Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

If you are having a crappy time on 3G, slow connection or whatever and want to renew your connection to try again, check out CleanConnect.
    It's one touch disconnect/reconnect to your APN.

Handier than using the 'Turn Aeroplane mode on and off' method.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Pique wrote: »
    If you are having a crappy time on 3G, slow connection or whatever and want to renew your connection to try again, check out CleanConnect.
    It's one touch disconnect/reconnect to your APN.

Handier than using the 'Turn Aeroplane mode on and off' method.

not getting any apps showing up under that name...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Theres a million apps that do it, this is the best imo:
    petes wrote: »
    Open Signal

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.staircase3.opensignal&hl=en

With OpenSignal you can map cellular coverage, find Wi-Fi hotspots, test and improve your reception & get faster data.

Thargor wrote: »
    Theres a million apps that do it, this is the best imo:

I have that app and it doesn't do it. It opens android settings so you can turn airplane mode on and off.

The app I linked to does it with one touch.

• Advertisement

Yeah it does, the big refresh button in the middle of the interface main screen, doesnt matter anyway they're all the same, this one just has signal meters and other tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Pique wrote: »
    I have that app and it doesn't do it. It opens android settings so you can turn airplane mode on and off.

The app I linked to does it with one touch.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Yeah it does, the big refresh button in the middle of the interface main screen, doesnt matter anyway they're all the same, this one just has signal meters and other tools.

The Refresh button just takes you to Settings, as Pique correctly pointed out.

On mine it does an instant refresh, brings up this screen:

7I1tYwd.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

The always listening Moto X Google search thing is available as an app now
    http://openmic.rsenapps.com/

Early builds so expect increased battery use, and you have to install from apk
    xda thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2450131

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

BopNiblets wrote: »
    The always listening Moto X Google search thing is available as an app now
    http://openmic.rsenapps.com/

Early builds so expect increased battery use, and you have to install from apk
    xda thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2450131

On a related note; does anyone know if the DSP manager app thats built into CM 10.2 rom is available to run on another rom such as Paranoid Android or PAC Rom, as it makes the sound quality from the headphone jack twice as good as stock.

I've found very little info on this subject, and I assumed CM made it opensource like PA did with pie navigator.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Themer beta code! ]

Nice one. I have messing with Buzz Launcher a little lately, that allows downloading of full themes also.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rogieop

i downloaded this and had a play about with it. the problem is once you try a them there is no way to actually go back to your old home page.

Some of the designs look ok but it messes about with all your old shortcuts etc.

Had to uninstall to get back to my old home page.

Going to reinsdtall in now and see if they come up with any good new themes in future.

The breaking bad one looks :cool: but its too small and congested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,290 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

rogieop wrote: »
    i downloaded this and had a play about with it. the problem is once you try a them there is no way to actually go back to your old home page.

It's a launcher, so will replace whichever other launcher you were using (Touchwiz, Sense, Nova, etc). To go back to your previous launcher you simply need to go to settings - applications - Themer - Clear Defaults. Once you press home you will be given an option of which app to use to show home (be it TW/Sense/etc)

You can also go into the Themer Settings and do it there, but dulpits way works just as well, it's a nice alternative to the stock launchers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

76,560 people in front of me for a code :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

I've been rocking buzz launcher for the last few months, have 4 home screens customised perfectly and backed up which I rotate between almost weekly.
    It's quick as well, really refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I've been rocking buzz launcher for the last few months, have 4 home screens customised perfectly and backed up which I rotate between almost weekly.
    It's quick as well, really refreshing.

I'm trying to create an account but whenever I press create account, it just refreshes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

76,560 people in front of me for a code :eek::eek:

You realise you don't need to wait?

The code is right there on the linked page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

You realise you don't need to wait?

The code is right there on the linked page.

Thats me, never read the instructions :D Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Mars Bar wrote: »
    I'm trying to create an account but whenever I press create account, it just refreshes.

Not sure why that is, works perfectly fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Anyone got any suggestions in a super fancy game that'll make the most of my shiny new Note 3?

Just looking for something pretty to really show of the power of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Need for Speed, real racing if you're into racing games maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

'FilmOn' for both Android and iPad is probably the best app I've come across. Free access hundreds of TV channels including all the UK freesat channels. (Bbc, itv, Dave etc) No need to sign up or subscribe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭BobbyPropane

Been using android for about a year and a bit now and will post some apps I use a lot.

My games folder with free and paid games has kept me entertained for a long while (although getting bored of most of em now) but still I'll name em out:

Ski Safari (Paid)
    Super Stickman Golf 2
    Pixel Dungeon
    Delver (Paid)
    Bad Roads
    Paper Toss
    Paper Toss 2.0
    Basketball
    Virtual Table Tennis
    Chess Free
    Air Control (Paid)
    Flick Golf (Paid?)
    Wind Up Knight
    Pinball Pro (Paid?)
    Pool Mania
    Pocket Tanks
    Carmageddon (Paid but regularly on sale and in bundles)
    Fast Racing
    RedLine Rush
    Hill Climb Racing
    Airport Scanner
    True Or False
    GunBros 2
    Tetris
    Terraria (Paid)
    GTA III 10th Anniversary (Paid)
    Solitaire
    Temple Run 2
    Subway Surfers
    Tank Hero
    Logo Quiz

Also be sure to keep checking out humblebundle.com , they have started doing mobile game bundles where you can pay a low price for great games.

Sports:

TheScore
    Livescore
    Balls.ie
    BBC Sport
    Sky Sports

Music/Radio/TV:

TuneIn Radio Pro (Paid but free version available)
    RTE Player
    TV Listings
    IMDB
    TwitchTV
    FilmOnTv
    Spotify (subscription needed for mobile deviced, 9.99 a month)

Shop:

Amazon.co.uk
    Ebay
    Adverts
    Donedeal

News:

BBC News
    Skynews
    TheJournal
    Rte News Now
    Al Jazeera
    Newstalk
    Irish Times
    NYTimes
    Russia Today

Flipboard
    Currents
    Pulse

Weather:

Accuweather

Cloud Storage:

Google Drive
    Dropbox

Money/Calculator:

RealCalculator (Includes Sin, Cos, Tan and other functions (Paid?)
    Paypal
    Xe Converter

Miscellaneous:

Wikipedia
    ES File Explorer (Use android like a PC)
    ES Task Manager (Close unwanted tasks)
    HD Widgets (Great app)
    Puush (Allows you to take screenshots of device and upload to internet straight away with link copied to clipboard)
    Adobe Reader
    kik messenger
    uTorrent
    Khan Academy
    TED

Social Media:

Facebook
    Steam (gaming)

Er yeah that's about it

Lads I finally ordered a dock for the first gen Nexus 7 from Amazon US and it arrived today. Possible stupid/lazy question but are there any apps that will work with it and add options to the "daydream" menu? I'm hoping Christmas HD will with the holiday season on the horizon.

edit: Just bought Christmas HD and it does add to the Daydream menu. Brilliant! Any other good ones? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Lads I finally ordered a dock for the first gen Nexus 7 from Amazon US and it arrived today. Possible stupid/lazy question but are there any apps that will work with it and add options to the "daydream" menu? I'm hoping Christmas HD will with the holiday season on the horizon.

edit: Just bought Christmas HD and it does add to the Daydream menu. Brilliant! Any other good ones? :p
    Pretty sure Flipboard is compatible, if I'm thinking of the same thing as you. Pretty sure I read it around somewhere.

Found myself needing the Pocket App lately. Between surfing on the iPad, Laptop and mobile, I was constantly coming across articles that I wanted to read at a later time, and so emailing myself the link. Got my hands on Pocket, put it on my phone and iPad and downloaded the extension for Chrome (the Chrome App Store is really making strides) and its a great job. Nice interface, and does what exactly I need it for. Nicely implemented into some of my other Apps I use a lot like Zite and Pulse.

Finally occurred to me to search for "daydream apps" and it seems Dashclock, Flipboard and Beautiful Widgets are the "must have" ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 _MaSSy

Hey guys,
    anyone know of any apps that let you cache videos or music to your device?
    I was using Playtube for a week and then it told me my local memory was full.....which it wasn't.

And whats a nice, shiny and free or relatively cheap launcher?
    I've been using Nova for sometime, was looking to replace it a few months back but never got around to it..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

_MaSSy wrote: »
    And whats a nice, shiny and free or relatively cheap launcher?
    I've been using Nova for sometime, was looking to replace it a few months back but never got around to it..

Try the Aviate launcher. You need an invite code to activate it as it's in a closed beta. I have 3 codes left at the moment, but going fast. Check out the thread about it. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement