Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Holy 137 pages.

It would be great to have some of the best apps collected on the first page.

FWIW, I love NOTE EVERYTHING, for notes.

...and my favourite browser is BOAT BROWSER, because it is like iPhone Safari, which is awesome.

also TAP TAP APP, because of the ridiculous power button on this Desire HD and it’s daft lack of a physical home button. (TAP TAP APP allows me to wake the screen by stroking the proximity sensor)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Can't find this on the market.

Hi Patsy.

Gtunes was removed Fromm the market.

You shouldn't have much difficulty finding it though if you open up the browser on your phone, go to google, and type in gtunes.apk.

Download the package from the link provided, then overall the package;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Haven't seen it on the las 5 or 6 pages so has anyone else tried "pulse"? Seems a class way to read news sites or any kind with regular posts. And it comes with a load preloaded.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.alphonso.pulse&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5hbHBob25zby5wdWxzZSJd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Or you could just go to www.android-x86.org and get it for free. Including Honeycomb although Gingerbread seems more stable. Obviously it also means installing another OS which I presume Youwave doesn't.

Works great on an eeePC. I put a touchscreen in my old eeePC and I'm very tempted to do it again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Haven't seen it on the las 5 or 6 pages so has anyone else tried "pulse"? Seems a class way to read news sites or any kind with regular posts. And it comes with a load preloaded.

I use Pulse and have used it for ages, I find it very good for news, there`s loads of feeds you can have with it and the widgets are handy as well.

The only one thing I hate is when you browsing in it the little pop up widow on the bottom tends to pop up when ever it likes and makes the screen size a little to small and awkward to read, other than that, it`s a keeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Chu Chu Rocket

Goodbye productivity

ChuChu Rocket!™

SEGA of America

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.sega.ccr

---

Now featured on Staff Picks for the last day or so.

Market allowed me to purchase this on a Samsung Europa, so it seems to be compatible with even low end phones.

You can move the app to SD, leaving just over 1MB on the phone's internal space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

Adyx wrote: »
    Or you could just go to www.android-x86.org and get it for free. Including Honeycomb although Gingerbread seems more stable. Obviously it also means installing another OS which I presume Youwave doesn't.

Works great on an eeePC. I put a touchscreen in my old eeePC and I'm very tempted to do it again.

Funnily enough I seen android-x86 after :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Is there a point to this or Android-x86, as the Android emulator that comes with the SDK, with the Market installed, would do the same.

Not trying to be negative; I'm genuinely curious as to why one would use one of these other solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Looking for some advice.

What is the best (-looking, yet fully functional) audiobook player for Android? Have some M4B files I would like to play on my phone but cannot find a player that has a nice interface.

Astro Player works but it looks like cack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Is there a point to this or Android-x86, as the Android emulator that comes with the SDK, with the Market installed, would do the same.

Not trying to be negative; I'm genuinely curious as to why one would use one of these other solutions.
    Well I didn't do it just for the apps, in fact quite a few won't even work on x86 if they're expecting ARM or similar and of course the official Market isn't even available. To be honest I just did it because I could. It runs very well on my eeepc, considering it's designed for mobile devices it's a perfect OS for a low powered netbook with a small screen. The touchscreen mod is also relatively easy it shouldn't even require any soldering if you get one of the kits available on ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,786 ✭✭✭✭phog

KPMG have launced a budget app which includes a budget calculator.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Otacon wrote: »
    Looking for some advice.

What is the best (-looking, yet fully functional) audiobook player for Android? Have some M4B files I would like to play on my phone but cannot find a player that has a nice interface.

Astro Player works but it looks like cack.

You could try Mort audiobook player. I haven't used it too much but as far as I remember there is a bookmark function which is important for audiobooks.

https://market.android.com/details?id=de.stohelit.audiobookplayer&hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

condra wrote: »
    also TAP TAP APP, because of the ridiculous power button on this Desire HD and it’s daft lack of a physical home button. (TAP TAP APP allows me to wake the screen by stroking the proximity sensor)

This might be a stupid question but where is the proximity sensor? I downloaded this for my ZTE Blade and can't get it to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,388 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

This might be a stupid question but where is the proximity sensor? I downloaded this for my ZTE Blade and can't get it to work :(

Normally up the top, it activates when your head is next to the phone. You can normally make out a slightly different colour black on the bezel area where it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭harpstilidie

dulpit wrote: »
    Normally up the top, it activates when your head is next to the phone. You can normally make out a slightly different colour black on the bezel area where it is...

Thanks. I got it to work now. Doesn't work all the time though but i'll give it a trial :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Swiftkey X is only 10c on the android market. That's an absolute must buy in my opinion. Various others have been reduced as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Swiftkey X is only 10c on the android market. That's an absolute must buy in my opinion. Various others have been reduced as well.
    Absolute steal at that price. I paid full price and would pay it again in a second. By far my favorite keyboard.

How does this fair against Swype Cushion?

Not sure if this is worthy of a new thread on its own but i tried to download some of those 10c apps and 3 of them were fine but the 4th one says "error: not enough space on the device" but i actually have tons of room on the internal phone, internal SD card and my external SD card.

Any ideas why this is happening / how to resolve it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

$hifty wrote: »
    Not sure if this is worthy of a new thread on its own but i tried to download some of those 10c apps and 3 of them were fine but the 4th one says "error: not enough space on the device" but i actually have tons of room on the internal phone, internal SD card and my external SD card.

Any ideas why this is happening / how to resolve it?
    Same happened me. I restarted the phone and then redownloaded and installed with no issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mashtobi

WATTPAD is better than Amazon Kindle...thousands of books for free.

02 Money...for the 02 money card.

Sendspace...for uploading files

Tune In Radio .....probably the greatest app ever created for Android, every radiostation and popular podcasts in the world....truly epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mashtobi

I forgot to add, in case any of yee are havin probs with too many apps and less space, but hate havin to fork out lots of cash for micro sd cards for ur smart phones, get them from amazon.co.uk http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_4_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=kingston+16gb+micro+sd&sprefix=kingston+16

Dont fret if ya dont have a credit card, amazon take postal orders, but ya can also use an O2 money card to purchase these bad boys too.

PEACE:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ghandee wrote: »

How does this fair against Swype Cushion?
    Never tried swype but SwiftKey is awesome. It recommends words based on what you have previously typed. The words it recommends are creepy accurate. I have written texts where I barely use the keys on the keyboard.

Never tried swype but SwiftKey is awesome. It recommends words based on what you have previously typed. The words it recommends are creepy accurate. I have written texts where I barely use the keys on the keyboard.

Just installed it, very impressed...

The way it recognises from previous writings (sms, face book etc all your history writing style ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Been using SwiftKey for ages on me Galaxy Tab and last few weeks on the Galaxy Nexus and love it. Can't recommend it enough.....

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭jaykay74

For anyone who has problems with space on either internal memory or sd card I just tried an app called DiskUsage. Its under 100k and gives you a excellent idea of what is eating up your memory. I found it very handy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Swype isn't at all like Swiftkey, with Swype you don't press but swype your words. It's a whole new way of using a keyboard, it has a huge learning curve but there's nothing faster when you get used to it.

My missis prefers Swiftkey, she only bought it at full price last month :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Swype isn't at all like Swiftkey, with Swype you don't press but swype your words. It's a whole new way of using a keyboard, it has a huge learning curve but there's nothing faster when you get used to it.

My missis prefers Swiftkey, she only bought it at full price last month :(

Did she buy it for a phone or a tablet? What does she think of it?

Cheers,
    M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

madmoe wrote: »
    Did she buy it for a phone or a tablet? What does she think of it?

Cheers,
    M

Phone, an Orange San Francisco. She loves it, she had been using the beta up till then, which ran out, meaning it no longer predicts words and made it pretty useless, so they kinda forced her into buying it. It's a steal at 10c

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement