Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭LutherBlissett

If you get a first in your final year results, do you get the college scholar title? Can't seem to the answer in books of modules etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

If you get a first in your final year results, do you get the college scholar title? Can't seem to the answer in books of modules etc.

I think that if you get a first overall in any year you get the title of college scholar. So, yes you do. Means very little though, just looks impressive on your CV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I think that if you get a first overall in any year you get the title of college scholar. So, yes you do. Means very little though, just looks impressive on your CV.

I don't think that's entirely accurate. I took a look at the lists of scholarships and prizes and this is what it says:

"Eligibility for an Undergraduate Scholarship is the achievement of an overall first class honours standard in the University examination in the year immediately preceding the year in which the scholarship is awarded, the examination to have been passed with a total mark of at least 840 out of 1200 (or the equivalent, pro rata);

Each eligible student will be invited to submit an application including their previous year’s results (the academic transcript will be sourced by the College), a list of contributions to and achievements in the University and the wider community over the past three years including details of leadership roles undertaken where appropriate, validation from a non-family source of the accuracy of the list, and a personal statement (maximum 400 words) describing their long-term objectives in the context of the subjects they have decided to study at UCC; all this material, apart from the transcript, only to be used when further differentiation is required and in the award of the five scholarships described in section 10;

Students who do not submit an application by the due date or whose application is incomplete in a crucial respect will not be considered for the award of a Scholarship;"

http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/scholarship/sch002.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Byron85 wrote: »
    I don't think that's entirely accurate. I took a look at the lists of scholarships and prizes and this is what it says: .....

I could be mistaken here, but I think that LutherBlissett is on about getting the title of college scholar which does not attract any financial reward or require any form of applying for. You just have to get over 70% overall in your end of year tests.

What I'm on about could also just apply to the facility of Engineering and Food Science though, because I have recieved that title for the past three years and I did not have to go through any application process.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Nervosa

Just got my results back there because I have unpaid fees and the results were withheld, passed both exams I had to repeat. Thought for sure I'd be repeating one and was stressing about it for the last month! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Coffeeteasugar

Not sure if this applies in final year arts. I got a first but didn't get awarded the title if that helps:)

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Palytoxin

Has the look of Blackboard changed for anyone else??

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

yeah, they must have updated the colour scheme - thought I saw somewhere it was being updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DAPOS1993

Anyone doing Process Engineering? What are the class sizes like? Thanks lads...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

DAPOS1993 wrote: »
    Anyone doing Process Engineering? What are the class sizes like? Thanks lads...

Brother just finished first year, think there's around 25 of them but in first year you'd rarely be with just the process class. If you're with all of engineering, which you probably would be for a lot of modules, should be around 100+ in a lecture (depending a bit on uptake in civil, numbers were waaaay down last year).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Neodymium

Would anybody have even a rough idea of the class size for mathematical sciences in first year?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Neodymium wrote: »
    Would anybody have even a rough idea of the class size for mathematical sciences in first year?

Bout 100-150 iirc - I did it all the way through college

Brother just finished first year, think there's around 25 of them but in first year you'd rarely be with just the process class. If you're with all of engineering, which you probably would be for a lot of modules, should be around 100+ in a lecture (depending a bit on uptake in civil, numbers were waaaay down last year).

Cool man, thanks!

A few questions....When do first years generally start and whats the deal with freshers week??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

A few questions....When do first years generally start and whats the deal with freshers week??

It's been said loads already (:p) but everybody starts on the same day - the 24th of September. Not sure what the deal with Fresher's is though, sorry! Have a look on Facebook. There's a page called UCC First Years that might have info on it!

http://www.facebook.com/UCCFirstYears

_meehan_ wrote: »
    It's been said loads already (:p) but everybody starts on the same day - the 24th of September. Not sure what the deal with Fresher's is though, sorry! Have a look on Facebook. There's a page called UCC First Years that might have info on it!

http://www.facebook.com/UCCFirstYears

Alright cool man, my lack of a facebook profile might be a problem:P. Also, I was just too lazy to go back in the thread so I just decided to ask for the date anyway!

Alright cool man, my lack of a facebook profile might be a problem:P. Also, I was just too lazy to go back in the thread so I just decided to ask for the date anyway!

There's been a couple of people have started new threads asking about the date, at least you know now!:p

Ah, lack of Facebook wouldn't help. I had a look at the page myself and there's nothing on it yet anyway! With Fresher's, there's events on campus, lots of going out etc. That's all I can remember from Fresher's last year anyway!:P

There's been a couple of people have started new threads asking about the date, at least you know now!:p

Ah, lack of Facebook wouldn't help. I had a look at the page myself and there's nothing on it yet anyway! With Fresher's, there's events on campus, lots of going out etc. That's all I can remember from Fresher's last year anyway!:P

Nice one...again:D Should be fun so like!

http://www.ucc.ie/en/study/undergrad/orientation/

Neodymium wrote: »

Thanks for that! What're the class parties after the orientation like? Is it like a everyone get really drunk deal or what?!?

• Advertisement

Thanks for that! What're the class parties after the orientation like? Is it like a everyone get really drunk deal or what?!?

Not really, it gives people a chance to get to know eachother a bit better so there wouldn't be a whole lot of heavy drinking. Not that many people showed up to mine, but I had met a couple of girls that day and we all agreed we would go so none of us showed up not recognising anyone.

Not really, it gives people a chance to get to know eachother a bit better so there wouldn't be a whole lot of heavy drinking. Not that many people showed up to mine, but I had met a couple of girls that day and we all agreed we would go so none of us showed up not recognising anyone.

Alright so. Sounds grand. Thanks for all the help!

Alright so. Sounds grand. Thanks for all the help!

Good luck with everything!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭aelune

Is there some form of orientation for new research postgrad students too? I'm starting in UCC as a PhD student and all I've been told so far is to register online and I start October 1st. Any other current postgrads have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

:o

I'm going to be so lost there. Not a single person I know is going near Cork, haha. :p Anyone going for Architecture? (:

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭calnand

The evening class parties will be happening in the new bar and then provably head to the maradyke bar. It's good for classes to get to start to know each other and relax after a long day. They're very worthwhile going to in my opinion.
    Vetton wrote: »
    :o

I'm going to be so lost there. Not a single person I know is going near Cork, haha. :p Anyone going for Architecture? (:

My friend will be going into first year, im the peer supporter for architecture so I'll be there on the 7th for orientation. There's always loads from cork that do it so you'll be fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Will I need ID to get into the bars in UCC? I'm not 18 for another bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Ally7 wrote: »
    Will I need ID to get into the bars in UCC? I'm not 18 for another bit!

As far as I know, they wont as for ID. Only weeks youd have to be worried about are Freshers week/Orientation and RAG week. But I say you be grand! :)

Welcome to all the new firsties btw :D Welcome to UCC!

On that note I must get my ass back to studying or else I wont be in UCC next year :P

Haven't heard of one person doing Process Eng this year!

• Advertisement

Bout 100-150 iirc - I did it all the way through college

Thanks. When do you choose your option modules for first year? Do you need to buy books, or would it be mostly lecturers notes that you would use?

Advertisement