Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Must Have Android Apps and Games?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

steve_r wrote: »
    Yeah, it's very well put together. Hoping for a sequel already!

The music and sound effects are creepy as fook though!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

toby2111 wrote: »
    Anyone got a link?Couldnt see it in the appstore...

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.FireproofStudios.TheRoom

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Reg'stoy

Mr E wrote: »

In a recent Irish indo supplement, this was one of the eight most beautiful apps for your tablet.

Quite like these kind of things, so based on a Boards recommendation; I'll pick it up.

Vikings wrote: »
    Haven't used it too much but I have seen Financius recommended a lot in a few different places.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.code44.finance&hl=en

I've been using this for a few days now and it's a real eye opener. Very useful, thanks for the recommendation.

Reg'stoy wrote: »
    In a recent Irish indo supplement, this was one of the eight most beautiful apps for your tablet.

Quite like these kind of things, so based on a Boards recommendation; I'll pick it up.
    Yep, perfect for tablets. Great game. No cheating though! Figure out the puzzles yourself. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭friendface

I've been using this for a few days now and it's a real eye opener. Very useful, thanks for the recommendation.

I've been using YNAB for over a year, and have to say it's been great. Only downside is inputting the actual transactions into the application. What I now do is export all my transactions (from Bank of Ireland) to a .csv file and then import that csv into YNAB. Previous expense categories (like Sky, mobile phone, internet etc.) are automatically recognised and categorised. You still need to review/approve transactions, which is a good idea to make sure you are not getting charged for something you don't want - it has happened that I signed up for some free trial online and forgot to cancel it, so this is a great way to make sure you spot those kind of things.

Would be interested to see how Financius compares though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Yep, perfect for tablets. Great game. No cheating though! Figure out the puzzles yourself. :)

You just wasted 2 hours of my time :p

Still stuck on level 2. Can't figure out where to use the key that has multiple livers and what shape it will be. :confused:

Looking forward to waste some more time tomorrow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

coldfire1x wrote: »
    You just wasted 2 hours of my time :p

Still stuck on level 2. Can't figure out where to use the key that has multiple livers and what shape it will be. :confused:

Looking forward to waste some more time tomorrow :D
    Click on the key hole it has to go into
    and it will give you a blue print over lay
    to fill in. Easy once you get used to it.
    Great game, pity it's only 3-4 hours long.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Another SwiftKey beta update available
    www.swiftkey.net/en/blog/swiftkey-4-3-beta-updated/

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I play Winter Walk and Flow Free a lot now when I have time. Great quick games than you can play for a minute or an hour.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.monsterandmonster.winterwalk&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigduckgames.flow&hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

biko wrote: »
    I play Winter Walk and Flow Free a lot now when I have time. Great quick games than you can play for a minute or an hour.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.com.monsterandmonster.winterwalk&hl=en
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bigduckgames.flow&hl=en

Thanks!Tried Flow Free and really like it... I think I've found my new time sink :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

If you're into shooters, Dead Trigger 2 is out. It's free on the App Store. Graphics are stunning, by far the best I've seen on any free app.

Shadowgun is a great multiplayer shooter too, really refined.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

GTA V's companion app I-Fruit is now on Android...

Bit late though since I finished the game a few weeks ago!

Apple must have had an exclusive on that app... :-(

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.rockstargames.ifruit

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Chewabacca wrote: »
    If you're into shooters, Dead Trigger 2 is out. It's free on the App Store. Graphics are stunning, by far the best I've seen on any free app.

Great game much improved over the original ,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,161 ✭✭✭corkie

City Maps 2Go Pro - Offline Map and Travel Guide - Amazon free app today!

Don't know if I will ever use it but added to my library of apps from amazon.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Chewabacca wrote: »

Is it possible to use a normal controller with this game guys?? I mean Dead Trigger 2.

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

corkie wrote: »

Paid for this a while ago. Very handy when I was interrailing with no internet.
    Its one of those apps you very rarely use but when the time comes it's a lifesaver

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I got this game the other day, The Silent Age, and played through it, good game but very short:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=dk.houseonfire.android.thesilentage

It has a great usage of time travel to solve puzzles. This game is free but they want to make a follow up using crowd funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭Pique

There was a great game on iOS when I had an iPhone a couple of years ago called Nightjar.

You were on a spaceship called the Nightjar which had aliens on board.
    It had no graphics. Instead, you used headphones to listen to where you were and got instructions from the ships computer.
    You moved by tapping a button for your left and right feet. You really had to close your eyes and listen and imagine where things were by the sounds.

Really interesting concept and well done.

Is there anything like that on Android ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Pique wrote: »
    There was a great game on iOS when I had an iPhone a couple of years ago called Nightjar.

It had no graphics. Instead, you used headphones to listen to where you were and got instructions from the ships computer.
    You moved by tapping a button for your left and right feet. You really had to close your eyes and listen and imagine where things were by the sounds.

I'm not aware of anything like that, but that sounds great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

corkie wrote: »

Color & draw is showing up as the free app of the day for me :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭pah

Fieldog wrote: »

It's awful. Have it on iPad too. 240mb of crashing, buggy sh1te. One of the worst apps I've ever used on both ios iPad 1 and htc one

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fieldog wrote: »

It sounds like a complete turd anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Thargor wrote: »
    It sounds like a complete turd anyway.

Chop the dog?

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Pique wrote: »

"***FEATURING THE VOICE OF BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH***"

This sounds awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭FootShooter

If you want to increase the likelihood of getting your phone back if it gets stolen these apps are golden:

Cerberus anti theft

Probably the most complete tracking app. You can send text message commands to your phone, for example to activate data and GPS then you can track your phone on cerberusapp.com, and maybe even get some photos of the people using your phone by sending a command for the front camera to take pictures. There are a range of other commands as well. Along with Android device manager

Unlock with Wifi:

You'd want to use a screen lock on your phone so the thieves can't access it immediately to remove tracking apps, turn off gps/wifi/data, and access your private data. A screen lock is a hassle when you're at home or at work/school. This app can turn off screen lock automatically when you're connected to a specific wifi network. It turns on screen lock when you disconnect from the wifi networks you've set. There's also an app called bluetooth and Wifi Unlocker which can set your phone to not have a screenlock as long as it's peered to a bluetooth device. But it's only available for Android 2.1-4.2 as of now.

Smart lockscreen protector:

On most Android phones thieves can just pop out the battery to turn off the phone so you can't track it. However on some phones like the Nexus 4, you can't remove the battery. So the only way the thieves can turn off the phone is by holding down the power button. This can usually be done while the phone is locked which is not good. This app removes that ability. When you hold the power button down while the phone is locked, the power off dialog box will appear for a just few milliseconds making it harder to turn off the phone for dumb thieves. On my Nexus 4 you can still hold the power button down for a while to turn off the phone, but hopefully not many thieves will know you can do this.

Also make sure your phone is charged often so you can track it as long as possible if it gets stolen.

Any other great apps for protecting your phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any other great apps for protecting your phone?

Cool Apps!!Lookout,Android Lost and GotYa! are pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any equivalent of iPanoramic app available on the Android Platform?
    A mate recommended this app but it is only available via the Apple Store.Is there any equivalent of this app available on the Android platform?Is there any equivalent that can be sideloaded?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

seligehgit wrote: »
    Any equivalent of iPanoramic app available on the Android Platform?
    A mate recommended this app but it is only available via the Apple Store.Is there any equivalent of this app available on the Android platform?Is there any equivalent that can be sideloaded?

Pano

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement