Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

back on topic
    I use keyring. Its handy for the barcodes that tesco. applegreen and dunnes use plus it has a really nice shopping list add-on so you just need all that with you.
    its free by the way here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.froogloid.kring.google.zxing.client.android

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Just to be clearer, I'm not aware of any apps that are illegal, but the service they provide to content that hasn't been paid for clearly is.
    So just stop talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

BenThere wrote: »
    Maybe the guideline for discussion on Boards should simply be that if it isn't on the Play Store it can't be mentioned, that at least would be something everyone can understand if not agree with e.g. there could be no mention of the Paddy Power APK as it's not on the Play Store.

It's not an easy issue to define or moderate and I'm not trying to be a smart ar$e, I genuinely want to understand where the line is drawn and more importantly how the line is actually defined.

Ben

Just to throw a spanner in the works. AdFree isn't in the Play Store. Should we stop talking about that? Or the myriad of apps hosted over on XDA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

Cloudcube

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.srcapps.cloudcube
    Allows you to access some of your cloud storage, also zeropc cloud navigator is good for similar

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zeropc.tablet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Es File Explorer can sync with your cloud storage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

MiCr0 wrote: »
    Just to be clearer, I'm not aware of any apps that are illegal, but the service they provide to content that hasn't been paid for clearly is.
    So it's the same as uTorrent or Chrome/Firefox all of which have the ability to be used (but are not exclusively used) to source and download unlicensed/pirated content. Why are we allowed to refer to uTorrent and Chrome/Firefox but not an app? I'd genuinely like to know the answer to that question and who decides? Is there a Boards wide policy anyone can link me to or does it depend on the personal views of whatever Mod is reviewing the thread?
    MiCr0 wrote: »
    So just stop talking about it.
    You do know this is a DISCUSSION board not a NO DISCUSSION thread right?

Ben

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

So it's the same as uTorrent or Chrome/Firefox all of which have the ability to be used (but are not exclusively used) to source and download unlicensed/pirated content. Why are we allowed to refer to uTorrent and Chrome/Firefox but not an app? I'd genuinely like to know the answer to that question and who decides? Is there a Boards wide policy anyone can link me to or does it depend on the personal views of whatever Mod is reviewing the thread?

You do know this is a DISCUSSION board not a [NO DISCUSSION thread right?

Ben

Probably because those other apps have legitimate applications like downloading Linux isos and generally browsing the web. The bold apps only have one, nefarious purpose.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    The bold apps only have one, nefarious purpose.
    I would agree that if something only has one use and can only be exclusively used for an illegal purpose then it should be banned from being discussed on here but I'm not sure any such evaluation seems to be undertaken before something is declared persona non grata here. There seems to be a policy of ban it "just in case" and if that's how the owners of Boards want to operate the site that's fine by me, it's a private enterprise and we have to respect the owners rules of operation. I really just want to understand what the actual policy is.

Ben

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

I would agree that if something only has one use and can only be exclusively used for an illegal purpose then it should be banned from being discussed on here but I'm not sure any such evaluation seems to be undertaken before something is declared persona non grata here. There seems to be a policy of ban it "just in case" operating here and if that's how the owners of Boards want to operate the site that's fine by me, it's a private enterprise and we have to respect the owners rules of operation. I really just want to understand what the actual policy is.

Ben

I agree, but dunno if we should continue to go on about it here, maybe start a feedback thread?

I agree, but dunno if we should continue to go on about it here, maybe start a feedback thread?

That's fair enough DWW, apologies for hijacking the thread.

