Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shaving.ie

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

I meant to post a note of praise last week re the service as well.

Ordered a TOBS sandalwood giftset on Wednesday afternoon and it arrived on Friday morning. Top Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Had my first look at the site today and I'm looking at getting a "proper" razor but I know nothing about them, maybe some kind of FAQ on the pros and cons of traditional razors, shaving soap and badger brushes vs. Gillettes latest turbocharged offering!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Maybe its time for Chris to put a starter shaving kit together for sale. If I was starting all over again I'd go with the following for starters.

Merkur Progress
    Muhle Pure Badger Black Shave Brush
    Mitchells Wool Fat Shaving Soap and Dish
    Two Of A Kind DE Blade Sample Pack
    Proraso After Shave Lotion Splash

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

DonJose wrote: »
    Maybe its time for Chris to put a starter shaving kit together for sale. If I was starting all over again I'd go with the following for starters.

Merkur Progress

That's pretty much what I mean, maybe an instruction manual to go with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

That's pretty much what I mean, maybe an instruction manual to go with it!

Here you go, anything from this guy, he also visits this forum.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Merkur Progress

I ment to have this sorted a while ago but I have been side tracked. I hope to have a starter kit section up and running soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,804 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Glad I got me big bottle of Floid before the new postal charges :D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Merkur Progress

Good post - do people generally agree with these selections?

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    I ment to have this sorted a while ago but I have been side tracked. I hope to have a starter kit section up and running soon.

This would be extremely helpful...

Can we expect it to be ready before xmas??

keane2097 wrote: »
    This would be extremely helpful...

Can we expect it to be ready before xmas??
    Yes, In the next week I would say.

• Advertisement

Shaving.ie wrote: »
    Yes, In the next week I would say.

Would you expect the kits to cost a bit less than just buying each of the items individually?

For example I was thinking of ordering DonJose's list of products to get me started - would I do better by waiting till you're putting things together in a pack do you reckon?

Would you expect the kits to cost a bit less than just buying each of the items individually?

For example I was thinking of ordering DonJose's list of products to get me started - would I do better by waiting till you're putting things together in a pack do you reckon?
    It may be a little bit less but the downside is it will limit product choice.

I'm not so sure about Mitchells Wool Fat soap for a beginner...
    It is an excellent soap but I find it can be finicky to lather at times,I don't know why.I think a tube of Prorasso or any of the TOBS creams would be more 'foolproof' for a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭bothyhead

I imagine that for the razor, the progress will win hands down; the only thing people will differ on will be whether it should be the long or short handled version. The sample pack of blades will be a must as well.

bothyhead wrote: »
    I imagine that for the razor, the progress will win hands down; the only thing people will differ on will be whether it should be the long or short handled version. The sample pack of blades will be a must as well.

What about the soap?

The recommended brush and aftershave splash stuff are out of stock at the moment.

Would these be decent enough replacements:-

Omega 63162 Pure Badger Shaving Brush with Stand

Proraso Liquid Cream Aftershave Balm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I'd also vote for Progress, either version, Prorasso or TOBS and a Semogue brush.

An all Prorasso or Speick bundle would also be worth considering.

Mitchell's Wool fat soap is one of my favourites and I use it several times a week but I agree with Crowded House, it's not a good starter soap as can be tricky to lather especially if you have hard water.

I'd also vote for Progress, either version, Prorasso or TOBS and a Semogue brush.

An all Prorasso or Speick bundle would also be worth considering.

Mitchell's Wool fat soap is one of my favourites and I use it several times a week but I agree with Crowded House, it's not a good starter soap as can be tricky to lather especially if you have hard water.

Thanks for the advice.

Can anyone recommend to me a soap that would be suitable for a beginner then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Thanks for the advice.

Can anyone recommend to me a soap that would be suitable for a beginner then?

Creams are easier to lather than soaps I find. The soft Italian soaps are easy to lather, P160 or Prorasso Aloe and Green tea (white tub) would be a good starting soap.If buying P160 you'll need a container or bowl to keep it in.

Creams are easier to lather than soaps I find. The soft Italian soaps are easy to lather, P160 or Prorasso Aloe and Green tea (white tub) would be a good starting soap.If buying P160 you'll need a container or bowl to keep it in.

Nice one - that's my order ready so...

