Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Access course lecture in UCD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭TirNaNog.

Larianne wrote: »
    They gutted the Chemistry building?? Bout friggin time!!

As Chet said, it may seem pointless now doing the learning journal etc. but it really does help. I'll be off out tomorrow to buy a brand spanking new one for next week!!

Shea's the man if you need help for anything so don't be afraid to ask. Also, don't be afraid to go to the Maths Support Centre if you need to. ;)

It WILL all start to make sense eventually!!

Thanks I think I will be using the maths centre alot as the course gets on :)

I dont have a clue about these journals..what is it just like a diary thing where do you buy them??:o;):)

YOu'll be doing a Maths presentation too. Ha ha :pac:

No way maths AND the 7minute chemistry powerpoint presentation....:eek::eek::D:D

How long is the maths presentation or are you messing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

She isn't! I arrived an hour late and half drunk/half hungover for mine. (i'm not normally a big drinker!) That was a bad idea...

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Chet T16 wrote: »
    She isn't! I arrived an hour late and half drunk/half hungover for mine. (i'm not normally a big drinker!) That was a bad idea...

:D

You did remarkably well though!!

Yeah the Maths thing is a group effort. It's 15 minutes but for some reason I found that one less nerveracking than the Study skills one. :confused: (that's coz Andrew Wiles RAWKS!)

For the learning journal just get a small notebook in Easons/Reads and write about your day in class, what you learnt, how you felt about it, where you hope to use that knowledge, etc. Have a seperate entry for Maths/Chem/Study Skills.

Also have a look at them online. Don't fall back on entries though!!

Katherina...

• Advertisement

How you guys getting on so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Not bad, I rocked the library today;)

The first part of the journal is due in November, I'm keeping up to date with my entries but I am concerned about the summary part (1500 words). What is the summary exactly? Is it something new or an edited version of the journal itself.

That's good to hear. I lived in the library. TCD Hamilton library is just not the same. :(

With the summary, it's just you reflecting over what way you have studied the past few months and how the learning journal helped you with your study plans.. If you think it did help you keep on top of study or not etc.

I would go with writing about it helping ;)

Actually from what i remember i think my first one started off saying how i thought they were a crap idea! I must read it again

Hahaa just read my first journal and the summary. I'm such a brown noser :D

• Advertisement

Ah Shea loves a bit of that. :) But in fairness the things do work! I need to get one pronto!!! :o

That's good to hear. I lived in the library. TCD Hamilton library is just not the same. :(

With the summary, it's just you reflecting over what way you have studied the past few months and how the learning journal helped you with your study plans.. If you think it did help you keep on top of study or not etc.

Do you not like the library in TCD? I thought it was supposed to be nicee!!

when doing lab reports,
    If using a diagram or photo from the internet should one give reference to the site in which it originated or is this not required
    also how many sentences did ye past pupils write for the intro and conclusion??
    Muchas gracias

TirNaNog. wrote: »
    when doing lab reports,
    If using a diagram or photo from the internet should one give reference to the site in which it originated or is this not required
    also how many sentences did ye past pupils write for the intro and conclusion??
    Muchas gracias

Yes for the references

2 or 3 lines for the intro is all i have

Yes for the references

2 or 3 lines for the intro is all i have

Ah feck,
    Instead of drawing diagrams i got some from different sites as I taught they would look nicer...now i'll have to search the net again to take note of the sites they originated from....
    I thought references was only for text u read in a book .....
    I done about 10 sentences for the intro ,,,,just wondering about the conclusion,,, say around 300 words??
    Are the Labs marked strictly??

Ah feck,
    Instead of drawing diagrams i got some from different sites as I taught they would look nicer...now i'll have to search the net again to take note of the sites they originated from....
    I thought references was only for text u read in a book .....
    I done about 10 sentences for the intro ,,,,just wondering about the conclusion,,, say around 300 words??
    Are the Labs marked strictly??

They won't be checking the picture references ;)

I can't remember what marks i got, probably lots :p What labs are you doing? You can have a look at mine if you want. Don't want to be tempting you if they're the same labs tho!

They won't be checking the picture references ;)

I can't remember what marks i got, probably lots :p What labs are you doing? You can have a look at mine if you want. Don't want to be tempting you if they're the same labs tho!

We done 2 so far,they are not due for another few weeks but I wanna get them done and out of the way,titration and metal-acid displacement reaction,I nearly have the titration one done just need to write the conclusion,and half way through the displacement Lab report,I think I'm doing good enough with them
    just dont really know how much to write on each part
    he said around 4 pages mine will be around 6 when finished
    Oh yeah the 1st stochiometry assign is due next week
    I'm doing fine considering I didnt do my leaving cert
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Do we have christmas exams list the rest of UCD?

I looked on the timetable thing on UCDs website,doesnt seem to be anything for us on it,I also logged in to the SIS portal and our exam timetable is blank.
    It would be cool to get the exams in the morning :pac:

Your exams will be at normal class time. Not sure when in December.

• Advertisement

Your exams will be at normal class time. Not sure when in December.

On the information handout thing we got when we started its says exams dates 14 and 16 of dec,,I was just wondering what time of day/night they were at

Oh right. Well you'll have your Chemistry on the Monday and Maths on the Wednesday at normal class time. So 6pm.

Oh right. Well you'll have your Chemistry on the Monday and Maths on the Wednesday at normal class time. So 6pm.

Chemistrys first!how long?3 hours each,how did u find it?

Once you study and look over the past papers you'll be grand. Got 96% in Chemistry. :D

Once you study and look over the past papers you'll be grand. Got 96% in Chemistry. :D

Very good!!!!
    Yeah good idea i'll have to check out the past exam papers
    :pac:

I'm wondering if I should go to our 2nd IT class tomorrow morning,the first one was kinda silly,I'm not sure whats covered in the 2nd one,anyone remember when the important stuff gets covered like how to use powerpoint

Oh it's ridiculous. Wouldn't bother getting up early on a Saturday morning for it.
    She doesn't show you much in Powerpoint either - pretty much figure it out yourself!

She should have given you a timetable of what she will be covering throughout the year, no?

Hi,
    For the first IT session we had some guy Mr Hackett,on the course content sheet we get when we start it names the topics that are covered,but I'm not sure what order they go in ,Just wondering if I would miss anything,sure I can ask my bro to show me how to do a powerpoint,
    Ah thats grand so I'll have a nice lie in!!:);)

Hi,
    For the first IT session we had some guy Mr Hackett,on the course content sheet we get when we start it names the topics that are covered,but I'm not sure what order they go in ,Just wondering if I would miss anything,sure I can ask my bro to show me how to do a powerpoint,
    Ah thats grand so I'll have a nice lie in!!:);)

Really? haha

Yeah I went to two classes. Unless you're really bad with computers I don't think they're worth going to - but that's my opinion. You only get a very few lie-ins on Saturdays doing the course so take them while you can!!

How's the learning journal going?

• Advertisement

I gonna start my summary for the learning journal soon,Ive been filling it in 2-3 times a week,what kind of references did you include in your summary?
    like you took ideas out of that stella cotrell study book?
    Do you use a journal in TCD?:pac:

Advertisement