To get back on track, one of the apps I use most frequently, particularly while driving/travelling is Pocketcasts. It allows you to subscribe to your favourite podcasts, organises them in a really easy to use manner and you can set it to automatically download the latest episodes in the middle of the night when your phone is connected to your home WiFi and charging etc. Here's the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=au.com.shiftyjelly.pocketcasts

So, are we back on track?? :P

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

humble bundle for android

Symphony
    Draw a Stickman: EPIC
    Galcon Legends
    +Galcon Fusion

BTA to unlock:
    Skulls of the Shogun
    METAL SLUG 3
    Fieldrunners 2
    Breach & Clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Llama, a pretty cool location profile app, similar to Tasker and the other If-Then-What apps, but doesn't need to be rooted.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kebab.Llama

I have a pain in my ass unlocking my screen when I'm at home but this allowed me to set an event that when I'm connected to a specific WiFi, then disable the scren lock.

It's worth taking a look as it has a lot of event triggers and actions to apply. And here's a little guide I found, although in my case I have a pattern lock so I select Screen Lock rather than Screen Lock Password. The app itself says it can be buggy, but works fine so far for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Llama, a pretty cool location profile app, similar to Tasker and the other If-Then-What apps, but doesn't need to be rooted.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.kebab.Llama

I have a pain in my ass unlocking my screen when I'm at home but this allowed me to set an event that when I'm connected to a specific WiFi, then disable the screen lock.

It's worth taking a look as it has a lot of event triggers and actions to apply. And here's a little guide I found, although in my case I have a pattern lock so I select Screen Lock rather than Screen Lock Password. The app itself says it can be buggy, but works fine so far for me. http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/better-way-disable-android-screen-lock-connecting-home-network/

EDIT: I do realise someone mentioned it only a week or two ago, but in a different context of switching to airplane mode or something, and it has been mentioned a few times over the course of this thread, but it really is pretty comprehensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I do realise someone mentioned it only a week or two ago

Nearly every week, actually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,452 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Go Launcher Ex has been updated to version 5. To unlock the full version, use the code “APPSALES” or “APPSZOOM” (works through June 1st)

http://www.talkandroid.com/208538-go-launcher-ex-updated-to-version-5-with-new-flat-theme-and-features/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Mr E wrote: »
    Go Launcher Ex has been updated to version 5. To unlock the full version, use the code “appsales” or “appszoom” (works through June 1st)

http://www.talkandroid.com/208538-go-launcher-ex-updated-to-version-5-with-new-flat-theme-and-features/

Where exactly do I put the code?

Found it... Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

dahat wrote: »

Found it... Thanks.

I can't. help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I can't. help!!

In the Preferences section.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,805 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Found it... Thanks.

I can't find it anywhere. Any help where to go ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

Found it... Thanks.
    In the Preferences section.

Nice 1 thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I'm trying to redeem with the two codes above but is saying the codes are invalid

APPSALES worked for me just now. Make sure you use CAPS and no quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Mr E wrote: »
    APPSALES worked for me just now. Make sure you use CAPS and no quotes.

This is what I'm getting

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qlqww26c8llpzun/Screenshot_2014-05-31-15-30-49.png

I tried just before my last post and it worked. I just tried again (I had uninstalled), but it remembered that I had used the code.

I don't think it was a Google Play prompt though (I could be wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Well so I went for the go launcher ex and ended up paying for the boll**ing thing. Anyway now I have a lovely layout but poxy adds keep appearing on my home page. Help me please with a good ad blocker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Well so I went for the go launcher ex and ended up paying for the boll**ing thing. Anyway now I have a lovely layout but poxy adds keep appearing on my home page. Help me please with a good ad blocker.

Do you get ads with the paid version?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Mmm you shouldn't. ..

Anyone know a way to turn off stupid app recommendations within app drawers ?

Been using Nova for years now. While it's nice and stable there have been no new features added to it in ages. Got a bit stale.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Mmm you shouldn't. ..

Anyone know a way to turn off stupid app recommendations within app drawers ?

Been using Nova for years now. While it's nice and stable there have been no new features added to it in ages. Got a bit stale.

There's a big update due soon. You can get the beta now. Android Police

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Well just realised they're app recommendations. If anyone knows how to turn them, id be grateful

• Advertisement

Long press on them and drag them to the trash can at the top of the screen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement