Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The UCC 'Off-Topic' Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

DAPOS1993 wrote: »
    Haven't heard of one person doing Process Eng this year!

You're probably unlikely to before starting to be fair, if there's only 25 or so of you in the class!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 DAPOS1993

You're probably unlikely to before starting to be fair, if there's only 25 or so of you in the class!

Alrighty! I guess it's not a bad thing like. Easier to get to know people and whatnot.

Yup. And your orientation is quite early afair (we were the first day) so you'll meet all of first engineering then, so at least the first day of classes you'll know a few faces. :)

Yup. And your orientation is quite early afair (we were the first day) so you'll meet all of first engineering then, so at least the first day of classes you'll know a few faces. :)

Yeah, sounds good to me. Did you know many people going into it and how did you find getting to know new people? Awkward or what??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

As far as I know, they wont as for ID. Only weeks youd have to be worried about are Freshers week/Orientation and RAG week. But I say you be grand! :)

Welcome to all the new firsties btw :D Welcome to UCC!

On that note I must get my ass back to studying or else I wont be in UCC next year :P

Thanks! Cork is a strict city in general for going out isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

Ally7 wrote: »
    Thanks! Cork is a strict city in general for going out isn't it?

Yea, fairly strict alright. You'll get ID'd going into all the clubs anyway, and any pub with a bouncer, they'll ID you until they remember your face. Any night I've been out in Cork, I've certainly been carded. Your best bet is house parties and the college bars until you turn 18 :)

I was thinking that alright! I don't mind too much anyway, I'm sure I'll survive without going out too much. Hopefully i won't be the only person who's going to be 17 for a bit!

I was thinking that alright! I don't mind too much anyway, I'm sure I'll survive without going out too much. Hopefully i won't be the only person who's going to be 17 for a bit!

Oh, you won't be :) Trust me! There'll be plenty of people in the same position as you! You'll still have the bantz and you'll love UCC!

Thanks so much, you're definitely putting me at ease cos' i was so scared I would be the only one not able to go out and would have trouble making friends, seems like that's not the case though :D

Thanks so much, you're definitely putting me at ease cos' i was so scared I would be the only one not able to go out and would have trouble making friends, seems like that's not the case though :D

You'll be living in residences I'm going to assume? :P If you are, you'll make plenty of friends there, and in your class! The smaller classes it will always be super easy to make friends in! Also, dont forget clubs and socs, best way to meet new people and make new friends! :D Not everything in college has to revolve around alcohol and going out, so really, I wouldnt worry if i were you :D Good luck! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Vetton

Albeit I haven't finalised my accommodation yet (tomorrow, eh frantic business), does anyone know the soonest when we're allowed to move into the on-campus accom.?

Vetton wrote: »
    Albeit I haven't finalised my accommodation yet (tomorrow, eh frantic business), does anyone know the soonest when we're allowed to move into the on-campus accom.?

3rd of September! Depends on where your staying though.

DAPOS1993 wrote: »
    Yeah, sounds good to me. Did you know many people going into it and how did you find getting to know new people? Awkward or what??

Nope. One other girl from my school was at my orientation, but she was in food science so I only saw her for the first five minutes. After that we were split into groups for a tour of campus (as far as I remember, it may have changed and it was a few years ago so bit hazy on it now!) and then went for a talk from the student union and the heads of faculties/schools/departments.

I did talk to a few people and there were a few friends of friends there. Ended up becoming really good friends with some people who I thought I'd never in a million years be friends with on open day! It took me until Christmas of first year though to make good friends in the class, but could just have been our year. Other years seemed to gel faster and also smaller classes will too since it's easier to get to know everybody.

From orientation, I'd say mostly try to remember a few names and faces, so at least you can pick them out on your first day. And remember that everybody else will be doing the exact same thing! If you're from the city you're at a bit of an advantage as chances are you'll know a couple of people to see at least, but that's only really a help for the first little while.

One of the few things I remember from orientation was a girl that I thought seemed too cool for school, I was kinda intimidated by her. She's now one of my best friends and I lived with her for half of college! And she told me after that she was as nervous as I was that first day and knew even fewer people than I did! So seriously, everyone else is in exactly the same boat, don't be worried about it at all!

Sorry for the essay, I'm getting a bit nostalgic about starting college...:o Good luck!

Nope. One other girl from my school was at my orientation, but she was in food science so I only saw her for the first five minutes. After that we were split into groups for a tour of campus (as far as I remember, it may have changed and it was a few years ago so bit hazy on it now!) and then went for a talk from the student union and the heads of faculties/schools/departments.

I did talk to a few people and there were a few friends of friends there. Ended up becoming really good friends with some people who I thought I'd never in a million years be friends with on open day! It took me until Christmas of first year though to make good friends in the class, but could just have been our year. Other years seemed to gel faster and also smaller classes will too since it's easier to get to know everybody.

From orientation, I'd say mostly try to remember a few names and faces, so at least you can pick them out on your first day. And remember that everybody else will be doing the exact same thing! If you're from the city you're at a bit of an advantage as chances are you'll know a couple of people to see at least, but that's only really a help for the first little while.

One of the few things I remember from orientation was a girl that I thought seemed too cool for school, I was kinda intimidated by her. She's now one of my best friends and I lived with her for half of college! And she told me after that she was as nervous as I was that first day and knew even fewer people than I did! So seriously, everyone else is in exactly the same boat, don't be worried about it at all!

Sorry for the essay, I'm getting a bit nostalgic about starting college...:o Good luck!

Brilliant answer:D Thanks a million. It just sucks a little as none of my friends are doing any Eng courses like so it's just a balls having to start over again!!!

No don't think of it like that! This way you're free to make new friends! I think it may have been harder for people who came in knowing people to integrate at first actually - simply because they already had a group so didn't make much of an effort. Most of my friends are people who also came into it knowing nobody else.

I also lived with strangers for my first year. Both of these things were good I think, it's better for meeting new people and expanding your circle of friends.

No don't think of it like that! This way you're free to make new friends! I think it may have been harder for people who came in knowing people to integrate at first actually - simply because they already had a group so didn't make much of an effort. Most of my friends are people who also came into it knowing nobody else.

I also lived with strangers for my first year. Both of these things were good I think, it's better for meeting new people and expanding your circle of friends.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to it, it'll just be new to me.....to everyone really. Thanks for all the help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭claireblossom

Yeah, I'm coming from Kildare so I'm a bit worried about making friends too :p
    Anyone staying in Victoria lodge? Booked my accommodation there yesterday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Neodymium wrote: »
    Thanks. When do you choose your option modules for first year? Do you need to buy books, or would it be mostly lecturers notes that you would use?

I think rebel girl was referring to mathematical studies, taken through Arts. The mathematical sciences class is significantly smaller. In first year you're in with physics a lot, and there's about 70 overall. By third year there's about 20 in financial mathematics and about 8 in normal mathematics, not including those taking half-math half-physics.

You choose options in mid-September, but are free to change them until the end of October, I think. If you go up to the Math Soc and Physoc stands at Freshers Fest they might be willing to give you some advice on what options to choose - you can send my a PM too, if you like.

For books, there's one compulsorily one in first year I think. Maths books are generally very expensive. The maths section in the Boole Library is quite extensive though, so you won't need to buy any more - unless you want you're own copy!

I'm a little confused here. The Student Village, is that the same thing as the University Hall? Pictures don't look the same, but the address seems to be, well when I compare them on the campus map. Anyone know how to clear that up for me? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭CaoimheCweeva

I'm a little confused here. The Student Village, is that the same thing as the University Hall? Pictures don't look the same, but the address seems to be, well when I compare them on the campus map. Anyone know how to clear that up for me? Thanks.

I'm staying at the Student Village, it's close by to the Uni Hall so that's why the addresses are similar :)

• Advertisement

I'm staying at the Student Village, it's close by to the Uni Hall so that's why the addresses are similar :)

Ooh, I see. The maps on the UCC site didn't actually show it, so I thought it went by University Hall or something. Well thanks for that. :P I'm waiting for my application to be accepted, so I'm more than likely staying there too. (:

Ooh, I see. The maps on the UCC site didn't actually show it, so I thought it went by University Hall or something. Well thanks for that. :P I'm waiting for my application to be accepted, so I'm more than likely staying there too. (:

No problem :) I'm pretty excited at this point :)

No problem :) I'm pretty excited at this point :)

Aren't we all? :-DD Near enough two weeks away till registration. Counting those days down. :3

Aren't we all? :-DD Near enough two weeks away till registration. Counting those days down. :3

What course are you doing? :)

Would've loved to move out for college but don't have the money. We only live like 20 mins away so it's grand I guess:D
    Do ye have any ideas what societies if any that ye'll join?

What course are you doing? :)

Architecture. :D But I haven't met anyone from it yet. Just my luck. :L Yourself?

Architecture. :D But I haven't met anyone from it yet. Just my luck. :L Yourself?

Environmental and Earth System Sciences, haven't met anyone doing it either :L Ah well, still plenty of time! :D

Environmental and Earth System Sciences, haven't met anyone doing it either :L Ah well, still plenty of time! :D

True that. We have all these fresher events to do so. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Heading into my 4th year of college in UCC and this is probably my first time even looking at this forum. :o

Can't wait for college to be back, even if I will have to face crappy Irish weather after 6 months away :D

My advice to all ye freshers is to get involved in some societies early, some of them are a great laugh and really do enhance the college experience.

I waited until 2nd year before I even became part of E&S's(Entrepreneurial and Social, UCC's biggest society), promo team and I instantly regretted not doing something in 1st year.

If any of ye have any questions feel free to PM or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Feels a bit weird that I don't have to get ready to go back to college, or any other form of education, this September. The four years in UCC really flew by.

Enjoy your time there first years, it's a great college.

Advertisement