Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV3's first two-part drama series The Guards

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

They might aswell have put them in village people outfits!!!! The actors must be hard up for work if their willing to work in this "high" budget series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 356 ✭✭dirtydress

The close bond between Maeve's Guards, DIARMUID (Emmett J. Scanlan), MALACHY (Chris Patrick-Simpson) and AIDEN (Steven Aldridge), is at the heart of the story, exploring their eventful and sometimes very painful personal lives and the dark side of Dublin through their warmth and humour.

Maeve, Diarmuid, Malachy and Aiden....could you add a bit more cliche to that please?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

dirtydress wrote: »
    Maeve, Diarmuid, Malachy and Aiden....could you add a bit more cliche to that please?

Ya if they wanted it to be a real drama it should have been Bridey, Tj, Pj and DJ!!!!!!:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Lads this is terrible .... I'm embrassed for you.

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Lads this is terrible .... I'm embrassed for you.

I guess RTE and TV3 got together. RTE preped us with trip like Traffic blues and then TV3 landed the haymaker that is "The Guards"

For gods sake.........im joining the ambulance service!!!

*grabs coat and kicks patrol car on way out!!!*

• Advertisement

psni wrote: »
    The 'Zoolander' pout on the guy in the middle is just too much...

Is that like "Garda Blue Steelle"

Oh and why is this "The Guards" is it not meant to be "The Gardas" or "The Garda" or event the more apt "low budget ****"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

Hey no fair, I've just noticed that their shirts fit:mad::mad:

Next thing their trousers will be the right length too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

I bet this will be as bad as the garda in fair city... They'll do no research and in turn have caution wrong, arrest procedures wrong, in fact everythin wrong and this inturn will yet again miseducate the public on ags. I.e. "i seen it on telly garda that yous have ta be doin blue steel like yer man zookeeper before yous can arrest me and yous also have ta wave a sparkler in the air and sing ymca riiigght or i'll be on to the garda omnibus about yous" Rant over, im off down ta tv3, you'll see me on the news at 6

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

As bad as this looks, at least TV3 arent robbing money directly from my pocket to pay for it!

Lads please tell me this will be available on Youtube ....I cant wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I'd love to know what the broadcasters and general society in this country have against the Gardaí tbh. Unfailingly in any "garda" I have seen on any tv station here has been one of two things, (a) a gob****e culchie halfwit or (b) a corrupt greaseball. Why can't we get any sort of decent realistic portrayal, like in other countries? It would go a long long way towards generating and culturing a bit of respect for the force. This tv3 thing looks like a farce tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

What up with the suicide bomber...

And what up with the squad car flyin over the Liffey...

donvito99 wrote: »
    What up with the suicide bomber...

The suicide bomber watched the add and thought it was just too much.

The patrol car over the liffey?? Well that was a polis man who just couldnt take more traffic blues type tripe and just drove into the river

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

The actors must be hard up for work if their willing to work in this "high" budget series.

Well, with the downturn in the restaurant business lately, some waiters have had to turn to acting to boost their incomes!

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭stop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭brayblue24

donvito99 wrote: »

Ah, chief's permission:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

afaik there is a lawless ireland 2 coming soon, and ive had a look o youtube and there arent that many new clips?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Jeanxx

Two words. The beards.

Was it Movember when they were shooting this?!!

I'd love to know who the researcher was on the show... Someone who has never heard of a parade obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

What RTE and TV3 should do is combine forces and make a show called 'An Fuzz Te'. The Garda from Ballykissangel, the dodgy detective from Fair City, 'the Guards' and that one man task force from that RTE show 'Single Handed'. It can be Ireland's own Reno 911. The mockumentary can follow the lads as they patrol Tipp town on the weekends; lewd imagery, corruption, violence, murder... and that's just the lads!

Coming to a licensed tv near you soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

shakin wrote: »
    afaik there is a lawless ireland 2 coming soon, and ive had a look o youtube and there arent that many new clips?

sure they'll just get two or three dodgy mobile phone videos or lads breakin windows etc and replay them on a loop for 30mins and have a security manager/expert talk about his deadly cctv system he got

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Major new TV3 docudrama planned for next year: "If Jack Lynch Invaded Youtube"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 highhat

this programme looks gas. can't wait to get a look. my girlfriend knows some of the actors involved, theyre all part of some amateur acting group and theyre doing it for free for tv3. thats already a bad sign but ill still check it out and have a good laugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Actors doing it for free ? Sweet Jesus..... someone suggested the budget for this shyte was 200 Euro , I think we need to revise that to perhaps 50 Euro !

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

the trailer doesn't work :(

the snack ad is pure class by the way:D

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭blah

Can't look at the trailer either, looks like they made it private on youtube and removed it from the official site. Do you think they took your criticisms too seriously? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭mcguiver

Gaurds that will do anything to get a conviction....... even going to court on a rest day, and NOT CLAIMING OSCAR TANGO!!!

"Your off the case, hand over your badge and vip pass for copper face jacks!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

"For the good of the nation.."

/profound thought

"I think I'll just claim TOIL"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

From the Herald (Source)
    Gritty new garda drama will be our answer to The Wire

A new TV drama will follow the lives of three ambitious gardai as they tackle crime on the streets of Dublin.

Production has just wrapped on The Guards, Ireland's newest cop show, which is due to be screened on TV3 in February.

The programme, filmed in Dublin, was shot mainly on location in the old Finglas Garda Station and director Graham Cantwell said that this is one of the first real gritty programmes about the day-to-day work of policemen in Ireland.

"These are regular guys, they are not high up in the ranking," he said. "We're looking at the pressures they have to deal with and how the public perceive them.

"It's not as procedural as CSI, it's more realistic, like The Wire or The Shield.

"It's a drama, it focuses on the individual gardai."

Graham said that the team received vital advice from members of the Garda press office.

"We got a hell of a lot of support from gardai. They ran their eye over the scripts, right down to the procedural stuff and how gardai talk to each other.

"A lot of our script was quite American, for instance, we didn't know how they spoke to each other over the radio," he said.

The programme stars Emmett Scanlan from The Clinic, Steven Aldridge and Chris Patrick Simpson as the three lead gardai characters, and follows their personal lives and mechanisms for coping with the difficult job.

"It is a serious drama but there are moments of humour," the director explained.

"The humour comes from the characters' interaction.

"It's something that we found, gardai use a lot of black humour to get them through."

The show also stars Aisling McLaughlin as Maeve Healy who runs Ballycore Garda Station, and is described as a feisty, strong leader working in a male-dominated environment.

Maeve takes charge with an iron fist, although secretly she holds a matriarchal fondness for the three gardai.

1611_TheGuards_H_414892t.jpg

The one image on the site looks far more 'true' to the look of a member. I'm actually looking forward to this now. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

1611_TheGuards_H_414892t.jpg

The one image on the site looks far more 'true' to the look of a member. I'm actually looking forward to this now. :)

Overweight and shattered after running 100M. Bit like me actually!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

deadwood wrote: »
    Oh dear. Nice beards.
    Yes...nice research...expects the crash of metal on metal as more inaccuracies appear.

Romeo Tango to Romeo Base...we're goin' on refreshments...forever.

Advertisement