Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Heading into my final few months as a student of UCC and I'll miss it terribly.

Take it all in 1st years. It's a terrific place. PM for advice, tips, concerns and I'll be happy to help out. BA in Arts and MA in History (fingers crossed on the last one ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 25 maii95

hi has anyone received info packs yet about registration ? and also wondering will we be getting book lists with it ? :confused:

maii95 wrote: »
    and also wondering will we be getting book lists with it ? :confused:

Likely you won't receive book lists. Nominally the lecturers tell you what course book you need. In some cases, you won't even need books.

If you do need them, I recommend checking out the student union book shop or John Smith's second hand section. Failing that, have a look online on Amazon.co.uk/.com. You'll likely save a lot of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 maii95

thanks for the advice i really appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭HowAreWe

I'm a bit worried I'll be in an awful state for freshers fest , its the day after my debs. Is it crucial to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭claireblossom

HowAreWe wrote: »
    I'm a bit worried I'll be in an awful state for freshers fest , its the day after my debs. Is it crucial to go?

I'm in the same situation, except I'll have to make the journey from Kildare, I'd rather sacrifice the debs for this but my tickets and dress are bought now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

Info packs will be going out in the mail next week. I should know as I packed a few hundred of them last year and I'll be doing the same this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

HowAreWe wrote: »

I don't think so. Freshers' week is the whole following week, you'll have plenty of time to get to know people. I think freshers fest started the year I started, but I don't remember going to it...possibly it has gotten better since but wouldn't worry about it tbh.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Feels a bit weird that I don't have to get ready to go back to college, or any other form of education, this September. The four years in UCC really flew by.

Enjoy your time there first years, it's a great college.

I know - its kinda weird alright! Have to go back on 22nd of Oct to graduate, was kinda thinking about not going, because I have to come back from the UK for it

Its different for me though - last year, we had started already, and were teaching in schools, and its the exact same for me again this year, so its different.

Thinking about coming back to do a masters - must get onto the library website before my access expires so I can download a load of articles!

I know - its kinda weird alright! Have to go back on 22nd of Oct to graduate, was kinda thinking about not going, because I have to come back from the UK for it

You gotta go to your graduation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Anyone here know what the gaelic football or hurling setup is after 1st year? how many teams there are, what the standard is like :), etc. Played a bit of fresher football last year but I don't know if I'll bother doing it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Riverrunner

Hey, I was wondering if there is a way to do a language alongisde your degree, I have a friend in Dublin who did some sort of cert. in Irish last year and I just want to know if you can do that in Cork for other languages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Palytoxin wrote: »
    Anyone here know what the gaelic football or hurling setup is after 1st year? how many teams there are, what the standard is like :), etc. Played a bit of fresher football last year but I don't know if I'll bother doing it this year.

I think there is 3 hurling and football teams..did you play with the 1st or 2nd fresher team..id say just go to the clubs and socs day and you will find out.

closeline wrote: »
    I think there is 3 hurling and football teams..did you play with the 1st or 2nd fresher team..id say just go to the clubs and socs day and you will find out.
    I played with the second, if I was going to do it at all it would only be for the craic and as something to do. The standard's probably fairly high on them if there's only 3 teams, so I probably won't bother, probably wouldn't make it anyway, I'd be an average enough player at both.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭shane9689

DAPOS1993 wrote: »
    Yeah, I guess you're right. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it, it'll just be new to me.....to everyone really. Thanks for all the help!!

for me too, i dont know anyone in the south of ireland, nevermind cork!
    so were all in the same lonely boat, together.

Knex. wrote: »
    Heading into my 4th year of college in UCC and this is probably my first time even looking at this forum. :o

Can't wait for college to be back, even if I will have to face crappy Irish weather after 6 months away :D

My advice to all ye freshers is to get involved in some societies early, some of them are a great laugh and really do enhance the college experience.

I waited until 2nd year before I even became part of E&S's(Entrepreneurial and Social, UCC's biggest society), promo team and I instantly regretted not doing something in 1st year.

If any of ye have any questions feel free to PM or whatever.

what im worried about, is joining societies and then showing up knowing no one haha.. i mean do they make it easy for new comers like me? or do i have to somehow get to know afew people first before showing up XD haha

shane9689 wrote: »
    what im worried about, is joining societies and then showing up knowing no one haha.. i mean do they make it easy for new comers like me? or do i have to somehow get to know afew people first before showing up XD haha
    No you'll be grand, you could bring a friend if you wanted, or go a bit early to chat to a few people before it gets busy, the main thing is just to make conversation with whoever you can! Don't be afraid of introducing yourself to a group either, everyone will be in the same boat, and after going the first time you'll know a few people so you won't be as nervous as the first time!

