Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3's first two-part drama series The Guards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

yoyo wrote: »
    They need to make a road wars that follows the Gardai around doing drug busts, arrests etc, and not something like boring traffic blues, dont know why they dont do one, the uk has loads of them,

Nick

Sky One/Virgin 1 tabloid sh1t. If they did copy something like that you would be giving out that they were just copying the British who are only copying they American's aka COPS (What you goin' to do?).
    Ballycore = Baltimore ?

The irony that Baltimore is named after Baltimore in Cork.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Elmo wrote: »
    Sky One/Virgin 1 tabloid sh1t. If they did copy something like that you would be giving out that they were just copying the British who are only copying they American's aka COPS (What you goin' to do?).

BBC also does one and ITV, both are good,

Nick

BBC also does one and ITV, both are good,

Nick

Doesn't make them any better. ITV certainly doesn't. I have never seen the BBC version so I can't comment. Just not my type of show, I would rather watch a drama or film. There are so many cheap TV tabloid Docs out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I have to say RTE efforts at Garda ' fly on the wall ' type documentaries are pretty tame - they don't even show them handling domestic disputes.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Doesn't make them any better. ITV certainly doesn't. I have never seen the BBC version so I can't comment. Just not my type of show, I would rather watch a drama or film. There are so many cheap TV tabloid Docs out there.

http://www.itv.com/Entertainment/Extremereality/CopsWithCamerasgallery/default.html

ITV do cops with cameras, funnily enough these kind of shows are all I watch on tv, cant stand tv most of the time,

Nick

• Advertisement

ITV do cops with cameras, funnily enough these kind of shows are all I watch on tv, cant stand tv most of the time,

Strange, its one of things I hate about TV, and ITV hasn't been good in about 15 years.
    I have to say RTE efforts at Garda ' fly on the wall ' type documentaries are pretty tame - they don't even show them handling domestic disputes.

So your just looking for some violence.

So your just looking for some violence.

Certainly not - my point is that Domestic Disputes are by all accounts pretty much routine ' bread and butter ' Policing . Yet RTE do not show Gardai dealing with them - they seem to go for the ' soft ' option of showing motoring offences.

delancey42 wrote: »
    Certainly not - my point is that Domestic Disputes are by all accounts pretty much routine ' bread and butter ' Policing . Yet RTE do not show Gardai dealing with them - they seem to go for the ' soft ' option of showing motoring offences.

The Show was about Traffic. Traffic Blues and the other Customs show was about Customs.

You want Garda Patrol: Life on the Streets :)

Fair point , but do you recall a show that followed recruits from day 1 in Templemore and out on the streets ( a few years back now )?, can't recall it's name but it was very tame and all it showed was them pounding the beat and stopping motorists - pretty much nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Fair point , but do you recall a show that followed recruits from day 1 in Templemore and out on the streets ( a few years back now )?, can't recall it's name but it was very tame and all it showed was them pounding the beat and stopping motorists - pretty much nothing else.
    There was one called "Recruits", i think, back in the early 90's. Showed trainees enjoying pony trekking, walks in the rain and that kind of thing. It was meant to show the new face of the Gardai as well educated young men and women who weren't just lured down from the mountains with pieces of raw meat.

I remember Commissioner Culligan, when asked about the role of women in the job, commenting that if there was a riot, he'd rather have a line of men standing there than women but he had to eat his words after.

(If he didn't, there'd have been tears:D)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tango November.

I think the irish should do something like "Real Rescues" its a ritish Programme that involves all emergany services. If RTE,TV3 done something like this it would be brilliant as we do have very good Fire Services , Ambulance Services and the Gardai are also good..!

I think the irish should do something like "Real Rescues" its a ritish Programme that involves all emergany services. If RTE,TV3 done something like this it would be brilliant as we do have very good Fire Services , Ambulance Services and the Gardai are also good..!

I think RTÉ did a fly on the wall doc on the Fire Service a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tango November.

I think RTÉ did a fly on the wall doc on the Fire Service a few years ago.

If they did a good show on the emergancy services instead of putting money into that stupit "Fair City".

If they did a good show on the emergancy services instead of putting money into that stupit "Fair City".

Well as I only barely remember the emergency show I can't comment on how good or bad it was.

Just like this Drama from TV3 we really can't comment until we see the show. And the producers aren't helping themselves with their "marketing".

deadwood wrote: »
    was meant to show the new face of the Gardai as well educated young men and women who weren't just lured down from the mountains with pieces of raw meat.

Is that what enticed you to join ? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

They have now extended the series to 8 episodes to be broadcast later on in the year.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/wait-goes-on-for-our-answer-to-the-wire-2205825.html

They have now extended the series to 8 episodes to be broadcast later on in the year.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/wait-goes-on-for-our-answer-to-the-wire-2205825.html

Building it up to be like The Wire is just going see its fall. Ireland's answer to The Bill perhaps, but from what we have seen via the promotional material it is far more like The Bill. TV3 are just milking this news. I am going to be pessimistic and think that it won't happen.

No offence to Emmet Scanlon but he has been an up and coming actor for the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

"Viewers eager to see what's being called the Irish version of The Wire will have to wait months longer."

If it's anything like our Irish version of "Who wants to be a Millionare", then I'm running off to penneys to stock up on fresh underwear. :rolleyes:

Christ , so instead of 2 episodes of shyte it's been increased to 8 :eek:

Just a reminder folks - the actors in this show were apparently unpaid - you have been warned...........

Christ , so instead of 2 episodes of shyte it's been increased to 8 :eek:

Just a reminder folks - the actors in this show were apparently unpaid - you have been warned...........

It will be utter shiiiiiiiiiiiiiite.

http://www.theguardstv.com/aiden.html

"The sudden reappearance of his only apparent relative unearths family skeletons which not only reveal a devastating secret, but also threaten to ruin his life…with sexy results"

• Advertisement

shampon wrote: »

http://www.theguardstv.com/aiden.html

"The sudden reappearance of his only apparent relative unearths family skeletons which not only reveal a devastating secret, but also threaten to ruin his life…with sexy results"

I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt until it seen on the TV.

As I said building up as an Irish "The Wire"/"The Shield" is just setting themselves up for a fall. It might be good but it is highly unlikely that it will be as good as either "The Wire" or "The Shield".

Lets wait until we see, if we ever get to see it.

There is no really reason as to why TV3 could not commission a TV Drama with a budget to pay the actors.

Their is no really reason as to why TV3 could not commission a TV Drama with a budget to pay the actors.

There is a reason. TV3 Are cheap.

There is a reason. TV3 Are cheap.

Ok, so there is no excuse good excuse.

19157_224861376026_734986026_3736222_3757679_n.jpg
    Ah Yes, the masked Millbrook assassin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Namabillion

Anyone got a link for the trailer cos the one on their website isin't working?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Ah Yes, the masked Millbrook assassin.

Mortal Kombat!!!

not only reveal a devastating secret, but also threaten to ruin his life…with sexy results"

Ooooh I can't wait - our screen hero discovers that the babe he's madly in love with is A ) His Mother B ) His sister C ) His Cousin D ) An Alien - place your bets folks , what's it to be.............?

Mortal Kombat!!!

Yeah, before he became Sub Zero, he was known as Scrote-Zero. Badomdomtissssssssh.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tony Almeida

Can i be invited to see that video on the opening page?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

Is that a token gay cop, great hand placement.

Advertisement