I'm going for:

Proraso Sensitive Shaving Soap with Aloe and Green Tree

Proraso Liquid Cream Aftershave Balm

Omega 63162 Pure Badger Shaving Brush with Stand

Merkur Progress Long Handle 510001

for a grand total of e96.41...

Happy enough with the selection.

Finally...

Any coupon codes!?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What would members have as an idea for non Progress starter kits?

Here's one maybe:

Mühle R106 (a noble razor, tempers and compliments various blades)

Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Bowl Selection (Lather makes itself..)

I'd like to offset the Mühle with something that will give a tingle to the ears of the buyer, which is why I'd go for:

Semogue 2010

Round off the package with a familiar name for the buyer:

Gillette 7 O Clock Super Stainless Razor Blades

Just an idea.

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    What would members have as an idea for non Progress starter kits?

Here's one maybe:

Mühle R106 (a noble razor, tempers and compliments various blades)

Taylors of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream Bowl Selection (Lather makes itself..)

I'd like to offset the Mühle with something that will give a tingle to the ears of the buyer, which is why I'd go for:

Semogue 2010

Round off the package with a familiar name for the buyer:

Gillette 7 O Clock Super Stainless Razor Blades

Just an idea.

I'm a complete noob with all this stuff so as soon as the stuff I've ordered arrives i'll be able to give a bit of insight into how it works for the absolute beginner...

I'm a complete noob...

Then wait for other boardsies to shoot my selection to bits, it is best to get a tangle of middle ground from a few members, rather than just one. ;)

To criticise my own selection, the Mühle can be slippy if you have a shaving hand with any kind of pre shave oil or shaving cream on the fingers.

Then wait for other boardsies to shoot my selection to bits, it is best to get a tangle of middle ground from a few members, rather than just one. ;)

To criticise my own selection, the Mühle can be slippy if you have a shaving hand with any kind of pre shave oil or shaving cream on the fingers.

Don't worry - I ordered my gear last night, largely based on suggestions by Gran Hermano and DonJose...

You can see the list of items I'm getting just up above...

Any thoughts?

Any thoughts?

A fine selection. On a personal level I'd have chosen a short handled Progress, for myself. I'm partial\biased towards Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream too, it has to be said.. You'll see if you get a chance to use it. Lovely stuff.

Well I think that's an excellent selection.I'm glad someone recommended a fixed razor,'cos I'm just not a fan of adjustables and I think for a beginner they just add another unwanted variable while trying to get the 'hang' of wet shaving.
    As you say the TOBS lathers itself almost,I'm sure the Semogue and the blades would be fine too.
    (I've not tried the Muhle razor - Merkur 34HD possible alternative)

I'm partial\biased towards Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream too, it has to be said.. You'll see if you get a chance to use it. Lovely stuff.

Looks like a lovely set alright - I'd say I'll order it next time I'm getting something just to try it out based on your recommendation...

It's a pity you weren't around four or five hours ago when I was ordering :pac:

Looks like a lovely set alright - I'd say I'll order it next time I'm getting something just to try it out based on your recommendation...

Re: TOBS

Yes, it's very nice. It makes a good lather, and the scents are herbal without being flowery. I have lemon and lime, which has a nice zing to it - I don't know if I would quite call the scent citrus, but it is nice. I also have avocado, which is gorgeous. It reminds me of the smell of freshly dug soil, or perhaps the smell you get from damp forest leaves; quite earthy. I also like proraso in the tub; it's gently mentholated, without being too invigorating. I think Taylor's has a reputation for being slightly easier to leather, though personally I've no problems with proraso.

Merkur 34HD possible alternative

Yup, the lack of adjustment might be a positive thing for beginners. The Merkur range are pure German engineering, which will last a lifetime. It's quite possible it would be a user's only razor purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭GD

Hard to go wrong with either the TOBS or Proraso creams.

The Proraso ASB is really nice as well.

Reading all these choices has me reaching for the credit card again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭seosamh

I just tried Mitchell's Wool Fat and all I can say is 'Wow'. I followed the B&B guide to getting a great lather and had creamy lather worked up in no time. It provided great cushion and slickness for 3 passes and I think this is a keeper.
    I want to try out the Speick shaving cream I just got but now I am in no hurry!

Advertisement