Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Made my order friday night and got it this morning - I used the swiftpost option but I was still delighted to get it so fast.

I've spent the evening watching matic59's videos on youtube while playing some poker and I'm about to give it a go - here's hoping I don't rip the face off myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

keane2097 wrote: »
    Made my order friday night and got it this morning - I used the swiftpost option but I was still delighted to get it so fast.

I've spent the evening watching matic59's videos on youtube while playing some poker and I'm about to give it a go - here's hoping I don't rip the face off myself!

Maintain angle and no pressure, especially on the neck. Lock the wrist and don't go over areas you have already done without relathering. No weird angles, just straight down or straight up if you can handle it. Try to picture in you head the razor cutting the hair much like a tree being felled. This is about reduction, your aim with your first shave it not to get as good as you have been getting with Mach/Fusion but being careful not to give bad habits a chance to take hold. Short strokes just like Mantic does in an almost zen-like meditative approach. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭titan18

http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-Pure-Badger-Black-Shave-Brush.html

Is this expected to come back into stock soon?Want to order some things but might hold off if this is expected back soon?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

titan18 wrote: »
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Muhle-Pure-Badger-Black-Shave-Brush.html

Is this expected to come back into stock soon? Want to order some things but might hold off if this is expected back soon?
    Yes they are en route. Maybe tomorrow.

How do you get free shipping from shaving.ie as some on this site have mentioned getting before - do you need to spend over a certain amount?

• Advertisement

seosamh wrote: »
    How do you get free shipping from shaving.ie as some on this site have mentioned getting before - do you need to spend over a certain amount?
    It is over €50 it is free. Otherwise actual postal rates are staggered by weight and are subsidised in an effort to keep shipping costs low.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

just wondering how many shaves approx. i should get from the derby blades that are on the site?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

yabadabado wrote: »
    just wondering how many shaves approx. i should get from the derby blades that are on the site?

shaves vary person to person depending on how thick or thin your hair is and how many passes you do when you shave, some people will get three shaves some might get 4, 5 or 6 shaves per blade.

Like any blade its different for each person, I get about 3 shaves per blade with a Derby which means a 100 pack will lost me just about a year if I shave every day (I normally do)

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Cabaal wrote: »
    shaves vary person to person depending on how thick or thin your hair is and how many passes you do when you shave, some people will get three shaves some might get 4, 5 or 6 shaves per blade.

Like any blade its different for each person, I get about 3 shaves per blade with a Derby which means a 100 pack will lost me just about a year if I shave every day (I normally do)

How do you rate the Derby's ? I'm new to this and am in the process of trying put a few different blades, however I see that Derby's are 1 of the cheapest and am going to try them out as soon as I can

That's a good question Mr Jinx and I for one am reaching the point where I am thinking of buying a bulk amount of Derbys. They seem to achieve the happy medium of sufficient sharpness but forgiving at the same time.

I wonder are there many in this forum who have settled on a blade and now own over 100 of the same. It would be interesting to know and how the process of getting there happened. Was it an exhaustive search or was it a case of 'they're grand, they'll do'?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

That's a good question Mr Jinx and I for one am reaching the point where I am thinking of buying a bulk amount of Derbys. They seem to achieve the happy medium of sufficient sharpness but forgiving at the same time.

I wonder are there many in this forum who have settled on a blade and now own over 100 of the same. It would be interesting to know and how the process of getting there happened. Was it an exhaustive search or was it a case of 'they're grand, they'll do'?

I tried as many sample packs as I could find and ruled out the blades I didn't like.
    A quest for the 'one blade' brand is somewhat more difficult
    as I like different blades in different razors - I find I like a mild blade like
    a Personna or IP Crystal in an aggressive razor like the Slant but prefer
    a sharper edge like the Gillette Black in a milder razor like a New Open comb.

If I do find a brand of blade I like I normally pick up 100 or more in bulk.
    I've no idea how many blades I have at hand but it's easily in the 1,000+ range.
    I've already seen several brands of blades disappear off the market
    since I started with DEs earlier this year.

Anyone here a big fan of Tabac? I am thinking of buying the shaving soap and am wondering if getting the ceramic bowl as well is worth it. Is there anyone in Ireland selling Tabac or would I need to look to the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

I Love Tabac.

The soap gives the most wonderful lather and the bowl is very nice too.

NOTE : Not everyone likes the scent of it though,(I love it - I use the after shave,as balm,cologne,deodorant the works) so I'd advise you not to go on a spending spree if you're not sure of it.

I haven't come across the shaving soap in Ireland but I have found the after shave in a couple of places - Boots keep some,might be worth a look.

Seven Worlds will Collide

I Love Tabac.

The soap gives the most wonderful lather and the bowl is very nice too.

NOTE : Not everyone likes the scent of it though,(I love it - I use the after shave,as balm,cologne,deodorant the works) so I'd advise you not to go on a spending spree if you're not sure of it.

I haven't come across the shaving soap in Ireland but I have found the after shave in a couple of places - Boots keep some,might be worth a look.

Yes, I have read on B&B that it is close to the gold-standard of lather and can provide a fool-proof barrier for the DE shaver. I've read its scent described as reminiscent of the smell of a study/library.
    I took a look at Boots' tabac range which is limited and they don't have the ceramic bowl - they may have the shave stick, not sure. Connaught have them so I might look to them.

