Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork/Kerry All-Ireland Football Final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 than

Kerry by less then 5 points
    Kerry by 10 if its a dry day and our full forwards hit form like the Dublin game:cool::P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭dhorgan3

Draw
    than wrote: »
    Kerry by 10 if its a dry day and our full forwards hit form like the Dublin game:cool::P

U serious? This cork team is a different outfit to the one which took serious hammerings off kerry in the last few years...

They are fit and tough...all forwards can score...solid backs, not a bad bench....if they can overcome the psychological aspect which I believe they can, we are in for a good oul' battle!!

As cork and kerry folk know, there are is alot at stake for both counties...not only sam...but the banter which will follow :)

May the best team win...UP THE REBELS!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Cork by more then 5 points
    just hope for 2 weeks of dry weather or else the pitch will be a farce. yesterday, players were slipping all over, but doesnt affect hurling and they perhaps were wearing better boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Draw
    Is the game this Sunday or Sunday week? I thought it was this Sunday but someone just said to me that it's Sunday week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Lemlin wrote: »
    Is the game this Sunday or Sunday week? I thought it was this Sunday but someone just said to me that it's Sunday week.

It is sunday week. Camogie and U-21 Hurling next weekend.
    If a Cavan man is willing to dip his hand in his pocket for this then it must be a good game for the neutrals.;)
    I am begining to think the Colm O Rourke way on this. If Donaghy is fit I would start him as it might be a waste of a sub if he comes on and isnt up to it and has to be replaced again.
    A day for big physical men but also a day for pace and fitness. Kerry should play first 15 and let cork worry about how to counter it. If Jack starts thinking of how to counter cork we will be beaten before we arrive. I reckon this happened to an extent in 2005
    The Kerry fullback line worries me despite performing well so far. Tommy Griffin will never be a natural full back but is our best option at present. Mike McCarthy wouold be a better option but is relucant to play there and I think we probably need him out the field the way he is playing at present.
    If it was my decision I think i would bring O Mahony in for Young. We all know how good he can be and Young isnt having a great season IMO.
    Not a day for Scanlon I think as he moves the ball too slowly and Cork will be all over him. I would prefer Tadgh in with Dara to rough Cork up a bit and win the dirty ball.
    I would like to see plenty of rotation to vary things around in the kerry forward line. Donaghy interchaning with Tommy Walsh and the two O Sullivans doing the same.
    Another concern is free taking. Gooch is not doing it at present and if it turns into a rough and tumble affair I would have Sheehan on in a flash. For all his faults he is arguably the best place kicker in the game.
    If all goes horribly wrong in the first half you can expect to see a return to the twin towers strategy with Sean O Sullivan coming in to kick those long balls that hang in the air and can cause mayhem in the fullback line.
    I hope Kerry dont need to resort to this but unfortunately I suspect they will.

My team
    1: DM
    2: MOSe
    3: TG
    4: TOSull
    5: TOSe
    6: MMc
    7: AoM
    8: DOSe
    9: TK
    10: PG
    11: Dec oSull
    12: TW
    13: Gooch
    14: Star
    15: Darren O Sull

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 than

Come on THE KINGDOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Johnnyjump

Kerry should be favourites but let's hope it's a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Kerry lost 3 times to Tyrone in Croke Park 03, 05, 08

Kerry beat cork 4 times in Croke Park

02, 06, 07, 08.

Kerry beat Cork by around 13 points in '05.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Not being smsart I think its matter of Kerry turning up and collecting the trophy lads.

As Cork fan i hope god im wrong but I just Cork will not be good enough on day

KERRY BY 8 POINTS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Tomthepost wrote: »
    It is sunday week. Camogie and U-21 Hurling next weekend.
    If a Cavan man is willing to dip his hand in his pocket for this then it must be a good game for the neutrals.;)
    I am begining to think the Colm O Rourke way on this. If Donaghy is fit I would start him as it might be a waste of a sub if he comes on and isnt up to it and has to be replaced again.
    A day for big physical men but also a day for pace and fitness. Kerry should play first 15 and let cork worry about how to counter it. If Jack starts thinking of how to counter cork we will be beaten before we arrive. I reckon this happened to an extent in 2005
    The Kerry fullback line worries me despite performing well so far. Tommy Griffin will never be a natural full back but is our best option at present. Mike McCarthy wouold be a better option but is relucant to play there and I think we probably need him out the field the way he is playing at present.
    If it was my decision I think i would bring O Mahony in for Young. We all know how good he can be and Young isnt having a great season IMO.
    Not a day for Scanlon I think as he moves the ball too slowly and Cork will be all over him. I would prefer Tadgh in with Dara to rough Cork up a bit and win the dirty ball.
    I would like to see plenty of rotation to vary things around in the kerry forward line. Donaghy interchaning with Tommy Walsh and the two O Sullivans doing the same.
    Another concern is free taking. Gooch is not doing it at present and if it turns into a rough and tumble affair I would have Sheehan on in a flash. For all his faults he is arguably the best place kicker in the game.
    If all goes horribly wrong in the first half you can expect to see a return to the twin towers strategy with Sean O Sullivan coming in to kick those long balls that hang in the air and can cause mayhem in the fullback line.
    I hope Kerry dont need to resort to this but unfortunately I suspect they will.

My team
    1: DM
    2: MOSe
    3: TG
    4: TOSull
    5: TOSe
    6: MMc
    7: AoM
    8: DOSe
    9: TK
    10: PG
    11: Dec oSull
    12: TW
    13: Gooch
    14: Star
    15: Darren O Sull

A good analysis, but there isn't a hope that Scanlon will be dropped and imo nor should he be. I'd hazard a guess that Tadgh will be on the forty to carry Canty all over the field with Declan and Paul alongside him (Donnacha Walsh dropped). If Star is fit he will start, with Gooch on one side and the other side being the interesting one. Tommy may well have to settle for the bench again with the last place going to either Darran, Bryan or Paul O'Connor. If they feel a free taker is necessary then Darran will be replaced, which would be a tough call to make and would be sure to upset things, him being the captain and all (memories of Armagh 2002)

my team
    DM
    MoS, TG, TS
    ToS,MMc,KY
    DoS,SS
    PG,TK,DecOS
    Gooch, Star, Bryan Sheehan !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Cork by less then 5 points
    Who will win?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kerry... but theres already a thread... im too lazy too link it for you...but yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

if cork can play to their potential and the heads are right(which is what will decide the game IMO), cork will not only beat Kerry but actually hammer them into the ground. i know Kerry are Kerry but they are one of the poorest Kerry teams ever to reach an All-Ireland Final and on a whole, don't deserve to be in it with their awful and very lucky performances against some of the most lesser lights of the game.

Cork have:
    a better balanced 15
    a great mix of youth, hunger and experience
    a superior bench
    a manager they have 100% belief in and complete dedication

their state of minds is the missing piece of the puzzle. If Kerry get their purple patch which will inevitably happen and a few harsh decisions go against Cork, can the heads stay intact or will the bad memories start flooding back into their subconcious? after seeing the tyrone game and after finally pushing kerry in croker last year, i firmly believe their mental state will be determined enough to see them through.

May the best team win, i believe Cork are that team this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Very little hype for this match.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Orizio wrote: »
    Very little hype for this match.

probably due to the hurling final being very good and the fall out from the incidents in it.....

add in the soccer internationals and a few other things, its not big news....i expect that to change in 2/3 days......

also could have something to do with the fact that its 2 munster teams, so may not appeal to a few neutrals.

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    if cork can play to their potential and the heads are right(which is what will decide the game IMO), cork will not only beat Kerry but actually hammer them into the ground. i know Kerry are Kerry but they are one of the poorest Kerry teams ever to reach an All-Ireland Final and on a whole, don't deserve to be in it with their awful and very lucky performances against some of the most lesser lights of the game.

Cork have:
    a better balanced 15
    a great mix of youth, hunger and experience
    a superior bench
    a manager they have 100% belief in and complete dedication

their state of minds is the missing piece of the puzzle. If Kerry get their purple patch which will inevitably happen and a few harsh decisions go against Cork, can the heads stay intact or will the bad memories start flooding back into their subconcious? after seeing the tyrone game and after finally pushing kerry in croker last year, i firmly believe their mental state will be determined enough to see them through.

May the best team win, i believe Cork are that team this year.
    We might as well go home so. Cork are better on paper and on the field. No hope for us poor untalented Kerrymen. :P

"A Better balanced 15": True
    "A great mix of youth, hunger and experience": Youth: True, Hunger: True Experience... False. First All Ireland for most of you're team.

Kerry on the other hand have the Youth (Tommy Walsh, Killian Young, Darran O'Sullivan and Cooper is still only 25)
    Hunger: Donaghy promised us in Tralee that they would be back in September with Sam, and Kerrymen don't make empty promises. Also we're playing Cork, we need no motivation.
    Experience: 6th AI in a row. All the Starting 15 have AI medels. enough said.

"A Superior bench": False.

I take you're Kieren O'Connor, James Masters, Fintan Gould and Michael Cussen and Raise you Kieran Donaghy, Tommy Walsh, Aiden O'Mahoney, Pádraig Reidy, Paul O'Connor, Seán O'Sullivan etc. (All Ireland Medels galore there as well)

"A manager they believe 100% in etc." True.
    Con Counihan is one of the best managers in Ireland at the moment.
    However things aren't as rocky in the Kingdom as they may seem, and the players are all 100% behind Jack on the football field. They may disagree off it, but on the field Jack is the boss, and the players Trust his judgement.

Ciarraí Abú

i think Cork have the better mix overall. doesnt mean the All-Ireland won though, Kerry have the mental edge and vast experience. I just hope Cork can break Kerry down like the tyrone game because like Tyrone, i dont think Kerry will have the sheer hunger to pull themselves back into the game.

of course you could see a similar situation to the hurling, Tipp were the better team last Sunday but KilKenny brought it home thanks to just hanging in there all second half. Kerry have been hanging in there all year except for the gutless Dubs. Cork may well be the better team on the 20th but cute Kerry may take Sam.

i think Cork have the better mix overall. doesnt mean the All-Ireland won though, Kerry have the mental edge and vast experience. I just hope Cork can break Kerry down like the tyrone game because like Tyrone, i dont think Kerry will have the sheer hunger to pull themselves back into the game.

of course you could see a similar situation to the hurling, Tipp were the better team last Sunday but KilKenny brought it home thanks to just hanging in there all second half. Kerry have been hanging in there all year except for the gutless Dubs. Cork may well be the better team on the 20th but cute Kerry may take Sam.
    "Kerry have been hanging in there all year except for the gutless Dubs."

I think is where Kerry hold the upper hand against Cork. You are truely naive if you think Kerry just held on through the Qualifiers etc. Kerry trained hard through them and through the Meath game. Meaning we are coiled and ready to peak. Whether we do or not is really down to the day. I won't deny it, we held on in the first game agaisnt Cork, and were well and truely shown up in PUC. But expect a Dublin-esque performance out of Kerry rather then a Longford-esque game.
    All in all its should be a tight even game, with a draw v.likely.

Ciarraí Abú

and your native to think they didnt, sligo were one lowly well stuck kick away from knocking ye out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭rebs23

I just can't understand how people are making Cork favourites for this one the closer it gets the more nervous I am becoming. think of the Kerry motivation;
    Daragh's last year
    Donaghy back
    Croke Park is our patch
    Team of the decade
    Kenneally last game before returning to oz/ fathers death
    Revenge for Munster
    Keep those Cork feckers in their place
    Cork being cocky
    It's September its Croke Park and Cork have won nothing yet.
    Cork have not won the AI in 19 years and until we win then we can start talking about having the better balance, fitter, etc. Until we win it and if we win it then we start talking in those terms when comparing ourselves to Kerry in an upcoming match.

and your native to think they didnt, sligo were one lowly well stuck kick away from knocking ye out.

I was at that match, and every time Sligo scored we went up the pitch and scored. We were in 1st gear and stepped it up when we needed to. If Kelly had stuck the penalty away, (putting Sligo 1 point up) we would have gone down the pitch and scored 2 more points, no problem. There was still 5 minutes left.

Maybe im wrong and the Dublin game was a flash in the pan and ye'll stick 30 points on us?
    We'll see on Sunday.

Ciarraí Abú.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

JP Liz wrote: »
    Who will win?

Cork by 7 points, I say this with confidence for several reasons

1 Cork have matured this year into the best team in the country, they have pace, power, aggression and no shortage of talent.

2 Cork will not be afraid of Kerry in Croke Park, they are a team built for a big pitch.

3 In the last few years it was a well known fact that to beat Cork you had to take out James Masters. This year we have six forwards that can score and plenty more on the bench if necessary. Not even a starting place for Masters.

4 Six finals in a row for Kerry, a magnificent achievement in the modern era but one that is going to take its toll against Cork. Expect it to be tight for the first 50 minutes but I can see Cork pull away in the last twenty.

5 Even if Kerry build up a lead in the first half I am confident Cork won't panic and will claw it back. They will be up for a battle.

6 Kerry haven't really been tested since the replay in the Park. They have had a pretty easy run to the final. Their performance against Dublin was very impressive but I've always compared Dublin to the English soccer team, put on a pedestal by the media but always choke on the big occasion. Cork had a fierce battle against Tyrone and came through with flying colours.

Of course I say all this as a biased Corkman in the hope we win Sam for the first time since 1990. It's been too long for our beloved county, hopefully we can cross the line and repay the pain they have put on us over the last few years.

Up the Rebels!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Anybody got any spare tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

There is already a thread on this, can people please check before starting a new one

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I was at that match, and every time Sligo scored we went up the pitch and scored. We were in 1st gear and stepped it up when we needed to. If Kelly had stuck the penalty away, (putting Sligo 1 point up) we would have gone down the pitch and scored 2 more points, no problem. There was still 5 minutes left.

Maybe im wrong and the Dublin game was a flash in the pan and ye'll stick 30 points on us?
    We'll see on Sunday.

Ciarraí Abú.

god, take off the green and gold glasses, sligo had ye beat that day if the peno was scored. you were in serious trouble that day, can you honestly say any team are comfortable leading by 2 points and ye only won by a single point? team sport is not a car, you cant change gears as you please.

i think this is the worse kerry side since 1999(that meath defeat in 2001 was a freak IMO) but that doesnt mean Cork will automatically win, it doesnt mean Kerry are a bad team and we are not cocky, many people are still refusing to travel up because of the disappointments of recent years gone by. and dont be ridiculious suggesting a 30 point win.

god, take off the green and gold glasses, sligo had ye beat that day if the peno was scored. you were in serious trouble that day, can you honestly say any team are comfortable leading by 2 points and ye only won by a single point? team sport is not a car, you cant change gears as you please.

i think this is the worse kerry side since 1999(that meath defeat in 2001 was a freak IMO) but that doesnt mean Cork will automatically win, it doesnt mean Kerry are a bad team and we are not cocky, many people are still refusing to travel up because of the disappointments of recent years gone by. and dont be ridiculious suggesting a 30 point win.

Yes. I fully believe we would have won the game, peno scored or not.

Also, the 1999 comparison I can't agree with. I think we are stronger then last year even, as we have pretty much the same squad, and also a Plan A, Plan B and Plan C.

Cork have Plan A... Run your opposition into the ground, which is ultra effective, and nearly impossible to stop as Kerry and Tyrone found out.
    But if between now and then we find out some way to counter that, then ye could (like Kerry last year) be stuck for a Plan B.

So IMO, the whole game hinges in Corks gameplan, and Kerry's ability to counter it, as well as playing our own game.

Ciarraí Abú

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

I can't really see why Cork are favourites here.

Cork have utterly collapsed in Croke Park against Kerry time after time- 4 times in the last 6 years if i'm not mistaken. Even in the drawn game they were annililated and Kerry went to sleep for Cork to get a few goals to come back.

This Kerry team have been through the fire time and time again and the only finals they have lost have been in the region of three points at a push. Armagh beat them by one if I remember.

Cork have made no breakthrough yet. Until they do they don't deserve any favourite tag- I'm delighted Cork are being talked up. Kerry will go whip them like usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

Draw
    no chance, cork by 5pts
    mike mc carthy to be destroyed by p o'neill

kerry's soft centre(not a jibe at dara's fat gut) at centre back, midfield and centre forward to be their failings as well as the handsome man in anthony's pocket once more

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Rebel Fan

soundsham wrote: »
    no chance, cork by 5pts
    mike mc carthy to be destroyed by p o'neill

kerry's soft centre(not a jibe at dara's fat gut) at centre back, midfield and centre forward to be their failings as well as the handsome man in anthony's pocket once more

Don't know if I would agree with your soft centre statement but I hope your score prediction is right. Mc Carthy has improved with every game and Kennelly at centre forward is a serious threat, great at winning possession and his distribution is top drawer. Expect Kerry to break ball around the middle of the field and don't be surprised if Donaghy comes in as an extra midfielder. This will leave Walsh and Gooch inside with acres af ground to exploit. This game is 50-50, all Cork/Kerry games are but I do believe we'll win it this year, Cork just have the look of a team on a mission and nothing is gona stop them (I hope!)

Up the Rebels!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 eslin

Draw
    As a nuetral (Meath man) I cannot see Cork losing this year, forget about tradition, its all about being the best team in the country, Kerry were so bad the last day, most of the year for that matter, Meath gifted them 1-4, (directly into their hands) and Kerry allowed Meath to shoot 16 wides, Meath lost their best forward after 5 minutes, had a stand in full back, had Joe Sheridan playing on an injured foot, wheras Cork have looked the part all year and wont make all the errors Meath did, we knew that from the league, we got roasted, Kerry may be the team of the decade and it is some achievment to get to so many finals but it is beyond them to win it this year. Hope it is a great game.

Advertisement