Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3's first two-part drama series The Guards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

the uniforms above look right but the ones on the website look like cast-off's from The Bill!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

From the Herald (Source)
    "We got a hell of a lot of support from gardai. They ran their eye over the scripts, right down to the procedural stuff and how gardai talk to each other.
    1611_TheGuards_H_414892t.jpg
    Obviously not about the beards then.

...and if I see the characters using a workable radio/IT system, then I'll now we're in the region of pure fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

That pic looks a little more realistic allright.

I'll be watching it anyway :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

"Graham said that the team received vital advice from members of the Garda press office.

"We got a hell of a lot of support from gardai. They ran their eye over the scripts, right down to the procedural stuff and how gardai talk to each other. "

Ah yes, those lads in the press office know how to get their hands dirty, alright.

Hope it turns out well, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭POGAN

guys do we have any dates when this is going to air?

• Advertisement

POGAN wrote: »
    guys do we have any dates when this is going to air?

Read the post by ForegoneReality @ 18:05.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

deadwood wrote: »
    [B
    Ah yes, those lads in the press office know how to get their hands dirty, alright.

Clearing a jam in the photocopier can be a messy job. That toner is so hard to shift!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

This will be a crap show - it's on TV3 , need we say more ?

Chief--- wrote: »
    Clearing a jam in the photocopier can be a messy job. That toner is so hard to shift!!
    Don't forget the great shredder/tie scare of '96. Jesus, that was a close one.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

deadwood wrote: »
    Don't forget the great shredder/tie scare of '96. Jesus, that was a close one.

Only his tie pin saved him, jamming the shredder.

Poor old mary the finance officer dropped her kit-kat finger into her coffee with the shock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭SuperMario

It was then decided by management to put together a working committee to investigate why marys kit kat finger ended up in her cup and what could be done to stop billy mule from impaling himself in the shredder again. After 2 years and a bill of 200000000000, the working committee findings decided to buy a new shredder and an industrial packet of kit kats for mary,,, rather than use the money for something that was needed!!!!!

Anyone heard any more about this one? It was in a TV3 press release as a "spring" programme back in January but not a dicky bird since.

Funny , I was thinking the same thing . Maybe TV3 cancelled it on the grounds '' it was so realistic as to endanger National Security '' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

There was an article on it recently in the Garda Review. 90-minute pilot episode to be aired first, can't remember when though. Warning sign to me was that it said the series was made on a tight budget...

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

"There was an article on it recently in the Garda Review. 90-minute pilot episode to be aired first, can't remember when though. Warning sign to me was that it said the series was made on a tight budget... "

Relatively small budget didnt hold back Hurt Locker:P

wexfjord wrote: »

Yeah , but that's Hollywood - we're talking TV3 here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

i'm sure some people will enjoy it, but for people in the know about procedures and policies, it will be completely unrealistic.

I'm sure that i'll watch the first episode out of curiosity. But i don't think i'll be setting Sky+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Anyone know if this was ever screened ?

I was wondering the same thing so I emailed TV3 on Thursday - waiting on a response.

And (finally) the reply:
    TV3 wrote:
    Hi [****],

Thanks for your email.

Production has wrapped but we are still in post production. A Tx date has not been set yet.

Best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

sdonn wrote: »
    And (finally) the reply:

Good, stuff, what the hell is the TX bit about, could they not just say transmission date..

msg11 wrote: »
    Good, stuff, what the hell is the TX bit about, could they not just say transmission date..

Transmission takes a lot longer to type than tX...Tx...t#ex...d'oh.

Maybe because I used the phrase "wrapped" in my original mail he thought I knew the lingo, more likely he's just a TV3 executive with lazy fingers.

Anyone reckon "still in post production" might be code for "waiting on Fachtna to rubber stamp it"? Presume they wouldnt have filmed it without the OK first but they'd probably have to view it at AGS first before letting them away to transmit it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭klong

wexfjord wrote: »
    "There was an article on it recently in the Garda Review. 90-minute pilot episode to be aired first, can't remember when though. Warning sign to me was that it said the series was made on a tight budget... "

That was low-budget Hollywood, this is low-budget...TV3 :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

sdonn wrote: »
    Anyone reckon "still in post production" might be code for "waiting on Fachtna to rubber stamp it"? Presume they wouldnt have filmed it without the OK first but they'd probably have to view it at AGS first before letting them away to transmit it?

I would reckon it means they're trying to polish the turd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 366 ✭✭Gibson101

The fact is been done on a tight budget could me it could be in post-production for a number of years. ye know how directors get when they have a project and don't want to release it until its perfect.:D

It's TV3 so I'm hoping they never broadcast it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

They may want to rethink the name of this drama since a big budget drama called "The Guard" see Brendan Gleeson team up with FBI agent Don Cheadle.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/wait-goes-on-for-our-answer-to-the-wire-2205825.html

I hope that the show is good. But don't build something up to be Ireland's answer to "The Wire", I know you should play up a TV show but it's not really up to the producers to suggest that it is going to be like The Wire, the audience and the critics will crusify you if it isn't anything like the wire.

The promotional material really doesn't lend it self to an Irish version of The Wire

the-wire.jpg

the-guards-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

It is set in the fictional Ballycore Garda Station and the characters are being described as "young, stubborn and impulsive" and a "lethal combination".

Ballycore = Baltimore ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

They need to make a road wars that follows the Gardai around doing drug busts, arrests etc, and not something like boring traffic blues, dont know why they dont do one, the uk has loads of them,

Nick

Advertisement