? I'm trying to figure out what overpass that is in the distance. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Is the the R347 south of Annagh Cross on the way to Athenry?[/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Is pic4 looking north or south? I'm trying to figure out what overpass that is in the distance. [/font]
    [font=Verdana, sans-serif] [/font]

[font=Verdana, sans-serif]Is the the R347 south of Annagh Cross on the way to Athenry?[/font]

Pic4 is the m17 heading south,that flyover in the background is Laraghmore then you have gortavaura,sheenapark,carthymore,castlelambert and rathmorrisy

Inside rathmorrisy just click on the linkhttp://goo.gl/photos/LPPs5SAWzZ6djScd6

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

I was impressed to work still going on when I was passing through Labane/Caherpeak last Friday night at about 10:30pm!

The sixth flyover over the m17 at castlelambert is now open 1.5kms north of rathmorrisy 07/07/16

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Another UAV video from Robert Lally:
    https://youtu.be/Bx5WBQX94w8
    Impressive progress on this section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

I thought the idea of "parking" rest areas on motorways was a thing of the past.

jenningso wrote: »
    Another UAV video from Robert Lally:
    https://youtu.be/Bx5WBQX94w8
    Impressive progress on this section.

Cheers Robert that's the best drone footage to date

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

medoc wrote: »
    I thought the idea of "parking" rest areas on motorways was a thing of the past.

So did I, but they're become a standard feature. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Galway Bay FM saying the Kiltiernan flyover is opening today (http://galwaybayfm.ie/new-section-gort-tuam-network-opens-today/)

serfboard wrote: »
    Galway Bay FM saying the Kiltiernan flyover is opening today (http://galwaybayfm.ie/new-section-gort-tuam-network-opens-today/)

It's been delayed again there laying tarmac on the galway side, it's going to be tomorrow when it opens

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Czhornet

It's been delayed again there laying tarmac on the galway side, it's going to be tomorrow when it opens

It was open this morning at 5 am when I passed. Its a bit rough in places but its not the final wearing course thats on it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Czhornet wrote: »
    Its a bit rough in places but its not the final wearing course thats on it yet.
    I wonder why did they open it so until that was done?

M18 junction 17 kiltiernan 08/07/16 part one pics 1-8 galway to Limerick pics 9-15 Limerick to galway,the first flyover over the m18 now open

Part two

• Advertisement

Part three

Advertisement