No you'll be grand, you could bring a friend if you wanted, or go a bit early to chat to a few people before it gets busy, the main thing is just to make conversation with whoever you can! Don't be afraid of introducing yourself to a group either, everyone will be in the same boat, and after going the first time you'll know a few people so you won't be as nervous as the first time!

im not a shy person but im terrible at introductions (my weakpoint).
    yeah i cant bring a friend because i have no friends..no but really, i dont have freinds because i dont know anyone in cork, im gonig to moving there (im from galway)
    yeah i suppose be there early is the best thing. thanks

yeah i cant bring a friend because i have no friends..no but really, i dont have freinds because i dont know anyone in cork, im gonig to moving there (im from galway)
    Well I'm the same and I still got to know people! Sure if you get to know a few people in your class first, and ask them if they'd like to go with you, the worst they can say is no!, most people would be glad to get to know more people and get involved in a few societies!
    It's easy to talk to people in your class at the start, everyone is in the same boat and nobody knows each other, just sit beside someone and introduce yourself, both you and them will be glad you did!
    I moved down from Laois and knew a few people and one in my class, but I still had to get to know the others. I think you're nearly better off if you don't know anyone because then you don't just sit with them the whole time and never meet anyone else! I wouldn't be that chatty or extroverted but if you make any effort at all to talk to people you'll be grand!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm rather socially awkward but still turned up to a good few society events including a group trip in one of the societies that I had never attended previously (admittedly that was slightly awkward initially). :pac: If a ucc boardsie meetup is properly arranged this year, you can get to know a few boards members that will probably attend one or two of the societies you're interested in. :) If not, simply wing it and turn up to some of the societies first events of the year, there will be plenty of people in the same boat.

• Advertisement

Well I'm the same and I still got to know people! Sure if you get to know a few people in your class first, and ask them if they'd like to go with you, the worst they can say is no!, most people would be glad to get to know more people and get involved in a few societies!
    It's easy to talk to people in your class at the start, everyone is in the same boat and nobody knows each other, just sit beside someone and introduce yourself, both you and them will be glad you did!
    I moved down from Laois and knew a few people and one in my class, but I still had to get to know the others. I think you're nearly better off if you don't know anyone because then you don't just sit with them the whole time and never meet anyone else! I wouldn't be that chatty or extroverted but if you make any effort at all to talk to people you'll be grand!! :)

yeah your probably right. From past experiences i find theres always atleast one person to talk to anyways..thanks

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I'm rather socially awkward but still turned up to a good few society events including a group trip in one of the societies that I had never attended previously (admittedly that was slightly awkward initially). :pac: If a ucc boardsie meetup is properly arranged this year, you can get to know a few boards members that will probably attend one or two of the societies you're interested in. :) If not, simply wing it and turn up to some of the societies first events of the year, there will be plenty of people in the same boat.

yeah true, im sure ill find someone in the same boat (its a pretty big boat i think anyways), yeah boards is great too for finding out things...thanks

Fantastic to see the explosion of activity in the forum! It was dead during the summer and great to see new Boards accounts opened up.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 captainkrusty

Did ck402 last year and heading into 2 nd year biological science but have the option to do 2 chemistry modules anyone have info on basically which second year chemistry modules are the easiest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DAPOS1993

Alright lads. Quick question, is it alright to bring people to your class party if they're not doing the same course as you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 RainbowDrops

Alright lads. Quick question, is it alright to bring people to your class party if they're not doing the same course as you are?

As far as I know it is :).. I remember last year I went to the medical one even though I do Social Science :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Screaminmidget

Ya, no one will really care, Its always a case of the more the merrier.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

As much as I would love to be able to meet all of ye properly, it may not be possible unless we organise a definite meet-up the last week of October - I will prob be home for the midterm break (schools)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Is it cheeky or rude of me to email a lecturer/HoD and ask what the MS for the Autumn repeats are? Mainly I'm asking because my full module was re examined out of 300 and I had two papers, I dont know if they were marked out of 150 each or not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Is it cheeky or rude of me to email a lecturer/HoD and ask what the MS for the Autumn repeats are? Mainly I'm asking because my full module was re examined out of 300 and I had two papers, I dont know if they were marked out of 150 each or not.

What's the "MS for the Autumn repeats"? In any case, I don't think it's cheeky or rude at all. Maybe the maths department is different, but I've always found staff extremely easy to deal with and always willing to help. :)

Advertisement