Talking about hard to get soaps I wonder if Crabtree & Evelyn's highly regarded soaps can be gotten either off-line or on-line from here. They have a UK site but their international shipping requires phoning customer service - seems like hassle.

I came across a website in the US, fragrancex.com which at the moment is offering free international shipping - hard to believe I know but for the heck of it I ordered a tabac soap and bowl. They say it can get to me within 11 business days and guys in the UK (on another shaving forum) have found that they have delivered as promised.
    The soap and bowl were $13.99 and hopefully this will not trigger any attention from customs and excise as it is under the threshold above which they look for a cut. I'll let you know how I get on. There are some other shaving related products and hard to get fragrances on the site but a lot are sold out.

I like lather and clean scent of Tabac soap but I found it very dehydrating which was dissapointing. On the other hand the bowl alone is worth it a that price.

I came across a website in the US, fragrancex.com which at the moment is offering free international shipping - hard to believe I know but for the heck of it I ordered a tabac soap and bowl. They say it can get to me within 11 business days and guys in the UK (on another shaving forum) have found that they have delivered as promised.
    The soap and bowl were $13.99 and hopefully this will not trigger any attention from customs and excise as it is under the threshold above which they look for a cut. I'll let you know how I get on. There are some other shaving related products and hard to get fragrances on the site but a lot are sold out.

That's where I picked up mine earlier this year, worked out cheap enough but delivery in my case took almost a month - I was just about to contact Visa to arrange a chargeback the day it arrived!

Can't say I'm a big fan of the Tabac soap, frankly can't see what all the fuss on B&B and in the US is all about. The soft Italian soaps (like Cella or P160) or MWF soap are miles better in my experience.

I like lather and clean scent of Tabac soap but I found it very dehydrating which was dissapointing. On the other hand the bowl alone is worth it a that price.[/QUOTE]

I find that surprising as hydrating is something that gets high score for on B&B. I hope I find different - hopefully as good as MWF.
    That's where I picked up mine earlier this year, worked out cheap enough but delivery in my case took almost a month - I was just about to contact Visa to arrange a chargeback the day it arrived!

Can't say I'm a big fan of the Tabac soap, frankly can't see what all the fuss on B&B and in the US is all about. The soft Italian soaps (like Cella or P160) or MWF soap are miles better in my experience.

I've seen Tabac recommended as a good winter soap, along with DRHarris Marlborough (although one described it as having the scent similar to stale cigarettes). Anyone have a favourite winter soap/cream - (proraso too chilly with all that menthol?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭MediaTank

Anyone have a favourite winter soap/cream - (proraso too chilly with all that menthol?)

I find winter leads me towards wood scented creams. Trumpers Sandalwood and Taylor's Mr Taylor are both in that category.

Thanks Chris, the Wars cream arrived today, much appreciated.

...so too did my Kent BK4 brush. First impressions - what a nice presentation tubular box and the red colour is appropriate for this time of year, would make a wonderful Xmas gift. The brush itself seems the right size, I was worried that it would be a little small but it is fine. Good bang of badger from it so I'll have to give it a wash or two. Must give it a whirl...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

any idea when the Floid blue Italian aftershave will be back in stock ?

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    any idea when the Floid blue Italian aftershave will be back in stock ?
    Yes, I would say Friday or early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

After just waiting a week for the Mekur Progress Long Handle to come back in stock, the Semogue 2015HD is now out of stock, I just can't catch a break - any ideas when the brush will be back in stock? I'd like to complete the order in one fell swoop

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Just popped on an order for a new razor and some feathers today, can't wait.

After just waiting a week for the Mekur Progress Long Handle to come back in stock, the Semogue 2015HD is now out of stock, I just can't catch a break - any ideas when the brush will be back in stock? I'd like to complete the order in one fell swoop

D'oh! I'm not expecting any more Semogues this side of Christmas.. There is a slim chance they will arrive but it will probably be just after..

I'm VERY confused - In a good way!

New razor and blades arrived - I ordered them at about half three yesterday! I'm delighted - Was expecting them next week - That's fantastic service, Shaving.ie

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I'm VERY confused - In a good way!

New razor and blades arrived - I ordered them at about half three yesterday! I'm delighted - Was expecting them next week - That's fantastic service, Shaving.ie

One of the great things compared to ordering from the UK. super fast delivery :D

Hah, I've ordered super fast delivery in Ireland before, and it's been a day or two. Maybe three - I reckon Shaving.ie's got it right though :)

Anyways, face fuzz is gone, and the Slant Barber Pole is a beauty to shave with. Said I'd go for a baptism of fire, and popped in a feather. Worked a treat.

Check the Semogue 730HD, same as the 2015HD but with a different handle.
    http://www.shaving.ie/products/Semogue-730HD-High-Density-Silvertip-Shaving-Brush.html

I have both and like them equally. Another option would be to pick up a boar like the Semogue 2000 and get the 2015 HD when back in stock.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I got all excited when I saw the Muhle travel brush, then disappointed that it's not in stock. You'll hardly have it before I fly to South America next Friday?

Advertisement